News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Wheel of Time

Started by Mossberg, January 18, 2014, 10:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg

I'm looking to start an rp based on the Wheel of Time series. Before I get started making informational threads and whatnot, I figured maybe I should see if anyone will even be willing to play it. I plan on it being freeform, though there will be minor stat involvement, mostly for determining what weaves Channelers will be able to use. Meaning the five powers will have a grading system (most likely a 1-10 range for each one). And the way that I plan on setting it up will hopefully be spoiler free for those that haven't read the whole series. There will be no canon characters, or at least not available to players. I'm also hoping to be able to compile an extensive listing that will explain the setting, One Power, Old Tongue and Shadowspawn among other things so that inexperienced players may join as well. If anyone is interested or has questions feel free to comment here or send me a pm.

Oh, on a side note, I have never ran a game before so any help in that department would be appreciated.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Muse

*smiles*  And I was hoping you were gonig to use the system. :)

I ADORE the wheel of time, but I'm not sure I can handle another freeform right now.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and cheering for you. :) Intrested to see how you do it.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

IStateYourName

I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Mossberg

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2014, 04:40:57 AM
*smiles*  And I was hoping you were gonig to use the system. :)

I ADORE the wheel of time, but I'm not sure I can handle another freeform right now.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and cheering for you. :) Intrested to see how you do it.  :)

Well there are a couple reasons for the freeform. I like being able to let people have less restrictions and such, and plus, I have no idea on how to use the dice on here lol.

Quote from: IStateYourName on January 19, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Okay. Right now it's just an idea. If I can get enough people interested (like five or so, I don't want it to be too big for my first one) I'll start posting stuff, like weaves, cities and all that stuff.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

I'm tentatively interested. It depends on what we would be doing and playing, really.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Mossberg

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 19, 2014, 08:44:33 PM
I'm tentatively interested. It depends on what we would be doing and playing, really.

There is no plot set up yet really. I was making sure that people would actually want to play before doing all the work. For that matter, if anyone does have plot ideas and stuff they are more than welcome to suggest them.

So far what I'm thinking is that it can be in a Portal Stone World (PSW) so there will be no canons for people to try claiming. Most if not all of the main locations (Nations, capitols, Black Tower and all that) will be there, but with the PSW we will be able to add original locations and stuff. There will be Asha'man, Aes Sedai, Wolfkin and Aiel for people to choose from as well as others if they so desire. Of course some things, like balefire and compulsion will not be allowed. Though if two players agree on a scenario where compulsion could work and the character is able to know it, then in that case it may be allowed. I hope this is making sense.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Muse

*Smiles* 

This does just keep getting more tempting. 

I'm curious how you mean for there to be a black tower if there's no Rand. 

Do you intend to retell the lat battle your own way?  With our players forming the central characters?  ;)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mossberg

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2014, 11:23:41 PM
*Smiles* 

This does just keep getting more tempting. 

I'm curious how you mean for there to be a black tower if there's no Rand. 

Do you intend to retell the lat battle your own way?  With our players forming the central characters?  ;)

Well, at Dragonmount.com, which is where I got the idea from the roleplays I was in there, they had made up characters doing all the canon stuff, though not exactly like it was in the books. If I remember correctly, there was a group of channeling men that got together and decided to build a community. Eventually it turned into The Farm and when that version of the Dragon Reborn went to Tear he found that Aiel and Asha'man were already there waiting to help him breach the Heart of the Stone. So basically everything that did happen can happen. There will just be different characters and perhaps different motivations. As far as characters taking on the central roles.. That might be a bit much. I mean think of the differences in power levels and all that. Does anybody really want there to be one character with the most power, skill and a ta'veren to boot? Though, with the exception of Rand, I might be amenable to characters taking on some big roles. Amyrlin, M'Hael and maybe even kings/queens might be able to be used. Just remember though, those kinds of characters likely wouldn't be going on adventures or anything of the sort.

One idea I was bouncing around in my head was maybe some Asha'man and their bonded Aes Sedai (or vice versa) could join up with some Wolfkin and Aiel, depending on what people want to play as, and go on a little adventure. Maybe something like Dumai's Wells. And that could just be the start of it. I don't have any set goal in mind, so the rp could theoretically go on forever.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Mossberg on January 19, 2014, 11:35:45 PM
One idea I was bouncing around in my head was maybe some Asha'man and their bonded Aes Sedai (or vice versa) could join up with some Wolfkin and Aiel, depending on what people want to play as, and go on a little adventure. Maybe something like Dumai's Wells. And that could just be the start of it. I don't have any set goal in mind, so the rp could theoretically go on forever.

I'd enjoy something like this tremendously.

I also enjoy the idea of a Pattern Stone World. It seems like the best way to keep canon stuff and allow original material.

Would the male half of the Power still be tainted? I'm not really sure if I want to play a male channeler - I'd probably rather play a warder if someone else was interested and amenable to their character being bonded to mine.

Mossberg

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 20, 2014, 12:01:49 AM
I'd enjoy something like this tremendously.

I also enjoy the idea of a Pattern Stone World. It seems like the best way to keep canon stuff and allow original material.

Would the male half of the Power still be tainted? I'm not really sure if I want to play a male channeler - I'd probably rather play a warder if someone else was interested and amenable to their character being bonded to mine.

I'm not sure yet about the Taint. It will definitely have happened, otherwise we might as well make a whole original world as there would have been no Breaking or anything that was a result of that. I'm not too sure if I'll have it be cleansed or not yet. Depends on what period of the timeline people would want to be at. You people can make suggestions as well, don't forget that.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

It's been a long time since I cracked one of the books, and to be honest I never got around to finishing them all, but it's stuck with me that the Wheel keeps on spinning and weaving. Maybe the Power being tainted and cleansed is a cyclical thing, and sometimes it's the male half, as the books depict, and others it's the female, or maybe in others both or none?

I'm not really set on it one way or another. There's neat stuff that could come of it and the attendant baggage that built up in the world from it, but it's equally interesting to me if the PSW we play in has a cleansed Power and the White and Black Towers with their respective channelers are allied faction with goals in common and goals distinct from each other, and when you throw together an Asha'man and Aes Sedai we get the heady mix of us all needing to keep each other alive on the adventure but also knowing in the backs of our minds that we don't all serve the same master. And if we get Aiel or Wolfkin in the mix then there's the potential to get people from the outside who can challenge the assumptions of the representatives of the Towers.

I think as a basic framework, if nothing else, the basis could be that there's been Trolloc sightings, you know, over there, and the White Tower's sent someone to check it out. Along the way the characters live, love, learn, and fight, no matter who they are and where they're from. Along the way maybe they run into Weird Stuff (y'know, like the ones that Mat got his spear from), find some angreals (whether they be angreals, sa'angreals, or ter'angreals) to make things interesting, and cross people who are bad news.

Mossberg

As far as the Taint thing, I would rather keep it as it was in the books. With it being the male half I mean. We could set it after the Last Battle and that could leave room for the Towers to be united and then people would be able to have male channelers free of the taint as well. Maybe a plot idea could be that with the Dark One sealed away once more, channelers and such are going through all the lands and the Blight to clear out all the shadowspawn and darkfriends.

See, I'm not too keen on including Aiel and to a lesser degree the Wolfkin. While they do provide great roleplaying opportunities, I'm worried that some may not be able to handle it. You know, that famous Aiel humor or being able to "think" in images when communicating with wolves among other things. This could easily be just a channeler thing with the inclusion of warders or other "plain" characters.

