[SR3] Cream of the Crop

Started by Hunter, September 10, 2010, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Scenario
You're good, in fact, you're one of the best.  Either you've worked your way up or you've fallen in with the right crowd.  In either event, you've caught the attention of some power players and now's your chance to move up to the big leagues.  Whether your new in town and looking to score or someone who's always been here, you know that you get only one chance to become more than average.\

And when your chance comes, what do you do?

I'm looking for four to six runners who want to break out into the big leagues.  The chance to make serious nuyen and the equally big reputation that goes with it.  This isn't your normal shadowrun, it's time to play with the big boys.   ;D

Background
Cincinnati, UCAS
Hometown Megacorporation

Character Creation

Note: All web material aside from above requires approval before use.  Any questions, please feel free to ask.   :-)

KaraKres

How hardcore would you be on the rules?

i.e. how would you handle a combat scene? 

My initial thought was to play a smoking-hot (is there anyother kind?) amerindian who is a Face-type character or perhaps a Former Company Woman (to use a 1st ed archetype).

Let me know.

KK

Hunter

Quote from: KaraKres on September 11, 2010, 07:07:29 PM
How hardcore would you be on the rules?

i.e. how would you handle a combat scene? 

It'll be by the rules, not freeform.

Also, I've got a text based character sheet available.

avorae

OOh I so want to play as a adept of Asian orgin. More thahn likely I will be either a human or an Elf (Leaning toward human though)
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Hunter

Sure.  Still plenty of room.   ;D

avorae

Hey I have a question. I have never used the Bio Index before so how do you determine it's starting rating?

CirclMastr

Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

ReijiTabibito

Mmm...so, we've got to build a character using the Priority System again?  Should be interesting, given that I've gone through a spree of building characters with the 4th Ed system.

Hunter

Quote from: avorae on September 12, 2010, 08:52:36 PM
Hey I have a question. I have never used the Bio Index before so how do you determine it's starting rating?

Bio Index measures the amount of Bioware that the character has.  If no Bioware then Bio Index is zero.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 12, 2010, 09:11:10 PM
Mmm...so, we've got to build a character using the Priority System again?  Should be interesting, given that I've gone through a spree of building characters with the 4th Ed system.

No, you can still use the Point Build System if you like.  Hmmm...didn't notice that it didn't have it on there.  I'll upload a new one.

avorae

Quote from: Hunter on September 12, 2010, 09:49:00 PM
Bio Index measures the amount of Bioware that the character has.  If no Bioware then Bio Index is zero.

Does it affect Essence they same way that Cyberware does?

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Hunter on September 12, 2010, 09:49:00 PM
No, you can still use the Point Build System if you like.  Hmmm...didn't notice that it didn't have it on there.  I'll upload a new one.

Mkay.  This...is in the Companion, right?  I'm just trying to figure out how much BP Attributes and Actives and certain things cost...

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 13, 2010, 01:08:30 AM
Mkay.  This...is in the Companion, right?  I'm just trying to figure out how much BP Attributes and Actives and certain things cost...

Just like it says in the Companion.

ReijiTabibito

*finds it a bit ironic that, when he does the math, using the Priority system is actually a cheaper way of getting what he wants than the Point Build system*

Okay, just checking...

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 13, 2010, 09:56:17 AM
*finds it a bit ironic that, when he does the math, using the Priority system is actually a cheaper way of getting what he wants than the Point Build system*

Okay, just checking...

That's usually the case with magically actives.   Any erotic content, I'm going to leave between players.   :-)

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Hunter on September 13, 2010, 10:02:47 AM
That's usually the case with magically actives.

???  I never said I was going to play an Awakened character.  How'd you figure that out?

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 13, 2010, 10:04:56 AM
???  I never said I was going to play an Awakened character.  How'd you figure that out?

Because that's the only case I've ever found (that I can remember) when crunching the numbers that's cheaper to use priority.

ReijiTabibito

Funky the monkey...ah, well.  No problems in figuring that out, anyways.

Also, I had a random question.  Of the gear sort of variety.  I found a well-known (on the forums, at least) website run by a guy named Raygun, who uses a popular firearms building program to make current firearms in the SR system.  Would it be alright if I used some weapons off this site?

To evaluate for yourself, go here:

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/

Now, unfortunately, the actual website itself disappeared sometime in the past couple of years, but...

The Internet Archive, aka The Wayback Machine, has the whole website on file.

Go here:  http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Plug the link for Raygun's website into it, and click the last update (should be April 27, 2007), then you can evaluate whether or not these would be acceptable.

