SOPA/PIPA officially on ice. Let's hope that's where they stay >:

Started by Sabby, January 20, 2012, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentScreams

While SOPA/PIPA was defeated the march towards internet censorship, and censorship in general, has already begun again. Yesterday the Washington Times had an article based on a "report" basically saying that the internet can radicalize an American Muslim in "as little as two years." That's interesting....sounds like a very scientific study. Oh, the study was attached to an arm of Homeland Security. They want to muzzle us and appealing to our ideas of fairness didn't work (the piracy angle) so now they are going back to the tried and true method of "saving" us from "terrorism."

Jórunnr

In my opinion, I believe that SOPA and PIPA were meant to distract the large force of the internet from NDAA. Pretty much now, if they believe you are a terrorist (which they never clarify what they can consider as suspicious activity) they can detain you for an indefinite amount of time.

SilentScreams

Unless you live in Virginia. The Virginia house passed a state law forbidding detention of Americans by the federal government within the territorial limits of Virginia.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SilentScreams on March 04, 2012, 06:37:15 PM
Unless you live in Virginia. The Virginia house passed a state law forbidding detention of Americans by the federal government within the territorial limits of Virginia.

I don't see the Feds letting that fly. Be interesting to see how it goes. Maybe the writers set it up to push the law straight into the Supreme Court.

Oniya

Quote from: SilentScreams on March 04, 2012, 06:37:15 PM

I've heard they aren't the only state/city/municipality doing so.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jórunnr

SilentScreams

It will be interesting to watch what happens. They law might be designed specifically to get NDAA before the Supreme Court. Virginia is not the only state doing it, they were just the first and, to my knowledge, still the only state to have gotten passed it.

Jórunnr

Oniya

States that have introduced legislation specifically targeted at NDAA:

Maryland - HJ0012 - Introduced Feb 10
West Virginia - HB4627 - Introduced Feb 20
Missouri - SB819 - Introduce Feb 22  (fixed typo)
Tennessee - HB2619 and SB2669 - Introduced Jan 17
Oklahoma - HCR 1025 - Introduced Feb 6
Washington - HB2759 - Introduced Jan 31
Utah - SCR11 - Introduced Feb 22
Arizona - SB1182 - Introduced Feb 13 - Passed Senate Feb 16
Arizona - SCR1011 - Introduced Feb 13 - Passed Senate Feb 16

Virginia was the first state to pass it with HB1160, Introduced Jan 16 -  Passed House Feb 14, passed Senate Feb 28

Districts that have passed resolutions at present are:

Fairfax, CA
Fremont County, CO
Weld County, CO
El Paso County, CO
Town of Macomb, NY
Northampton, MA
New Shoreham, RI
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jórunnr

TheGlyphstone

Any idea who introduced the various bills? I'd be curious to see how strongly the Democrats are holding the party line on this.

Oniya

I suppose that one could go to the various state .gov  sites and look them up.  I found these compiled on a site about tenth-amendment issues.

SilentScreams

Maryland - HJ0012 - Michael A. McDermott (R) dist. 38B - Michael D. Smigiel (R)(Tea Party Caucus) dist. 36

West Virginia - HB4627 - Carol Miller (R)- Kelli Sobonya (R) - Rick Snuffer (R) - Kinda Sumner (R) - Brian Savilla (R) - Larry Kump (R)

Missouri - SB891 - This Missouri Bill (without reading it so maybe the NDAA section is a rider) seems to be about Telecommunications and the Dept. of Transportation

Tennessee - HB2619 and SB2669 - Bill Dunn (R) - Sen. Stacey Campfield (R)

Oklahoma - HCR 1025 - Charles Key (R)

Washington - HB2759 - Jason Overstreet (R) - Matt Shea (R) - Vincent Buys (R) - Cary Condotta (R) -
David Taylor (R)- Jim McCune (R)

Utah - SCR11 - Todd Weiler (R) - Daniel McCay (R)

Arizona - SB1182 - Sylvia Allen (R)

Arizona - SCR1011 - Sylvia Allen (R)

Virginia - HB1160 - Robert G. Marshall (R)

Oniya

Sorry - typo on the Missouri bill.  It was 819.  (going to fix it in the original post)

TheGlyphstone

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 04, 2012, 09:18:48 PM
Well, that answers that question.

Seems like they are drinking the koolaide just fine.. though it's strange since it pretty much goes against everything they (supposedly) stand for.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 04, 2012, 10:04:34 PM
Seems like they are drinking the koolaide just fine.. though it's strange since it pretty much goes against everything they (supposedly) stand for.

Principles < Party solidarity. Particularly in an election year, it'd be political suicide for any Democrat to break ranks with the President even for something this deviant to their ideals.

Callie Del Noire

Amazing how RIAA forgot him huh? Yet they are all about THEIR copyrights and royalties. This is another example of the 'creative accounting' that the record companies are INFAMOUS for.

The gentleman behind the golden record is Lester Chambers, of the Chamber Brothers. And he's only one of HUNDREDS of recording artists who RIAA's backers have bilked, lied and stolen from.

Chris Brady

Sadly, Callie, for some of us this is old news.  In fact, quite a few bands nowadays are going solo, and self-publishing, saving their own asses from this sort of treatment.  Hell, the book publishing industry isn't any different either.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 06, 2012, 02:37:33 PM
Sadly, Callie, for some of us this is old news.  In fact, quite a few bands nowadays are going solo, and self-publishing, saving their own asses from this sort of treatment.  Hell, the book publishing industry isn't any different either.

I know.. but it still galls me that those shills can scream about THEIR money when they do everything they can to screw their OWN talent.

Chris Brady

I hear ya man, I wish I could do something and shove stories like this into their faces.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 06, 2012, 10:41:09 PM
I hear ya man, I wish I could do something and shove stories like this into their faces.

I know that they (the record companies) have let at LEAST 2 bluesmen die rather than pay medical insurance.

Serephino

They keep saying the poor artists deserve their royalties.  Maybe they should put their money where their mouth is.

Callie Del Noire

Yeah.. well they've been lying to the artists and government for years over this. Why change now?

Oniya

I wonder if it would be feasible for music download sites to funnel money directly to the artists.  I imagine that a price that would cover the supposed royalties (that the publishing companies aren't paying) would be far less than the price that publishing companies claim they need to charge (even though no physical media changes hands).