Battle for the Dawnlight, An Epic Quest (Fantasy, MUL) ** Join the fight!

Started by desert ashes, November 20, 2009, 09:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desert ashes

Have you heard the call... ?

For when the darkness has consumed us,
forced a surrender of the light's love,
our Earth will slumber sheltered by the sacrifice.
Only when the stars are in a single harmony,
when the trees rustle their leaves once more in song,
will the Dawnlight's time of sacrifice be at an end
and the Dawnlight will call forth its most powerful army
using the five voices of those that come forward,
the five soldiers that heed the call.
The five guided by the one who'll hear her,
the one whose voice will ring out among the races.
The freedom of the essence of the Dawnlight
is also the freedom of Earth. 

For a thousand years now the Twilight has held Earth in its harsh, brutal grasp after it captured the essence of the Dawnlight during the Eclipse Wars.  Only in the deepest forests of magic has natural life been able to sustain itself beyond a withered state, for without the power of the Dawnlight evil in all its forms has known  no boundaries.  Only the Elven race has recollection of life before the Twilight, the others sustaining themselves on myths and legends, of tales handed down generation by generation.  Only the words of a long told prophecy have kept those faithful to the Dawnlight hopeful that a new day would dawn...

A prophecy few thought would come to pass until now. 

Times for Earth are not stirring well.  The High King's daughter and heir has gone missing, thought to be captured by the dark ruler of the Twilight to take use of her Elven immortality by forcing her to submit her heart.  Civil war is threatening to break out between the races of the Dawnlight, unable to sustain themselves any further against the darkness.  Until one morning an old wizard races to the High King with a message and hope begins to sprout. 

The Dawnlight has been heard. 

The setting (environment, physical location descriptions, weather, and fantasy element) is akin to that of Middle Earth (LotR).  The premise is that five individuals have been destined to find the essence of the Dawnlight, letting it restore freedom and life to Earth.  Only those five who've heard the call can answer it, and it is all five that must stand together to find and free the Dawnlight.  Of course, the Twilight does not want them to succeed and will be going against them at any cost. 

Can the Dawnlight be freed before the destined five meet their demise? 

Races

Dawnlight      
Centaur         
Dryad            
Dwarf            
Elf 1         
Human            
Lycanthropes 2      
Merfolk 3

Twilight
Dark Dwarf
Dark Elf 1
Gargoyle
Goblin
Lycanthropes 2
Orc
Satyr   

1We're not talking three foot elf, just for clarification.         
2They play both sides, each family or individual making their choice; can be werewolf or werecat.
3Not available for player characters.

Classes/Occupations
Bard
Farmer
Hunter
Noble
Other 4
Paladin
Peasant
Priest/Priestess
Prophet 5
Ranger
Warrior/Guard
Wizard

4Must be specific.
5Unavailable.

If you'd be interested in playing a bad guy, please PM me for private discussion. 

Q & A and Notes

Continually updated!

Q: So, is this just for five people?
A: Nope!  While only five will be the "chosen ones," this is open to as many people that want to come play. 

Q: Are you using a system for this game/epic saga?
A: No.  I had thought about it, but none of the systems I'm familiar enough with to GM are a good fit with the idea. 

Q: Will deities be provided, or is this abstract within the context of story.
A: Yes and no.  I will be providing more information on the "religious structure" of the Dawnlight and the Twlight, but not to the degree of providing mountains of text.  While some details will be provided, it'll more so stay in the background (remaining more or less abstract) but is there to be utilized if desired.

Q: How freely can we treat combat, I am not expecting the 5 to lay siege to a city by themselves, but strength wise how strong would they be?
A: That entirely depends from character to character; I expect a certain level of realism, but this is also fantasy.  I adore well rounded characters; everyone, though, has that something they stand out in and some are truly blessed/highly talented/gifted/epic.  It also depends on what happens when the characters work together and what each of them brings to the table, so to speak.  I hope that all makes enough sense.  XD

- The chosen five haven't yet been chosen, they won't be until all characters have been assembled.

