The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Fox network tv doesn't exactly have a good track record with most shows. They cancel decent shows like Firefly and keep others. They seem to be trying to make up for past failures. Fox overall has pretty much taken a hit financially. Here's hoping with the release of Deadpool things turn around.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 07, 2016, 01:53:19 PM
Fox network tv doesn't exactly have a good track record with most shows. They cancel decent shows like Firefly and keep others. They seem to be trying to make up for past failures. Fox overall has pretty much taken a hit financially. Here's hoping with the release of Deadpool things turn around.

We can only hope. Any data on how much they expect to lose by not making it accessible to PG-13 audiences? I'm just curious. They might never do the R-rated thing again if it doesn't do well enough. But at least the other spin-offs they can do won't necessarily need to be rated R to be appealing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Jewel Staite, Firefly actress has been added to the cast of Legends of tomorrow playing Rachel Turner who is a tech genius and roboticist from the future. Articel dropped hints that she is related to an already established character.

Diggle is set to go toe to toe with King Shark on The Flash!

Apparently in the Doctor Strange movie, Stephen Strange will be journeying to the Dark Dimension. Which is home to the kingdom of the Mhuruuks, powerful sorcerers ruled by Olnar. And it is also home to Umar, and his brother Dormammu. I guess can pretty much guess who Mads Mikkelson will be playing.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 07, 2016, 10:53:56 PM
Jewel Staite, Firefly actress has been added to the cast of Legends of tomorrow playing Rachel Turner who is a tech genius and roboticist from the future. Articel dropped hints that she is related to an already established character.

Diggle is set to go toe to toe with King Shark on The Flash!

Apparently in the Doctor Strange movie, Stephen Strange will be journeying to the Dark Dimension. Which is home to the kingdom of the Mhuruuks, powerful sorcerers ruled by Olnar. And it is also home to Umar, and his brother Dormammu. I guess can pretty much guess who Mads Mikkelson will be playing.

I guess Pacino passed on that role, then, when they were in talks for him to play a part in it. But I had read somewhere that Mikkelson was playing a more human character, unless he's just an avatar of Dormammu and will assume his true form at a later time. I really hope they make the story not too convoluted; just like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man, not a lot of the audience, even some of the fans, are overly familiar with Strange's exploits so I want some decent foundation laid down before they start opening up doors to other dimensions.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

They would probably have Dormammu in human form and morph for battle with Doctor Strange. He'd probably appear in human form to "befriend" Doctor Strange. They said the Dark Dimension is going to be rather psychedelic in appearance.

Black Panther finally has a director. They signed on the Ryan Coogler, who directed Creed to be the director.

I was watching Birds of Prey, the short lived WB show a while ago. Dina Meyer who played Oracle/Batgirl/Barbara Gordon would be interesting casting choice for Captain Marvel. She's got a few action movies under her belt like Starship Troopers, Johnny Mnemonic, etc.  Anyone else think Alexander Skarsgaard from True Blood might be a decent choice for Iron Fist?

CaptainNexus616

Ryan Coogle for Black Panther? I can get behind this!

I am really disappointed in TNT right now. There was plans to produce a live action Teen Titans show for the network but recent news says they have cancelled the plans. ._.  Really TNT? REALLY?! They could have pulled in a crap ton of viewers who grew up with the original animated show. Their had to been some internal production conflict going on for them to pull the plug on this. I was so excited for it....
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

There could have been some stuff going on behind the scenes which caused the show to be cancelled. Like Warner Bros. telling them they couldn't use Robin because Robin is possibily appearing in one of the movies. Without Robin it is not really teen titans. Though the could do a different form of Titans or even a live action Young Justice. Or, even the Outsiders.

mia h

Honestly, I'm not the least bit surprised about the "cancelation" of Titans\Blackbirds. They were supposedly casting for the pilot this time last year but there was absolutely zero news about who was being cast in which role. And again the pilot was supposed to have been filmed in May but that never happened, all of which says the pilot script sucked big time and there was nothing they could do to get the script approved.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on January 08, 2016, 05:33:39 PM
Honestly, I'm not the least bit surprised about the "cancelation" of Titans\Blackbirds. They were supposedly casting for the pilot this time last year but there was absolutely zero news about who was being cast in which role. And again the pilot was supposed to have been filmed in May but that never happened, all of which says the pilot script sucked big time and there was nothing they could do to get the script approved.

