Legend of Dragoon OC RP

Started by JayNighte, April 02, 2014, 11:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Goo Theory

Chances are free form.  I don't have any available system on hand.  Any requests?
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Freeform works just fine by me. 

Rajah

It's worth noting that Meru was a Wingly and a full Dragoon. It's possible Winglies just can't access the Divine Dragoon Spirit for whatever reason; the lore in the game isn't really very complete, so there's a lot of room to invent your own mythology. Of a certainty, a known god made a tree to produce 108 forms of life and the 108th was meant to "reset" the world. We know nothing else about this god, its character, or whether it had any greater plans beyond its reset cycle - might be interesting for the plot of the game to explore, maybe set after the original - God returns, things get messed up - whatever. There are unanswered questions about a lot of things, like what the Divine Dragon and its spirit actually are or represent; the Winglies presumably chained it down, but why didn't the humans release it after the war, considering their alliance with dragons?

Anyway, the only Wingly who tries that we know off can't bond to the Divine Dragoon Spirit. Maybe it's him, maybe it's a racial thing, who knows. Meru and Lenus manage okay with a regular Dragoon Spirit.

Freeform works okay for me. FATE's free and could work for something like this with a little work to get a subsystem going (the shape of it's easy enough to predict, every turn as a Dragoon does stress to a special track, Dragoon form having a special Refresh to reflect its growth...) but, you know, different strokes and all. I'd be willing to help out with mechanical design if you did want to run it in FATE.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

JayNighte

Freeform or FATE work for me too. I would prefer to be Earth or Water in terms of Elements, and would probably go human.

EdwardShane

I admit I don't really know anything about FATE, but I'd be willing to try it out.

JayNighte

Personally, I think freeform would work best - especially since Fate might involve PMs, and I can't do that.

Green Goo Theory

We already know dragoon spirits are tuned to specific people.  Regardless of race if that spirit doesn't recognize you then you aren't using it.  So chances are Lloyd simply wasn't the right choice for that specific spirit.  I did forget about Lenus though being a powerful wingly in addition to having a dragoon spirit  so I can't really disallow them entirely; even if she was a boss NPC.  But I'd probably have to limit her in the same way she was in the game and she didn't use (or maybe could not use) Wingly magic while in dragoon form.

Also, I'd probably take a few liberties with the cosmology and mythology.  Nothing directly contradictory to the series but any place I need to for the sake of the story I may still work on filling in the gaps.  And I already had the god planned into the story; just because its body is destroyed doesn't mean it won't keep reincarnating into mortal bodies to suit its needs.  I won't tell anyone the degree of importance that would have on the story or the direction it would take the story or world but it's entirely possible that angle is played at some point.

I think I'll take input on freeform vs system.  Just to see what people think.  Seems to favor freeform though and I don't know FATE at all right now. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

I guess the wingly magic stuff will be something to work out when character creation rolls around then.  I am quite flexible and will roll with whatever decision the GM decides to make concerning what my character should and should not be capable of.

As for FATE vs Freeform, I will lean more towards freeform...but that's mainly because it's what I know.

Zeth

Well Dracoon is a combat heavy game, so doing it free form means the PCs will pretty much always trash any npcs and the game will focus on interparty politics and romance which is not good for a non adult game.

Just my 2 cents.

EdwardShane

That isn't necessarily true, actually.  Not all writers strive to always win in a combat situation, and will accept hits and defeats where they are due.  Plus, the GM could always figure out what a suitable challenge would be, and toss it at the players.  Freeform is an honor based system, and while yes...not everyone does play it how it should be played, there are those out there who do.

Rajah

Easy system to add to freeform to handle combat, Rule of Three: Any conflict between players, or any critical conflict between players and the environment (mooks get trounced), gets three posts from each party back-and-forth, total of six posts made.

Then the GM votes one way or the other, VOTE 1.
Uninvolved players have X hours (12 or 18 is usually good) to vote one way or the other (offsite anonymous poll works) as a democracy, VOTE 2. If players don't vote or it's tied, this becomes a GM coin flip.
The last vote is a coin flip by the GM, VOTE 3.

