Next up... Episode 7 Star Wars: The Return of Jar-Jar and the Ewoks

Started by Callie Del Noire, October 31, 2012, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucas-films-for-4-billion/

It was like the sounds of a thousand fans being ignored forever more in the pursuit of franchise mining Luke...

This worries me

Teo Torriatte

Fuuuck...

What are the chances of Disney NOT trampling all over our treasured childhood memories with the next three SW movies...

More than Lucas already did, himself, with ep 1-3, I mean...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Luna on October 31, 2012, 08:39:40 AM
Fuuuck...

What are the chances of Disney NOT trampling all over our treasured childhood memories with the next three SW movies...

More than Lucas already did, himself, with ep 1-3, I mean...

Me.. I'm curious to what blackmail they had on him.. I mean.. the ultimate contorl freak that Lucas is.. to SELL his baby.. He keeps skywalker ranch..

Moraline

gaggedLouise

Oh save us from inventing taglines such as "Can Super-Donald rescue Leia's diamonds?"   :-X

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Teo Torriatte

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Moraline on October 31, 2012, 09:13:17 AM
This picture says it all:

Damn it's too early for this shit..thank the goods for Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon.. three fingers and the pain goes away in an otis like shudder.

Will

They can't possibly do any worse than Eps 1-3.  As bad, maybe.  But not worse.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on October 31, 2012, 09:51:43 AM
They can't possibly do any worse than Eps 1-3.  As bad, maybe.  But not worse.

To which I retort thusly: "Do not challenge a board room full of executives with a franchise to cash in on."

Cases in point.. Dragonball Live Action.. and the ongoing cluster-F that is Akira (which has gone from a 200+ million live action to shopping around for a director/writer willing to work 40 to 60 million)

Will

Point taken.  But at some point, you cross a line, and it just becomes garbage.  And there's no need to rank garbage against garbage, no point in contrasting or comparing.  It's all just garbage.  Kill it with fire.

- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on October 31, 2012, 10:18:38 AM
Point taken.  But at some point, you cross a line, and it just becomes garbage.  And there's no need to rank garbage against garbage, no point in contrasting or comparing.  It's all just garbage.  Kill it with fire.

Ah.. the 'Highlander 2+' argument.. very true.. the only way to fix it is to burn it to the ground and start from scratch.  I honestly don't see where the next three will fit in on the timeline.. further back in time?

LunarSage

Uhh, as I recall, Lucus himself was the reason why the prequels sucked so bad.  With him now out of the picture, we might actually get good movies.  Remember, Disney has been making the new Marvel movies and they have been all kinds of awesome.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 31, 2012, 10:29:34 AM
Ah.. the 'Highlander 2+' argument.. very true.. the only way to fix it is to burn it to the ground and start from scratch.  I honestly don't see where the next three will fit in on the timeline.. further back in time?

According to Lucas, the next three were supposed to take place a couple decades after Episode VI and focus on rebuilding the Republic.  If so, I hope they go with some of the novel-canon involving the next Skywalker/Organa/Solo generation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 11:07:54 AM
According to Lucas, the next three were supposed to take place a couple decades after Episode VI and focus on rebuilding the Republic.  If so, I hope they go with some of the novel-canon involving the next Skywalker/Organa/Solo generation.

Sadly my understanding, second hand from a star wars fan friend, is that the books ARE considered to be canon.

Oniya

Sadly?  I'd heard that Zahn's books in particular were pretty good.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 11:22:51 AM

I hate the Vong.. TRULY.. Epically.. TOTALLY.

Avis habilis

I read the first one. It was such a turgid plod I never picked up another.

Aiden

The good

Kingdoms hearts on Tattoonie, hell yea!

Not that I have played many of them since the first one.

Silverfyre

Lucas has gone on record saying that only the movies and their licenses spin-offs (novelizations etc.) are canon and that everything else exists in a "parallel universe".  For reference and interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#George_Lucas_and_Star_Wars_canon

So, with there being a variety of different definitions on what is canon or not, it makes me wonder what is ahead for the Star Wars universe.  I am both intrigued and dreading it, so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Moraline

Kunoichi

Quote from: LunarSage on October 31, 2012, 11:03:22 AM
Uhh, as I recall, Lucus himself was the reason why the prequels sucked so bad.  With him now out of the picture, we might actually get good movies.  Remember, Disney has been making the new Marvel movies and they have been all kinds of awesome.

This.  Disney getting the rights to Star Wars could be exactly what the franchise needs to turn itself around.

Oniya

Quote from: Moraline on October 31, 2012, 12:36:46 PM
We need a Darth Talon and Cade Skywalker movie.

Pretty sure that even Touchstone isn't up for that...  Although I bet it would get a nibble or five around here!

