The Dungeons of Doom

Started by Jeramiahh, November 05, 2007, 01:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

This has been an idea stewing in the back of my mind for a long, long time, especially since it's based off one of the first games I joined on this site. Based off of Giant Moth's Caverns of Chaos game, the idea is simple; a lone adventurer ventures into a mountainside cavern, a magical, ever-shifting dungeon, filled with all sorts of dark and twisted evils. Of course, this IS Elliquiy, so much of that evil will be sexy.

Players will create a character for v.3.5 D&D, around 6th level (more specifics, later), and set off into the dungeon, in search of glory. Of course, all manner of interesting things could happen to the poor, solo heroes... fall into the hands of bandits, hobgoblins, succubi/incubi, or whatever tickles your (or my) fancy. No real experience with the system is required, either; I can create a character for someone not familiar with the rules, and the core rules are incredibly simple to understand.

For the most part, characters will be kept to their own, separate adventures... but there's nothing saying they have to. Especially if the players are interested in it, it'd be very easy to combine different plots, or have one player travel through a location another has already passed through. Naturally, due to its nature, I suspect there will be plenty of opportunities for NC sex, monsters, bondage, and all sorts of other goodies, though, of course, I'll play to any turn-ons and limits of the players; last thing I want to do is drive someone away!

As I said before, characters will be 'about' 6th level. I say 'about' because I want to give players the option of having a companion along with them, at the cost of reducing their own level, as well as spending part of their starting cash. So, here's the basics:

Books: Almost everything by Wizards is open. Between my own collection and a couple friends, I have a vast majority of their books. Nothing campaign specific, unless approved. If you're looking for something, but don't have it in the books you have, just ask; I can usually find a good build for anything.

Stat array: 36 point buy.

Starting Wealth: 20,000 gp. (Yes, this is more than standard wealth. I want the players to have some fun equipment.)

Alignment: Any. Good and evil alike can find something of worth here.

Level: ECL 6, unless taking a companion (see below). Non-core races/templates are subject to approval.

Note: If you want to play a truly unique concept, such as the Sex Wizard from the original game, please, ask... as this is primarily a single-player game, there's a LOT of room for flexibility.

Also, please include a list of things you'd be interested in trying with that character, ie; specific kinks or turn-ons. Not required, but makes designing plots a little easier on my side of things.

And, of course, if you have any questions, please, ask. I'm glad to answer them.

Companions: This can include anything from a trained animal, to an equal level partner. Half of the money spent may be spent on items/equipment for that character, the other half represents buying/hiring them. All are subject to DM approval.
ECL <1/2: 100-500 gp, based on what it is. This is for really small things, like pet dogs or familiar-like pets, or a 1st level NPC class character.
ECL 1: 1000 gp. A larger animal, or a 2nd level NPC class, or a 1st level PC class.
ECL 2: 2500 gp. A 3rd level NPC class, or a 2nd level PC. A reasonably powerful ally.
ECL 3: 5000 gp, reduce your ECL to 5. Same progression as before, though this might also include a monstrous ally.
ECL 4: 10000 gp, reduce your ECL to 4. A partner. Effectively reduces your gold by 25%, but gives you twice as many actions for the same power level, roughly. These latter two options could also be played by a second player, if so desired.

EDIT: Now, with brand new 4th Edition options! I've resurrected this, and am opening myself to new players. The rules for a 4e character are, essentially, the same as the 3.5 characters: 36 point buy, 6th level, above standard wealth for the level, and the option for a companion.

To reflect the different wealth level, add one more item of each level, and double your gold. That means 2 7th level items, 2 6th, 2 5th, and 2000gp. However, since you may not need two items of each level, you can also trade items for gold at a 1:1 ratio, during creation. This gives you a grand total of 12,800gp, though no item may be purchased over 7th level, and then, no more than 2 of those. You may also spend gold (and levels!) on an ally; prices are half of what's listed above, except the level cost.

EDIT: Locking this thread, to keep it from being perpetually bumped. If you want to play, PM me.

EDIT: 4e can get lost.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

schnookums

OldSchoolGamer

Sounds like fun.

