Kingmaker: New Cyre (Eberron; Pathfinder; Recruiting until September 19th)

Started by Dakkon, September 06, 2014, 07:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 10, 2014, 03:32:00 AM
I'd go shaman personally... I've had one person submit a druid to me via PM, so there may be less competition that way.

Hmm. Druid and witch kinda makes the Shaman redundant. Sokay, like I said, I have spares!

Will have one up soon  ;D it takes longer to actually put the things together than it does to think them up.

Edit: especially when firefox crashes before I can save my mythweavers sheet  :P

Chulanowa

Tymolin Loneglade
Race: Halfling
Class: Sorcerer

Tymolin came into her power in a surprising way; through her own death. It was the last days of the last War, and the whole of Cyre was becoming a battlefield. Tym's parents, chefs and butlers in service to lady Elspetha ir'Illoiun were fleeing south to Breland with their liege, only to be intercepted by a company pf Thrane soldiers eager for plunder and intelligence. In the resulting scuffle, Tymolin took a crossbow bolt in the chest. All went black after that. only later would Tymolin learn that her father too had perished, along with two brothers.
   In the deathlike darkness, Tymolin saw herself alone in a great cave while a thundering voice spoke to her. She could make no sense of the words, only that they were words. After what seemed an eternity, she managed to glean a single word out of the lot - Fire. She clung to that word like a rope, climbing it, absorbing it, becoming it...
   Indeed, she awoke in flames; panicked nurses threw water about the tent and helped get the other injured people to safety. Tymolin had held on to life by a thread, only to awaken with a gout of flames. Luckily no others were injured, but things had... changed.
   For the last two years, the remaining Loneglades have lived with a halfling caravan that is somewhat between "civilized" halflings and the traditions of the Talenta plains, within eastern Breland. With them is Lady ir'Illoiun, aged, infirm, and penniless, but still a friend. It is on her behalf that Tymolin has answered the prince's call to restore Cyre.

Personality
   Tymolin is easy to get along with; she's open, curious, and almost painfully optimistic. With so many scarred from the war and the Mourning, she certainly stands out as odd, but it's her own way of coping. She's more than a little impulsive and kin of reckless, prone to poking her nose where it doesn't. Three things really drive her; love of her family, affection for Lady ir'Illouin (the dowager is something of a grandmother to Tymolin, after ll) and a desire to know the origins of her own powers. She's clever andcunning, but perhaps not as clever or cunning as she thinks she is. Like many young halflings, she can talk her way into trouble as readily as talk her way out of it.

Sexuality
   Tym has done little beyond flirting and kissing. it's less that she's reserved or old-fashioned, and more that she's still young and has had a lot of other things going on. Her natural curiosity is bound to take her to new places as certainly in this regard as in terms of adventure. She's quite aware of the attention she gets, even from the larger peoples of the world, and isn't unfamiliar with using those soft of charms to get her way.

Description
   Even for a halfling, Tymolin is of slight build and frame; she looks like she'd labor to move if her clothes got wet. Large green eyes dominate a sweet face framed by unruly waves of sun-faded brown hair. She favors clothing that is loose and colorful, cut so that it seems to always be in motion. Patterns of pale brown line herh ands and arms, and more cna sometimes be seen when her legs or chest are exposed, complex designs quite distinct from any dragonmark or common tattoo.

Stat block
Tymolin Loneglade
Female Halfling Sorcerer (Tattooed Sorcerer archetype)
CG Small humanoid (halfling)
Init +3; Senses Perception +12

Defense

AC 15, touch 14, flat-footed 12 (+3 dex, +1 armor)
hp 11 (1d6+5)
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +4
Defensive Abilities Fearless, Halfling Luck
Fearless
   Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear. This bonus stacks with the bonus granted by halfling luck.
Halfling Luck
Halflings receive a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.