NightRabbit

Quote from: Silverfyre on October 31, 2012, 12:22:26 PM
Lucas has gone on record saying that only the movies and their licenses spin-offs (novelizations etc.) are canon and that everything else exists in a "parallel universe".  For reference and interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#George_Lucas_and_Star_Wars_canon

So, with there being a variety of different definitions on what is canon or not, it makes me wonder what is ahead for the Star Wars universe.  I am both intrigued and dreading it, so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

+1

I agree, we'll have to see what they have in store for Star Wars. However I'm not holding my breath for anything resembling the comics or novels...My SO is going to have a fit when he hears about this. :(

Kunoichi

By the way, a question: Does this mean that Leia is now a Disney princess? :P

LunarSage

Silverfyre

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Aiden on October 31, 2012, 12:11:07 PM
The good

Kingdoms hearts on Tattoonie, hell yea!

Not that I have played many of them since the first one.

if I can cut off a disney character's (mickey's) head with a lightsaber i will condone this merger

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

LunarSage

I loathed Jar Jar... but I swear I'm the only fan in the world who actually liked the Ewoks.  Then again, Return of the Jedi was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a theater.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on October 31, 2012, 08:27:12 PM
I loathed Jar Jar... but I swear I'm the only fan in the world who actually liked the Ewoks.  Then again, Return of the Jedi was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a theater.

It was the animted series that brought on my loathing.

Will

Quote from: LunarSage on October 31, 2012, 08:27:12 PM

I don't mind them, really.  Even if they do look way too much like George Lucas.

- Jack Kerouac

Chris Brady

They are, they've also been retconned out because they go against the movies.  Namely how the clone wars really happened.

I'm of two minds of this.

First is that yeah, this is the beginning of the end, because Lucasarts the video game studio was part of the deal.  Not to mention Lucas' ideal of having Star Wars appeal to the children.  After all, boobs don't jiggle in Star Wars.  Not to mention the Clone Wars computer animation series.

The other side is that Disney has always aimed at entertaining everyone, after all the first Pirates of The Carribean was a pretty good and adult film.  The reason they made the Avengers cartoon was to try and grab the teen demographic, not to mention their Tron Uprising, so they do TRY to do good work.  Not to mention, the Lucas is now in a consultant role for it now, and although he can craft worlds, stories are not his forte.

Cautiously optimistic.  Here's hoping.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

I think 'cautiously optimistic' is a pretty good approach to this whole situation.  It's certainly way too early for all the doom and gloom to start, at least.

Callie Del Noire

You know.. it does bring up a good point.. which secondary character in the Saga would Joss Whedon kill if they put him at the helm?

Oniya

That depends - how long do Gungans usually live?  If the mutant Muppet is still around, it's a no-brainer.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 09:33:23 PM
That depends - how long do Gungans usually live?  If the mutant Muppet is still around, it's a no-brainer.

Nah.. he kills LIKEABLE characters.. Andrew lived through Buffy remember?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on October 31, 2012, 09:33:23 PM
Actually, according to the game Force Unleashed, by Lucasarts, Jar-Jar is currently frozen in Carbonite in Darth Vader's chamber.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ForAlbion

To be honest, I would love to see the Zahn books get made as films. They've got a sense of unity and scope that fits the original trilogy perfectly, it gives Luke a love interest, so he's not some self-righteous chaste monk for all time, Mara Jade is a great character, as are Winter and Thrawn... to be honest, the biggest problem would be the fact that, if they were going to do the Thrawn trilogy, they would have to recast Han, Luke, Leia...and basically every other character that has a major part in the original trilogy. They'll never do the Vhong, they're way too dark for Disney...

One other thing to think about...Disney has the rights to the Star Wars IP...but do they have the screen rights for any of the expanded universe novels? Because if they don't, I don't see them dropping more money for them if they've just paid 4 billion for the movies.

But seriously, if they did do the Zahn trilogy, who would you pick to play Luke, Leia, Han, Mara, and Thrawn?

Liayra

Star Wars: The return of Mickey.

Star Wars: The attack of the Plutos.

Star Wars: Scrooge McDuck menace.

~giggles~

Koren

Im fine with them aquiring the rights to a publishing company like LucasFilm and all that. Its all the littler companies that I'm terrified about.

I swear, if they mess around with ILM I'm gonna go on a rampage

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Koren on November 01, 2012, 09:21:39 AM
Im fine with them aquiring the rights to a publishing company like LucasFilm and all that. Its all the littler companies that I'm terrified about.

I swear, if they mess around with ILM I'm gonna go on a rampage

Are you kidding? ILM is only going to get bigger. No movie man worth his salt is going to kill THAT goose. ILM, even more than the IPs, is all but a license to print money. I'd doubled their budget, staff and floor space if I could in their place. EVERYONE wants to use them.

Chris Brady

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 01, 2012, 01:23:33 PM
Because, unlike Lucas, they know what they're doing.

