Justice League: Founding [Recruitment]

Started by Totoro, October 14, 2017, 11:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backdraft

As far as I know, the only person stronger than Superman is Supergirl, and that's only because she spent like fifteen years floating right next to the sun in a solar-radiation-absorbing space pod.

I think—I don't know for sure—that Kori's strength is entirely dependent on her emotional state. I don't know that it has an upper limit.

Totoro

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 24, 2017, 09:07:05 PM
I do have a question. Have you guys come to a consensus on how strong / fast Kory is in this game? I know that there's never been a specific measuring of her powers in terms of actual metrics (EG, "Can lift 100 tons") but it's always been my impression that she's in the low Class-100's. In her comic run, she said that she was "Nearly as strong as Superman," but that might just be exaggeration. >.>

In any case, if you guys have come up with a metric for how strong Kory is, it would help me with my quantification on how strong Mari is. :D

In general I'm leaving pretty much all numbers as a question mark, for the most part. That way I can use a bigger variety of villains and have them challenge different heroes without it being a number waving contest. That and generally in comics the feats characters are capable of tend to vary with the needs of the story they're involved in.

So I would call characters like Supes, Shazam, Manhunter etc. in this game 'As strong as is necessary/appropriate'. But those types are of course at all times far ahead of people like Killer Croc or Deathstroke.

Don't think we've ever really quantified how strong Starfire is. Less strong than the really big 'brawlers' but I'm comfortable with her only being a little less strong rather than massively less strong.

Would need a discussion with Mia about where she wants her character to be, though.

Quote from: Backdraft on November 24, 2017, 09:10:06 PM
As far as I know, the only person stronger than Superman is Supergirl, and that's only because she spent like fifteen years floating right next to the sun in a solar-radiation-absorbing space pod.

I think—I don't know for sure—that Kori's strength is entirely dependent on her emotional state. I don't know that it has an upper limit.

Canonically in this world there are a few beings on the level of Superman but none 'above'. As far as I see it people like J'onn, Shazam, Captain Atom, Wonder Woman and Aquaman along with a few others are physical contenders on that level and a brawl could go either which way.

When it comes to non-heroes there are certainly things out there stronger than any single hero. For example if any of the JL were to armwrestle Darkseid or Doomsday, in this universe, it would go poorly. This encourages teamwork being the answer rather than 'Throw the biggest one of us at them and smack them a lot'.

In any case I don't think putting a metric on the strength of any PC is very important but having a vague idea of whether they're 'low 100 tons' or near-Superman is relevant but not up to me with other people's PC's.

Totoro

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 24, 2017, 09:18:38 PM
Oh, I didn't say STRONGER. Hang on...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I don't recall it saying anywhere that her power is based on her emotional state, but even if it is, figuring out a Base would be helpful. I recall that Pre-New 52 it took Donna Troy AND Mon-el to hold back an angry Starfire, and she's taken shots from Superman and Wonder Woman before and come back for more. I also seem to remember that she flew, like, a lightyear or so and came back in a day. Not sure if that's canon anymore, though.

She also ripped off Brainiac 8's arm at one point.

Honestly, I just need to know if she's low, mid or high Class-100 so I can put Mari a step or two below that. :P

I can PM Mia and ask her where she sees Starfire's strength. I'm comfortable with Starfire being any of those since you could make a case for any of them.

Backdraft

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 24, 2017, 09:18:38 PM

I don't recall it saying anywhere that her power is based on her emotional state, but even if it is, figuring out a Base would be helpful. I recall that Pre-New 52 it took Donna Troy AND Mon-el to hold back an angry Starfire, and she's taken shots from Superman and Wonder Woman before and come back for more. I also seem to remember that she flew, like, a lightyear or so and came back in a day. Not sure if that's canon anymore, though.