Offense

Speed 30 ft.
Melee Quarterstaff -2 (1d6-3/1d6-3, x2)
Ranged Heavy crossbow +4 (1d6, 19-20/x2)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1st; concentration +5)
   3/day - Dancing Lights
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 1st; concentration +5)
   1st (4/day) - burning hands, grease
   0 (at will) - detect magic, message, prestidigitation, ray of frost
   Bloodline draconic (gold)

Statistics

Str 5, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
Base Atk +0; CMB -4; CMD 9
Feats (1) Varisian Tattoo (evocation), (1) Toughness. (1) Alertness
Skills Bluff +8, Perception +12, Spellcraft +5, Use magic device +9
Languages Common, halfling, Gnome
SQ Fleet of foot, keen senses, bloodline, familiar tattoo (owl), Varisian Tattoo, bloodline tattoos
Traits Dragonmarked Retainer, Dangerously Curious
Other gear Pony (Bit and bridle, saddle, saddlebags), Spell component pouch, silken ceremonial armor, heavy cossbow + bolts, sorcerer's kit (most in saddlebgs)

Dakkon

Okay, I was going to say that it looks like the druid person may switch class... but that works too! One quick thing that I caught... you mention Dragonmarked Retainer as your campaign trait, but you don't mention which Dragonmarked House Tymolin is working for.

Interdiction of words

One question, how many characters are like mine and otherwise could be like mine?
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

Chulanowa

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 10, 2014, 10:19:32 PM
Okay, I was going to say that it looks like the druid person may switch class... but that works too! One quick thing that I caught... you mention Dragonmarked Retainer as your campaign trait, but you don't mention which Dragonmarked House Tymolin is working for.

Ah! I guess that got lost somewhere in the multiple iterations of her background. Her family is  branch off of House Ghallanda.

Latooni Subota

ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Green Goo Theory

Wait, I can finally play the Renegade Mastermaker that I've always been denied...?  Really?!   If I did a human Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker which version of an Artificer would be using?  WotC or the third party PF version? 
Coming soon...

Dakkon

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on September 11, 2014, 11:04:58 PM
Wait, I can finally play the Renegade Mastermaker that I've always been denied...?  Really?!   If I did a human Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker which version of an Artificer would be using?  WotC or the third party PF version?
Alchemist is likely your best bet. I'm not using the 3rd party, and I'm still not satisfied with various adaptations of the 3.5 Artificer to Pathfinder.

EndofDivine

Agira ir'Marca
Human Warlord

Things might have been different for Agira if she was born in another time or another place but fate decreed that she belonged directly in the middle of the Last War, one of five children born on the lands long ago bequeathed to her family on the edge of Cyre's border with Thrane. Her father's holdings had dwindled in the years before her birth, entire towns and villages lost to the ravages of war, and attrition had taken its toll on both her father's resources and his people's resolve. As much as Agira's father would have loved to see his only daughter grow into a proper lady, circumstances dictated otherwise; her father had far more need of a soldier and a leader he could trust than he did of a pretty girl in a dress. So that was exactly what Agira became.

Agira pursued the art of war alongside her four brothers, the perfect environment for molding the young girl into a warrior capable of holding her own. While other girls her age might have given up in the face of such harsh treatment, Agira welcomed every scar and every bruise because she had seen with her own eyes the horrors of war that are often overlooked. Images of starving children and families left destitute became far too common of an occurrence in her homeland and it filled the young woman with a sense of duty rare in people her age - as well as something else. Agira hated the unfairness of it all and, perhaps even more, she hated those responsible: the nations that banded together and preyed on Cyre and her people like vultures. Fueled by those emotions and more, Agira grew in both age and skill until the time came for her to join her brothers in defending the land that was rightfully theirs.

But try as they might, the war had simply taken too much from the land and its people over the generations; they lacked the manpower, the resources, and the will to mount a proper defense. Things went from bad to worse when news of the first of Agira's brother's deaths reached the ears of her father. The second and third report followed only months later, sending her father into a spiral of grief that finally broke the man. The war had taken enough from him, his children, and his people and he was almost too happy to sign over his holdings to Thrane for any semblance of peace it could bring him. Bending a knee to some Thrane bastard didn't sit well Agira though and she even came to despise the reserved and cowardly man her father had become. While her father may have given up, Cyre still struggled and fought elsewhere, and Agira felt compelled to fight to the bitter end. Leaving with what few men were still eager enough and loyal enough to follow her into battle turned out to be both the smartest and dumbest decision she had ever made.

