Seeking Heroic Exalted-ness!

Started by Soulsemmer, March 11, 2006, 06:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Quote from: GoldenChild on March 21, 2006, 09:39:58 AM
What are our restrictions as players, can we play Lunars for example?

If you don't mind the generally poor execution of the Lunar Charm trees, and understand that rabidly hating civilization (like some Lunars do, though certainly not all) isn't really heroic in the sense that we're looking for, I don't see a problem here.

I'd say Solars, Lunars, DBs (for some reason I'm considering one...), and God-Blooded are probably fine.  I personally don't think Abyssals, Alchemicals, or Sidereals would fit in here (if we can't handle robots, the grand manipulators of fate probably aren't heroic enough to be our PCs), but Soulsemmer and/or Muse may disagree with me there -- my word, sadly, is not law.

I can help people who are devoid of books or just inexperienced (either by providing the books or helping with creation).

Soulsemmer

Jefepato pretty much hit the nail on the head. At least as far as I'm concerned.
"Come on now, who do you... who do you, who do you, who do you think you are? Ha ha ha! Bless your soul. You really think you're in control."

GoldenChild

Alright then... sounds to me that Lunars are to much effort to bring into the story (and since I don't have to much knowledge of them either) I will do a Solar.

So question... with what do I start, what is the first thing I need to do? I want to do a warrior (I imagine they are "easiest" to do).

Jefepato

There are plenty of Lunar concepts that could work, but Solars are probably a little easier (and less complex for your first character).

Quote from: GoldenChild on March 21, 2006, 02:28:52 PM
So question... with what do I start, what is the first thing I need to do? I want to do a warrior (I imagine they are "easiest" to do).

First things first: you want to play a warrior.  (It's not necessarily that much easier, but it'll work fine, and asskicking is an integral part of the game after all.)  Congratulations, your character is Dawn Caste.

You'll probably want to pick a slightly more detailed concept (you might not know a lot about the setting, but you can probably still get a basic idea down) and decide on things like fighting style first -- that'll make it a little more clear where the dots need to go.  So, what's your pleasure?  Kung-fu master?  Wandering mercenary with a huge-ass sword?  Drunken boxer?  Ex-soldier who's a peerless archer?  Farmer who wields a mean pitchfork?

GoldenChild

Kung-Fu master... no question about it :)

He will be a farmer's son that after his... awakening? has got his teaching from a mentor of some kind of same caste as he.

Jefepato

Okay.  The mentor thing can be hammered out later, when you assign Background dots.

In the meantime, looks like Martial Arts will be our asskicking method of the hour.  The really fun part here is picking a style.  Personally I like Tiger (its main selling points are boosting your soak and doing damage), but there are plenty of decent ones.  Are you looking for something offensive, defensive, straightforward, or perhaps tricky?

Also: it's a pretty safe bet you'll want Physical Attributes as primary, but would you likely prefer Mental or Social as secondary?  Any particular areas outside of combat you'd like to be competent in?

Ajoxer

I'm willing to play an Eclipse with some assassination flavoring. I do so love the eclipse, simply for being slliiiick!

Also, ah well on not play Alchemical. >_> I'd like to at least see them, though... They so coo'.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

GoldenChild

Quote from: Jefepato on March 21, 2006, 03:20:42 PM
Okay.  The mentor thing can be hammered out later, when you assign Background dots.

In the meantime, looks like Martial Arts will be our asskicking method of the hour.  The really fun part here is picking a style.  Personally I like Tiger (its main selling points are boosting your soak and doing damage), but there are plenty of decent ones.  Are you looking for something offensive, defensive, straightforward, or perhaps tricky?

Also: it's a pretty safe bet you'll want Physical Attributes as primary, but would you likely prefer Mental or Social as secondary?  Any particular areas outside of combat you'd like to be competent in?

Physical primary then social and last mental, the character I have in mind is a typical Chinese or Japanese "farmer general", which fights against the tyranny to free “his” people (which if I have understood the Exalted theme correctly is what Solars do). This will let him have skill in leadership, persuasion and… well I have to think what else.
As I know not getting hit is the best way for your survival a defensive from would be preferable, can you learn other styles later on as you are progressing?
vv

Jefepato

As a group, Solars don't do any one particular thing except "be awesome," but your concept seems appropriate since we're trying to set up a heroic game.

You can learn other styles later, but it would take a while since you almost certainly won't start with all the Charms from your first one.  (The catch is that if you use a weapon, it would be hard to use multiple styles unless they have the same form weapon.  If you fight unarmed, you can use Charms from whatever styles you like.)

You'll probably end up needing Dodge Charms in addition to the martial arts stuff, but if you want a more defensive style, Snake may be a good bet -- the Form Charm gives enemies a penalty to hit you.  (Fire Dragon could also work, but I can't think of any reasonable way for a Solar ex-farmer to have learned a style that normally gets taught only in Immaculate monasteries.)

GoldenChild

Alright sounds good... I have no objections :)

Well then sounds like I got a concept...

Soulsemmer

"Come on now, who do you... who do you, who do you, who do you think you are? Ha ha ha! Bless your soul. You really think you're in control."

Jefepato

Although I've been indecisive, I do believe I'll be playing a Twilight (probably female).  I have a few ideas about the specifics of concept, but I'd like to get Muse's feedback on creation guidelines before I go too far with it.

GoldenChild

What do the Twilights do? Thieves/assassins?

Jefepato

Quote from: GoldenChild on March 22, 2006, 03:09:18 AM
What do the Twilights do? Thieves/assassins?