I think that is unfair. Is Lucas a bit possessive of his baby. Maybe. Did he create and build on ILM. Definitely. He probably had more to do with the industry changing to digital than anyone. EVERYONE though he was crazy to do so but he got YEARS worth of lead  on it. He has a lot more savvy than most give him credit for. Revisionistically minded he might be on his movies BUT he is good at spotting technical innovations.

Chris Brady

I don't think it is entirely unfair.  He may spot the innovations but he doesn't design them, the crew at ILM does.  Mr. Lucas has two major talents, creating settings(not just Star Wars, the Indiana Jones series was his as well) and promoting the right type of special effect for what he's trying to achieve.

And as a 'consultant' he can focus on that.

Will

"Revisionistically minded" is putting it very mildly.  I think it would be more accurate to say that he is a terrible screenwriter and a control freak.  The original trilogy went through a lot of hands besides his to become the great stories that we all remember.  Because of that fact, he was obviously never happy with them, and as soon as he was able, he went back and effed them up as much as he could.

I'm pleased that the franchise is out of his hands.  But I don't know how excited I am, really.  I'm just not as invested as a fan as I used to be.  I believe Disney could make some great movies, and I'll be in line to see Ep 7 when it comes out.  But unless they decide to retcon the prequels, and all the crap they introduced (midichlorians?), I'll never be more than mildly enthused.

- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Still.. George might be a control freak... BUT this..

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/11/01/george-lucas-disney-money-charity/

Bravo George.. bravo.. nice to see some folks with LOTS o Money can be kind and not hide it overseas. :D

Chris Brady

I would like to point out that although I believe that Mr. Lucas cannot write his way out of a wet paper bag, at no time have I said he's a bad guy.  By all accounts, that sort of philanthropy is normal for him. 

I admire the man for his PLANS, his execution of some of them have, no pun intended (but laughter is accepted), less than stellar.

Harlequinade

My partner and I discussed this at great length yesterday, and we feel like this could be beneficial to the saga. Another one of my favorite franchises is the Iron Man franchise, and Disney has made incredible films so far and IM3 looks astonishing! I agree with Chris completely, most of Lucas' writing is awful, and though the idea is there, it's not done well. I'm still holding out hope! lol
What I Like
What I Want

Currently NOT available for new stories.
Unless of course you have already PM'ed me and we are working something out.

Funguy81

When I heard the news, I was stunned. I've been a life long star wars fan since I first saw return of the jedi when I was....shit, I think 5.

I also understand why he sold it though. I have seen fans online, personal debates, and in a couple of conventions how they say that Lucas sold out when he made the new trilogy, or the new indiana jones movie. The fact is it was his baby, and he could do what he wanted with it. The whole line that came out with the movies, the cartoons, games, and books he gave the ok on how the universe played out to entertain the fans. Of course what he made as the years go by not everyone will be a fan of. Not everything will please everyone.

Imagine how it could have been if FOX had decided to keep partial merchandising rights to the saga instead of leaving it completely to Lucas when they both thought the first movie would only made a small profit at the time.

Well guess what, he did exactly what those people say he did years ago. He sold out and now a large company can decide how the rest of the story goes. To be honest I don't like that idea, but I don't blame him either.

Now as for episode seven, I doubt it would be based anything from the novels. Though I will be there when it comes out on theaters and see how it will turn out. Hehe, its the star wars fan in me that wants to rush the theater when it comes out.

Just my two cents on this.

Stella

I love the novels, it's one of the reasons I loathe the Prequels so much because they ignored some canon that the books had established, namely, Boba Fett's history. His was so awesome until the Prequels got hold of him. Anyway, I seriously doubt any of the EU material will make it to film. Lucas himself has stated (no link to back up, sorry) that the only EU book he considers canon is Shadows of the Empire. The SW official site has a list of 'canon tiers', which basically gives him the ability to rewrite anything he wants, however he wants.

I absolutely hate that. I think if he gave license for these people to write stories in his world he should respect them enough to give better credibility. I get that it's his baby, but his determination to ne the very last word in SW lore drives me nuts, especially when there are so many better writers. Zahn and Michael A Stackpole, et all, (except you KJA with your weird Jedi Academy shit).

There was always rumours about 7  8 and 9 being about Leia becoming a Jedi, god help us if that's so.

I just wish they'd leave it alone. Clearly, they learned nothing from the Prequels. The only saving grace here is that someone else is producing and at least for the moment, Lucas is only on in an advisory capacity, which gives hope that they may hire someone with talent to handle the screenplay.

Chris Brady

Boba Fett did nothing of note in any of the original films.  Except die ingloriously in Return of The Jedi.

Also, Lucas has always said that everything can be canon unless it contradicts the movies.  And sadly, Zahn's wonderful books (Although they kept a few things, like the Chiss race) are now invalid.

Stella

No, but according to the books, he doesn't die, and the story of his escape is really exciting! Book!Fett is a serious bamf.