She was in Karrnath when it happened; she remembers that much. She remembers the fires that stretched into the heavens and the tremors that followed. She remembers asking herself "Why?" and she remembers the utter silence that followed. The two years after that had been a blur, Agira's mind becoming occupied with feelings and thoughts that lingered on her loss, the injustice of the world, and her burning need for vengeance. Somewhere in between bouts of hating herself and hating the world, she found herself in New Cyre - perhaps the only place in Eberron where she could hope to feel normal again.

The old Agira reemerged when plans to create a proper New Cyre were put into motion, the woman backing the endeavor with a passion few had seen from her since her arrival in New Cyre. Agira had far too many grievances left unsettled to let Cyre die a quiet death and to her, the Day of Mourning stunk too much of betrayal, cowardice, and foul magics for her to let such an event be the punctuation on Cyre's final chapter. But while thoughts of old glory and revenge filled Agira's mind, her fellow nobles came to a disturbing conclusion: they saw ambition in the young warrior's eyes and in her actions.

Agira knew the royal bloodline ran through her family in some form or another but never thought anything of it due to the sheer distance between the ruling family and her own. Those that cared about such things, however, came to realize just how short the line to the throne of Cyre had become in the wake of Cyre's destruction. With a few deaths and a strong following, they knew Agira could make a legitimate run at ruling Cyre if she desired and several other nobles came to see the charismatic and determined young warrior as a threat or a potential obstacle that would need to be removed sooner or later. The first and least involved step of the plan to deal with Agira was to give her exactly what she wanted - a place in the expedition - in the hopes that the dangers of the Greenbelt would do their dirty work for them. If that didn't work then there's always other more underhanded ways of dealing with her or discrediting her name.

Personality
Agira has the spirit of a fighter, refusing to give up in even the bleakest scenarios and preferring direct approaches to her problems rather than dancing around the issue. At this point in her life though, she's living more to honor her ancestors and to give peace to her father and brothers than she is living for herself. Agira half expected to be dead by now anyway, especially after three of her four brothers - men she always thought were invincible - died in the Last War. As a result of that outlook on life, Agira hasn't planned for the future or even really put much thought into it, always favoring the here and now over what is to come.

So...Path of War is pretty awesome. Was able to make a one-handed sort of noble duelist character that actually feels pretty bad ass. I'll probably add more fluff later and I still need to do the boring stuff like buying gear. And I might make some changes to my maneuvers depending on the party but that's something I can worry about later if it happens.

Bibliophilia

Fallen, would you have a problem with me waiting to fill out my chosen spells until after I know the composition of the party?  Assuming I get chosen, of course.  I just think it would be better to not take something like Cure Light Wounds if we end up with a dedicated healer.  If you'd rather I go ahead and pick, I'll do so.

MrBubbles

How does the DM feel about half-giants?

I mean, ultimately my interest in the race lay with the Powerful Build racial, but there are certain other advantages to being a naturally massive race... (Irony is that the character backstory I have in mind for such a character has him despising his giant heritage.)

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 12, 2014, 04:27:42 AM
Alchemist is likely your best bet. I'm not using the 3rd party, and I'm still not satisfied with various adaptations of the 3.5 Artificer to Pathfinder.

As much as I like the classI do not think it fits thematically.  It seems to be the go-to class suggestion for so many things I want to play in pf.  Then again I do not think it is as big a deal converting classes or races to make them fit.
Coming soon...

Dakkon

Quote from: Bibliophilia on September 12, 2014, 05:42:41 PM
Fallen, would you have a problem with me waiting to fill out my chosen spells until after I know the composition of the party?  Assuming I get chosen, of course.  I just think it would be better to not take something like Cure Light Wounds if we end up with a dedicated healer.  If you'd rather I go ahead and pick, I'll do so.
Not at all!

