News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Star Craft 2

Started by Acid Lips, July 25, 2010, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

Quote from: Hemingway on July 29, 2010, 05:00:08 PM
YOU, MIGHTY VIKING, ARE LOST.

Is that text referencing something, like Zero Wing? Stupid question. All Blizzard jokes reference something. Some of them are pretty clever!

Gahh. I have another question, though - why does every single mission have to have some kind of time limit? The length of a game is important to me, and nothing limits that like time limits. I hate you, time limits!

Lost vikings was Blizzard's very first game.

Remiel- Ya...I played it for a very long time...I love those style games. I was looking to buy Raiden the other day for XBox or ps3 and came up empty handed.

Hemingway

Quote from: Aiden on July 29, 2010, 11:52:10 PM
Lost vikings was Blizzard's very first game.

Remiel- Ya...I played it for a very long time...I love those style games. I was looking to buy Raiden the other day for XBox or ps3 and came up empty handed.

I mean the intro text. I know the Lost Vikings. Viking references them too. ; )

RubySlippers

Quote from: Acid Lips on July 25, 2010, 04:41:04 PM

I was wondering who would play this game, I mean this game comes out in two days and was wondering if people would like to form a group to play online.

Well three things are preventing me from this:

1. Old Computer: Mine is Windows XP and I won't get a new one until later this year.

2. Cost: $60.00 is steep I bought the original game with Brood War and guidebooks for $20.00 but that is not the biggest reason of the three ...

3. It requires a BROADBAND internet connection and I have dial-up with a free accelerator so even if I had the computer and wanted to ante up the $60 that would make it mute for the main reason I own games is to play on-line. And I can only afford around $10 a month for internet. So do alot of people on very modest incomes. So they just won't get my business this time.

Remiel

So far, I'm enjoying the hell out of the campaign.  I've done only a couple of multiplayer co-op battles with my friends, but I love the progression of the single-player mode in terms of story, character interaction, upgrades, special units, mercenaries, the cinematics... yes.

As far as I'm concerned, it was definitely worth the wait.  Probably the best game of 2010.

Noelle

I'm beating my head against the wall. I ordered my SC2 on May 1st, have been waiting and waiting, only to have UPS mark my package as 'delivered', and it not showing up :( /killself

Aiden

Aww that sucks! Kill them all!

Kineas

Was there still interest in forming up a group for online play?

Cause I am SO in on that if so. :3

Aiden

Acid Lips

so doing a char sheet there

Aiden

-subliminal- There is nothing sexier than the chemistry between a medic and a firebat /-subliminal-   XD

Acid Lips

lol ^^, yea wanted to be a ghost but did not knew if the owner would accept another one so I made a medic

Aiden

Medic are always in demand, I am going to need more stim pack injections.

Acid Lips

*Takes out a huge needle* are you sure?

Aiden

Acid Lips

Aiden

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaa!"

Hemingway

Hrm. The campaign would've been better with a more interesting story and some more twists. It would've been better if all the missions didn't have time limits, too. But the worst part? It teases you with units that aren't available in multiplayer. I mean, goliath, vulture, wraith and so on, I get it, Raynor's Raiders use them and they're outdated. What about Spectres? I want Spectres! Spectres > Ghosts!

I want Vultures, too, though. Seriously, no Vultures, and apparently we get Hellions instead? Pfft. Never used them. Except in the one mission where you get them.

And Firebats! I mean, the ridiculous armor aside, I love them.  I'd gladly give up Marauders for Firebats.

Geeklet

So far, I'm liking it. I was worried that since they were actually releasing each race's campaign as a separate game each, that I'd get it and would feel unsatisfied by only having the terrans this time around (multiplayer excluded), but so far, I feel its been worth the price, and that there is enough content to justify it.

Hemingway

I figured out what's missing. Or one of the things, anyway. A small thing that would, in my opinion, have improved the campaign greatly: where's Raynor? He's missing from about 95% of the missions, even though it's implied he's on the ground with his soldiers. Heck, late in the game ( more on that later! ), there's a cutscene clearly showing him fighting, yet he's absent from the mission. WHY? It makes no sense. And to have Raynor or some other hero leading the attack would've added so much!

Speaking of late in the game, I started the final missions and ... this is what the game is supposed to be like. No bullshit picking your missions, no random missions that feel as though they serve no purpose. Just story, one mission after the other, with tons of action. Protecting your base from CONSTANT Zerg attack? That's what playing against Zerg should feel like.

Geeklet

*small spoiler alert*

I haven't gotten that far in yet, but the final missions you are talking about are anything like the last of Zeratul's missions, which basically said you WILL get wiped out, just do this before you do, then I cannot wait.

Hemingway

Zeratul's missions were ... eh. The last one was just a bore.

Edit: Well, that's that, beat the last mission. I'll be starting the campaign over, I think. I have to admit, I liked the ending. Final three or four missions were the sex. I'm curious to know what the other campaigns will be like, though. Given what happens ( and doesn't happen ) in the Terran campaign.