- Character profiles will need to be approved via PM before being able to be submitted for the story.  This is so I have an idea of what's coming into the story before anyone else does and so I can bug you with questions privately before hand.  Plus, this gives you a chance to ask questions or bounce off ideas that we could possibly incorporate.  Please do not post character profiles without the character being approved.  If you do then you obviously have not read this part and that does not give off any good vibrations. 

- I will not be accepting any profiles that include anime images.  Sorry to those who like using cartoon images, but they won't be accepted here.  However, considering this is a fantasy themed story, drawings that strictly portray your character are accepted.  For example... This would not be accepted, but this, this, or this would be. 

Character Profile Outline

Send via PM to Moirae. 

Name:
Player:
Race:
Class:
Learned Skills (ie: cooking, singing, swords, archery, riding, dancing, scribing, medicine, etc.):
Magical Skill and Proficiency*(prophecy/divination, healing, charms, wizardry, etc):
Brief Background:
Physical Description and/or Image:

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Player[/b]:
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Class[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Title [/b][i](if applicable)[/i]:
[b]Learned Skills[/b] [i](ie: cooking, singing, swords, archery, riding, dancing, scribing, medicine, etc.)[/i]:
[b]Magical Skill and Proficiency[/b]*[i](prophecy/divination, healing, charms, wizardry, etc)[/i]:
[b]Brief Background[/b]:
[b]Physical Description and/or Image[/b]:

*May be subject to approval depending on class.  Quasi-Limited to the following classes: Bard*, Noble*, Paladin, Priest/Priestess, Prophet, and Wizard.

Okay, so we are so no longer "just an interest" check!   

If you're browsing this after we've started and are interested in joining, please feel free to send Moirae a quick note in regard of jumping on in.  ;)

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Rachubka

Elven Sex Goddess

Aiden

Are you using a system for this game/epic saga?

I am kinda interested in playing a zealous paladin.

desert ashes

All questions posted will be answered in the Q&A up above.  =)

And yay!  Three people!  A good start.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Rachubka

Ohthankgod. I'm not really good with system games anyway! Only because I never really messed around with one. Haha. :O

Elven Sex Goddess

I was thinking on a Dawnlight  Elven priestess. 

Will deities be provided, or is this abstract within the context of story. 

Aiden

How freely can we treat combat, I am not expecting the 5 to lay siege to a city by themselves, but strength wise how strong would they be?

(This moment brought to you by my inner Fist of Raziel, who is can smite evil, cause it to chain and knock them prone as he cleaves through their ranks[DnD thing])

desert ashes

Mm.  If those interested want to start with character profiles while we see if a little more interest is drummed up, I'm quite okay with that.  :-)

I will be posting the loose concept of the religion (in general terms it explains the presence of the Dawnlight Goddess and her Aurora Court, the Twilight God and his court, as of yet unnamed), about the current ruling family, and a map of Earth.   Some of my creative thoughts are getting stilted from work, so it's coming out slowly. ><
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Elven Sex Goddess

Name:  Seulanti Riverwind
Player:  Elven Sex Goddess
Race:  Elven
Class:  Priestess
Title :  Acolyte

Learned Skills:  Knowledge (DawnLight lore), religious (rituals),  Herbalism, Riding (horse),  Dance,  Sword dancer (A unarmored elven skill of swordmanship)

Magical Skill and Proficiency:  Healing magic,  Call of the elements magic,  Dawnlight blessings.

Brief Background:  Long has Seulanti Riverwind felt the call.  For within her, this devoted young elven priestess.   Young by elven standards, carries a spark of the dawnlight.    For the time has come for the rebirth of dawnlight upon the whole of the world, lifting it out of the grip of twilight that has gripped it for the past thousand years.

Through with in the order but a acolyte,  has indeed felt the call of prophecy that has spanned across the ages.  From that very moment that swept the world into the era of twilight, of evil that has reigned over the land.   Able to call upon the power of dawnlight to heal.   To command the elements and give blessings to those around her.  Along with her racial heritage of learned skill of sword dancer.   Makes Seulanti a most likely choice in this epic quest.