I picture playing the decently capable yet spoiled daughter of a collector of antiquities.  She decides to go adventuring, wanting to get away from the stuffiness of her homelife and her tyrannical mother.  Of course, she finds adventuring isn't all its cracked up to be. 

To paraphrase Bilbo Baggins: "Adventures are nasty things.  They can cause you to lose your virginity."

Jeramiahh

Definitely! Always looking for more players, much to my free time's detriment! Have any particular character in mind, Schnookums? And if you've got a character, go ahead and sketch out a sheet, run it past me, Ty... and feel free to ask if you have any questions (though, judging by your name, you ought to be fine =P).
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Xillen

Hmm, I'm a sucker for D&D, and I was already thinking if I should perhaps include one game to my list of a somewhat different nature. If I started the game with a different look at the situation, I could probably bent my O/O list somewhat...

*ponders himself*

Muse

*bows*  If you still have openings in a week, may I play? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jeramiahh

That's the beauty of this game; unless I go completely crazy with it, and am running a game for half the site, there's no real limit as to how many players I can throw at this! =P

EDIT: OOC thread and Character Sheets are both up, though I ask that you run your sheet by me, first, before posting it.

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11652.0
Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11651.0

Xillen

Ok, I'm interested.

I guess the Leadership feat is off, as we have other means to aquire a cohort?

As for the cohort, am I right in saying that I can be ECL 6 with full stats, and have a ECL 2 cohort, and a total of 18750g to spend, as long as I spend at least 1250g of that on my cohort?

What stats does the cohort have?

Is the Factotem from Dungeonscape allowed? It's actually designed as a onemember-party class, specialized in Dungeon Crawling, thus, it seems excellent to be taken unter the test for this.

Is being Middleaged allowed? If I go with the Factotem class, I want her to be somewhat of a loremaster, who managed to do more in life than working with her brains than through sheer action (though she's capable of that), and she would spend large parts of her life just collecting various info over hunting gold and experience (she'd be in her late 30s).

Jeramiahh

Excellent! Let's see...

Leadership: If you *really* want to spend the feat, sure... I'd forgotten that level 6 is all that's really required. But, if you take the feat,t he other option is not available.

Cohort: Yes, essentially. 1,250 gold 'goes away', the other 1,250 must be spent on the cohort. You may, of course, spend more, if you wish... the idea is for something to be there, to help you, since D&D often screws over the solo man. Noone to watch while you sleep, noone to carry your stuff for you, and it's nigh impossible for rogue types to set up a flank, without an ally.

Cohort stats will be DM generated, and less than a player; I'm thinking elite array, class chosen by DM to fill the role the player requests, ie; player asks for a meatshield, might get a fighter, barbarian, paladin, or warrior, depending on my mood. Asks for an arcane user, might get a wizard, sorcerer, or adept. I'm willing to work with you on the specifics.

I'll need to take a look at the class; the book's a little on the higher end of the power side, form what I've noticed, but a pretty solid book, overall. Tentatively approved, barring finding something horribly wrong with it.

I don't see why not; the only complaint I have with it is that it gives odd amounts of +stats, which is a munchkin's dream... -1 to a stat can end up not lowering it, while +1 can raise one, giving you, theoretically, a net benefit of +3. If you've got a good reason for it, not just because you want the mechanics bonus, work it so it doesn't provide more than a +1 net bonus to stats. If you want it for purely flavor reasons, then you don't need to apply the stat adjustments.

Xillen

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMLeadership: If you *really* want to spend the feat, sure... I'd forgotten that level 6 is all that's really required. But, if you take the feat,t he other option is not available.

Hmm, that seems a bit out of balance, being able to spend a feat, to get basically the same as spending two levels and 5000g :S Don't forget it requires level 6 AND DM's approval.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMCohort stats will be DM generated, and less than a player; I'm thinking elite array, class chosen by DM to fill the role the player requests, ie; player asks for a meatshield, might get a fighter, barbarian, paladin, or warrior, depending on my mood. Asks for an arcane user, might get a wizard, sorcerer, or adept. I'm willing to work with you on the specifics.

Hmm, I'd go for something with healing capabilities. If it could also form as a meatshield (ie, Cleric, Paladin), that would be nice.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMI'll need to take a look at the class; the book's a little on the higher end of the power side, form what I've noticed, but a pretty solid book, overall. Tentatively approved, barring finding something horribly wrong with it.