Lucas has stated he's never read any of the books.  Except SOTE, I presume. Shame. He could learn something.

Here's a good off site link which compiles some quotes of what he thinks of canon.

This quote pretty much seals any hope of getting any book canon to screen:

LUCAS:  And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

lol, in that same quote he also swears there will be no more films ..  :P

Silverfyre

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 04, 2012, 09:06:00 AM
Boba Fett did nothing of note in any of the original films.  Except die ingloriously in Return of The Jedi.

Also, Lucas has always said that everything can be canon unless it contradicts the movies.  And sadly, Zahn's wonderful books (Although they kept a few things, like the Chiss race) are now invalid.

Boba Fett did nothing of note in the original films?  Did you watch the same films I did?  There is the whole tracking down Solo and crew for the Empire and turning him in to Jabba the Hutt.  He proved to be an intriguing character who showed just how cunning the bounty hunters were in the original trilogy.  I love me some Fett.

LunarSage

He did get taken out like a punk in a comic relief scene on Tattooine.  I think what it was is that fans were expecting Boba to be really badass in that fight.  Instead he got owned by a half blind Han Solo who didn't even realize he was there.  It's hard to live that down.

I did like the Robot Chicken scenes where they joked about that stuff, though.

Stella

LunarSage

Stella

I think the only thing I love more than Star Wars is a good SW parody. My favourite Robot Chicken moment has to be the little mouse living inside the Death Star droid. I laugh so hard I cry whenever I see that.

Silverfyre

I love a good parody myself. That scene makes me laugh every time.  I always felt bad for that poor janitor who was always cleaning up the corpses that plummeted from above...

Stella

Chris Brady

Quote from: Silverfyre on November 04, 2012, 06:16:58 PM
Boba Fett did nothing of note in the original films?  Did you watch the same films I did?  There is the whole tracking down Solo and crew for the Empire and turning him in to Jabba the Hutt.  He proved to be an intriguing character who showed just how cunning the bounty hunters were in the original trilogy.  I love me some Fett.
Don't get me wrong I love Boba Fett, I happen to think he's awesome (more so than Darth Vader, especially after the wussification of the prequels inflicted on him.)  But really what did he do on screen?  He was better in the comics.

TheGlyphstone

He was ominous. Fett didn't do a whole lot on-screen except deliver Han and get kicked into the Sarlaac pit, but he still became a fan favorite character. When Vader is briefing the bounty hunters in ESB, he stops to specifically tell Fett 'No Disintegrations'. This is a great way to subtly tell the audience a few things about Boba Fett...he's a successful bounty hunter who's done work for the Empire before, and he's so ruthless Darth Vader has to warn him to hold back. When the Falcon+Co. make their daring escape by pretending to be space trash and gluing themselves to the hull of the Star Destroyer (do the Empire seriously not install windows?), Fett is smart enough to figure out their plan and follow them to Bespin. He never removes his helmet, earning a bit of the same 'faceless evil' cred that Vader himself got...and then he gets taken out like a punk during the desert fight scene.

Stella

^ Well put. And it's another reason why seeing what he looks like beneath his helmet was so disappointing in the Prequels. It was so much better when he was a faceless mystery. It made him more dangerous and enigmatic ... plus, you could imagine what he looked like yourself and indulge your own fantasties. :p

Oniya

There was fanfic written about how he was bad-ass enough to escape the Sarlaac.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on November 05, 2012, 08:24:59 PM
There was fanfic written about how he was bad-ass enough to escape the Sarlaac.

There's canon material written about how he was bad-ass enough to escape the Sarlaac. ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2012, 08:30:00 PM
There's canon material written about how he was bad-ass enough to escape the Sarlaac. ;D
'

That is the one where he comes back to put Slave 1 over the pit and gives it a tan huh?

ReijiTabibito

I always thought he blew up his jetpack to escape.

To be fair, though, Fett once managed to, through wit and will and his armor, battle Vader and survive.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 05, 2012, 08:43:00 PM
'

That is the one where he comes back to put Slave 1 over the pit and gives it a tan huh?

Never heard about that story, but if I remember right, it involved using his jetpack and weapons to build a bomb of some sort that catapulted him out of the pit and killed the Sarlaac in the process.

Will

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 05, 2012, 01:18:01 PM
Don't get me wrong I love Boba Fett, I happen to think he's awesome (more so than Darth Vader, especially after the wussification of the prequels inflicted on him.)  But really what did he do on screen?  He was better in the comics.

He hid in the trash after the Imperial fleet left Hoth, figuring that Han would do something similar, and then followed him to Bespin.  I guess that might not be impressive in terms of fighting, or talking, or whatever, but it's pretty crucial to the plot, and it shows that he's incredibly competent and not someone you want looking for you.  And it did happen on screen.

- Jack Kerouac

Stella

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2012, 08:54:14 PM
Never heard about that story, but if I remember right, it involved using his jetpack and weapons to build a bomb of some sort that catapulted him out of the pit and killed the Sarlaac in the process.