Physical Description and/or Image:  A  slender petite beauty that stands five foot tall and weighs ninety six pounds.  This elven beauty with her rich dark brown hair and golden eyes, that seem to glimmer in the dark as if lit with the dawnlight itself.

Pumpkin Seeds

Crovonovin

I'd like to express my own interest in this story, but I'd like to request something of an unorthodox role.  I think it would be fascinating to play as a member of one of the "Twilight" races, but not as a strictly villainous individual.  This hypothetical character would not be one of the devout, anti-Dawnlight cretins that no doubt make up the vast majority of the Twilights, but one conflicted by the concept of utterly wiping out the Dawnlight races and their habitats for good.  He would not consider his own people as a whole to be evil, and neither would he think the "opposite" races are good; just that both sides should be preserved.  If that means working (grudgingly) against his own people in order to bring about some sort of balance, than so be it. 

In fact, I think it would be especially conflicting for him if he was one of the chosen ones to receive the call in the first place.  No doubt the others would hardly be willing to accept him with open arms, but may be willing to do so if it means keeping him away from those who would use his knowledge to beat them to the goal. 

Before I make up any sort of character sheet, I just wanted to propose this idea of mine.  Accept or reject it as you will!

Esoteric Myobi

You have most definitely caught my interest! ;D

It seems like there are a few interesting ideas going on here already =)

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

DoctorWhy

Definitely interested! Here's a preliminary character idea:

Name: Maxwell Kraden
Player: DoctorWhy
Race: Human
Class: Monk/Cleric (If permissible)
Title (if applicable): None
Learned Skills: Cooking is his strong suit, but he has a strong knowledge of poison and antidotes as well. He has received much religious education (Can be used as an info dump if the GM should be so inclined) and is highly skilled in hand-to-hand combat, as well as staff fighting.
Magical Skill and Proficiency: He shows only no appearance of magic save for his healing abilities, which only in part stem from magic, but mostly from knowledge of botany. Through his meditation, he has harnessed great inner strength and willpower, accomplishing seemingly superhuman feats when the situation is dire enough. Still, he relies most of all on skill and speed.
Brief Background: He is characterized by a great kindness, positive outlook, and love of the world. He is intelligent, having become a monk at such a young age, but also carries some of the innocence and naiveté of his youth, though he has seen a great many horrors  while he learned healing. He love cooking in particular, and can whip up a meal on the sparest of ingredients.
He has a natural sense of empathy, which alerted him to the coming calamity. He knew then that he would somehow be needed. Chosen one or not, he would do his very best in whatever was asked of him.
Physical Description: He is small, for one thing, but sprightly. He has fair blond hair but startling violet eyes, that contrast greatly against the very plain brown robes of his "uniform". He has a roundish face and seems to be permanently stuck in his youth.
"Wisdom is the conqueror of fortune."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Here's is my semi-finalized, public character profile."

"As a precursor, I might note that Satyrs are traditionally all male, and very lustful/sexual beings (nymphomania is a female only term, the male equivalent being satyriasis). So, while the former may not be true, this character assumes the latter is at least a little bit so..."

Name: Vesryn
Player: Ryuka Tana
Race: Satyr/Dryad
Class: Ranger (Druid)
Title : None

Learned Skills:(Primary) Blades, Hunting; (Secondary) Archery, Riding, Medicine; (Not Learned) Illiterate
Magical Skill and Proficiency: (Secondary) Nature magic (minor animal charms, minor plant control; inherited from his dryad mother)

(Kind of) Brief Background: If you asked Vesryn about his background, he'd say it doesn't matter, he has no parents, he has no given name (except one he derived after learning to speak), and he has no community.
  He doesn't know how old he is and only vaguely understands what his race means (he knows he is a satyr/dryad, but the doesn't understand the division of the Twilights and Dawnlights).
  He has spent most of his life alone, surviving, teaching himself, and observing the Twilight and Dawnlight races (occasionally getting involved with them).
  Vesryn has very little interest in heroics, and if left to his own devices, would continue to be an observer of the humanoid races (especially the heroes) and an antihero (and occasional vigilante). However, if called, Vesryn would likely deny his calling for a time, before realizing that he might be able to put an end to the conflict that drives the many races.