And yes, there will be angreal lol. Of all three varieties. And power-wrought weapons are going to be allowable too.

I'm not sure how much I can say or not without spoiling things for people. Sometimes I hate that I finished the series lol.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Zaer Darkwail

I have not finished the series but read most books. Anyways I voice interest to join in with my char, who is going to be a male channeler but not a asha'man.

Mossberg

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 20, 2014, 01:11:06 AM
I have not finished the series but read most books. Anyways I voice interest to join in with my char, who is going to be a male channeler but not a asha'man.

Well, if we are going to be placing this after Tarmon Gai'don some of the cultures may change their view on male channelers and not send them off to their death anymore (i.e. Aiel, Sea Folk.). The only other route that I can see would be Dreadlord or wilder.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Tamhansen

But placing it after tarmon Gai'don would be a huge challenge. Most of the enemies will be either gone or severely weakened, the political landscape is completely changed.

I'd love to see an rpg like this come off the ground. If possible I'd love to play a warden. Maybe developing a weak hold on Saidin later on, but not likely. Mainly a supporting character
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Mossberg

It could be a challenge, but at first at least, there wouldn't be too much focus on the world as a whole. These are all just possible ideas though. Nothing is set in stone.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Mossberg

Okay, so here is the "official" timeline for the series, with minor edits. Here is my source. I figured this may be of use when we try to figure out where we want it to be, as well as anything that may need to be changed.

WoT Timeline
Second Age

Age of Legends
War of the Shadow
The Strike at Shayol Ghul
Breaking of the World

Third Age

After the Breaking   
98 AB Construction of the White Tower and Tar Valon begins
200 AB Compact of the Ten Nations forms
202 AB The White Tower and Tar Valon are completed
212 AB Caraighan Maconar born
335 AB Raolin Darksbane declares himself the Dragon Reborn
336 AB Raolin Darksbane dead/gentled
373 AB Caraighan Maconar dies
1000 AB Trolloc Wars begin
1150 AB Rashima Kerenmosa is born
1251 AB Rashima Kerenmosa is raised to the Amyrlin Seat
1300 AB Yurian Stonebow declares himself the Dragon Reborn
1301 AB Rashima Kerenmosa dies
1308 AB Yurian Stonebow dead/gentled

The Free Years
13?? AB / FY 1   Trolloc Wars end
FY 351 Davian declares himself the Dragon Reborn
FY 920 Deane Aryman born
FY 939 Guaire Amalasan declares himself the Dragon Reborn
FY 939 to FY 943 War of the Second Dragon
FY 943 Guaire Amalasan dead/gentled, Artur Hawkwing begins reign
FY 992 Artur Hawkwing sends armies across the Aryth Ocean, Deane Aryman raised to Amyrlin Seat
FY 994 Artur Hawkwing dies, War of the Hundred Years begins
FY 1084 Deane Aryman dies

New Era
FY 1117 / 1 NE   War of the Hundred Years ends
306 NE Whitecloaks hang the body of Serenia Latar
526 NE Corianin Nedeal dies
566 NE Aiel present Avendoraldera sapling to Cairhien
705 NE Cadsuane Melaidhrin born
859 NE Last stilling performed (for a while)
930 NE Novice Zarya Alkaese runs away from the White Tower, Verin Mathwin begins her project
953 NE Lan Mandragoran born
956 NE Moiraine Damodred born
957 NE The Whitecloak War
961 NE Merana Ambrey negotiates Fifth Treaty of Falme
968 NE The Travels of Jain Farstrider is published
971 NE Luc Mantear rides north to the Blight
972 NE Tigraine vanishes, Moiraine becomes a novice, Logain Ablar born
973 NE Tamra Ospenya succeeds Noane Masadim as Amyrlin Seat
975 NE Moiraine and Siuan raised to Accepted
976 NE Beginning of the Aiel War
978 NE to 979 NE New Spring: The Novel
978 NE King Laman killed/End of the Aiel War, Rand al'Thor, Mat Cauthon and Perrin Aybara born, Moiraine and Siuan raised to the shawl
979 NE Sierin Vayu succeeds Tamra Ospenya as Amyrlin Seat
979 NE Moiraine bonds Lan as her Warder
981 NE Egwene al'Vere born, Jain Farstrider disappears
984 NE Marith Jaen succeeds Sierin Vayu as Amyrlin Seat
988 NE Siuan Sanche succeeds Marith Jaen as Amyrlin Seat
991 NE Ravens spy on Emond's Field
997 NE Logain declares himself the Dragon Reborn
Late Spring to Mid Summer 998 NE The Eye of the World
Mid Summer to Late Fall 998 NE The Great Hunt
Winter to Late Spring 999 NE The Dragon Reborn
Late Spring to Mid Summer 999 NE The Shadow Rising
Late Summer to Early Fall 999 NE The Fires of Heaven
Early Fall 999 NE to Winter 1000 NE Lord of Chaos
Mid Winter 1000 NE A Crown of Swords
Late Winter 1000 NE The Path of Daggers
Late Winter 1000 NE Winter's Heart
Late Winter to Early Spring 1000 NE Crossroads of Twilight
Spring 1000 NE Knife of Dreams
Late Spring to Early Summer 1000 NE The Gathering Storm
Late Spring to Early Summer 1000 NE Towers of Midnight
Early Summer - ? 1000 NE A Memory of Light
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

I would be interested in this game.

How do you feel about Gleemen, thief takers, sniffers, or a combination of the last two?

Mossberg

That could probably work. It would most likely depend on the setting we do, but I personally have no objections at this time.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

Right on, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future developments. I haven't read all the way through the series, but I've been familiar with the universe for many years and have participated in more than one WoT play-by-post.

Good luck in organizing this, friend.

Mossberg

Thanks, I'm going to need it I think lol.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cynadea

I'd probably end up playing a green, a brown or a yellow, they have been my top three Ajahs in like, forever. The only thing is that Jordan's writing  started killing me at book 7 where I started to say "loose ends, man. Need to tie them up a bit or the story starts looking a little sloppy..." so I didn't read much further. I'm currently reading (more like listening to an audio book) the series again, we'll see how it goes this time around...

I'll keep an eye on this. Let me know if I can help.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

Tamhansen

Quote from: Aysande on January 23, 2014, 06:11:41 AM
The only thing is that Jordan's writing  started killing me at book 7 where I started to say "loose ends, man. Need to tie them up a bit or the story starts looking a little sloppy..." so I didn't read much further. I'm currently reading (more like listening to an audio book) the series again, we'll see how it goes this time around...

Books six seven and eight do tend to sprawl a bit, After writing book five he started working on the premise that it would be ten or more books. Nine wraps up most of the lines, but not all.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Mossberg

Everything gets wrapped up pretty well by the end I'd say. Just got to stick in there. My worst part was all the Perrin scenes that just seemed to drag on forever. When I go for a reread I'll usually end up skipping most of those parts.
-Lews Therin Telamon

AribethAmkiir

I've only read up to Winter's Heart, but I believe I may be interested in this.

Mossberg

When I do post the information and such for this, I'll be trying to keep it spoiler free as possible, while still providing information for those that need it.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Maybe we could set the game at 998 NE, when Eye of the World stuff starts to take place? It's a pretty good jumping on point, since a lot of us haven't finished everything and anyone who's interested but hasn't read the books only really needs to read up on the concepts rather than pick up all of the different plots and events that've transpired. That would preclude the existence of the Asha'man, at least as they are in the books, but it otherwise leaves us with carte blanche to play in the world without worrying about what plot events to alter or discard as well as allowing for a spoiler free presentation.