GM tallies, does not announce which votes went which way, does announce victor. You get a fourth and final post for your victory. GM should vote for or against themselve in PVE conflicts according to whether they think the challenge is reasonable, so you have to both lose the coinflip and the popular vote to lose to an antagonist - which can happen. Limits of victory are whatever the GM sets or is reasonable - death is probably off the table in a sparring contest and probably on the table if you're challenging another player in a duel for a prince's hand in marriage or whatever.

Keeps things fair, the random element helps avoid hurt feelings, keeps combat nontrivial - if you bite off more than you can chew against a dragon, for example, you're likely to lose the popular vote AND the GM vote if no one thinks it's reasonable for you to succeed. Works for everything from a friendly race to an epic battle to a religious debate.

Green Goo Theory

I'm not sure I'm a fan of that voting system.  I don't mind systems much though.  In some ways I prefer them since not everyone can perform effective combat role play.  And I could definitely find ways to prevent things getting too one sided; we already saw that dragoon spirits weren't the first choice in a fight and without the spirits the human forms weren't over powered in-universe.

In fact the only reason I dislike using systems is that it can (sometimes) let some players feel like they can get lazy with posting.  Not that I require a specific length or amount of detail; just kind of bugs me when an RP degrades into a back-and-forth of 3 word posts.
Coming soon...

Rajah

I guess I'll vote FATE, but I'm fine freeform, which is good because I feel pretty confident that's how the vote'll turn out.  :P

JayNighte

If we go with FATE, is there a way to NOT need the PM system here?

Rajah

I can't imagine why you'd need the PM system in the first place? It doesn't seem like it would logically come into play the way it might in, say, Paranoia.

Rajah

EdwardShane

I think it might be...I'm just waiting to hear if decisions have been made concerning it

Green Goo Theory

I was waiting to hear about more character information in responses, honestly.  Also, is the FATE stsuff available somewhere for free? 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Oh...well as I said, I was considering a dark dragoon winglie.  exact abilities in terms of being a winglie I would need to work out with you, the GM.

I was considering playing a female, to be honest...weapon of choice being a pair of chakrams.  Still working on personality and such, but I can tell you know she won't be happy/bubbly/cheerful or anything like that.

JayNighte

I want either Earth or Water. I might just play a miner for Earth :P (only half-joking. I thought of awesome pickaxe moves)

Rajah

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 06, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
I was waiting to hear about more character information in responses, honestly.  Also, is the FATE stsuff available somewhere for free?

Yup! FATE's actually pay-what-you-want, which is pretty awesome. Available from their website here.

Name: Taegul Ramakh
Race: Human
Element: Light

A "simple woodsman", Taegul is the son of Alara Ramakh, foremost duelist and swordswoman in Basil in her day. Past her prime, she's given up the art and retired to a quieter life of art, music, and high society; her efforts to teach her children the importance of strength and etiquette, unfortunately, did not mirror her martial accomplishment. Taegul's older sisters are a Sandora terrorist and a wandering "dragonslayer" yet to slay anything, respectively, and Taegul himself left home when the lessons turned abusive as desperation and bitterness overtook Lady Alara. Heading into the woods beyond Bale to spite his noble blood, he spent several years keeping the trails clear and trading game for a living until receiving a formal apology from his mother in the form of a three-page letter. He never went home, but he's been a devoted student of the sword ever since, a known purveyor of martial arts records and manuals, and those that trade with him sometimes comment on his mastery of the social graces. No letter from him was forthcoming, but the rumors reached his parents, who are comforted to know at least one of their children has found something like a positive direction in life.

He's been estranged from the greater motions of society long enough that it's begun to wear on him; he visits the market far more often than he needs to, and has added books of adventure and history to his reading list. At this point he's seriously considering a new vocation and not unlikely to join the first caravan or grand quest that passes by; after news of his eldest sister Yahine leading a successful slaughter of a sizable fishing vessel that ventured too close to Imperial Sandora, he's also become haunted by the suspicion that it may fall to him as blood to put the family mad dog down.

Green Goo Theory

So light, darkness, and possibly earth/water.  Two humans and a wingly.  Alright.

I'm also more asking about character ideas (or a sheet if you want) for story purposes more than anything else.

Thanks for the link too.
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

A sheet would be helpful, actually

Green Goo Theory

I'll work on it tomorrow.  This week and possibly next week are going to be exceptionally busy for me.  On the job training and stuff. 
Coming soon...

EdwardShane

Oh, fun....I hope things go really well!  No hurry, take care of your RL first and foremost.