News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Next up... Episode 7 Star Wars: The Return of Jar-Jar and the Ewoks

Started by Callie Del Noire, October 31, 2012, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 06, 2012, 05:00:34 PM
It made him a lot more complex without spoiling his ominous mystique, the way the prequel trilogies did by making him Inigo Montoya IN SPAAAACE.

ROFL.

Yep, Tales of the Bounty Hunters is my all time fave Fett story, too. That discussion about morals with Leia ... he almost had me agreeing with him.  :P

ReijiTabibito

I don't have the book now, but when I was in high school, I memorized the speech about justice that Fett gave as his departing statement to the planet he was exiled from originally.

Stella

Ha, me too! I had it written in my school diary, nobody knew who Journeyman Jaster Mereel was.

ReijiTabibito

To be fair, Fett gets some of the best lines in the Wars-verse ever.  To those who think Fett doesn't have a sense of humor, I refer to you Sulu on Vulcans.

Silverfyre

TOR is dead? Huh, my server must have missed that memo. Pretty lively on Ebon Hawk and RP flourishes there.

TheGlyphstone

Speaking of TOR, has there been any word on when FTP kicks in? I want to get as close as I can before re-upping my subscription to guarantee Cartel Coins, then never pay again.

Silverfyre

I believe it is sometime near the end of November/December. 

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on November 06, 2012, 05:03:47 PM
I really enjoyed the story line from the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. While I didn't like the game itself very much. It was all rather just sort of okay. I did very much enjoy the story and the time period. I would like to see some movies made around that. Too bad the game is completely dead now. ((Biggest MMO crash I have seen in the last several years by the way.))
Which is kind of sad, seeing as it's actually not that bad.  If a WoW clone.

And the Bounty Hunter story line was considered the best Imperial one.  Most of the others make an assumption as to what type of class path and race, although the Agent one is more forgiving about that, but it still 'wants' you to be Human, rather than alien.  Sith path want you to be Sith and stumbles a bit when you're not.  The BH path, on the other hand, doesn't care if you're Merc or Powertech, human or alien, it's all about bein' a space badass.  I rather like it.  Right down to the big mean looking space boat you get.

And it's not dead, there are at least several thousand people playing, so it's not quite as good as it wants to be.

The other issue is that everyone compares it to WoW.  As in the World of Warcraft we have now.  Which has 8 YEARS of contents and updates, and then players complain about lack of 'stuff'.  SWTOR has more content and end game in the last 8 months than WoW had in the first TWO YEARS.  But no one sees that, all they see is 'Now'.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
Which is kind of sad, seeing as it's actually not that bad.  If a WoW clone.

And the Bounty Hunter story line was considered the best Imperial one.  Most of the others make an assumption as to what type of class path and race, although the Agent one is more forgiving about that, but it still 'wants' you to be Human, rather than alien.  Sith path want you to be Sith and stumbles a bit when you're not.  The BH path, on the other hand, doesn't care if you're Merc or Powertech, human or alien, it's all about bein' a space badass.  I rather like it.  Right down to the big mean looking space boat you get.

And it's not dead, there are at least several thousand people playing, so it's not quite as good as it wants to be.

The other issue is that everyone compares it to WoW.  As in the World of Warcraft we have now.  Which has 8 YEARS of contents and updates, and then players complain about lack of 'stuff'.  SWTOR has more content and end game in the last 8 months than WoW had in the first TWO YEARS.  But no one sees that, all they see is 'Now'.
[/quot

Whaat? I'd always heard (and felt) that the Imperial Agent storyline blew the BH story out of the water. Half the fun of the IA storyline is being non-human - if anything, I'd think it expects you to be a Chiss.

Chris Brady

The agent is considered the second best, almost a close tie.  And it actually expects you to be human and an operative.  First all Imps in power are Human and secondly, infiltration isn't really a Sniper's forte.  However, at least the story line makes it apparent that an Alien will have it hard in Imp. Sec.  Unlike the Sith stories in which it's glossed over and sometimes assumes that you are Sith born, despite being a Human or other race.

The BH is the 'best' (by an INCREDIBLY small margin) because it makes no assumptions and works, no matter what you are, male, female, human, alien, powertech or merc.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but it's also kinda boring in terms of actual plot. Go to planet, do quests to kill target, rinse and repeat, win contest by being best hunter, start new contest. I'll take the minor continuity glitches of the IA (and the fact that if you're Chiss, Hoth is by far one of the best planets in the entire chain) in trade for a story that felt like it was going somewhere other than in circles (except for the end. God did the very end of the IA story suck, such an anticlimax.)