If Legends of Tomorrow is struggling with budget issues, that sure as hell is a factor in stuff like this too.

I wouldn't personally care for Alexander Skaarsgard as Danny Rand/Iron Fist but I would like to see him in the MCU in some capacity. Maybe as a villain?

mia h

Legends of Tomorrow is a very different kettle of fish as the production company can spread production costs (and make savings) across 4 different shows.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on January 08, 2016, 07:39:16 PM
Legends of Tomorrow is a very different kettle of fish as the production company can spread production costs (and make savings) across 4 different shows.

4? What is there besides Arrow, Flash and LoT? But these kind of sfx-intensive shows have got to cost a bundle. I don't think every network can afford that.

mia h

Well if I was being hyper-accurate it would be 5, but I was discounting Vixen.
Arrow, Flash, LoT; all filmed in Vancouver, all produced by Berlanti Productions, DC Comics\ DC Entertainment & Warner Brothers Television, all aired on CW
Supergirl; filmed in Vancouver, produced by Berlanti Productions, DC Comics\ DC Entertainment & Warner Brothers Television, all aired on CBS (which owns 50% of CW)

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on January 08, 2016, 07:58:50 PM
Well if I was being hyper-accurate it would be 5, but I was discounting Vixen.
Arrow, Flash, LoT; all filmed in Vancouver, all produced by Berlanti Productions, DC Comics\ DC Entertainment & Warner Brothers Television, all aired on CW
Supergirl; filmed in Vancouver, produced by Berlanti Productions, DC Comics\ DC Entertainment & Warner Brothers Television, all aired on CBS (which owns 50% of CW)

Ah, I didn't know they were the parent company and also responsible for Supergirl. I still don't know how Gotham is allowed to air on Fox, but whatever.

Has anyone been watching Supergirl? I haven't heard anyone talking about it so I'm wondering if it's any good or if it's doing well in the ratings or with critics.

SapphireStar

Apparently on the latest episode of Supergirl, she and Martian Manhunter face off against a White Martian. Is it me or does it seem out of character for Supergirl to constantly rely on others to help her out at the last minute? Pretty much everybody knows her secret now. CBS ordered a whole season despite ratings being okay.

Vixen is animated, cost of special effects would be minimal compared to what is being used on the live action show. They were not even sure if they would bring back King Shark since the effects needed to make the character were rather expensive but they brought him back regardless do to the overwhelming fan support.   

Robbie Amell is confirmed to return to The Flash as the Earth 2 version. The Earth 2 version is married to super villian Killer Frost/Caitlyn Snow, and he is called Deathstorm instead of Firestorm. And, Reverse Flash/Eobard Thawne is set to return!

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on January 08, 2016, 08:50:40 PM
Ah, I didn't know they were the parent company and also responsible for Supergirl. I still don't know how Gotham is allowed to air on Fox, but whatever.
Well Constantine was on NBC, Lucifer is on Fox, Preacher is heading for AMC etc. so DC Entertainment will work with anyone (with the possible exception of ABC)

Quote from: Mathim on January 08, 2016, 08:50:40 PM
Has anyone been watching Supergirl? I haven't heard anyone talking about it so I'm wondering if it's any good or if it's doing well in the ratings or with critics.
It had highest premiere viewing figures but those figures have slide. It's a bit clunky in places, but what show isn't during it's first season? But Melissa Benoist *is* Supergirl, she is absolutely 100% the right actor for the role, you could swap out some of the other actors and I doubt anyone would notice but Benoist is the show.

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 08, 2016, 11:25:59 PM
Vixen is animated, cost of special effects would be minimal compared to what is being used on the live action show.
True but there are lots of other areas where costs and resources can be shared and made cheaper. One tiny example; Blake Neely does the music for all 5 shows, now do you think he's getting paid the full amount for all 90 episodes he's scoring this season or do think there's a bulk discount?

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on January 09, 2016, 02:50:10 AM
Well Constantine was on NBC, Lucifer is on Fox, Preacher is heading for AMC etc. so DC Entertainment will work with anyone (with the possible exception of ABC)
It had highest premiere viewing figures but those figures have slide. It's a bit clunky in places, but what show isn't during it's first season? But Melissa Benoist *is* Supergirl, she is absolutely 100% the right actor for the role, you could swap out some of the other actors and I doubt anyone would notice but Benoist is the show.
True but there are lots of other areas where costs and resources can be shared and made cheaper. One tiny example; Blake Neely does the music for all 5 shows, now do you think he's getting paid the full amount for all 90 episodes he's scoring this season or do think there's a bulk discount?