I know you didn't say "stronger." I thought about putting a disclaimer in my last comment, but opted not to. My bad. You did say "close," though, and Superman gives us a fair metric for strength, since his is basically "however strong he needs to be." If I remember right, he once held together something like six galaxies that were rapidly expanding in his hands, or something. Anybody "close" to that would have an incredible amount of power. Supergirl being slightly stronger gives us an even more solid metric, since it means that even Superman's supposed "unlimited" strength must have some sort of limit if even DC is declaring somebody else as stronger.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about Starfire, so some of this might be wrong, but the way that I understand it is thus: Tamarans (or at least Starfire and Blackfire) draw their powers from their emotions. Starbolts are fed by "righteous fury," strength from "boundless confidence," flight from "unbridled joy," and such. If I remember right, it was one of the sisters that was having real trouble learning how to fly specifically because she didn't have a happy enough memory or something.

Again, I don't know for sure, and I'd just as soon ask Mia, but that's the way I understand it, at least.

Backdraft

I think it depends on which version of the character we're looking at. Even Mia's CS says her powers are based on her emotions.

For example, in the Teen Titans show, they based her entire power set on her emotions.

Deathnote

Hmm... kinda tempted to play as Wally West, if that’s allowed... >_>

Life in Color

*snoot boop*

Who're you still looking for?

:3

Backdraft

Quote from: Life in Color on November 25, 2017, 12:00:01 AM
*snoot boop*

Who're you still looking for?

:3

As far as the list of Founding Members goes, we're ideally looking for (in no particular order:)

• Green Arrow
  • Green Lantern
  • Firestorm
  • Blue Beetle
  • Hawkgirl

Life in Color

TheVillain

While I'm not a GM, Considering our Zatanna is a Zatan they'll probably be cool with it.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Backdraft

We've got a gender-bent Zatanna right now, so gender-bending's totally good. At least, that's the situation as I understand it.

Life in Color

Quote from: TheVillain on November 25, 2017, 12:08:26 AM
While I'm not a GM, Considering our Zatanna is a Zatan they'll probably be cool with it.

Sign me up.

Quote from: Backdraft on November 25, 2017, 12:09:30 AM
We've got a gender-bent Zatanna right now, so gender-bending's totally good. At least, that's the situation as I understand it.

Sweet. I'll see what's rollin' around the ol' noodle.

TheVillain

No clue. I do know a lot of GMs consider time travel to be just a headache though so a back-up isn't a bad idea.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Re Z L

Quote from: Life in Color on November 25, 2017, 12:10:08 AM
Sign me up.

Sweet. I'll see what's rollin' around the ol' noodle.

It's not a Green Arrow-ette is it?

;D
A&A

Life in Color

Backdraft

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Life in Color

I'm trying to decide which Green Arrow origin story I wanna use.

#reallifestruggles

Totoro

Okay so things exploded when I slept, going to try and answer everything I can in a bit of a wall of text.

Quote from: Deathnote on November 24, 2017, 10:57:12 PM
Hmm... kinda tempted to play as Wally West, if that’s allowed... >_>

Wally West's doable I don't have any issues with him at all. He'd probably have to be younger than Barry who's already fairly young, and so pretty 'new'. That or he's from an AU, being a Flash that's pretty easy to have.

Quote from: Life in Color on November 25, 2017, 12:07:31 AM
Mmmmm.

Thoughts on gender-bending?

Gender-bending's no problem and on your later messages, female Green Arrow's all good by me.

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on November 25, 2017, 12:47:30 AM
-might sneak in a character-

Who're you thinking?

SithLordOfSnark

I honestly don't know yet. I was hoping to watch the RP for a bit to see if my style meshes with everyone else and whether or not I can keep up, since I have a few projects atm.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

TheBlackThrone

My comment to the Superman comparisons. Superman always holds back so...as you saw with Injustice, when he's serious and let's loose, he can end the world and no one seems to be able to stop him. Whether because he's empowered by "plot energy" or not, it kind of shows how big of a problem he would be if he ever went insane/evil. They couldn't even afford to kill him because they felt they would need him again. Even if they did kill him, they would plot to bring him back to life just to handle a nemesis greater than what the current JL can handle. Why? Because the writers just can't imagine the DCU moving on without him. It's always an alternate Earth story but never just outright, we moved on without him. He's too much the poster boy for DCU and will continue to be until all of us are long dead. The world would have to end to prevent it, and even still, people would remember Superman in a post-apocalyptic environment lol.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Godsend

Totoro

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on November 25, 2017, 05:49:43 AM
I honestly don't know yet. I was hoping to watch the RP for a bit to see if my style meshes with everyone else and whether or not I can keep up, since I have a few projects atm.