Pretty much. He was secured against the walls and the jetpack wasn't supposed to be used in such close quarters, so when he flexed down and hit the switch to activate ... kaboom. And then he was picked up on the surface by Dengar by happy coincidence.

That story is so fucking well written though. Fett has these psychological debates with Sarlacci consciousnesses ... It's very cool.

LunarSage

Quote from: Will on November 05, 2012, 09:31:12 PM
He hid in the trash after the Imperial fleet left Hoth, figuring that Han would do something similar, and then followed him to Bespin.  I guess that might not be impressive in terms of fighting, or talking, or whatever, but it's pretty crucial to the plot, and it shows that he's incredibly competent and not someone you want looking for you.  And it did happen on screen.

Most folks seem to equate 'badass' with being very proficient in combat, though... so I can see why some people are mystified by Boba's popularity if based solely on his movie appearances.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on November 05, 2012, 09:47:42 PM
Most folks seem to equate 'badass' with being very proficient in combat, though... so I can see why some people are mystified by Boba's popularity if based solely on his movie appearances.

Yeah, being beaten by a flailing blind guy with a stick doesn't do much to build your badass combat cred.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Will on November 05, 2012, 09:31:12 PM

It is, and it was one of the things that I picked up on, when I saw ESB in the late 80's.  (I was late to the SW party, what can I say?)

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2012, 09:56:47 PM
Yeah, being beaten by a flailing blind guy with a stick doesn't do much to build your badass combat cred.

This pissed me off in ROTJ.  Such a cool character removed from the movie.

In the old WEG RPG books, they brought out a Bounty Hunter book, detailing all sorts of things about the rules and life style, and in one of the little short story blurbs they recemented the badassness of Mr. Fett.  It went something like this, and told by adjunct or aide:

Boba Fett walks into a Moff's office dragging a bloody and bleeding body of a space pirate (I think) and demands the bounty of a million credits.  The Moff blusters about how the body is ruining his carpet and how this pirate isn't worth that much.

Boba pulls out a Thermal Detonator, and activates, placing it on the desk.  Then says, "Two Million."

Again, the Moff tries to bluster his way out of it, but everyone, except the Bounty Hunter is too scared to do anything.  Boba counters with, "Four million."

By now the little green light on the most dangerous explosive in the SW has changed from a slow pulsing to a slightly faster yellow, and everyone is watching, waiting, terrified that it'll change from yellow to red, seconds before they're all blown up.  The Moff finally breaks and gives Boba the 4 million credits he demanded, who then picks up the detonator, casually switches it off and walks out.  The body left behind in the office.

The Moff's Aide who was recanting this story, immediately requested a transfer to a battle cruiser, because getting shot at in space was safer than having to deal with Fett again.

TheGlyphstone

A neat story, though it is rather obviously a retread of the "My Kind of Scum' scene from RotJ in a different wrapper.

My favorite rendition/depiction of Boba Fett is the one from Tales of the Bounty Hunters. The way he hates spice (and by extension, Han for being willing to smuggle it), and his rigidly Lawful attitude when he's arguing with Leia, up to the bit at the end where he's old and decrepit and staring down his arch-enemy in a Mexican Standoff, was the best look inside Boba's head I'd ever read. It made him a lot more complex without spoiling his ominous mystique, the way the prequel trilogies did by making him Inigo Montoya IN SPAAAACE.

Moraline

I really enjoyed the story line from the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. While I didn't like the game itself very much. It was all rather just sort of okay. I did very much enjoy the story and the time period. I would like to see some movies made around that. Too bad the game is completely dead now. ((Biggest MMO crash I have seen in the last several years by the way.))

Stella

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 06, 2012, 05:00:34 PM
It made him a lot more complex without spoiling his ominous mystique, the way the prequel trilogies did by making him Inigo Montoya IN SPAAAACE.

ROFL.

Yep, Tales of the Bounty Hunters is my all time fave Fett story, too. That discussion about morals with Leia ... he almost had me agreeing with him.  :P

ReijiTabibito

I don't have the book now, but when I was in high school, I memorized the speech about justice that Fett gave as his departing statement to the planet he was exiled from originally.

Stella

Ha, me too! I had it written in my school diary, nobody knew who Journeyman Jaster Mereel was.

ReijiTabibito

To be fair, Fett gets some of the best lines in the Wars-verse ever.  To those who think Fett doesn't have a sense of humor, I refer to you Sulu on Vulcans.

Silverfyre

TOR is dead? Huh, my server must have missed that memo. Pretty lively on Ebon Hawk and RP flourishes there.

TheGlyphstone

Speaking of TOR, has there been any word on when FTP kicks in? I want to get as close as I can before re-upping my subscription to guarantee Cartel Coins, then never pay again.

Silverfyre

I believe it is sometime near the end of November/December. 