Hunter

Yes, I remember Raygun's website.  And I'd have to consider what weapons you'd be looking at (you might wanna check the ones available under the Hometown Megacorp first).

ReijiTabibito

I'll do that (check out the Megacorp weapons), in the meantime.  ^_^

As for the weapons that I would be considering, examine you the following, organized by category as on Raygun's website:

Handguns
Fabrique Nationale High Power
S&W Performance Center Model 627
S&W Model 29/629
SIG-Sauer Full Size 

Submachine Guns
H&K MP5 (and its Navy counterpart, the MP5N)
H&K UMP

And that's it.

EDIT: Also note, according to a place on the website (I believe the Rules section), he built these with the exchange rate of money being 1 nuyen = 1 UCAS dollar.

EDIT 2: Something else I noted, going over the creation guidelines.  There's no additional Knowledge Skill Points handed out at creation, it just being the regular (Intelligence*5) points.  Granted, we've got an additional 4 points of attributes at a given level, so in probability a character would get at least 5 extra Knowledge Skill Points, but it's just a little weird.

After all, the creation guidelines set out that a character gets:
+4 Attribute Points for a given Priority over the normal
+10 Active Skill Points for a given Priority
Awakened Characters (Full or Aspect Mages) get +10 Spell Points
And a good boost in Resources for a given Priority, ranging anywhere from twice as much (at Priority A) to 7.5 times as much (at Priority D - 20k to 150k)

Not saying this needs to be changed (people will be capable of kicking all sorts of ganger, KE, and corporate ass as it is), but just an observation.

EDIT 3:

I was going over the spell lists, and I was wondering if, for the Elemental Manipulations, we could specify a given element for a certain manipulation, if it's not listed in the book.

I only ask because the statistics for Acid Stream, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Laser (as well as their area-effect counterparts, Toxic Wave, Flamethrower, Ball Lightning, and Nova) are all exactly the same, save for a specified elemental effect.  And yet, somehow, despite covering acid, fire, lightning, and light, there are no elemental manipulations for, y'know, earth, or water, or ice?  Particularly the last two.

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 13, 2010, 10:45:47 AM
I was going over the spell lists, and I was wondering if, for the Elemental Manipulations, we could specify a given element for a certain manipulation, if it's not listed in the book.

I only ask because the statistics for Acid Stream, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Laser (as well as their area-effect counterparts, Toxic Wave, Flamethrower, Ball Lightning, and Nova) are all exactly the same, save for a specified elemental effect.  And yet, somehow, despite covering acid, fire, lightning, and light, there are no elemental manipulations for, y'know, earth, or water, or ice?  Particularly the last two.

Sure.  Feel free.

ReijiTabibito

Yes!  Awesome!  *pumps fist*

BTW, any word on the Knowledge Skill Point thing?  Or are we just going to go with standard amount (Intelligence*5)?

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 14, 2010, 06:09:47 PM
Yes!  Awesome!  *pumps fist*

BTW, any word on the Knowledge Skill Point thing?  Or are we just going to go with standard amount (Intelligence*5)?

Standard, yes.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Very well. 

*makes notes*

Hunter, I don't mean to be pushy or pry, but have you taken a look over at Raygun's website, at the guns I supplied to you upon your request for specification?  At this point, I have almost everything except Gear and Resources in place in my head, and so I need to know about those to proceed in that area...

*checks notes*

In that vein, I had a look over the website for Griffin, and the firearms that are on there are impressive, and certainly among contenders to buy, but until I know more about Raygun's designs, I am not going to make any commitments in that direction.

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 14, 2010, 06:23:42 PM
Hunter, I don't mean to be pushy or pry, but have you taken a look over at Raygun's website, at the guns I supplied to you upon your request for specification?  At this point, I have almost everything except Gear and Resources in place in my head, and so I need to know about those to proceed in that area...

*checks notes*

In that vein, I had a look over the website for Griffin, and the firearms that are on there are impressive, and certainly among contenders to buy, but until I know more about Raygun's designs, I am not going to make any commitments in that direction.

No, I haven't checked yet.  Honestly, don't count on it as I'm rarely giving when it comes to Raygun's designs.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Hunter on September 14, 2010, 06:30:27 PM
No, I haven't checked yet.  Honestly, don't count on it as I'm rarely giving when it comes to Raygun's designs.

So noted.  I would still like to know, though.  Mainly because the guns in the corebook and in the Cannon Companion are incredibly heavy (6 pounds for a handgun?  Sister, please!), whereas Raygun's designs are about spot on in terms of weight (his MP5 weighs a little over 2 kg, which the actual one does as well).