News:

Main Menu

Graphic Novels

Started by Mobats, September 09, 2012, 12:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Self Destruct

Garth Ennis was great during his Preacher run, too.

I just finished the fifth of the graphic novels for the Walking Dead, and I'm slowly working my way through the series.  So far, they're quite good, though those 'oh shit' moments happen...a lot. lol

Lilias

I love Asterix (especially in the original French). :-)

Other faves (thanks to 9 magazine for introducing me to most of them!):
- The Books of Magic (Gaiman!)
- The Sandman (moar Gaiman!)
- The Metabarons saga (sci-fi tragedy and enough blood to swim in)
- Raptors (vampires!)
- The Regulator (steampunk galore!)
- Delta 99 (anyone remember that one?)

Yeah, Alejandro Jodorowsky is a bit of a favourite...
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Skynet

When it comes to graphic novels, I'm very discerning.  I don't buy monthly issues unless I hear rave reviews about the story, and I prefer buying collected anthologies over individual issues.

That said, I really like superhero comics and manga.  I'm a big fan of Batman; I grew up in the Iron Age of the 90s and with the , when superheroes were expected to be dark and grim.  The Batman of the Animated Series had everything I wanted in a superhero as a kid: he fought bad guys and protected the innocent, but he was intimidating and could instill fright into criminals.  In comparison to Superman, Batman seemed more badass and professional, and his lack of superpowers and loss of parents made him more relatable as a character.

My favorite stories are The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall, Year One, and The Long Halloween/Dark Victory.

As for manga, I really like Full-Metal Alchemist.  It's my favorite series, bar none.