Basically, it has 4 focus points per encounter, each allowing it to use abilities as good as a main class would, but on the spot, so in one fight, it's capable of swinging a single attack with the might of a barbarian, turning one group of undead, casting one arcane spell and avoid one blow with the grace of a monk. After that, he'd have the melee prowess of a spellless cleric. It's a little on the strong end for really short encounters, and a little on the weak end for longer encounters.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMI don't see why not; the only complaint I have with it is that it gives odd amounts of +stats, which is a munchkin's dream... -1 to a stat can end up not lowering it, while +1 can raise one, giving you, theoretically, a net benefit of +3. If you've got a good reason for it, not just because you want the mechanics bonus, work it so it doesn't provide more than a +1 net bonus to stats. If you want it for purely flavor reasons, then you don't need to apply the stat adjustments.

It would be kind of hard to get that setup with point-buy, as you'd have to buy all odd scores for it to work, and then it might've been easier to buy even only scores without the adjustments. I'm not sure you can get any +stat out of it overall, though it would benefit the mental stats slightly more of course. Pumping an int of 20 would rock from a munchkin's point of view of course, but it's not the primary reason I took it.

Ahh, maybe I should just keep her in the early 30s and make it easier on the both of us :P

BK Geno

Jera, I will be sending in a character sheet soon. This game looks interesting, and will be a V3.5  sorceress. What race, not sure yet. Something exotic, definitely not human. Thinking maybe a drow, or something even more out there.

Female drow necromancer. That is my character concept.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Muse

How do you feel about substitution levels? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Interesting.  Would it be possible to fit into this game if I'm not really interested in having my character be sexually victimized?

Jeramiahh

Ok, lots of questions... let's go down the list.

QuoteHmm, that seems a bit out of balance, being able to spend a feat, to get basically the same as spending two levels and 5000g :S Don't forget it requires level 6 AND DM's approval.

Possibly... but remember, most people, at this level, will have three feats, which are incredibly valuable. That, and I don't think I'll give the full benefit. Maybe equivalent to the ECL 3 partner, or have the ally you attract be less effective, less optimized.

QuoteBasically, it has 4 focus points per encounter, each allowing it to use abilities as good as a main class would, but on the spot, so in one fight, it's capable of swinging a single attack with the might of a barbarian, turning one group of undead, casting one arcane spell and avoid one blow with the grace of a monk. After that, he'd have the melee prowess of a spellless cleric. It's a little on the strong end for really short encounters, and a little on the weak end for longer encounters.

Aye, might prove a bit powerful; most fights won't be very long, due to the resources one guy has available. I mean, without fireball or similar area spells, a dozen 1st level things will be able to just grapple you into submission, if nothing else (of course, in my game, that's more or less expected... *grin*) Of course... I'd have free reign to design around your character, so you never know. Give it a try, what's he worst that can happen?

QuoteIt would be kind of hard to get that setup with point-buy, as you'd have to buy all odd scores for it to work, and then it might've been easier to buy even only scores without the adjustments. I'm not sure you can get any +stat out of it overall, though it would benefit the mental stats slightly more of course. Pumping an int of 20 would rock from a munchkin's point of view of course, but it's not the primary reason I took it.

Ahh, maybe I should just keep her in the early 30s and make it easier on the both of us

True, true... I just know I've seen people pull silly things in the past; there's a reason none of the core races, in fact, none of the races I've seen, give odd stat bonuses/penalties.

QuoteJera, I will be sending in a character sheet soon. This game looks interesting, and will be a V3.5  sorceress. What race, not sure yet. Something exotic, definitely not human. Thinking maybe a drow, or something even more out there.

Female drow necromancer. That is my character concept.

Wonderful, I'll take a look at her in a little bit... though I might not get to it until tonight.

QuoteHow do you feel about substitution levels?

Depends on their source. Most of the ones I've seen are decent, but I've noticed a few awful class variants, like the Barbarian one in Complete Champion: first level ability? Pounce, letting you make a full attack at the end of a charge. That is ungodly powerful. Lemme know their origin, I'll take a look, but tentatively approved.

QuoteInteresting.  Would it be possible to fit into this game if I'm not really interested in having my character be sexually victimized?