Mossberg

I was actually thinking of something like that. Though we should probably make it to where there is some sort of thing for Asha'man for those that want to play them. I know that's the character that I want. Maybe have one of the previous False Dragons cleanse Saidin, so that madness is no longer an issue and male channelers can start being accepted by some, though not most, of "Randland?"
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

That seems like something too important to invest in a False Dragon to me. Maybe a False Dragon gathered several male channelers to his cause and founded a Black Tower, creating the Asha'man, and male channelers are started to be accepted by some because now that they're a faction in their own right they can't be antagonized as they were in the past? The madness that comes with channeling the male half of the One Power could still be present, but it could be handwaved away in the case of player characters because in their individual cases it takes longer to become complete and utterly debilitating.

Mossberg

While I agree, we have to think of the "real" consequences. A false dragon building an army of channelers? The White Tower would immediately send Gaidin and Sisters to do what they do. Nations would refuse to work with them for fear of losing the White Tower's support, which may end up turning those that do ally with them and those that don't against each other, creating a continent wide war.

Maybe we can alter it to where the taint doesn't necessarily drive them insane, it just gives them access to their past lives in the form of the voices and such. Lews Therin and the Companions could have just had it all hit them at once, and the pure shock of it drove them insane and caused the Breaking. So people fear the potential for madness, but not the channelers themselves.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

That direction makes the practice of universally gentling male channelers as a matter of course unnecessary and casts the White Tower in fairly negative light, doesn't it? And if male channelers are having access to their pasts lives it seems like they gain an advantage in recalling science, technology, weaves, and knowledge otherwise lost with the end of the previous age.

Mossberg

Yeah, I didn't think of that. But that is what the voices are in the book basically. We never learned if Rand was the only one that had it, or if others had it as well. He knew weaves and all sorts of stuff that he would otherwise have no possible way of knowing. Though that could be a result of him being Ta'veren.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Yeah, it's hard to tell either way. But it seems like if it was a thing that happened to all male channelers it would probably not lend itself to the outcome we want.

To go back to the proposal of a False Dragon founding a Black Tower, perhaps it might be explained thusly: it's a recent development; the current Amyrlin Seat is either a Dark Friend or compromised by one, which stymies any unified response; the White Tower cannot engage in an outright assault on the Black Tower because the Asha'man can kill with Power and the Aes Sedai can't; while other nations do not engage in direct support of the Black Tower, they do not engage in active opposition of it for fear of being destroyed.

Mossberg

Well, my main character, an Asha'man, is able to hear a voice. While I haven't had him learn any unusual weaves or anything, the voice itself isn't really insane, just power hungry and violent.

And that could very likely work.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Zaer Darkwail

I could say that Asha'man are very recent and very secret development. Example White Tower did not know nothing about big organization which was founded by escaped novices example, so a 'Black Tower' could exist but in strict secrecy. Then they have gained support by blackmailing mostly along with providing a 'alternative' to White Tower Aes Sedais (which most do not trust ironically speaking). Also it's not out of question some Asha'man are actually influential nobles and so provide support/backing by through wealth of their inheritance and noble house wealth. If someone asks why they invest lots money to single farm they can say they just build 'big farm' and Asha'man in there act like farmers while secretly practice One Power for militant and disciplined purpose (having perhaps bigger goals to carve place in world which shuns their kind and want change it and some may even study how cleanse saidin).

Also it's true that Aes Sedai cannot kill with One Power, even while against a male channeler so long male channeler is not dark friend or servant of shadow. They at most block access to their power and let wardens subdue them and then drag to White Tower. But when there is overwhelming number of male channelers; the things tip heavily to their favor in direct conflict.

Mossberg

So that people know, I will start posting information about the series in the World Building board. I will try to keep it as spoiler free as possible, while also helping to explain it to people that don't know the series well enough, but still want to play. I am going to attempt to make a large database of almost anything that may be needed. Anyone that has suggestions, comments or anything else is welcome to comment here or PM me.

Once the thread is started I will be posting a link in the first post on here.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cynadea

You could also use the wiki. It's a pretty good way to keep things organized. I can give a hand there if you are not familiar with it.

By the way, Aes Sedai CAN kill with the OP, they just have to put themselves in a position where their life is in danger. So if a male channeler threatens her life with the OP, she can return in kind. I've played Aes Sedai for like 6 years. I know the ways around the vows well enough.

I like the idea of a secret Black Tower, just like the Kin has managed to kept their identity secret.

Mossberg

I wouldn't have any idea how to use the wiki.

They can also send their Warder if they have one.

Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

I'd mostly forgotten about what a sham the vows were when I posted that.

The political ramifications of exposing how toothless their vow not to use the one power as a weapon is to the rest of the Westlands is probably still sufficient deterrent from having the Aes Sedai deploy at the head of an army.

IStateYourName

I'd like a group of adventurers that aren't big-time canon characters and aren't the focal point or world-changing events.  At least at first.

To me, one of the big appeals of WoT is the characters began as common peasants.  We got to see them work their way up.

Mossberg

That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. A couple of NPC's (or people playing extra characters) may be needed, but I was hoping the players could make up a core group that is going around kicking ass or whatever we decide to do.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Zaer Darkwail

Ah yeah, if Aes Sedai, warden or other Aes Sedai life is in danger, then they can use OP to nuke stuff. So if male channeler only binds (like with air weave) Aes Sedai and drags her along, she cannot use OP to harm him (expect return in kind doing binding on him as well). Wardens of course object but Red Ajah (most famed for chasing male channelers and darkfriends) do not have wardens to protect them.

Siereis

I would be interested in getting in on this.  I read up to about book 6 a few years back so I am familiar enough with the setting...which I loved.  More than likely I'd look to be playing an Aes Sedai, though I haven't yet thought on what color she'd be...perhaps even red if I am able to work her into a plot with male channelers.

And while you are all still trying to figure out how to allow male channelers into the plot, why just go without the black tower idea?  If we are going on some sort of adventure there doesn't need to be a black tower..does there?  All the males that are looking to be spellcasters in this RP could have learned their power in secret.  Just my 2 cents.

Now onto other questions I had:

1.  I think I read earlier that this would be a sandbox style RP.  Is that still true?  Roughly how much of a directed and dictated plot do you intend to do?
2.  Enemies - namely how are we looking to RP them?  While most of the fun in Wheel of Time comes from character interactions, it wouldn't be a fantasy RP without some Half Men or Dark Friends to explode with fire or decapitate with steel.
3.  Can you elaborate at all on the dice rolls that you spoke about during the initial post of this thread?

Mossberg

1. I guess this is a sandbox rp. Not too sure on the terms, but if someone wants to go off and do their own thing they can pretty much. And the plot is part of what we are still figuring out. I mostly put this thread up to do an interest check and let everyone come up with ideas while I am still building the world.

2. I hadn't really given it much thought yet, but if need be then I can play them, though people that feel they can handle it may be able to play some as well.

3. There will be no dice preferably. I may involve them for a minor moment while generating people's OP scores, but they aren't being used for combat or anything as this is going to be freeform.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Siereis on January 26, 2014, 10:21:17 AM
And while you are all still trying to figure out how to allow male channelers into the plot, why just go without the black tower idea?  If we are going on some sort of adventure there doesn't need to be a black tower..does there?  All the males that are looking to be spellcasters in this RP could have learned their power in secret.  Just my 2 cents.