Daredevil comes to mind, but that's just my opinion.

SapphireStar

Depends on what his salary is per episode, per show. The various Guilds (Writers, Actor, Director, Producer) all have set rates for which they are to be paid. Depending on shows, actors can be paid anywhere from $50,000 per episode, to more then $500,000 per episode regardless of how many shows they guest on as per stated in their contracts. So, Blake Neely probably gets his same salary per show.

Personally, I liked Laura Vanderoot as Supergirl/Kara. She portrayed the strong, independent character. The new show, I don't feel it. The new show has her being saved practically every episode by her friends and sister. The show feels more like a romantic comedy then a superhero show. I'll be surprised if it gets renewed.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 09, 2016, 09:20:57 AM
Depends on what his salary is per episode, per show. The various Guilds (Writers, Actor, Director, Producer) all have set rates for which they are to be paid. Depending on shows, actors can be paid anywhere from $50,000 per episode, to more then $500,000 per episode regardless of how many shows they guest on as per stated in their contracts. So, Blake Neely probably gets his same salary per show.

Personally, I liked Laura Vanderoot as Supergirl/Kara. She portrayed the strong, independent character. The new show, I don't feel it. The new show has her being saved practically every episode by her friends and sister. The show feels more like a romantic comedy then a superhero show. I'll be surprised if it gets renewed.

Thank you, this is the kind of information I need to see whether I might want to spend time getting into a new show or not.

They finally did an "Everything Wrong with Ant-Man". Apparently there was some debate about what movie those cinemasins guys were going to do next, but I guess Fant4stic was going to take over an hour for them to point out every sin in the movie (no surprises) which would be their longest one ever, and they didn't want to put in quite that much effort...yet. I agree with a lot of what they sin, stuff they catch that I don't, but these guys also tend to miss quite a few things in the movies which explain plot holes or other things that then lead to them sinning things that they shouldn't. I wonder if anyone else on here can spot a few. I know they did on the Age of Ultron one, where they missed how Cap has a magnetic device to recall his shield during the first HYDRA battle, and then when he used it in the floating city at the end, they were oblivious to how he did it and sinned it because they thought it was some mysterious, unexplained magic power he suddenly developed out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex4RNBQSTNA

SapphireStar

Okay. So, a big bombshell was dropped recently concerning the Marvel comics. How it will affect the upcoming slate of movies, I do not know. There will be another Civil War. This time it will be according to the article a minority report of sorts style plot once again pitting heroes against each other. On the opposing side of this, is Tony Stark. While leading the charge for the other side is Captain Marvel. Now, for the big bombshell. It was hinted that a major Marvel character will die!

Since they announced a Captain Marvel movie, I doubt they would kill the character. Spider-Man/Peter Parker is also involved. Again, Spider-Man has a new movie coming out. Which leaves a few others with ties to the movies up in the air in regards to whether or not they will be back for more movies. Iron Man hasn't had a new individual movie since Iron Man 3. Black Widow and Hawkeye, unknown whether they will be in future movies. Sebastian Stan has a nine picture deal contract, so, Bucky/Winter Soldier is safe bet to return.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 11, 2016, 03:48:51 PM
Okay. So, a big bombshell was dropped recently concerning the Marvel comics. How it will affect the upcoming slate of movies, I do not know. There will be another Civil War. This time it will be according to the article a minority report of sorts style plot once again pitting heroes against each other. On the opposing side of this, is Tony Stark. While leading the charge for the other side is Captain Marvel. Now, for the big bombshell. It was hinted that a major Marvel character will die!

Since they announced a Captain Marvel movie, I doubt they would kill the character. Spider-Man/Peter Parker is also involved. Again, Spider-Man has a new movie coming out. Which leaves a few others with ties to the movies up in the air in regards to whether or not they will be back for more movies. Iron Man hasn't had a new individual movie since Iron Man 3. Black Widow and Hawkeye, unknown whether they will be in future movies. Sebastian Stan has a nine picture deal contract, so, Bucky/Winter Soldier is safe bet to return.