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on November 06, 2012, 05:03:47 PM
I really enjoyed the story line from the Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. While I didn't like the game itself very much. It was all rather just sort of okay. I did very much enjoy the story and the time period. I would like to see some movies made around that. Too bad the game is completely dead now. ((Biggest MMO crash I have seen in the last several years by the way.))
Which is kind of sad, seeing as it's actually not that bad.  If a WoW clone.

And the Bounty Hunter story line was considered the best Imperial one.  Most of the others make an assumption as to what type of class path and race, although the Agent one is more forgiving about that, but it still 'wants' you to be Human, rather than alien.  Sith path want you to be Sith and stumbles a bit when you're not.  The BH path, on the other hand, doesn't care if you're Merc or Powertech, human or alien, it's all about bein' a space badass.  I rather like it.  Right down to the big mean looking space boat you get.

And it's not dead, there are at least several thousand people playing, so it's not quite as good as it wants to be.

The other issue is that everyone compares it to WoW.  As in the World of Warcraft we have now.  Which has 8 YEARS of contents and updates, and then players complain about lack of 'stuff'.  SWTOR has more content and end game in the last 8 months than WoW had in the first TWO YEARS.  But no one sees that, all they see is 'Now'.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 08:31:01 PM
Which is kind of sad, seeing as it's actually not that bad.  If a WoW clone.

And the Bounty Hunter story line was considered the best Imperial one.  Most of the others make an assumption as to what type of class path and race, although the Agent one is more forgiving about that, but it still 'wants' you to be Human, rather than alien.  Sith path want you to be Sith and stumbles a bit when you're not.  The BH path, on the other hand, doesn't care if you're Merc or Powertech, human or alien, it's all about bein' a space badass.  I rather like it.  Right down to the big mean looking space boat you get.

And it's not dead, there are at least several thousand people playing, so it's not quite as good as it wants to be.

The other issue is that everyone compares it to WoW.  As in the World of Warcraft we have now.  Which has 8 YEARS of contents and updates, and then players complain about lack of 'stuff'.  SWTOR has more content and end game in the last 8 months than WoW had in the first TWO YEARS.  But no one sees that, all they see is 'Now'.
[/quot

Whaat? I'd always heard (and felt) that the Imperial Agent storyline blew the BH story out of the water. Half the fun of the IA storyline is being non-human - if anything, I'd think it expects you to be a Chiss.

Chris Brady

The agent is considered the second best, almost a close tie.  And it actually expects you to be human and an operative.  First all Imps in power are Human and secondly, infiltration isn't really a Sniper's forte.  However, at least the story line makes it apparent that an Alien will have it hard in Imp. Sec.  Unlike the Sith stories in which it's glossed over and sometimes assumes that you are Sith born, despite being a Human or other race.

The BH is the 'best' (by an INCREDIBLY small margin) because it makes no assumptions and works, no matter what you are, male, female, human, alien, powertech or merc.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but it's also kinda boring in terms of actual plot. Go to planet, do quests to kill target, rinse and repeat, win contest by being best hunter, start new contest. I'll take the minor continuity glitches of the IA (and the fact that if you're Chiss, Hoth is by far one of the best planets in the entire chain) in trade for a story that felt like it was going somewhere other than in circles (except for the end. God did the very end of the IA story suck, such an anticlimax.)

Chris Brady

Yeah,  but that's why IA is 'second best'.  The ending.  The BH ending, hell, the entire story never let's up being badass.  You are awesome, and the story goes out of it's way to make sure you know and feel it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Skynet on November 07, 2012, 12:07:33 AM
Hopefully, like the Avengers and recent Marvel movies, Disney gives it their all and makes Episode 7 a good movie.  George Lucas wasn't so hot in the prequels.  So this could be a very good transition of ownership.
Likes I sez, the man can't write his way out of a wet paper bag.  But at least he got the look and feel for a universe 'right'.  Time to let professionals do the work.

Stella

Chris Brady

Yes it could.  It can ALWAYS get worse.  Which is somewhat comforting as no matter how bad something ends up being, it can ALWAYS get get worse.

Stella

No no no. No no no. It can't get worse. If it gets worse, my head will explode.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 11:19:31 PM
The agent is considered the second best, almost a close tie.  And it actually expects you to be human and an operative.  First all Imps in power are Human and secondly, infiltration isn't really a Sniper's forte.  However, at least the story line makes it apparent that an Alien will have it hard in Imp. Sec.  Unlike the Sith stories in which it's glossed over and sometimes assumes that you are Sith born, despite being a Human or other race.

The BH is the 'best' (by an INCREDIBLY small margin) because it makes no assumptions and works, no matter what you are, male, female, human, alien, powertech or merc.