I think Mossberg wants his character to be an Asha'man, so that was why I was talking about it.

Vill

All Asha'man start out as simply being male channelers. You could work the plot to slowly progress towards establishing a Black Tower: there isn't an exact time table on male's going mad, so it's pretty safe to assume that a lot of the Asha'men were leading normal lives, despite the ability to connect to the one power.

Mossberg

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 26, 2014, 02:19:36 PM
I think Mossberg wants his character to be an Asha'man, so that was why I was talking about it.

Not necessarily an Asha'man, just a male channeler.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 23, 2014, 06:34:51 PM
To go back to the proposal of a False Dragon founding a Black Tower, perhaps it might be explained thusly: it's a recent development; the current Amyrlin Seat is either a Dark Friend or compromised by one, which stymies any unified response; the White Tower cannot engage in an outright assault on the Black Tower because the Asha'man can kill with Power and the Aes Sedai can't; while other nations do not engage in direct support of the Black Tower, they do not engage in active opposition of it for fear of being destroyed.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 23, 2014, 06:03:00 PM
That seems like something too important to invest in a False Dragon to me. Maybe a False Dragon gathered several male channelers to his cause and founded a Black Tower, creating the Asha'man, and male channelers are started to be accepted by some because now that they're a faction in their own right they can't be antagonized as they were in the past? The madness that comes with channeling the male half of the One Power could still be present, but it could be handwaved away in the case of player characters because in their individual cases it takes longer to become complete and utterly debilitating.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 24, 2014, 12:16:12 AM
I could say that Asha'man are very recent and very secret development. Example White Tower did not know nothing about big organization which was founded by escaped novices example, so a 'Black Tower' could exist but in strict secrecy. Then they have gained support by blackmailing mostly along with providing a 'alternative' to White Tower Aes Sedais (which most do not trust ironically speaking). Also it's not out of question some Asha'man are actually influential nobles and so provide support/backing by through wealth of their inheritance and noble house wealth. If someone asks why they invest lots money to single farm they can say they just build 'big farm' and Asha'man in there act like farmers while secretly practice One Power for militant and disciplined purpose (having perhaps bigger goals to carve place in world which shuns their kind and want change it and some may even study how cleanse saidin).

Quote from: Vill on January 26, 2014, 02:27:27 PM
All Asha'man start out as simply being male channelers. You could work the plot to slowly progress towards establishing a Black Tower: there isn't an exact time table on male's going mad, so it's pretty safe to assume that a lot of the Asha'men were leading normal lives, despite the ability to connect to the one power.

Okay, so from all this I'm thinking that there is a False Dragon that is beginning to gather men that can channel, promising safety in numbers as well as a place to actually learn to wield Saidin. It is relatively new, so there are a dozen, maybe two, male channelers or so. Some characters could be working on making their way there, while others can choose their own goals. As far as their relationship with the White Tower, there isn't one yet. The WT is beginning to hear small rumors maybe and could have sent a couple sisters to investigate whether or not the rumors have any truth behind them. We will need to decide on a location for them to set up shop. I'm kind of thinking the Caralain Grass. No part of an actual nation and it seems pretty isolated.

Anything I'm missing?
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

That option makes sense and allows for players to start with characters that are not yet main focal points for world events. If I were to play a gleeman, I can imagine he might be motivated to seek out such a rumored gathering: what weaver of legends doesn't want to witness something like this unfolding first hand? Reciting epics is one thing, chronicling them is another.

Although, I'm not dead set on this idea for my own character. Just saying it seems like a good starting point for a plot's forward momentum. It could end up being the waypoint that separate pods of characters are all traveling towards for various reasons. Whether or not their paths cross prematurely would be up to you, GM.

IStateYourName

As for my character, I'm picturing playing a sell-sword, probably female, who takes on a job that's a lot more than she bargained for.  Something she would have steered clear of had she known the Shadow and its agents had a hand in it.  She's no coward, but she also (sensibly) seeks to avoid any supernatural entanglements. 

Strengths: She's reasonably attractive, good with a sword, great with a bow, having grown up in the country and brought down many a meal for her family.  She's pretty sharp, and curious.
Weaknesses: She's a little too curious for her own good, sometimes failing to look before she leaps.  She's got a mouth and a temper. 

She is neither "good" nor "evil," having learned the virtue of minding her own business and looking out for #1, but tempering this with desiring not to gratuitously make enemies either ("don't start none, won't be any"). 

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Mossberg on January 27, 2014, 04:28:18 PM
   Okay, so from all this I'm thinking that there is a False Dragon that is beginning to gather men that can channel, promising safety in numbers as well as a place to actually learn to wield Saidin. It is relatively new, so there are a dozen, maybe two, male channelers or so. Some characters could be working on making their way there, while others can choose their own goals. As far as their relationship with the White Tower, there isn't one yet. The WT is beginning to hear small rumors maybe and could have sent a couple sisters to investigate whether or not the rumors have any truth behind them. We will need to decide on a location for them to set up shop. I'm kind of thinking the Caralain Grass. No part of an actual nation and it seems pretty isolated.

Anything I'm missing?

I think that addresses all of the main points that need to be addressed, and am amenable to this idea.

On the character front, I was thinking of a Borderlander with roots in Kandor and Shienar. While I would like him to be a Warder, I am thinking that he would not have been White Tower trained. The events resulting in my character being Bonded would need to get worked out. If there is no one interested in playing that out with me, I'll hit the drawing board or something.

Siereis

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 27, 2014, 09:15:44 PM
I think that addresses all of the main points that need to be addressed, and am amenable to this idea.

On the character front, I was thinking of a Borderlander with roots in Kandor and Shienar. While I would like him to be a Warder, I am thinking that he would not have been White Tower trained. The events resulting in my character being Bonded would need to get worked out. If there is no one interested in playing that out with me, I'll hit the drawing board or something.

I'm sure either myself or another one of the females playing Aes Sedai would be up for that.  After all, I always thought the whole bonding idea sorta was one of the more interesting aspects of the universe.

Either that, or perhaps we shouldn't declare ahead of time if/to whom he will bond.  For example, in our small group perhaps he just happens to work better with one Aes Sedai than the other and we can RP it from there.  Just a thought.

Cynadea

Regarding the Sandbox VS plot-driven group, I've found a way to make it work in one of my games and so far it has kept players interested (the game is almost a year old, created last April). There is a sandbox part to it, where people can RP whatever they want within the setting without GM involvement and there are "Episodes" which are GM-driven plots with stricter posting rules (like specific posting order, and must post within 3-4 day of last post just so the plot keeps moving. A player that is being skipped once for not posting by the 4th day is moved along by the GM if need be. If they have to be skipped twice in a row, they are written out by the GM. Not killed, just written out of the episode). The people taking part in the episode know the posting requirements and have the possibility to opt-in or opt-out and continue in the sandbox part.

It's a concept that could be used here, I think.

I plan to play an Aes Sedai but I have cold feet when it comes to bonding. I've worked my way into a bond so often to have my partner vanish once the bond is set that I tend to be a little hesitant. Given the nature of the bond, I would not play one that is already bonded to a PC.

I also have the ability to play a Warder, but just don't expect lengthy swordplay post from me.

Speaking of swordplay, I imagine that if there is a system for weaves there will be one for swordplay too?

