Is This For Real?! (RE: Stop Online Piracy Act)

Started by ReijiTabibito, December 19, 2011, 03:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

ShadowFox89

It's funny, he mentions Google pouring millions into lobbyists. Last I checked on sites like opencongress.org, lobbyists supporting the bills have contributed over ten times the amount that opponents have.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Vekseid on January 15, 2012, 01:24:39 AM
Aww, Murdoch no likey Obama anymore.

Considering that he wants to get a dime every time someone mentions the words 'according to the New York Times' aloud, he's going to throw a hissy when the president comes out against something like that. After all it means that Google, YouTube and all those other commie subversive pinkos in California won't be paying him his due!

Not to mention the more folks pay attention to THIS the less they will to the fact that it's fairly likely that News Corp violated people's privacy here in the US as well as the UK and he's been covering it up!

(Sorry.. I despise the man..and everytime I see his picture I expect him to have a 'Blofeld Cat' in his hands and saying things like. "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die..."

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 20, 2011, 01:37:49 AM
Well look at Wizard's solution for ebook copying. They went from 'some legal and mostly illegal' to 'all illegal' by removing all electronic content they WERE getting paid for offline. You want ANYTHING of Wizards in pdf or ebook format.. forget it.

I lost like 2 dozen 3.5 books and modules from Drivethrurpg because I was on deployment duirng the 2 day grace period before they had to pull content.

just wanted to say Pazio has whupped wizard's ass for the last two years. in attepmting to kill third parties with 4e and banning all 3.5 in digital format, even suing over it the lost not just repsect, but many players as well.

according to the christmas sales for both groups, after the tally is in, Pazio's marketing of digital, user friendly, products, coupled with not pnly paying attention to their fanbase, but allowing fan made material, that, if well written, you can download for either free or anywhere between 1-20 dollars depending on quality, and even giving the writers a cut of the money when their mods sell, have won over fans.

D&D 4e and Pathfinder are currently tied in sales revenue.
over half wizard's staff jumped ship when they abandoned all d20 products and licences, and the market is speaking volumes about adapting to the times and listening to your fans.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

Figured I'd post this here.  I went to check out my local Craigslist and ended up redirected here: 

http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Sarena

Petition against PIPA and SOPA.  Thought some might be interested in this, if ya hadn't seen it already.
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

gaggedLouise

In my native tongue, sopa means "piece of trash, utter garbage". Very fitting acronym.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Strangely enough.. BOTH my senator's office numbers have been solidly busy ALL day.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Saku

I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Oniya

Five key senators abandon online piracy bills amid Web protests

QuoteCongressional support for controversial online piracy legislation eroded dramatically on Wednesday in the face of an unprecedented online protest supported by tech titans such as Google, Wikipedia and Facebook.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Damn.. two months of emailing/calling Marco Rubio's office and he FINALLY grows a pair. I'm still not voting for him again or trusting him farther than I can throw the Capitol.

Vekseid

Somehow, I don't think it's a matter of growing a pair when it took Google and Wikipedia basically telling half his voter base.

ShadowFox89

Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vekseid

Did Facebook or Twitter ever put up a notice with similar visibility to Google's? I didn't see it. At the same token, if I were in Facebook or Twitter's position, I'd be wary of presenting it as an overkill issue rather than allowing the user population to basically prove that Google and Wikipedia are not acting on purely ulterior motives.

If the idea of Google and Facebook banding together on a consumer information campaign didn't scare the shit out of Congress before, it ought to now.

Cheka Man

I brought hundereds of pounds of music legally through I-tunes, and when my computer died I lost the whole lot. And you wonder why people turn pirate?

Chris Brady

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 18, 2012, 10:12:21 PM
Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit.....
All of which has more credibility than all the petitions in the world.  If they hadn't stepped to the plate, the bills would have passed easily.  Sad, but true.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cheka Man on January 18, 2012, 10:35:06 PM
I brought hundereds of pounds of music legally through I-tunes, and when my computer died I lost the whole lot. And you wonder why people turn pirate?

You might want to check your iTunes account.. the new iCloud update gave me several DOZEN albums I lost in the last drive crash back. I've been using iTunes for.. oh.. six years and some of them were quite old.

Just saying.. you might get some of them back.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on January 18, 2012, 10:44:50 PM
All of which has more credibility than all the petitions in the world.  If they hadn't stepped to the plate, the bills would have passed easily.  Sad, but true.

Well on the other side of the coin. GoDaddy backed it.. and lost something like 100,000 domains for it.

Iniquitous

Found this this afternoon from the creator of Cheezburger. Apparently, it's making it's rounds, let's hope it helps drum up more awareness with those that don't pay attention to what's going on.

The Day The LOLcats died
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Oniya

Quote from: Revolverman on January 19, 2012, 12:27:12 AM
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/18/congressman-lamar-smith-author-of-sopa-breaks-copyright-law-on-campaign-website-image/

*cough*

I thought that was terribly funny.  If you follow links back to where the story broke (I went to the 9GAG article, and there was a link to a Forbes article in the comments, which led me to a Vice article), there's actually a comment from the photographer suggesting that if the bill passed, maybe he'd file suit under it.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

give it six months.. it will be back to the first position picture again.. the elected think all they have to do is wait.