Actually, you are wrong there on a few points.  Yeah, I'm going to be "that guy".  The Sith actually interbreed with the red-skinned Sith race during their rise to power so not many of those in power are "pure-blooded" human.  There are several Sith Purebloods in power (Darth Vowrawn, who remains one of my favorite TOR characters) as well as a good smattering of non-humans who take whatever they can get and do it pretty damned well (the Chiss captain on Hoth for example).  But yes, the Empire is very, very human-centric so that's not being argued.

I played through the IA as a Chiss and I didn't feel like it meant for you to be human and an operative.  It played through wonderfully as a sniper for me and the story worked around the player's choices quite well.  Imperial Agents all receive advanced training in their chosen areas, yes, but I would imagine a sniper would be just as capable at infiltration as an operative.  It's a damned good way to get in close to their targets, to know the lay out of the land and find a place to pick the target off.  It's all part of being a spy for the Empire and it does have a real life basis.  My grandfather on my step dad's side was a sniper for the US military during the 1960s and he talked about having to infiltrate all the time.  Interesting stories there, but I digress.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 11:35:08 PM
Yeah,  but that's why IA is 'second best'.  The ending.  The BH ending, hell, the entire story never let's up being badass.  You are awesome, and the story goes out of it's way to make sure you know and feel it.

See, that's my point...the BH story doesn't stop being badass because it never gets badass in the first place. It's like a gigantic WoW kill-this-X quest chain spread over fifty levels, with a rather threadbare excuse plot glued on top to justify the change in scenery. Even the Jedi Knight quest on the Republic side, with its similar repetitive 'Kill this Superweapon, now go kill this Superweapon, etc.' at least gives the illusion that you're accomplishing something critical. The IA, SI, SW, Trooper, Smuggler - they all put you as the key element in a long-running plot arc - the BH is just a series of effectively unconnected short stories.

Moraline

Regardless of what everyone thinks about the game. You have to admit the entire era of "The Old Republic" is exciting and would make for some fantastic movies.

I would like to see a lot of those worlds brought to life in movies.

TheGlyphstone

Agreed...and we really are drifting off-topic, there's already a thread for TOR in here somewhere.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Moraline on November 07, 2012, 08:51:16 AM
Regardless of what everyone thinks about the game. You have to admit the entire era of "The Old Republic" is exciting and would make for some fantastic movies.

I would like to see a lot of those worlds brought to life in movies.

I'll second The Old Republic era vote.... I also wouldn't mind them to jump ahead to after The Fate of the Jedi storyline and focus on someone other then Skywalker and Solo clans. Come to think of it I need to finish that storyline as well though I forget which book I left off on.

LunarSage

I've heard the toilet paper bounty hunter guy (I can't remember his name  Dengar!  That was it.) was pretty cool in the novels as well.

No one is more of a badass than Bossk, though.   ;)

Robot Chicken: Dengar on the Elevator

Stella

Bloody Bossk! I spent the entire Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy swearing at him. I do love how Tinian got the drop on him in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, too. Basically any story where Bossk gets his ass handed to him is a good story for me. :p

LunarSage

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on November 07, 2012, 10:25:36 AM
Just get Captain Kirk to deal with him.  >.>
And make sure there's enough styrofoam rocks near by.  O:)

Lux12

In all honesty, if any other company besides Disney had purchased the rights I wouldn't be so concerned, but considering their usual output I'd say they're going to butcher it.

Chris Brady

Lux12

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 09, 2012, 10:49:17 PM
The Avengers was a butchery?
Believe it or not I haven't seen it.Though I have little faith in anything they put out.

Chris Brady

For the record, I've enjoyed most of the Marvel comic films they put it out, so...

I'm not really worried.  Disney, love 'em or hate 'em, has always declared their intent to produce entertainment for everyone, adults and kids, and so far, they've had more successes than failures in that regard, although the one demographic that they've been struggling to get is the 14+ boy market, which is why they went for Marvel in the first place...

Either way, after the butchery that was the Star Wars prequels, how much worse could they do?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 09, 2012, 10:56:15 PM
For the record, I've enjoyed most of the Marvel comic films they put it out, so...

I'm not really worried.  Disney, love 'em or hate 'em, has always declared their intent to produce entertainment for everyone, adults and kids, and so far, they've had more successes than failures in that regard, although the one demographic that they've been struggling to get is the 14+ boy market, which is why they went for Marvel in the first place...

Either way, after the butchery that was the Star Wars prequels, how much worse could they do?

Sure, poke Murphy with a stick, why don't you?

Lux12

I also am very skeptical of how it all will be handled when the creator is not a part of the process.

Silverfyre

But he is still a part of the process.  He is on board as a "creative consultant", let alone the second highest share holder in the company currently.  Lucas will have more than a little say in the matter based on that alone.

Disney hardly "butchers" movies.  See "The Avengers" and then you will see why some of us have a bit of hope with episode 7.

Oniya

I've heard Carrie Fisher is interested.  Who better to play an older version of Leia than an older 'Leia'?