Oh Moss, I really need that Wikipage created to give you a preview of the weave table. I would hate to work all those weaves into a table that you don't like ;)

Mossberg

I don't really want to be a GM in this. Not in the traditional sense anyways. I was thinking this could be sandbox, with some plot. While some of the people are going along with the plot, others are free to do as they wish pretty much. Or there could be secondary plots, or whatever. The requirement for posting when someone might be holding up a scene with others sounds fine to me. And there will be a posting order in all IC threads. I myself hate when I spend time coming up with a reply, just to go to post and see that someone commented out of turn which makes me have to change my post.

As for the bonding, whoever anyone chooses as their bondmate is between them, just remember that it is not a decision made lightly.

No, you misunderstand me about the weaves. The only "system" is for determining what you can or cannot use. The weaving itself and everything else is freeform.

I'm working on it. This is a lot of stuff, you know. Well over 10,000 words in Word, including the coding. And I'm not done. There are still other nations I need to write up as well as specific locations. And I'm still not entirely sure on using the wiki. I'd rather be able to do it in a format that I can edit. I don't know html, just bbcode.

So far I have an overall setting for the series itself, an explanation of the One Power, a list of a hundred or so weaves, talents and now I'm working on the nations. Then I still need to do the organizations, like Aes Sedai, Whitecloaks, etc. If anyone wants to help or anything they are more than welcome, just send me a message.

If people want I can post some of what I have here so everyone can see it.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

Quote from: Aysande on January 28, 2014, 03:13:28 AM
Regarding the Sandbox VS plot-driven group, I've found a way to make it work in one of my games and so far it has kept players interested (the game is almost a year old, created last April). There is a sandbox part to it, where people can RP whatever they want within the setting without GM involvement and there are "Episodes" which are GM-driven plots with stricter posting rules.

I think this option should be explored. I understand Mossberg doesn't want to be placed under the strain of being the official GM: I would not be adverse to taking turns in directing these "Episodes" so long as we can determine a definitive end point that doesn't take months to reach. It could be a lot of fun, and I would personally volunteer to lead one.

Just an idea.

Mossberg

-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Those are good points, Aysande. I had not thought of that. My apologies to everyone.

Mossberg

Here is the thread in the World Building board. While I may still use the wiki at some point, I figured that this would help me get it set up faster and easier, then when I have the time and patience I will likely work on posting it to the wiki. Right no I am working on the One Power, with nations and organizations coming next, then likely shadowspawn and anything else that I may be missing.

For those interested in being a Warder, or having Warder type training, I will be listing the Forms by difficulty. It is not essential to use the names every time the character makes an attack, but they will provide good references for those that don't know the movements or sword fighting that well.

Also, below I will be posting the system for the One Power that will be being used so that those wanting channelers will be able to get used to it.

One Power Character Scores

This is the system that will be used as a guide to roleplaying the One Power. If you have a channeling character, it is essential that you familiarize yourself with it. It may seem complicated at first, but it is really quite simple. The purpose of the system is to bring about a greater degree of order and certainty to roleplaying with the Power, so that everyone is clear on what they can do. It is also intended to reduce the amount of abuse, by clarifying what is not possible. A final aim is to actually improve roleplaying by giving firm guidelines on how channeling characters can be developed. It's important to note however, that the scores assigned to your character are not the be-all end-all of every situation. Despite a character being exceptionally strong in the Power and especially skilled in their use of it, they can still be beaten in the right situation.

The Five Powers
   (Note that the words affinities and elements are interchangeable with references to the Five Powers)

The Five Powers are natural affinities for each of the five elements, Air, Earth, Fire, Spirit and Water.  All five Powers added together give overall strength in the Power. Overall strength is rated out of 50, with each of the Five Powers rated out of 10. Average affinity for any given one of the Five Powers varies dependent on gender, with men having greater relative affinity for Earth and Fire, women for Air and Water, and the affinity for Spirit fairly equal between the two (relatively considering males are stronger than females to start with). Upon approval of your character biography, you will be randomly assigned your Strength score. As you should be aware, women are generally speaking weaker than men in the One Power. To account for this, the average (mean) One Power Strength score for women is set at 28. The average Strength score for men is set at 32. The random generation of statistics means that most Strength scores will be centered around the averages for each particular gender, with fewer and fewer people having scores that are further and further away from that average (thus, extremely weak and extremely strong channelers are less common than “average” channelers). Male scores range from 26-38, Females from 22-34. See Buy Chart below once you get your points to choose your element scores.

Skill

Skill is as important as Strength and thus is rated, like Strength, on a scale of 1-50. The average male level of skill is 28, female 32. As with Strength, your Skill score is assigned to you when your biography is approved. Female scores range from 26-38, Males from 22-34.

Potency

Potency is a measure of your character’s overall potential with the One Power, taking both Strength and Skill into account. Potency is measured out of 100, and consists of the sum of your Strength and Skill scores. Potency may never exceed 100 unless via the use of an angreal/sa’angreal, or in the special circumstances of linking.

Linking

Linking, or forming a circle is intended to increase the amount of strength available, when the raw potential of one channeler is not enough. Women can link up to thirteen, but any more requires a man. Men have no ability to link without a woman. In a link, one person has control of all the flows, and they are called the leader, or focus. Though not necessarily the most powerful person in the circle, they are almost always the most skilful. The role-playing effect of linking is to create effectively one channeler with greater strength. Skill of a circle is that of the leader. The effective Strength of the circle is not, however, as strong as the sum Strength of all the channelers involved in the circle. The equation for linked strength is as follows:

(Average Strength of the members of the circle) x (modifier)

The modifiers will be set on a base 1.5 with 0.1 added for each channeler that is added to the circle. A circle of 2 channelers would have a modifier of 1.5, a circle of 3 channelers would have a modifier of 1.6, and so on.

For example, if Nurien (Strength 29), Daedral (Strength 34) and Meritin (Strength 29) link, here is how to work out the overall strength of the circle:

Average Strength (92/3 = 31)

Multiply the result by the modifier for 3 channelers (31 x 1.6 = 50).

If Meritin is leading the circle, with a skill of 33, then the overall Potency of the circle would be 50 + 33 = 88.

Large circles are one of the few situations where potency can exceed the 100 limit normally placed upon it. Here is an example:

A circle of 13 Aes Sedai with a hypothetical average Strength of 28, using the appropriate modifier of 2.2 would have the following result:

Average Strength (28) x modifier (2.6) = 73

If Meritin is again leading this circle, with her Skill of 33, then the overall potency would be 73 + 33 = 106

If the result comes out as a decimal (for example, 109.84657) round to the nearest whole number where possible (previous example would become 110). If the decimal is an exact half (109.5) round the result down (to 109).

Angreal and Sa'angreal

Each angreal or sa’angreal is individual and unique. All angreal work in the same way – they boost overall strength, so that a channeler is not tired as quickly as if they were channeling unaided. They also have a buffer which prevents drawing too much of the Source.

Each angreal has a Multiplication Factor of the channeller’s own Strength. Multiples can include decimals, however the result produced should be rounded in the same way as results for linking. Some angreal/sa’angreal may also have a limiting factor to them, which can take any whole numerical value. A limiting factor represents the absolute maximum that can be drawn through an angreal (thus, the maximum addition to a character’s base Strength score), regardless of the Multiplication factor.

