Feature Request: Usertags

Started by Aleph, January 07, 2015, 05:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph

Hi all,

Apologies if I've missed a suggestion thread or going over pre-trodden ground, but I wanted to put a flag up for being able to tag users a la Twitter/Facebook. I don't know what other benefits there might be but the idea came to mind when I (just now) discovered that my lovely cowriters posted an Elliversary thread for me several months ago. Having something like a usertag that ...hmm, I don't know, maybe drops a PM into your Inbox to say you've been mentioned in a post? Maybe it's a bookmarkable thread? (eg http://ell.com/forums/?ping=Aleph and so on)

The Dark Raven

I don't normally weigh in on these things but I'm against adding a tagging system (like social media sites) because this place, according to its own rules and guidelines, is a literary site, not a social media site.

As a writer that found E as a haven to explore, I'd prefer it stayed more a writing site and less peppered with social mess that just turns writing into drama.

Just my two cents.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Verasaille

I agree with Daylilly. I avoid those social media threads except for family. I hate the way they invade everything. It might be a privacy issue for some who do not wish to be tagged.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

jouzinka

Perhaps an option to switch tags on/off?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Verasaille

Does Elliquiy have a Facebook site or connection at all?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Beguile's Mistress

Elysian Radiance

There's also a group on Fetlife for those of us that are into that sort of things as well.

https://fetlife.com/groups/17319
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Verasaille

My only problem with this is the second you post in a Facebook page you are prompted for personal information and a link to your personal page. Which not all people are comfortable doing. It also seems to be something I would imagine to be counter productive to the anonymity of this site.

Elysian Radiance

I think the OP is talking about being able to notify a user when someone has used their name in a thread so that they can follow it, similar to Facebook, Twitter, and DeviantArt (who has a tagging system now too). He wasn't suggesting to be able to tag people here on E with their Facebook profile.

However, to touch on your concern, I am part of a FB group for the Wyrmrest Accord server on World of Warcraft. There are tons of people on there that don't want their real life mixed with their WoW persona, so they chose to make a separate Facebook profile for that. I've done this before and just used my main in Chrome and my alt in Firefox so I didn't have to log in and out all the time.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Verasaille

Dont we already have that though? Like if you get a PM it goes to the email and lets you know someone has sent it to you. And if you click show new replies to your posts you see all the ones that have posted in any thread you are in. Do we need more than that?

Blythe

Quote from: Verasaille on January 07, 2015, 06:30:07 PM
Dont we already have that though? Like if you get a PM it goes to the email and lets you know someone has sent it to you. And if you click show new replies to your posts you see all the ones that have posted in any thread you are in. Do we need more than that?

E-mail notifications don't work if one is simply mentioned in a thread. Notifications are for threads a member already knows about and subscribes to or notifying them a PM arrived. In short, e-mail notifications wouldn't work for what Aleph is asking. It's very easy to never be aware someone has made for you a birthday or elliversary thread, unfortunately.

Could potentially be a useful function in the Birthdays and Anniversaries board, though, if possible. That's the sort of thread that members like to surprise other members with.

jouzinka

One way or another, the best course would probably be to add it to the Feature Request Thread for the new CMS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=128093.0 and see where it takes you, Aleph.

Verasaille

I see, but really if someone mentions someone in a thread to be kind or to praise them or whatever, shouldn't that person at least PM the one getting the attention? Otherwise I can see it becoming an embarrassment if you are trying to plan something secret or some other reason you DON'T want them to see it?

jouzinka

I see it as a user request, Verasaille. One of probably hundreds in that thread. I don't feel the question here is whether it is or isn't useful, if it should or shouldn't be allowed or if it is or isn't popular; everyone can make a suggestion (it would actually be very useful if everyone did share their thoughts on how to improve the site). It's an idea to add to an early stage of development where it's necessary to think big or far-fetched. I am sure that if it gets decided to be implemented there will be extensive brainstorming as to how to make the feature useful, but unobtrusive. Just like on Facebook when you write someone's name you can and can not tag them.

Verasaille

It's fine, jouzinka, I think I was playing devil's advocate. I see good and bad things about the idea. But as long as it is voluntary I suppose it would not matter.

Anyway just my opinion. Not something I worry about.