Holy fucking ass crackers, how much more shuffling around are they going to do in Phase 3? Seriously, they need to just say Infinity War Part I is the end of it and make everything after that Phase 4. Maybe that will be Chris Evans' final appearance instead of an Avengers pic? Oh, and this might be a spoiler but I've been hearing
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Ant-Man is going to transition into Giant Man during Civil War. So we'll get to see him stomping fools before he even gets his own sequel.

TheGlyphstone

SapphireStar

I heard that as well. This latest development in the comics has left me scratching my head. I swear there is more infighting with the heroes then there is actual battles with the bad guys. There was Avengers vs. X-Men. X-Men: Schism. Civil War, etc.

There had been hinting that Captain America: Civil War is probably Chris Evans last film. They're already gearing up in speculating who will take up the shield. All roads seem lead to Bucky taking up the shield for a while since he did take up the shield in the comic. Already, they are pretty much phasing out the original characters and actors from the MCU. There's talk of the possibility of a female Thor after Thor: Ragnarok.

mia h

The difference between movies and comics, actors get old and need to be replaced.

And in other news Laura Vandervoort is making an appearance on Supergirl.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on January 12, 2016, 04:55:07 AM
The difference between movies and comics, actors get old and need to be replaced.

And in other news Laura Vandervoort is making an appearance on Supergirl.

LOL, how apropos. Didn't Dean Cain also play her father in it? He was Superman in the old Lois and Clark series.

How old is old, though? I would think Evans and Hemsworth would be good for at least another half-decade if not another full decade. But if it means getting new characters and not just new actors, I'm okay with them being phased out. Black Panther is perfect for taking up the Super Soldier role in the new version of the Avengers, Doctor Strange is a more than adequate substitute for Thor, Captain Marvel can bring the strength of the Hulk along with all her other powers, Ant-Man is still a newcomer and has more potential than we've seen thus far and the Wasp can do what he does in his own movie, plus fly on her own. Anyone can pick up an Iron Man suit but if it's just Rhodey, that's still fine although they'll probably want him replaced soon. The might even let Amadeus Cho show up and take up the mantle of techie on the team. Plus there's Spidey. I think they'll be just fine if they lose their current roster and fit these new pieces together.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on January 12, 2016, 09:12:53 AM
LOL, how apropos. Didn't Dean Cain also play her father in it? He was Superman in the old Lois and Clark series.
Melissa Benoist :  Kara Danvers
Dean Cain : Jeremiah Danvers - Kara's adoptive father, previously Superman in Lois & Clark
Helen Slater : Eliza Danvers  - Kara's adoptive father, previously Lara-El in Smallville and Supergirl in '84 movie
Laura Vandervort : Indigo, previously Kara Zor-El in Smallville.

So I'm expecting them to shoe horn in shot of the 3 Supergirl's together.

Quote from: Mathim on January 12, 2016, 09:12:53 AM
How old is old, though? I would think Evans and Hemsworth would be good for at least another half-decade if not another full decade. But if it means getting new characters and not just new actors, I'm okay with them being phased out. Black Panther is perfect for taking up the Super Soldier role in the new version of the Avengers, Doctor Strange is a more than adequate substitute for Thor, Captain Marvel can bring the strength of the Hulk along with all her other powers, Ant-Man is still a newcomer and has more potential than we've seen thus far and the Wasp can do what he does in his own movie, plus fly on her own. Anyone can pick up an Iron Man suit but if it's just Rhodey, that's still fine although they'll probably want him replaced soon. The might even let Amadeus Cho show up and take up the mantle of techie on the team. Plus there's Spidey. I think they'll be just fine if they lose their current roster and fit these new pieces together.
I was thinking more of Robert Downey Jr. he's 50 and Don Cheadle is slightly older so they're not going be right for all action heroes. Mark Ruffalo and Chris Hemsworth are great actors who won't want to get typecast. As for Benedict Cumberbatch, I think Dr. Strange is just another step in his quest for world domination. And then there is poor Scarlett Johansson, not exactly given a substantial role in the films and where Robert Downey Jr. *might* be able to go on for another 5 or 10 years there no way they cast a 60 year old woman to run around in a skin tight cat suit.

I'm not saying that replacing the actors\characters is a bad thing, just that it's inevitable as get older and think about career prospects beyond the limits of the MCU.