Tomorrow night's presidential debate

Started by Teo Torriatte, October 02, 2012, 08:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Torriatte

Does it even really matter that much to anyone? For me, there isn't anything that Romney could say in the span of a few hours that could possibly get me to change my mind and vote for him. And I certainly don't think that landing a few "zingers" is going to do him a bit of good, either.

Similarly, I imagine that there are people already set to vote for Romney and that nothing Obama could say will sway them, either. Especially the people who don't even think he should legally be president. (As kooky and fringy as those people are anyway)

Is there really such thing as an undecided voter 30 days out, in this day and age?

Oniya

I know that Mr. Oniya was hesitant until quite recently.  See, although he dislikes many of Romney's policies, he's also concerned about the fact that Obama hasn't been able to get anything done.  I'm not sure, but it may have been me pointing out that we've also got a good chunk of Congress getting decided on that settled him in camp.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

elone

I think that there may be quite a few people on the fence, at least enough to sway the outcome. If either candidate does very poorly it may make a difference. Romney, who I despise, stands to have an opportunity to sway over some of those more than Obama and he really has nothing to lose in the debate since he is behind in the polls. Personally, I think he will come across as a stiff, someone without any clear direction, and a candidate whose ideas change with the wind.

The debates are often more about appearance than substance depending on the moderator's control of the situation. It is up to each of them to show how presidential they may be. We already know about Obama, the question is whether or not Romney can come across as genuine, particularly after his 47% remarks.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Beguile's Mistress

Romney's answers to the questions everyone has been asking are going to be telling provided those questions are on the agenda.  Past debates have swung voters and this one just might as well.

mia h

This is where Romney's gaffes over the last couple of weeks actually help him. Right now everyone is expecting Mitt to make a total fool of himself; trip over on the way to the podium, forget his own name, set his own hair on fire take your pick. But if he comes out and delivers a decent performance then Mitt will get a bump in the polls for not being as bad as everyone thought he was.

Of course Mitt does get a bump in the polls it's going to be funny watching Fox contorting themselves from "polls that put Obama ahead are wrong because they don't feel right and they aren't scientific" to "Romney gaining in the polls that are now totally accurate, scientific and feel right"
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

elone

Not totally sure of this but didn't Fox's own poll put Obama ahead?
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Oniya

Don't know if it's owned by FOX, but the Rand poll is a conservative one that puts Obama in the lead.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

mia h

Quote from: elone on October 02, 2012, 02:42:41 PM
Not totally sure of this but didn't Fox's own poll put Obama ahead?

Yes, they put Obama up by 10 points in Ohio last week. But then they started coming out with all kinds of bs about how polls aren't scientific so they should be ignored and that the numbers didn't "feel right" and so must wrong and 100 variations all of which were the political equivalent of sticking thier fingers in thier ears and going "lalalalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalala"
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

gaggedLouise

I don't expect it to have much substance, and the after-the-match talk and spin in the media ('real' news media and social media) will probably be more important than the actual debate. But I'll try to catch it, live or afterwards.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Stattick

I plan on watching the debates. I'm interested in politics. I want to see how things come out, who does well and who doesn't. I want to be able to talk about any lies either side says, look at their strategies, and analyze the performances. There's virtually no chance that the debate can change my mind though, and that's not why I'm interested in watching. I suppose that some truly horrific scandal involving President Obama came out, that I might change to vote against him, but it would have to particularly egregious, since I honestly believe that putting the Republicans in charge of the country right now will lead to a second great depression, and likely a build up toward WWIII (that might or might not happen, and if it happens might or might not utilize WMDs).

In all likelihood, the lulz from watching Romney waffling more often than a waffle-house waffle-iron will be more than reward for watching the debates.
O/O   A/A

gaggedLouise

"There are those who are standing up for the people and there's those who have taken up position for the big finance - now can somebody please tell me who is standing on my jacket?"

-Carl Bildt, current secretary of state of Sweden and former PM, as a young student during the 1968 occupation of the student union building at the university of Stockholm. Eventually the prime minister came over to see them, entering with the pick-up line "I heard the revolution has started, guys?"  :D

Serephino

I don't expect Romney to trip over anything, I expect him to run at the mouth, just like always.  He tends to get into long-winded answers and then stops thinking about what's coming out of his mouth so that's where his foot ends up.

Valerian

I hear Romney's been practicing for months for this.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/advisers-say-romney-will-show-empathy-in-debate

Romney’s advisers have a simple strategy: They want their candidate to balance his finely tuned arguments with personal warmth. Since Romney is a reserved man, his advisers acknowledge that it will be difficult for him to endear himself to the country, especially under the hot studio lights. But they consider it critical. “This is really about introducing him to the country,” a Romney adviser says. “It’s the largest audience he has ever had. Everybody’s watching.”