Quote from: MrBubbles on September 12, 2014, 08:41:51 PM
How does the DM feel about half-giants?

I mean, ultimately my interest in the race lay with the Powerful Build racial, but there are certain other advantages to being a naturally massive race... (Irony is that the character backstory I have in mind for such a character has him despising his giant heritage.)
I don't mind half-giants as a race... But they occupy a very specific and very non-canon role in my Eberron that basically locks them out of being a PC race for the time being. Sorry.

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on September 12, 2014, 10:40:16 PM
As much as I like the classI do not think it fits thematically.  It seems to be the go-to class suggestion for so many things I want to play in pf.  Then again I do not think it is as big a deal converting classes or races to make them fit.
Normally conversion would be pretty simple, but I don't have a plethora of free time right now, and if I'm going to go to work on the Artificer again, I'd like time to go over it carefully from scratch. Sorry.

Chulanowa

If you're trying to approximate the Artificer with existing pathfinder classes, you're right, Alchemist is a really poor choice - it has some of the same themes of mixing science and magic, but doesn't actually resemble the artificer beyond that point - bombs and mutagens are way outside anything the artificer has, and the alchemist's lack of a caster level means no item creation feats.

There are two good choices to fit the bill of an artificer knockoff in Pathfinder.

Probably the closest in look and feel, is an Archaeologist bard. it has a ton of skill points, it has armor and weapons, it has a caster level, disable device and trapfinding, all that stuff. it's a little awkward, especially since the lack of bonus feats means you'll have to pile those item creation feats onto your build using your odd-level feat gains. But it can definitely carry the idea better than an alchemist.

Option two is an Arcanist - it lacks the skills (but being int-based, you'll have a fair amount anyway), but has spell power, and its exploits give it a wide assortment of abilities to choose from; including at least one free item creation feat (frankly I think that exploit should be able to be taken more than once, but, eh.)

There's also the Technomancer prestige class... Which combines well with either of htese options, but not until level 7 for Arcanists and level 8 for bards (3rd-level arcane spells being a prereq)

There's also the option of beggign hte DM to let SLA's count for item creation feats, and making a gnome fighter with the pragmatic activator trait and Lore Warden archetype...but that's just silly  ;D

Dakkon

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 13, 2014, 04:38:05 AM
There are two good choices to fit the bill of an artificer knockoff in Pathfinder.

Probably the closest in look and feel, is an Archaeologist bard. it has a ton of skill points, it has armor and weapons, it has a caster level, disable device and trapfinding, all that stuff. it's a little awkward, especially since the lack of bonus feats means you'll have to pile those item creation feats onto your build using your odd-level feat gains. But it can definitely carry the idea better than an alchemist.

Option two is an Arcanist - it lacks the skills (but being int-based, you'll have a fair amount anyway), but has spell power, and its exploits give it a wide assortment of abilities to choose from; including at least one free item creation feat (frankly I think that exploit should be able to be taken more than once, but, eh.)

Both of those are also very good ideas! The Technomancer would be a no go, however, since all of Eberron's tech is basically magic based, and that's supposed to be a major theme. I feel that introducing the technological items would disrupt that thread.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, Eberron magic item economy is 'cheap magic items' all around. They are so common that even shop owner may have minor trinket like floating disk amulet which works 3/day for a hour for just loading or unloading cargo carts and such.

Here is conversion of pathfinder which is more and less updated artificer from 3.5 edition made to fit onto pathfinder (skills and such and favored class bonuses and infusions which include core pathfinder spells); https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/artificer

Reason why I suggest above as it functions like old 3.5 artificer and artificers are internal part of Eberron setting, same as dragonmarks are. So players should have ability somehow play one (it's up to GM decide which version we use; if 3th party version not allowed then would above 'homebrew' grandfathered into the game).