Angreal: Multiple Factor of channeller’s own strength (1-3)

Sa’angreal: Multiple Factor of channeller’s own strength (4-6)

Five Power Buy Charts

Male Channelers
Elemental ScoreEarth CostFire CostSpirit CostAir CostWater Cost

Female Channelers
Elemental ScoreAir CostWater CostSpirit CostFire CostEarth Cost

Average Elemental Scores
ElementMaleFemale
Earth84
Fire84
Air57
Water57
Spirit66
Total3228
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

Groovy. I'm stoked to see this is still moving forward.

AribethAmkiir

The gender bias on the Five Powers seems rather unfairly skewed.  I realize that all the information presented was taken from the core material, but the numbers don't seem accurate.  Add to that, that men don't have anywhere to study or train and the taint will likely drive them mad before they're able to teach themselves, and a male's skill rating should be half or less than what women are able to attain.

Vill

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 31, 2014, 02:42:38 AM
The gender bias on the Five Powers seems rather unfairly skewed.  I realize that all the information presented was taken from the core material, but the numbers don't seem accurate.  Add to that, that men don't have anywhere to study or train and the taint will likely drive them mad before they're able to teach themselves, and a male's skill rating should be half or less than what women are able to attain.

As it is now, the difference in the average skill and strength levels come very close to providing a nearly identical accumulative starting power between men and women. I could see drawing the conclusion that it might be appropriate for a trained Aes Sedai to be granted a higher starting skill stat. However, I don't recall a male's madness having a particular impact on any perceivable level of mastery or skill with regards to creating and maintaining weaves. I think the only thing that could really cause the loss of control were the random pockets of evil that escaped the Dark One's prison. If anything -- were the madness to progress to a crippling level -- it would result in a general loss of control over all functions.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the cannon lore that suggests that there should be a lower hard cap on a male's skill rating when compared to a woman's. Should they both cap out at 50, it is plausible that an Aes Sedai would start closer (assuming she has completed the three trials) to the cap than a trained male. I suppose there is also an Aes Sedai's age to take into consideration. However, an untrained female should have an identical starting stat of an untrained male, with a potentially lower strength stat.

Another thing to consider is that the events in the series seem to suggest that men move through the stages of gaining control over the source faster then women, as per the rapid expansion and growth of The Black Tower and its initiates. This becomes evident when compared to the amount of time a novice spends before ascending to accepted. Nynaeve, Egwene and Elyane being the exception. Although, this could also be attributed to the stauncher training format and indoctrination rituals that the White Tower observes... but, The Black Tower does seem to pump out killing machines at an impressive rate. However, for the sake of convince, this observation could be dismissed altogether.

It might make more sense to set the average starting skill range lower than where it sits now for both genders. This would allow for more play when considering the above factors. If you did want to set the hard cap lower than 50 for males -- say at 30, for the sake of drawing an arbitrary number -- then you could raise the hard cap on their strength stat to 70. This would reflect the cannon lore's insistence that they are, on average, stronger then women, and would maintain the cumulative power stat cap at 100. Again, these numbers were chosen just for the sake of providing an example.

As AribethAmkirr pointed out: one way to interpret the cannon lore to justify this lowered skill cap for men would be the fact that, even with the formation of The Black Tower, there is a more diverse and experienced pool of individuals available to pass down knowledge in regards to handling the female half of the source. But, the flip side to this is that eventually the real Dragon will come forward, and presumably pass down more intricate weaves that he himself had rediscovered. This might be a moot point though, if the dice system is not intended to play a prominent roll in the actual game play.

That's just my unbiased two cents: I don't plan on playing a channeler.  C:)

Zaer Darkwail

In the books it's clearly stated that the men's growth happens in bursts where as women's it's steady and predictable.

Example of 10 years progress a woman gains 1 strength per year and achieves 10pts in end. Men gain 1pt in first year, nothing next two, then gains +5 pts in third year and then several years nothing and final burst at 9th year.

Also when two halves are described the way how it's controlled is also different; to woman side you must surrender to it and let to be flown with it. While with male side you must grab bull on the horns and drag and force it to obey you will (as anything else and loosing control means you may burn out).

So the dynamics considered, the struggle and conflict results in chaotic spurs of development in men which can be staggering. In sense Black Tower initiates progress is so well done because it's brutal (more brutal than White Tower) and male side suits well for destruction anyways.

AribethAmkiir

If I remember correctly, it has been a while since I read any of the book, the Black Tower had a lot of their initiates die.  From what I've gathered here, there isn't going to be a Black Tower just a False Dragon drawing male channelers to him.  So, that should mean little to no training, no?

I agree skill should likely be close to equal, but if skill isn't going to decide training then something else should.

The thing that strikes me as most unbalanced is the "Average Elemental Scores".  Women are half as strong as men in Fire and Earth, yet men are slightly less than 2/3rds as strong as women in Air and Water?  I know it is difficult to put these concepts in the form of numbers, but that just doesn't seem accurate.

Vill

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 31, 2014, 05:42:33 AM
If I remember correctly, it has been a while since I read any of the book, the Black Tower had a lot of their initiates die.  From what I've gathered here, there isn't going to be a Black Tower just a False Dragon drawing male channelers to him.  So, that should mean little to no training, no?

I agree skill should likely be close to equal, but if skill isn't going to decide training then something else should.

The thing that strikes me as most unbalanced is the "Average Elemental Scores".  Women are half as strong as men in Fire and Earth, yet men are slightly less than 2/3rds as strong as women in Air and Water?  I know it is difficult to put these concepts in the form of numbers, but that just doesn't seem accurate.

Right, I was under the impression that anyone playing a male channeler would be starting out as untrained. Likewise, anyone starting out as an Aes Sedai would have a surplus of training. We'll have to see how Mossberg wants this to be reflected as far as the skill stat goes. It seems more than likely an adjustment would need to be made. Good call on pointing out that The Black Tower, or its OC component, hasn't been fully established yet. Although, I think I remember Mossberg saying that a driving plot point for the beginning of the game could be that rumors of its foundation are just now starting to circulate, giving The White Tower a reason to send sisters to investigate. I don't know if this is set in stone, though.

Mossberg's system seems like a good one if we assume that both male and female characters are starting out with an equivalent rate of progression in their training. Unfortunately, this seems highly unlikely:

A) It would be nearly impossible to have a male channeler start off as anything other than untrained without holding an already well established role, as either a false dragon, or The Dragon Reborn himself. This would compromise the feel that Jordan achieves in Eye of the World: the country bumpkins that are just starting their adventure. I understand that this is not an exact mirror of the cannon series, but I think that there was talk about starting off with the intention of replicating that vibe.

B) Again, I know that we don't have to exactly mirror the cannon lore, but (I think) the only women allowed to leave The White Tower are Aes Sedai (baring those being sent back home, or to farms for penance). So, it seems likely that no one will be starting off as an Accepted -- definitely not a Novice -- if they intend to be out in the world to interact with everyone else.

Taking these two points into consideration would mean that it would be difficult to imagine male and female channelers starting at comparable skill levels. As for strength levels: this would be easier to get away with. Whether or not Mossberg agrees that the intentional disproportion to the starting strength stats should be balanced -- it won't make too much of difference in the long run. The hard cap is still 10 for each element for both genders. It almost creates a sort of "diminishing return" on what should be a strength bonus for men.

All of that aside, I don't think it will make too much of an impact with regards to actual game play. I'm guessing that there is going to be some sort of a "weave table" where each weave has a corresponding power, skill and elemental strength check. The biggest thing seems to be that male channelers will need a lower starting skill to better represent their "untrained" status. Leaving his proposed Aes Sedai starting skill where it's at would then create that perceivable gap in training received.