Remiel

Quote from: Hemingway
I figured out what's missing. Or one of the things, anyway. A small thing that would, in my opinion, have improved the campaign greatly: where's Raynor? He's missing from about 95% of the missions, even though it's implied he's on the ground with his soldiers. Heck, late in the game ( more on that later! ), there's a cutscene clearly showing him fighting, yet he's absent from the mission. WHY? It makes no sense. And to have Raynor or some other hero leading the attack would've added so much!

Well, there is the mission where Tychus Findlay infiltrates the Dominion base and commandeers the Odin weapon...

QuoteSpeaking of late in the game, I started the final missions and ... this is what the game is supposed to be like. No bullshit picking your missions, no random missions that feel as though they serve no purpose. Just story, one mission after the other, with tons of action. Protecting your base from CONSTANT Zerg attack? That's what playing against Zerg should feel like.

See, I actually liked those elements.   I liked how each mission showcased a particular unit, and how that unit's strengths would help you complete the mission.  I mean, let's face it -- would we ever seriously use Hellions or Vultures otherwise? 

Similarly, I did like the "choose your mission" option in the first half of the game -- I felt like a Mission Impossible-type  mercenary-for-hire, alternating between plundering artifacts, rescuing colonists, and doing raids on Dominion bases.    I'm not sure if it was possible to advance the campaign without doing them all, but I'm a sucker for thoroughness, so that's what I did.  I enjoyed the color that Gabriel Tosh and Dr. Hanson brought to the plot, and loved the alternate endings to their story arcs. 

And the upgrades -- oh, sweet mercy, the upgrades.  I think my favorite one was being able to call down a supply depot instantly from orbit.  Generating two SCVs at once was pretty nice too.   The mercenary companies weren't really that useful, but I liked having them as an option.

I agree, though, that Zeratul's missions weren't all that engaging.  It was a nice teaser of the Protoss units, but ultimately there wasn't anything special there.  Also, I felt that they could have done more, plotwise, with the Hybrids other than turning them into the Big Bad Evil. 

Overall, though, I'm still exceedingly pleased.  I really miss having medics in multiplayer (who says you can't make a Marine rush work for you!), but the Vikings and Thors are badass. 

Hemingway

Quote from: Remiel on August 04, 2010, 01:26:01 PM
Well, there is the mission where Tychus Findlay infiltrates the Dominion base and commandeers the Odin weapon...

Heroes are present in, what, three or four missions? In the first game they were in, if not most, at least many of the Terran missions, and others. I just think it would've made the game better. For one thing, it'd make the story, and in particular those missions that didn't contribute to it, that ended up feeling more like multiplayer matches with story, feel like part of the story. And also, Raynor showing up in the cutscene following a mission he didn't take part in make more sense.

QuoteSee, I actually liked those elements.   I liked how each mission showcased a particular unit, and how that unit's strengths would help you complete the mission.  I mean, let's face it -- would we ever seriously use Hellions or Vultures otherwise?

Hellions? No. Because they sucked, mainly. Thing is, it ended up feeling like it was all a really elaborate tutorial, building up to the final missions. There's about half a dozen units I never used outside of the missions in which you were essentially forced to use them. And that, I think, made completing the mission in your own way difficult. At least more so than it would've been.

QuoteSimilarly, I did like the "choose your mission" option in the first half of the game -- I felt like a Mission Impossible-type  mercenary-for-hire, alternating between plundering artifacts, rescuing colonists, and doing raids on Dominion bases.    I'm not sure if it was possible to advance the campaign without doing them all, but I'm a sucker for thoroughness, so that's what I did.  I enjoyed the color that Gabriel Tosh and Dr. Hanson brought to the plot, and loved the alternate endings to their story arcs.

Problem with that is the story was all over the place. For a game titled "Wings of Liberty", there wasn't a whole lot of fighting for liberty. Four missions or so were just the same, collecting artifacts, with no other story to go with them. Rescuing the colonists, while interesting in its own way, didn't advance the story in any way, either. I liked Tosh's mission, but that actually contributed to the story, by setting free political prisoners and all. Also, Spectres rock.

But, yeah, if you compare it to the structure of the first game, there's a lot less actual story, and that bothers the shit out of me. The missions that actually followed a linear story - the first and final three, roughly - were many times better than the others. I hope they drop that in future campaigns, but I somehow think not.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, no doubt about it. What bothers me the most is all the wasted potential.

WhiteyChan

Just finished the campaign, thought it was awesome.

I truly and utterly suck at versus, though. Every single tactic I have for every other RTS has been blown completely out of the water xD So far my record is 4 games, 4 losses against Easy AI :-(

Hemingway

Easy? But easy is like ... really easy. How did you beat the campaign ...? xD

I mean, no offense. I suck at strategy games, when it's competetive. I prefer playing at my own pace. But still - it's not that different? Just have to get the economy going strong, and make sure you're always building.