Physical Description and/or Image: Vesryn is very handsome, though his appearance is generally considered androgynous. He has smaller horns than most Satyrs, and green hair (inherited from his dryad mother), as well as some other small dryad traits. He has collected a few souvenirs from his time among the other races (not counting his equipment), notably a few piercings and tattoos.
  Vesryn has little interest in armor, having learned to fight and move without it, and the upside to this, is that he is very good at dodging and parrying. Unfortunately, attacks that do strike him do much more damage. Vesryn has a 'belt' on his arm, to act as an extra sheathe for his smaller blades. He has a dagger (though it is not seen), a very decorative shortsword on his right hip, and a plain, almost rusty looking khopesh on his left hip. Across the small of his back, sheathed horizontally with his belt, is a longsword.
  He wears a hooded cloak, with a ruffled neckline (which he can use as a face mask), which is draped over his quiver (though the arrows protrude from under it). His bow is usually slung over his other shoulder, over the cloak (or else it would be inaccessible). Other than that, he wears no armor or shirt, just a pair of pains and boots.

(As for the image below, this is a good depiction of him, though his horns should be a bit shorter, he might look a bit jaundiced (yellow) with a greenish tint, because of his dryad heritage, and the fire has no impact on his character as of this point.)

(Image credit: Tsumekuro, DeviantArt)

"Obviously, this is subject to future editting."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

desert ashes

Quote from: DoctorWhy on November 23, 2009, 11:47:38 PM
Definitely interested! Here's a preliminary character idea:

As stated in the big mountain of text way up above, please send all profiles via PM first to be approved before posting them. 

Thanks. ;)
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

desert ashes

Quote from: Shihong on November 23, 2009, 05:35:41 PM
I'd like to express my own interest in this story, but I'd like to request something of an unorthodox role.  I think it would be fascinating to play as a member of one of the "Twilight" races, but not as a strictly villainous individual.  This hypothetical character would not be one of the devout, anti-Dawnlight cretins that no doubt make up the vast majority of the Twilights, but one conflicted by the concept of utterly wiping out the Dawnlight races and their habitats for good.  He would not consider his own people as a whole to be evil, and neither would he think the "opposite" races are good; just that both sides should be preserved.  If that means working (grudgingly) against his own people in order to bring about some sort of balance, than so be it. 

In fact, I think it would be especially conflicting for him if he was one of the chosen ones to receive the call in the first place.  No doubt the others would hardly be willing to accept him with open arms, but may be willing to do so if it means keeping him away from those who would use his knowledge to beat them to the goal. 

Before I make up any sort of character sheet, I just wanted to propose this idea of mine.  Accept or reject it as you will!

Shooting a PM your way. ;)

We're looking at nine right now for players (::Cheers!::) which is more than enough to get us kick started.  So, feel free to send character profiles in (please remember to read all of the initial post first) and I'll be posting up (most of) the additional information later on Wednesday*.  =) 

*Ssh.  Today ended up being one of those days.  You know... that kind.

make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

desert ashes

A'righty, folks!  For those that were waiting on some of the religion background, you can find it in the new information thread (link below).  OK'd profiles can also be posted over on our new profile and ooc thread.

Over the next few days I'll be posting up different locations that can be referred to or used, though at least half of this saga will be done traveling.  If anyone has any ideas for certain areas please feel free to send those ideas via PM! 

As a note... Yes, we are in the NC Human section.  I used NC since who really knows what's going to happen?  I'd rather play it safe than sorry in terms of post organization. ;) 

Information Thread :: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=53811.0
OOC/Profiles Thread :: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=53808.0
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Question Mark