Chris Brady

Yeah,  but that's why IA is 'second best'.  The ending.  The BH ending, hell, the entire story never let's up being badass.  You are awesome, and the story goes out of it's way to make sure you know and feel it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Skynet on November 07, 2012, 12:07:33 AM
Hopefully, like the Avengers and recent Marvel movies, Disney gives it their all and makes Episode 7 a good movie.  George Lucas wasn't so hot in the prequels.  So this could be a very good transition of ownership.
Likes I sez, the man can't write his way out of a wet paper bag.  But at least he got the look and feel for a universe 'right'.  Time to let professionals do the work.

Stella

Chris Brady

Yes it could.  It can ALWAYS get worse.  Which is somewhat comforting as no matter how bad something ends up being, it can ALWAYS get get worse.

Stella

No no no. No no no. It can't get worse. If it gets worse, my head will explode.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 11:19:31 PM
The agent is considered the second best, almost a close tie.  And it actually expects you to be human and an operative.  First all Imps in power are Human and secondly, infiltration isn't really a Sniper's forte.  However, at least the story line makes it apparent that an Alien will have it hard in Imp. Sec.  Unlike the Sith stories in which it's glossed over and sometimes assumes that you are Sith born, despite being a Human or other race.

The BH is the 'best' (by an INCREDIBLY small margin) because it makes no assumptions and works, no matter what you are, male, female, human, alien, powertech or merc.

Actually, you are wrong there on a few points.  Yeah, I'm going to be "that guy".  The Sith actually interbreed with the red-skinned Sith race during their rise to power so not many of those in power are "pure-blooded" human.  There are several Sith Purebloods in power (Darth Vowrawn, who remains one of my favorite TOR characters) as well as a good smattering of non-humans who take whatever they can get and do it pretty damned well (the Chiss captain on Hoth for example).  But yes, the Empire is very, very human-centric so that's not being argued.

I played through the IA as a Chiss and I didn't feel like it meant for you to be human and an operative.  It played through wonderfully as a sniper for me and the story worked around the player's choices quite well.  Imperial Agents all receive advanced training in their chosen areas, yes, but I would imagine a sniper would be just as capable at infiltration as an operative.  It's a damned good way to get in close to their targets, to know the lay out of the land and find a place to pick the target off.  It's all part of being a spy for the Empire and it does have a real life basis.  My grandfather on my step dad's side was a sniper for the US military during the 1960s and he talked about having to infiltrate all the time.  Interesting stories there, but I digress.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 11:35:08 PM
Yeah,  but that's why IA is 'second best'.  The ending.  The BH ending, hell, the entire story never let's up being badass.  You are awesome, and the story goes out of it's way to make sure you know and feel it.

See, that's my point...the BH story doesn't stop being badass because it never gets badass in the first place. It's like a gigantic WoW kill-this-X quest chain spread over fifty levels, with a rather threadbare excuse plot glued on top to justify the change in scenery. Even the Jedi Knight quest on the Republic side, with its similar repetitive 'Kill this Superweapon, now go kill this Superweapon, etc.' at least gives the illusion that you're accomplishing something critical. The IA, SI, SW, Trooper, Smuggler - they all put you as the key element in a long-running plot arc - the BH is just a series of effectively unconnected short stories.

Moraline

Regardless of what everyone thinks about the game. You have to admit the entire era of "The Old Republic" is exciting and would make for some fantastic movies.

I would like to see a lot of those worlds brought to life in movies.

TheGlyphstone

Agreed...and we really are drifting off-topic, there's already a thread for TOR in here somewhere.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Moraline on November 07, 2012, 08:51:16 AM
Regardless of what everyone thinks about the game. You have to admit the entire era of "The Old Republic" is exciting and would make for some fantastic movies.

I would like to see a lot of those worlds brought to life in movies.

I'll second The Old Republic era vote.... I also wouldn't mind them to jump ahead to after The Fate of the Jedi storyline and focus on someone other then Skywalker and Solo clans. Come to think of it I need to finish that storyline as well though I forget which book I left off on.

LunarSage

I've heard the toilet paper bounty hunter guy (I can't remember his name  Dengar!  That was it.) was pretty cool in the novels as well.

No one is more of a badass than Bossk, though.   ;)

Robot Chicken: Dengar on the Elevator

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Stella

Bloody Bossk! I spent the entire Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy swearing at him. I do love how Tinian got the drop on him in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, too. Basically any story where Bossk gets his ass handed to him is a good story for me. :p

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