News:

Main Menu

Cosplay Question

Started by Keylee, June 12, 2014, 09:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keylee

I hope Off-Topic is the place to put this question haha.. if not I'm sorry! D:

Anyways, I'm going to a convention in July! I'm excited because tons of awesome people will be there like the voice of Glados from Portal and the original Black Power Ranger, like OMG I'm excited.

Buuuut little issue D: I have to start my cosplay! Lol. I have like 3 weeks and I did start it but the hood came out like CRAP. The pattern I got was like really bad. I'm going as Nightwing. I'm basing the costume off of this picture. I'm altering it a little, I'll have black shorts and fishnet stockings because it's July and I'll be female Nightwing mwahhaha....

Anyways, Does anyone have a site where I can get a free hood pattern similar to the picture? I've looked ALLL over and can't find one close. It doesn't have to be exact and at this point I'm branching out and just trying to find a decent hood that I can attach to a cloak.

EDIT: MY level of making things is like level 1, I don't really know much other than how to sew using a sewing machine, so if you can, can you make sure its an easy to follow pattern?

SUPER EXCITED EDIT: I FINISHED IT: http://i.imgur.com/4fxMAHQ.jpg
Turn on's and Off's l Romance Me! l A&Al
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Asher

Sorry I cant help. But I love the idea and just wanted to say good luck. I haven't cosplayed yet but I plan on it next year. :)
I am 100% okay with random PM's.

Keylee

Thank you Asher :D, I'm going to tryyyy haha. I always plan like a year a head.

BlueMaiden88

A hood pattern is usually a basic pattern addition.  I don't know of any patterns because I don't ever use them.  I always use notations of how the fabric drapes to get a feel for what I need to do to get it the way I want.

A hood is ROUGHLY, two half circles sewn together along the curved edge to fit your head.  To get a Nightwing, pointed hood, draw a large half circle on a piece of paper.  Make sure it's a little larger than the rough approximation of half your head.  Extend the portion that should drape down your face so that it looks slightly like weird egg.  Don't make the point too pointy.  It'll look weird.  Make sure to hold the pattern up to your head to be SURE that it will fit you properly.  Imagine your head was cut in half, lengthwise, between your eyes.  The curved part of the pattern should line up with the center line of your head along that axis.   Use the rough pattern you draw to cut out your fabric.  Pin the curved sized of the fabric together and test it out before proceeding. 

Notice on the drawing that he has a hood over a cape.  So, he essentially has TWO capes on.  The shoulder covering part of the cape should be made, roughly like you'd make a scarf, but with a closure in the front so it doesn't slip off.  Use paper to help you figure out how to line it up on your body, then trace the lines where you want it to fall on you and use that paper pattern as a guide. 

Also, keep in mind that the deeper the hood, the more the fabric in front will form a point in front of your face.
Because it's more than one color, I suggest making the hood in BLACK first, then cutting out blue designs and sewing them to the black portion like an applique. 

GermanCake

I'm going to be covering the Anime Expo in LA for July for my local paper. I wish I had the talent to enter the cosplay contest, but I'm just going to be mostly taking pictures and writing about what was interesting. Hope your costume comes out the way you want it! 

Madame Professor

I'd like to add to what BlueMaiden said... specially regarding the blue on the hood edge.

When I made my White Mage robe, I used Heat N Bond or something similar, I can't remember the brand exactly, to help with the red triangles on the edges of the hood and sleeves. It might be worth looking into for this, because it would add some structure and weight to the design and definitely help with the shape of the point, It's really secure, too, so you can just got over it with a very simple stitch for added security if you want, but I think I ran out of time and... six maybe seven years later, it's still in great condition and holding strong.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

himawari

whenever i cosplay and need help i turn to this: http://cosplaytutorial.com/list.php

and i hope this helped too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DfqKUfoqhM

loads of youtube tutorials etc. >w<

there an event here in singapore too 5 and 6 of july. i can't wait. *bounces up and down*
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

Keylee

Thanks ladies and Gentleman, I looked over a lot of the Advice and it was really helpful. I for one like using a pattern. I hate not using one, I don't have the skills to do as the fabric flows or what not nor do I plan in really doing anything elaborate with sewing in the future. This is more like a fun once in a while kind of thing :D.  The heat and bond is rather interested I may ask  my friend about that to see what she says. She just finished making her corset  for her outfit. I feel so behind XD... I might even ditch the hood at this point to catch up on everything....:/...

The link is awesome thank you.

Again thanks for the input everyone it was really helpful! I will make the hood black first, my friend suggested not doing the blue but make a blue patch of the night wings symbol for the back of the cape instead.

BlueMaiden88: I never thought of it as being in two cloaks, that may make it actually easier for me to handle it. :D

annarose: Great link!

BlueMaiden88

I'm glad I could help a little bit.  ^_^  Good luck with your cosplay!

Keylee

SO update: I made the hood, actually... I made my own patterns for everything. But right now all i have is the hood done. Thanks for the advice ladies and Gents, worked out real  nice :D

BlueMaiden88

SUPER AWESOME!  I'd love to see photos when it's finished!

Madame Professor

Yay!! That's great! I echo BlueMaden's words; would love to see pictures when it's complete!
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Keylee

http://i.imgur.com/KzO7SFY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AtHujhR.jpg  - Messed up on boot covers so they are going to be leggings haah..

http://i.imgur.com/tVWsURp.jpg - so I ended up tracing out a hoodie's hood and a shirt that I wear a lot to get the fit of the of the hood and the i dunno cowl? Whatever the thing that goes around my neck. I attached the hood to it and in the process of fabric glueing blue felt around the edges for decoration.

I haven't started the cape yet, but the white thing under the hood is the pattern for it. Hopefully it will fit nicely with the hood.. MAYBE XD. I'm going to attact it to the shirt thing somehow >.>

BlueMaiden88

Your staff and garters are SUPER solid!  They look marvelous! 

I can see the hood is coming together too!  You're doing a wonderful job!  Keep up the great work and THANK YOU for updating us with your progress!

Keylee

Thank you so much! it was a lot of fun at the convention. I got hugs from many different robin's and other nightwings haha...

I also got to meet Pinky and the Brain and Invader Zim, that was epically cool.

But thank you for the tips :D Next year - Sly Cooper.

Callie Del Noire

I was hoping to have more photos for the Cosplay thread in Finders/keepers but the folks that had some of the best costumes this year here at ACC '14 in Jax didn't make the cut because of my first rule.

If I can't be sure they are over 16 (and if at 16 or so .. fully clothed) I won't take the photos. Saw a LOT of nice characters I didn't recognize, a neat little 'tea room' where you have to be formally dressed to go in (nice costuming but nothing that caught my eye.. and they WILL invite folks in to let the 'staff' politely ask them to leave.. it was a chuckle.)

I did see two awesome mass effect costumes when I didn't have my phone with me though. Never found either shepard again either. Shame.. one was a good first effort and the other was nearly perfect.

BlueMaiden88

That's great!  I'm glad your costume was a success!!