I *suppose*, i you ant to take away all of my fun. =P Nah, I'm sure we can work something out. Do you mean no sexiness at all, or no NC? Or would rather be the attacker? Believe me, I can work with most anything.

Muse

Well, the one I want to do in this case is custom. 

Basically, for a Favored Soul of Eilistraee, instead of armor and shield proficiencies, they gain a prohobition against armor, but gain a sacred bonus to their AC equal to their level/5 + thier Charisma Modifier. 

kongming

Heh, when I first saw that, I read it as level + 5 + Cha and thought "Holy freaking crap!"

Then realised what it actually said.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Xillen

Hmm, it's along the lines of the Monk and Duelist. Can they still equip shields?

Muse

No shields.  And yes, exactly along the lines of the monk. 

They can benefit from force armor, same as the monk. 

Jefepato

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 08, 2007, 10:06:06 AM
I *suppose*, i you ant to take away all of my fun. =P Nah, I'm sure we can work something out. Do you mean no sexiness at all, or no NC? Or would rather be the attacker? Believe me, I can work with most anything.

I wouldn't mind being the attacker (or at least the coercer, depending on what's encountered in the dungeons); I just don't enjoy having my characters be on the receiving end of NC sex.

Of course, the question is what sort of character to play.  I was thinking of a warblade; a mindbender would be interesting, but that class sucks tremendously (and I don't really want to take a d4 hit die alone into a dungeon anyway).  One of the less-wacky monster races (hobgoblin, ogre, etc.) might fit the theme as well...

Chameleon

I'd be interested as well,  I'm going through my books right now trying to find a decent class. 

Zephraim

Coolness!  Love to play if still have the room.  Human wizard, will send character to you in PM if you wish to see him.

If only I had as much fun at my work as I work at my fun....

Jeramiahh

Hoo boy, step out for a day, and the requests keep piling in! Not that I'm complaining; I love this stuff!

Muse: I like the idea. Running some numbers; most favored souls will wear either a chain shirt, 4 AC, or a breast plate, 5 AC, depending on if they want medium or heavy (or full plate, if they burn Heavy Prof.), so that means that, at 6th level (we won't likely make 10, ever), you'll receive 2+CHA... FS's are multi-dependent casters, so CHA won't be as maximized as a Wizard would want it... so assuming you start with a 16, that's equivalent to a breastplate, without the movement penalty... but, if you ever want to raise that AC, it's a LOT more expensive, so, it balances out.

In short, approved.

Jefpato: I've seen a mindbender in actual play... and, yes, they do suck. Those lost caster levels hurt. And can you even qualify for it, at 6th? Warblade's probably a much better choice for a soloist, anyway.

Chameleon, Zepharim: Go ahead and drop me a line if you have questions; there's always room, God help me. =P

kongming

A decent alternative to the Mindbender is the Beguiler (PHB2). That being said, Warblade does sound like a solid choice.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Xillen

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 09, 2007, 10:16:34 AMMuse: I like the idea. Running some numbers; most favored souls will wear either a chain shirt, 4 AC, or a breast plate, 5 AC, depending on if they want medium or heavy (or full plate, if they burn Heavy Prof.), so that means that, at 6th level (we won't likely make 10, ever), you'll receive 2+CHA... FS's are multi-dependent casters, so CHA won't be as maximized as a Wizard would want it... so assuming you start with a 16, that's equivalent to a breastplate, without the movement penalty... but, if you ever want to raise that AC, it's a LOT more expensive, so, it balances out.

If it's identical to the monk's, then it's actually 1+CHA at level 6, the rough equivalent of a nonmagical chain shirt. If it wasn't for a single game, I'd add a clausule that it overlaps (doesn't stack) with the Monk's armor bonus, or you could get insane armor at low level without any ACP. ;)

Jeramiahh

Ahh, good point. Yes, those two armor bonuses wouldn't stack. and, yeah, 6/5 =1, not 2. I read that in my head as "At first level, and every 5 levels after..."

And, yes, KM, Beguiler's a good class... unless you need to do damage. *grumbles about the DM who, after three fights won almost entirely with sleep, has sent nothing but vermin and undead for the last five sessions, making the poor bastard useless.*