Dakkon

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 13, 2014, 05:57:31 AM
Yeah, Eberron magic item economy is 'cheap magic items' all around. They are so common that even shop owner may have minor trinket like floating disk amulet which works 3/day for a hour for just loading or unloading cargo carts and such.

Debatable. I don't see magic as being quite that common... but that's also semantics at this point.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 13, 2014, 05:57:31 AM
Here is conversion of pathfinder which is more and less updated artificer from 3.5 edition made to fit onto pathfinder (skills and such and favored class bonuses and infusions which include core pathfinder spells); https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/classes/artificer

Reason why I suggest above as it functions like old 3.5 artificer and artificers are internal part of Eberron setting, same as dragonmarks are. So players should have ability somehow play one (it's up to GM decide which version we use; if 3th party version not allowed then would above 'homebrew' grandfathered into the game).
Yeah, I familiar with that one. I hadn't suggested it before since something about it feels off to me, but then again, I suppose it would be reasonable to allow. I do think, however, that there are reasonable alternative that already exist within Pathfinder to capture the spirit of the Artificer, if not the exact mechanics.

Zaer Darkwail

You can make crafter with pathfinder yes, but artificer is a artificer. Also using the converted variant which I linked would allow directly pick and use infusion based items and goods for artificer which player may want to do.

Also hands down artificer is king in magic item crafting compared to any options presented in pathfinder. Some may specialize to be good at one craft better than artificer but the artificer are universal tinkers. Alchemist is better at alchemy stuff than artificer but artificer is better doing several crafting projects (or grander projects asking several crafting expertise) than anyone else.

What I checked quickly the artificer which I linked it looked okay to me and nothing seemed off about it. Only that it has not the 'slow casting' what usually goes for infusions (as maker probably assumed GM would not use action points economy from Eberron).

Dakkon

If you wish to continue to discuss this, then please direct it to me a PM. Given that Tonberryshuffle is the one who wishes to use the artificer, and I've okay'd the previously linked conversion, I don't see that there is much to be gained by continuing this line of discussion in the recruitment thread.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 13, 2014, 08:07:25 AM
If you wish to continue to discuss this, then please direct it to me a PM. Given that Tonberryshuffle is the one who wishes to use the artificer, and I've okay'd the previously linked conversion, I don't see that there is much to be gained by continuing this line of discussion in the recruitment thread.

Ah, okay. Will keep it mind then that I send PM's about my thoughts on the classes and how they fit for pathfinder Eberron setting. But I have no further own opinions to tell about the artificer. Just glad that we got some solution for player who wanted play artificer in Pathfinder :).

MrBubbles

Quote from: FallenDabus on September 13, 2014, 12:36:08 AM
I don't mind half-giants as a race... But they occupy a very specific and very non-canon role in my Eberron that basically locks them out of being a PC race for the time being. Sorry.

In that case, any way I could nab Powerful Build for a Human?

Green Goo Theory

I'm assuming since that version of the Artificer is approved would I also need to go that route for the Renegade Mastermaker?  It was changed a little and mechanically withdrew itself from Warforged a little and is more generic construct now. 

For that matter that homebrew version seems to have removed half the class.
Coming soon...

Dakkon

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on September 13, 2014, 09:44:35 PM
I'm assuming since that version of the Artificer is approved would I also need to go that route for the Renegade Mastermaker?  It was changed a little and mechanically withdrew itself from Warforged a little and is more generic construct now. 

For that matter that homebrew version seems to have removed half the class.
Yeah, that one you and I would be personally adapting as we get closer to the time coming for PrCs.

Dakkon

Quote from: MrBubbles on September 13, 2014, 12:54:47 PM
In that case, any way I could nab Powerful Build for a Human?
Woah, sorry, didn't mean to snub you! I'll allow powerful build in place of the human bonus feat.

Also, given that a bunch of people expressed interest, but we haven't seen too many character sheet's I'm opting to extend the deadline one day.  ;D

Latooni Subota

I plan to have my concept and sheet done tonight, or by wednesday, due to work and junk.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.