Nope, that's Night.  Twilight Caste are scholars, craftsmen, and sorcerers.  Especially sorcerers, because knowing things and building things is all well and good, but nothing impresses quite like dropping a Magma Kraken on the field or smacking someone with Rune of Singular Hate.

(Sadly, it's impossible to start with the latter in character creation...)

Dreamshard

Hmmm, I have a concept bouncing around in my head. So I guess I'll just put it out here.

This character was inspired by the phrase 'dumb people have dumb luck'.

Probably a Zenith. Basically, the character has always been rather unintelligent from young and slow on the uptake. But he/she (haven't decided yet) is a very kind and earnest person, and always tries to do what he/she feels is right and hopes for the best. More often than not, things tend to turn out well.

That's a basic concept. Low Int, Good Luck as a merit are the basic stats. Very raw idea, but I would rather not develop it unless it's approved. I can always do a different heroic concept.

And Magma Kraken is cool. Nothing solves problems like that nifty little spell. A one-stop solution to everything. *grin*

And the stereotype is:
Dawn - Warrior
Zenith - Priest
Twilight - Scholar/Sorcerer
Night - Thief/Assassin
Eclipse - Diplomat
The wind hears all your secrets and whispers them unbidden

ONs and OFFs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4435.0

Dreamshard requested indefinite account restriction in August of 2006. She's still out, about and well as of 2009

Muse

Quote from: Jefepato on March 19, 2006, 05:51:45 PM
Yes, exactly that.

I was actually thinking of playing a Twilight, but in the "I love sorcery" (though not Threefold Binding) sense, not in the "I'm going to start with Melee 5 and Steel Devil Style, but I want the Twilight anima power" sense.

I personaly am partial to the Zenith Anima power. 

Damn, I want someone to run a game I can play Shining Bright in.  But that's not what I'm here for, hi everyone, I'm the volunteer Storyteller. 

Let's see.  What's more intresting to you'se guys and gals?  (Glad to have you Dreamshard!)  I need to check the true location of Harborhead on my maps, but I'm kind of intrestinted in working with the House of the Bull God material (Harborhead), Mask of Winters, Mah Ha Suchi, and the ever lucious and dispicable Raski, Queen of Fangs.  Any requests or coments? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

GoldenChild

Ke? I know he said something interesting, don't really know what it means ;)... more then Muse is our ST *waves*

Help to an unknowing guy... other then that; I do believe that the proposal sounds just fine.

Soulsemmer

I could work with that. I know little about Harborhead, as I never read Houses of the Bull God. Only what would be in Scavenger Sons.

Since it appears we have a Dawn, Eclipse, and Twilight... I'm leaning slightly towards Lunar. Another Zenith isn't what I'm in the mood for, and Night Castes I'm leery of. They make me feel dirty.

Muse

::chuckles::  Welcome aboard, Golden Child.  Shinging bright is a charecter from Harborhead I really want to play, I think she's a particularly combatitive Zenith, but might just be a dawn.  She might also show up as an NPC.  

Harborhead is a Southern nation whose bull god Alat has a royal gaurd of a thousand virgin warrior maids known as his brides.  

MAsk of winters leads an army of the dead to conquer the West.  And Ma Ha Suchi is an ancient Lunar exalt determined to crush the Realm and conquer the world.  Raski is similar, an ancient sorceress with carnal passions of all sorts.  
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Night Castes don't have to be Compassion 1 assassins.  Unfortunately, people seem to like that concept, and then the poor God-Blood gets used as bait.

Er, anyway.  Maybe we don't need a Night.  Most people find them a lot less fun when they're played heroically.

Quote from: Muse on March 22, 2006, 07:24:19 AM
I personaly am partial to the Zenith Anima power.  

I don't really see why.

I mean, it's cool.  It's thematically appropriate.

But the caste-hopping melee-monkeys are nearly always Twilight, and it's easy to see why.  The Twilight anima is damned awesome.

Quote from: Muse on March 22, 2006, 07:24:19 AM
Let's see.  What's more intresting to you'se guys and gals?  (Glad to have you Dreamshard!)  I need to check the true location of Harborhead on my maps, but I'm kind of intrestinted in working with the House of the Bull God material (Harborhead), Mask of Winters, Mah Ha Suchi, and the ever lucious and dispicable Raski, Queen of Fangs.  Any requests or coments?  

I can't remember a thing about Houses of the Bull God, except that Ahlat is awesome.  I need to take another look.

Ma-Ha-Suchi and Raksi always make great adversaries, since they're ridiculously evil.  The problem is, they're also at the "crush puny PCs like grape" level of power.

Any thoughts on character creation, Muse?

Soulsemmer

Well, ever since Caste Book: Ninja, they've gotten worse in all my experiences. I suppose I could try my hand at one again... I always like my big bruiser thug Night Caste with a heart of gold. He was fun.

But then I can't use Jefepato as bait  :-\

I'm so torn!

GoldenChild

Thanks for the explainations :) sounds like we are going to have us a treat... hmmm a thousand virgins... please say that they are female  ;D

Muse

Of course they're female.  Unfortunatly they're forbiden sexual congress with anyone but Ahlat and each other until their retirement at age 27. 

Soulsemmer

Well, yes. They are the "Brides" of Ahlat.

But don't touch them. If THEY don't kick your ass, Big Daddy A will.

Jefepato

Quote from: Soulsemmer on March 22, 2006, 07:44:28 AM
But then I can't use Jefepato as bait  :-\

Remember, I'm not playing the weakling of the group any more.  No baiting!

(Not that Sky was actually weak.  She could probably have gone toe-to-toe with half the Solars in the group, and not just because Principle of Motion is ridiculous.  People just didn't twink out like I'm used to seeing.)