That's fine, feel free to read along.

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on November 25, 2017, 06:45:05 AM
My comment to the Superman comparisons. Superman always holds back so...as you saw with Injustice, when he's serious and let's loose, he can end the world and no one seems to be able to stop him. Whether because he's empowered by "plot energy" or not, it kind of shows how big of a problem he would be if he ever went insane/evil. They couldn't even afford to kill him because they felt they would need him again. Even if they did kill him, they would plot to bring him back to life just to handle a nemesis greater than what the current JL can handle. Why? Because the writers just can't imagine the DCU moving on without him. It's always an alternate Earth story but never just outright, we moved on without him. He's too much the poster boy for DCU and will continue to be until all of us are long dead. The world would have to end to prevent it, and even still, people would remember Superman in a post-apocalyptic environment lol.

I would mostly agree there's only a small handful of people who can get in his way even in this universe. I'd say in Injustice he was pretty 'plot energy'd' up. And when it comes to villains you have to be talking about Kryptonian-tier things, New Gods or monsters like Doomsday before it's ever a fair fight with him.

Prosak

I'll put myself forward as interested lol.  I'd love to play as AquaMan as one of the founding members.  (as traditionally he was.)

As for the superman conversation I think the best way to put it is that he is only as strong as he needs to be.  It is always in the writers hands,  different writers treating things different to fit the kind of story they want to tell.  One moment he is fighting Kryptonite man for the better part of an hour.  The next Lex pulls out Kryptonite and cripples him instantly.  Superman is subjected to the same flimsy canon as any other comic book character because the simple fact that these characters get passed around to different writers to use in their stories like the office stress ball.  Of coarse there are certain people left in charge of certain characters,  other writers needing to request permission to use a character already in a different writers run.  But point stands lol.  It's all the writers decision on how strong he is treated as being.  Hence,  he is only ever as strong as he needs to be.

Totoro

Quote from: Prosak on November 25, 2017, 07:43:55 PM
I'll put myself forward as interested lol.  I'd love to play as AquaMan as one of the founding members.  (as traditionally he was.)

As for the superman conversation I think the best way to put it is that he is only as strong as he needs to be.  It is always in the writers hands,  different writers treating things different to fit the kind of story they want to tell.  One moment he is fighting Kryptonite man for the better part of an hour.  The next Lex pulls out Kryptonite and cripples him instantly.  Superman is subjected to the same flimsy canon as any other comic book character because the simple fact that these characters get passed around to different writers to use in their stories like the office stress ball.  Of coarse there are certain people left in charge of certain characters,  other writers needing to request permission to use a character already in a different writers run.  But point stands lol.  It's all the writers decision on how strong he is treated as being.  Hence,  he is only ever as strong as he needs to be.

Aquaman's taken as a GM NPC and pretty heavily involved in the plot of a current IC mission. There's a good chance it'll end on terms that'll mean he'll never join the JL in this universe. His personality and past are also pretty laid-out. Apologies on that. Mostly agree on the 'writers decision' strength comments though, I've always felt many comic book characters power levels are totally based on the moment.

Thinking out loud but having said that about Aquaman he could be reworked slightly. The current GM NPC could be the Atlantean king and renamed from Arthur Curry. Arthur Curry would be an outcast Atlantean who didn't accept the current king's hardline views on humanity. If that's something you'd be interested in PM me and we can discuss it.

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 25, 2017, 07:48:24 PM
Hrm. OK, Nightstar is out.

Sun, how do you feel about PC's taking on the role of an Angel or Demon? And no, don't worry, I'm not about to ask to play Lucifer, as rad as that would be :P :P

Uncomfortable with either, realistically. I don't feel it would fit the game.

Totoro

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on November 25, 2017, 08:07:53 PM
Why not? I mean...Zauriel - an Angel - has been part of the Justice League before. He took Mortal Form, admittedly, so he could be killed, but it isn't unheard of for an Angel to come down to Earth and join the Justice League.

I don't feel Angelic or Demonic characters fit with this version of the Justice League. Raven possibly being the one exception to that rule.