Edit: There is totes a weave table. I guess it's up to Mossberg to decide what sort of weaves an untrained male should be capable of and set the skill stat from there. While this could severely handicap a young male channeler, it leaves open the possibility to sort of relive those "oh shit" moments that Rand has: GM intervention could allow -- in a dire circumstance -- a temporarily boosted skill level so that a character could save their own, or their partner's, hide.

Vill

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 31, 2014, 04:48:43 AM
In the books it's clearly stated that the men's growth happens in bursts where as women's it's steady and predictable.

Example of 10 years progress a woman gains 1 strength per year and achieves 10pts in end. Men gain 1pt in first year, nothing next two, then gains +5 pts in third year and then several years nothing and final burst at 9th year.

I remember that it's definitely burst vs. consistent growth. However, I remember a passage from Rand's perspective about how aggressively the normal Asha'man's progress was developing. I think I remember something along the same lines from one of Nynaeve's chapters too? I'm gonna see if I can't hunt them down. But, even if it is supposed to be accelerated by comparison, it's not something that necessarily needs to be directly expressed in stat mechanics.

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, many asha'man died in the farm not because of accidents but by supervising asha'man applying poison into wine and so give 'gentle departure' to students who had passed certain threshold in madness.

Overall most asha'man in books were little nuts but the one example mentioned which got killed off was student who imagined fiery ants crawling on his skin. So perhaps by Black Tower standards asha'man madness is no issue if it does not affect their use as a weapon (meaning they do not get distracted in a fight).

Some asha'man thought training was hard or did not want the deal after they accepted it, so they left and then got hunted down and heads hanging from the tree. Rand was shocked each time he visited farm to see varied 'culture' developments in his created male channeler community.

Mossberg

Sorry everyone, I had a real busy weekend and couldn't get on here. I'd like to address some issues though.

Apparently I forgot to mention that you don't get the maximum points all together. Say that a male channeler has the average scores listed, but they are only a beginner. In that case they would only get one third of their total potential. So it could look something like, Earth 3, Fire 3, Air 1, Water 2, Spirit 2 and Skill 10. Or something like that. The same would go for all channelers basically, depending on their rank/experience level. Since there are typically three stages (Novice/Soldier, Accepted/Dedicated and Aes Sedai/Asha'man) the total score is one third at first stage, two thirds at second stage and the full score at third stage. Hopefully this resolves any issues that people may have.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Mossberg

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 31, 2014, 05:42:33 AM

In the books most of the trainees at the Tower died from either accidents, madness related things or burning themselves out as a result of using the Power too much. Due to the close proximity of TG the Asha'man were being Forced as they call it to boost their strength as soon as possible so that they would be of use in the Last Battle, while also being able to compete with the White Tower. All Soldiers and Dedicated were required to do everything with the Power whenever possible. Chores, work, cleaning, etc. If they couldn't manage to channel enough that day due to tiredness or whatever, then they would eat cold food and whatnot.

Quote from: Vill on January 31, 2014, 03:27:59 AM
I don't recall a male's madness having a particular impact on any perceivable level of mastery or skill with regards to creating and maintaining weaves. I think the only thing that could really cause the loss of control were the random pockets of evil that escaped the Dark One's prison. If anything -- were the madness to progress to a crippling level -- it would result in a general loss of control over all functions.

The only way I can see madness influencing any weaving ability or skill would be hallucinations or something of the sort. Say a male channeler "sees" a horde of Trollocs rushing down on him, he is likely to lose concentration lol.

Quote from: Vill on January 31, 2014, 06:21:19 AM
A) It would be nearly impossible to have a male channeler start off as anything other than untrained without holding an already well established role, as either a false dragon, or The Dragon Reborn himself. This would compromise the feel that Jordan achieves in Eye of the World: the country bumpkins that are just starting their adventure. I understand that this is not an exact mirror of the cannon series, but I think that there was talk about starting off with the intention of replicating that vibe.

B) Again, I know that we don't have to exactly mirror the cannon lore, but (I think) the only women allowed to leave The White Tower are Aes Sedai (baring those being sent back home, or to farms for penance). So, it seems likely that no one will be starting off as an Accepted -- definitely not a Novice -- if they intend to be out in the world to interact with everyone else.

Edit: There is totes a weave table. I guess it's up to Mossberg to decide what sort of weaves an untrained male should be capable of and set the skill stat from there. While this could severely handicap a young male channeler, it leaves open the possibility to sort of relive those "oh shit" moments that Rand has: GM intervention could allow -- in a dire circumstance -- a temporarily boosted skill level so that a character could save their own, or their partner's, hide.

A - I'm not too sure on the False Dragon's bio yet, but I was thinking of having him be at a Dedicated's level of skill and power. He would have to have some skill to be able to call himself a Dragon. I mean, you can't accidentally light a candle one day with Saidin, then the next declare yourself the Dragon Reborn.

B - Yes, that is true. Though as this will be a Portal Stone World, some exceptions can be made with a good enough reason. An Accepted or two could possibly be travelling with a couple or few Aes Sedai on their way to do something.

And yes, I plan on giving the male channelers a list of weaves they will be capable of using and learning. Don't forget that there are still Dreadlords though, and they could have joined up to keep an eye on things and whatnot, then teach some weaves that nobody knows. Also, there is the whole "Old blood" thing that seems to kick in whenever a character is in dire trouble, perhaps weaving on pure instinct and not knowing what they are doing at first. So there is always the possibility that relatively unknown weaves get to be known.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Mossberg

So, I don't know if anyone is still interested in this or not, but in case anyone is I wanted to let you know that I'm pretty much taking a break for a little while. I've had a death in the family, been sick lately and haven't had any motivation to write. So I'll see you when I see you.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

AribethAmkiir

I'm sorry to hear that Mossberg.  :(

I'll keep an eye open for this and hopefully you'll return to it.

Mossberg

Thanks guys. I'll be trying to show my face around here a little more.

Just an update; I have posted nations and such to the World Building thread. Still have to edit it to put them in some semblance of order, but all of the major ones are there. If anyone wants more specific locations (i.e. Plains of Maredo, Spine of the World, etc.) speak up or I may decide to not post them if they have no significant role in the foreseeable future.

As always, the thread can be found by clicking on the left image in my signature.
-Lews Therin Telamon

AribethAmkiir

Mossberg

Just a heads up, I am looking for a Co-Gm to help me with this. Basically just someone to help me organize things and come up with ideas. Figured I would give the first chance to any of you who may want it before I post it in a topic. I would prefer it be someone that knows the series fairly well.

Any takers?
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Although I'm not up for co-Gming - my knowledge of the series is too incomplete - I wanted to say welcome back, Mossberg. It's good to see you around again.

Mossberg

Thanks. It's good to be back, even if my fingers are starting to cramp up lol.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Ms Gavane

I am very interested to see where this goes. I'm a WoT geek in many ways. Gavane is a word in the Old Tongue. It's where I got my start and I carry the name to reflect that. That being said, I'm a little prickly about story stuff. I also understand that any RPs here are not the books and are free to be modified by the group in any way it chooses.

Given that questions have been brought up from the series, i would like to address a few quick points.

1. Women in the story frequently complained that men were stronger in the Power than they were.  This wad not universally true, however the average man is stronger in the Power than the average woman. Women we only stronger, again on average, in Spirit and maybe air. This contrast is part of RJ's constant man vs. woman obsession.