During prep sessions in Vermont this past month, Romney has worked tirelessly on the stylistic aspect of his presentation, and Romney’s advisers predict that the former Massachusetts governor will come across as both presidential and empathetic. Rather than fire off brusque retorts, as he often did during primary debates, Romney will take care “to speak in paragraphs about the economy,” a second aide says.

I must have missed these 'finely-tuned arguments' of which they speak.   ::)  It also seems odd to talk about 'introducing him to the country' at this late stage.  Shouldn't they have done that already?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

He needs to balance his arguments with personal warmth?  He's gonna need help in the 'personal warmth' department.

Now, where's that surplus flame thrower? 

MasterMischief

I can not think of anything that Romney could say that would change my vote.  It is not that I will not vote for him because "I luv teh Obama!", but because Romney flip-flops worse than Kerry.  Even if he said everything I ever wanted to hear from a president, it would all be empty words.  Obama may not have done everything he said he would (largely thanks to a Congress that is pissed we have a black man in the Oval Office), but at least he has tried.

I am terrified of more failed Republican policies finishing off what the Bush years started.

Oniya

My sister dislikes Romney, but really likes Paul Ryan.  I'll be honest, I think it's his eyes, because I can't see anything appealing about Ryan's policies.  I'm trying to point out to her that we vote in the President we want, rather than hoping for the curse of Tecumsah to kick in.  (Not that it's the right year for that either.)

MasterMischief

What did she think of Palin?  If she disliked her with a passion, point out she is voting like all those ignorant guys that just voted for her because they thought she was pretty.  That might bring it home.

Teo Torriatte

I agree. While you need to keep in mind the veep, insofar as they are always "a heartbeat away from the presidency", it's the top of the ticket that really matters.

For instance, the thought of Palin being veep was truly terrifying... McCain is OLD, and there was a slight chance something could happen to him. A .000001% chance of Palin becoming president was enough to doom McCain's candidacy.

Romney is much younger, and although I disagree with everything both him and Ryan spout off about, I wouldn't be so terrified of a possible president Ryan that I would change my vote, were I so inclined.

MM has the right of it, though. Even if Romney tells us what we have been desperately wanting to hear a presidential candidate say, everyone would know that he was just saying it for that reason. He's a modern day Zelig.  :P

(*giggles* ninja'D by MM in bringing up Palin)

MasterMischief

I admit it.  I think Palin is attractive.  Attractive != good leader

Captain Kirk was an outlier!

Oniya

Well, I don't know for certain that she's fixated on Ryan's looks - it's just that it's the only thing I can see about him that's appealing.  It's entirely possible that she's bought into his 'wonderful proposed budget' (despite my best efforts of sending her references to the contrary.)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 03, 2012, 11:07:45 AM
He needs to balance his arguments with personal warmth?  He's gonna need help in the 'personal warmth' department.

Now, where's that surplus flame thrower?
Fire all of your guns, Tecumseh
Explode into space
Like a Jew, nature's child
We were born, born to be wild...

Oops - misheard that song and it might not be what R. wants either...

Oniya

Erm...

That's an interesting mondegreen.

But actually, the bathroom's on the left.

For those who don't know, the curse of Tecumsah - which may or may not have anything to do with the man himself - states that any President elected in a year ending in '0' will die in office, although not necessarily in his first term and not necessarily by foul play.  It 'held true' from Harrison in 1840 through Kennedy in 1960.  Reagan survived both being injured in an assassination attempt and natural disease during his term in office, and GWB was unhurt in a grenade attack in 2005 (in fact, there were no injuries period - the grenade didn't go off.)

Stattick

Quote from: Oniya on October 03, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
Erm...

That's an interesting mondegreen.

But actually, the bathroom's on the left.

For those who don't know, the curse of Tecumsah - which may or may not have anything to do with the man himself - states that any President elected in a year ending in '0' will die in office, although not necessarily in his first term and not necessarily by foul play.  It 'held true' from Harrison in 1840 through Kennedy in 1960.  Reagan survived both being injured in an assassination attempt and natural disease during his term in office, and GWB was unhurt in a grenade attack in 2005 (in fact, there were no injuries period - the grenade didn't go off.)

Maybe the curse only effects the mind? Reagan developed Alzheimer's as president. Bush the Lesser on the other hand had already done significant neural damage to his brain from alcohol and cocaine abuse before he got into office (as evidenced by watching early clips of the man when he was reasonably articulate and a decent speaker as compared to how he spoke while in the White House), so I think that inoculated him from the curse.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

I believe this is the link to watch the debate live on YouTube.

9 PM Eastern Time Zone in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/politics?feature=inp-bp-ype-53
O/O   A/A

OldSchoolGamer

I know criticism of the two-party system is frowned upon in these parts...but intellectual honesty compels me to point out that there are more than two candidates running for POTUS.  Why are we not allowed to hear from the others?