News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

California Measles Outbreak + Anti-Vaccination

Started by TheGlyphstone, February 04, 2015, 07:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

I just don't get this, really.

For the international E-ers, a measles outbreak hit California last month - specifically, an un-vaccinated woman who contracted measles, then visited Disneyland, creating an infection vector that's up to over 100 cases.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/02/02/more-than-100-cases-measles-now-confirmed-in-us/
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/02/health/cdc-january-measles-report-disney/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles

A significant child-killer before they developed a vaccine in 1963, and officially 'eradicated' from the US in 2000. But now, if Slate.com is to be believed, there are third-world countries with higher vaccination rates than us- not measles specifically, but in general.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/02/03/if_it_happened_there_how_would_we_cover_anti_vaxxers_if_they_were_in_another.html

And it's not just a left or right phenomenon, either - a lot of GOP/right-wing figures decry vaccination, but Jenny McCarthy is one of the biggest names in the anti-vaccine movement and she's apparently fairly liberal. I don't expect to find many, if any, anti-vaxxers here on E, seeing as how we are smart people. But how can anyone be this clueless/ignorant/selfish,considering the historical record of disease cases before and after their respective vaccines were developed?

https://www.behance.net/gallery/2878481/Vaccine-Infographic

Dimir

As someone who has high-functioning autism, I've never believed that that vaccines are the cause of my disability, nor the cause or many other medical conditions. The study suggesting that was debunked and proven to be false.

Is the anti-vaccine camp suggesting that the Polio Vaccine should never have been developed for example? I have no issue getting my yearly flu shot and yes there will be instances of side effects which are medically impossible to 100% prevent, but these aren't destroying humanity.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Zakharra

I'm all for vaccines and vaccinations. Some diseases should be eradicated. I think those who are against vaccinations should have to listen to a tape or watch a film of a child suffering from whooping cough, read the statistics of how many people used to die because of measles and those diseases, then be asked again if they believe not having vaccinations  is a good thing, or if they think their children would be better off in a disease rich environment.

Inkidu

It can all be blamed on Jenny McCarthy and Oprah Winfrey. McCarthy wrote a book about her belief that the specific vaccine that treats three childhood diseases gave her child Autism, and because Oprah generally has incredible (nigh on megalomaniacal) sway with large demographics of the world. McCarthy's book got a lot more traction than it probably ever should have.

Let's face it, it's a book written by Jenny McCarthy, a woman with no credentials in the field and I'm sure it's lacking in research as well.   

EDIT: That being said, I knew a kid in high school who was on the Autism spectrum and he had been highly vaccinated as an infant, however, it should be noted he was not just getting the standard suite of childhood vaccinations, he was getting the whole suite of travel prophylactics, every time his family moved to a new country, which because of his father's job, was a lot all over the world.

It has some credence because he was an identical twin, but looked drastically different from his brother (he was short and squat and his brother was much taller and not nearly as squat). That being said again, he received well over what any child would ever receive, and vaccines that a child would probably never receive. You shoot anyone up with enough of anything and bad thing are going to happen.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Dimir on February 04, 2015, 08:29:21 PM
As someone who has high-functioning autism, I've never believed that that vaccines are the cause of my disability, nor the cause or many other medical conditions. The study suggesting that was debunked and proven to be false.

Same! Im right with you buddy.

Quote from: Inkidu on February 04, 2015, 09:08:57 PM
It can all be blamed on Jenny McCarthy and Oprah Winfrey. McCarthy wrote a book about her belief that the specific vaccine that treats three childhood diseases gave her child Autism, and because Oprah generally has incredible (nigh on megalomaniacal) sway with large demographics of the world. McCarthy's book got a lot more traction than it probably ever should have.

Let's face it, it's a book written by Jenny McCarthy, a woman with no credentials in the field and I'm sure it's lacking in research as well.   

Isnt that the lady who also says her kid is an "Indigo Child" (supposedly some new step in evolution) or some such bullshit?...or am I thinking of another woman who totes the same message as her?

I first heard it from this clip with this man (Samuel 'Kage' Conway, a chemist, comedian and more)

at around the 10:40 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQUSSNx2s2c

Beguile's Mistress

I can sympathize with parents who are frightened - rationally or irrationally - about having their children vaccinated.  However, if you choose not to vaccinate your children you are obligated to keep an eye on them and not only keep them away from others when they are contagious but also keep them away from sick people as well.  You are risking their well-being by exposing them to disease without protection.  I think it is careless and criminal to let sick children come in contact with vulnerable people.

Callie Del Noire

It's all fun and games till someone famous loses their kid to measles. Isn't one of the hazards to measles death by swelling of your brain?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on February 05, 2015, 10:12:43 AM
Yes - that's how Roald Dahl's daughter died.

http://www.people.com/article/roald-dahl-vaccine-measles-letter-daughter-olivia-death

At the time, there wasn't a reliable measles vaccine.

Yeah.. I'm thinking if somoen dies during this outbreak there will be a metaphorical skid mark in the political thruways as all the polical hacks we call elected officals do a bootlegger 180 to get behind 'protect the herd' instead of being 'pro-'informed' choice.'

I don't disagree that you have a choice to (or not) the right thing.. but you risk more than yourself.. so I figure it's safe to say.. you don't immunize your kids, you can home school them. But then I'm an utter tool who thinks that you shouldn't blindly buy the BS that Jenna McCarthy and Andrew Wakefield sown.