2. When make channelers go crazy from the taint they tend to either wither away quickly or go out with a bang. Some examples from the series include destroying entire towns overnight.

3. Channeling is dangerous to learn alone or too quickly. The Black Tower suffered a large number of casualties because of the speed at which they pushed the recruits. Some went crazy and died, some were burnt out, and others were affected by the taint at an increased rate. The poisoning that was mentioned was considered a kinder way of dealing with these recruits than gentling.

I love that there is active interest in the series here and I would really enjoy playing along. However, I would really love to play in a taint-free world where men are not considered dangerous for being able to channel. I think this fits with the rest of the group's wishes given what I've read. I also think that it would be much easier to keep things in line with the series, but moldable (real word?) to the group's liking if we just make the setting x years after the series and make up or own rules for the stuff we want to change. Also, No worries about canon characters.

I would like to get in on things no matter what, so please feel free to disregard any of my suggestions.  They are just my thoughts, not requirements for me to play.

:Edited Govan to Gavane so that it would actually make sense that my name comes from the WoT series.:
O/O

Mossberg

Quote from: Ms Gavane on February 23, 2014, 10:43:35 PM
1. Women in the story frequently complained that men were stronger in the Power than they were.  This wad not universally true, however the average man is stronger in the Power than the average woman. Women we only stronger, again on average, in Spirit and maybe air. This contrast is part of RJ's constant man vs. woman obsession.

2. When make channelers go crazy from the taint they tend to either wither away quickly or go out with a bang. Some examples from the series include destroying entire towns overnight.

3. Channeling is dangerous to learn alone or too quickly. The Black Tower suffered a large number of casualties because of the speed at which they pushed the recruits. Some went crazy and died, some were burnt out, and others were affected by the taint at an increased rate. The poisoning that was mentioned was considered a kinder way of dealing with these recruits than gentling.

I love that there is active interest in the series here and I would really enjoy playing along. However, I would really love to play in a taint-free world where men are not considered dangerous for being able to channel. I think this fits with the rest of the group's wishes given what I've read. I also think that it would be much easier to keep things in line with the series, but moldable (real word?) to the group's liking if we just make the setting x years after the series and make up or own rules for the stuff we want to change. Also, No worries about canon characters.

I'm glad that you have shown interest in this. Unfortunately, I do not have an idea yet of when it will be up and running, but it is still advancing. There are a couple things I would like to address about what you said.

1. You are right about the average strength. I don't remember where, but I read a good comparison somewhere before. Like with muscles on people in real life, men are usually stronger than women. There are women that are stronger than men, but these individuals are pretty rare. This refers to natural strength, not that of weightlifters or anything like that. As for the elemental strengths you are mistaken. It has said repeatedly in the books that men were stronger in Fire and Earth, women stronger in Air and Water, with both of them being about equal with Spirit. Like the overall strength, there are exceptions, but not often.

2. That is somewhat up for debate I'd say, especially in a roleplay group. I believe that like sicknesses and diseases it affects each person at a different rate. Here is a section from a wiki page about the Taint:

"A slow degradation of body and mind, the taint sets in some time after a man starts channeling. Those affected go mad and slowly rot away from the inside, often destroying their surroundings and loved ones in the process. Interestingly, this physical rotting and madness are not dissimilar from the effects of the True Power on Ishamael, its only known long-time user. This has led the remaining female Aes Sedai to hunt down and gentle all men who can channel, to prevent a second Breaking of the World.

In addition, some Aes Sedai and at least one of the Forsaken (Semirhage) believe that men will hear voices as they go mad, although it is still debated whether these are "actual" voices from past lives, or just symptoms of the madness' progression."

And as for the "Taint free" world, I'm not sure what you mean. Like there never was a Taint, or that it has been cleansed? And I don't remember who said it right now, but someone pointed out that if we set it after the series then most of the shadowspawn and all that would be gone and there wouldn't be anyone to really fight except ourselves, not to mention that the politics would be changed as well as possible nations and all that. For the making up our own rules and no canons that is why we are using a Portal Stone World. Kind of the same as in the series, but we have complete freedom to make original content and characters.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Ms Gavane

Yes, you are right about the distribution of the five powers. I was not sure on those and should have just stopped and looked it up.

My statement about the Taint (I totally think of something different when I say that word.) was ambiguous. I should have clarified that when the Taint becomes an issue it either kills with a nasty withering disease or the poison goes insane and often violently so. It is also noteworthy that the effects and speed at which the Taint progresses is often directly proportional to the channel e's strength in the Power. Rand's Taint progressed at a very quick rate, for example. He was seeing the effects within a year and certifiably 'insane' within two. I'll also note, since it was brought up earlier, that at one point one of the forsaken, I believe it was Semirhage explains to Rand that his insanity is just the opening up of his mind to his previous incarnations. Of course his previous incarnation was actually insane.
O/O

Mossberg

There are quite a few different things that can happen as a result of the Taint. Near the end of the series for example (I wont give any real details or say names) there was the one guy that saw Fades in shadows and all that. Some hear voices. Really, I think the mental parts can be just like real insanity and take many forms. Hallucinations, schizophrenia, and all sorts of things. And you are right about the strength vs. progression of the Taint I believe. Though we can't always use Rand as an example, as he was Ta'veren and the Pattern could have given him access to things normal channelers wouldn't have, Taint or no. Like he could have went insane just to have access to Lews Therin's memories and such so that he would know better what to do and how to do it. I wish they had given more point of view sections to other channelers, like Logain, Narishma, or nearly anyone else really. The only time I really remember things from an Asha'man's p.o.v. was near the end of the series, if not the last book itself.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Melange

I'm also interested in this idea, and will be watching this thread. WoT is not without its flaws, as others have noted, but it's still one of my favorite series. I love the vast breadth of the world, and the thought and imagination that went into creating the many peoples, customs, places, and factions.

I've considered trying my hand at GM'ing a WoT game, but it's pretty intimidating to consider. Since starting out smaller is probably a good idea, I may be interested in being a co-GM. Would you be able to elaborate more on what you're looking for in a co-GM? And what their duties would be?

Mossberg

I appreciate your interest and I mean no offense at all when I say this, but why would I choose you to be my Co-GM? I know nothing of you or your ability to write, let alone your knowledge of the series. When I made the offer of a Co-GM in this thread, it was for those that have been here trying to help me with it already. If it's not going to be one of them then I was going to try getting an experienced GM to help me with some things.

Sorry if that came off rude or anything, I do not mean for it to sound that way.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Melange

I saw mention of a co-GM in the thread, and it sounded like you were asking in general. I thought I would bring it up as a possibility, and that we might discuss it and see if it could be a thing. It looks like that's out, and I'm sorry if I assumed incorrectly!

Mossberg

Okay, I've got a question for you guys. Since nobody has brought up anymore ideas or locations, then I'm guessing that there aren't any that you feel I should add? If not then I will move on to the organizations and such. So far I was thinking the Aes Sedai (of course) and Whitecloaks. I don't see any others being needed immediately.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

If there are Asha'man in this game, maybe a brief write up on them. I forget what we decided about them.

Mossberg

If I remember correctly, we decided that they would pretty much be novice channelers under the tutelage of a False Dragon. So as of now, there is no actual Black Tower or Asha'man. They are going to be based in an abandoned village in the Caralain Grass as long as nobody has any objections to that.
-Lews Therin Telamon