Dimir

la dame en noir

Oh god, its getting too close to Michigan >.> I need to get my shot immediately. I'm not sure if I'm still immune.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Dimir

New story out of here in Southern Ontario, Canada. A three-year old heart transplant recipient can't have the measles vaccine since he's on immune suppressing drugs, and a measles infection could kill them. So congrats anti-vaccine crowd founders, you've indirectly put this little boy's life at risk.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/measles-infections-worry-mom-of-vulnerable-3-year-old-1.2946697

Beguile's Mistress

According to a news report there are 4 million children too young to be immunized and it is estimated that 9 out of 10 them may contract measles.                                                                   

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 05, 2015, 09:11:19 PM
According to a news report there are 4 million children too young to be immunized and it is estimated that 9 out of 10 them may contract measles.                                                                 

It's stuff like that that makes me want to have a 'conversation' with folks like Andrew Wakefield. Preferably with a 4 pound sledge. My nephew is 10 months away from being old enough to have the shot and his mom is terrified right now.

Caela

Quote from: la dame en noir on February 05, 2015, 03:27:19 PM
Oh god, its getting too close to Michigan >.> I need to get my shot immediately. I'm not sure if I'm still immune.

Actually, it's already been in Michigan. A man in Oakland County was diagnosed and has since recovered. The last article I saw on it said it was inconclusive if there was any link to the whole Disney outbreak and I've not heard anything about any further cases, so am hopeful it was contained to just him. As a parent living in MI I a very glad my child is vaccinated and need to go have my own titre checked to see if I need a booster myself.

Caela

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 06, 2015, 12:02:55 AM
It's stuff like that that makes me want to have a 'conversation' with folks like Andrew Wakefield. Preferably with a 4 pound sledge. My nephew is 10 months away from being old enough to have the shot and his mom is terrified right now.

I know this feeling! I have a niece and nephew that are both too young to have their MMR yet and, maddeningly, the niece's mother actually refuses to vaccinate ANY of her three children. The nephew will, thankfully, have his once he's old enough...now I just have to pray that none of D's kids catch anything before C's can get their shots because if that woman endangers any other children in my family I will shred her mercilessly!

Valthazar

I agree with everyone else in this thread - obviously vaccination is important for such things.

But I know some people who take vaccinations to the max.  I have some friends who go in every flu season to get their "flu vaccine" even though they are not at high risk or within a high risk population.  Very unnecessary in my opinion.

Caela

I and my daughter do get our flu shots every year, BUT I work in a hospital so I come into contact with high risk populations even though I myself am not a part of one. I also am a bit militant about the importance of vaccines but that's because I have babies in my family as well as a dear friend and a grandmother who are immune compromised due to cancer treatments and another friend who is, literally, deathly allergic and can't be vaccinated so the importance of it is just too large a reality in my world.

Hemingway

People who for various reasons can't be vaccinated are the reason ( or at least a reason ) why those of us who can, should. I believe that's what's referred to as herd immunity - minimizing the chances of someone becoming infected, by minimizing the number of people who can transmit a disease.

I mean, if the only issue were people refusing to get vaccines and getting sick as a result of their own choice, it wouldn't really matter. Unfortunately, they're not just making a choice about their own health, but about the health of their children, and of others.

Deamonbane

I had measles when I was a tyke... it's a childhood disease, and each one of my brothers and sisters caught it before we were old enough to get the Vaccination. And... they're all alive. And... so am I, obviously. I wonder what changed.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Kythia

Yeah, I was in a car crash a few years ago and I'm still alive. Why the fuck are we trying to prevent car crashes?

Caela

Quote from: Deamonbane on February 06, 2015, 01:37:14 PM
I had measles when I was a tyke... it's a childhood disease, and each one of my brothers and sisters caught it before we were old enough to get the Vaccination. And... they're all alive. And... so am I, obviously. I wonder what changed.

Nothing changed, your family was lucky. Measles doesn't kill in large percentages (though it's ridiculously contagious) but in very small ones. Most people do survive it. We vaccinate against be because, unlike something like a cold, not ALL people survive it. A small percentage will develop measles pneumonia which can kill them, another small percentage will develop encephalitis (swelling in the brain) which can not only kill, but leave patients mentally or physically (usually deaf or blind in this case) disabled as well. There is also NO viral therapy for the measles, no stop gap. Once a person has it, all you can do is treat the symptoms, try to keep them comfortable, and hope that none of the nastier complications that can occur do. As with most diseases the most likely to end up dead are the very young, the elderly, or those who are already sick and have their immunity compromised in some fashion.

People have this idea that just because something is a "childhood" disease, it's not dangerous...that's not the case.

Deamonbane

That wasn't what I meant, Kythia, although reading back on my post I realize it was what could have been implied. I was just wondering if the mortality rate has risen since then, and looking over Google, I saw that it has in fact decreased, thanks to worldwide vaccination drives.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Ebb

Quote from: Kythia on February 06, 2015, 01:39:45 PM
Yeah, I was in a car crash a few years ago and I'm still alive. Why the fuck are we trying to prevent car crashes?

This one's for you, Kythia:

http://robertmoorejr.tumblr.com/post/110101466091/im-an-anti-braker

Kythia