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 10, 2012, 06:09:47 PM
I've heard Carrie Fisher is interested.  Who better to play an older version of Leia than an older 'Leia'?

She actually voiced Leia in Star Wars themed Robot Chicken episode.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Lux12 on November 10, 2012, 05:58:08 PM
Now I know this will not end well.
Why?  I thought Toy Story was one of the few trilogies that actually stayed as good through out all three films, instead of getting worse every new film...

Lux12

Think about the sort of films the Star Wars franchise is composed of, then look at Toy Story. Notice any major differences?

LunarSage

Because Avengers was obviously a movie made with 7 year olds in mind.   ::)

Look, the fact is that no one knows how it's going to go down until it does.  Until then, it's all just speculation.

Silverfyre

Quote from: LunarSage on November 10, 2012, 07:08:08 PM
Because Avengers was obviously a movie made with 7 year olds in mind.   ::)

Look, the fact is that no one knows how it's going to go down until it does.  Until then, it's all just speculation.

Well said, Lunar.  The writer of Toy Story III doesn't just write childrens' films.  Good writers tend to be rather versatile.  Give it a chance; there are barely any details out there about 7 yet.  The "sky is falling" mentality gets a bit exhaustive, you know.   ::)

Stella

I really, really loved TS3. So I feel a bit reassured that there's someone with some decent writing chops looking at treatments for this thing.

Sasquatch421

According to the article I read on MSN this morning J.J. Abrams will be directing the new Star Wars movie. I guess he narrowly beat out Ben Affleck to get the directing duties. Now I don't mind Abram's work, I think he actually did a good job with Star Trek but I would have been truly curious to see how a Affleck directed Star Wars would have been like.

NotoriusBEN

ahh, sasquatch you punk, i was gonna name drop JJ Abrams.

i'm holding my breath on episode 7. as long as it's not another deathstar or something.
From what I remember of jedi knight 2, with empire remnants that's be something interesting. but I'd like a departure from warrior witches.
I know its all about the force and lightsabers, but I want to see the average joe of the galaxy, or a han solo. If a jedi or sith shows up, people should be losing their shit over that.
They can kill you with a thought. They can deflect a blaster shot back at you. I know I'd be cleaning my pants if I found a jedi in the same building as me.

SapphireStar

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on January 25, 2013, 06:03:22 AM
According to the article I read on MSN this morning J.J. Abrams will be directing the new Star Wars movie. I guess he narrowly beat out Ben Affleck to get the directing duties. Now I don't mind Abram's work, I think he actually did a good job with Star Trek but I would have been truly curious to see how a Affleck directed Star Wars would have been like.

I heard he was going to direct as well. He's pretty good with the sci-fi and action. I would be curious to see how he does.  Also heard rumor that Samuel L. Jackson and Ewan Macgregor were interested in returning.  And, possibilities of spin-off movies for certain characters  ??? Wasn't too keen on the redo they did at the end of Return of the Jedi, replacing the original Force Ghosts. Substituting the younger Anakin for Sebastian Shaw.  Dunno, have to wait and see, might be good, might not.

Stella

Nope, I can't even with Abrams. I defended Lost for six years and it turned out to be the most monumental disappointment ever. It was vague, lazy television. I know he's not scripting it so I shouldn't be so pessimistic, but after the fiasco with the Prequels I cannot help but ration my hopes.

Spin-off movies? Oh dear god: if I believed in you I would be praying for an end to all things now.

SapphireStar

Quote from: Stella on January 29, 2013, 05:43:50 AM
Nope, I can't even with Abrams. I defended Lost for six years and it turned out to be the most monumental disappointment ever. It was vague, lazy television. I know he's not scripting it so I shouldn't be so pessimistic, but after the fiasco with the Prequels I cannot help but ration my hopes.

Spin-off movies? Oh dear god: if I believed in you I would be praying for an end to all things now.

I wouldn't even know where they would start for the next trilogy without messing up the already chaotic timeline.  I used to read the books, most were pretty good, the best being the Heir to the Empire.  They lost me after NJO series and Legacy  :-\  I've only seen bits and pieces of Lost, but never watched it.  I did watch Alias, it had its moments.  They were also promising a live action star wars tv series, around the time they were doing the prequels, but nothing ever came of it. Somehow, i have this vision of Vader wearing Mickey Mouse ears and singing the mickey mouse club song   :-(

Stella

I'm exactly the same with the novels. I loved the EU up until the Visions of the Future books, then it all started to get silly.

I do have some faith in Disney though. They make great films, and I thought the Avengers and most of the PotC films were good. So. There is some good, but basically, I wish they'd just leave it all alone.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 29, 2013, 05:51:00 AM
I wouldn't even know where they would start for the next trilogy without messing up the already chaotic timeline.  I used to read the books, most were pretty good, the best being the Heir to the Empire.  They lost me after NJO series and Legacy  :-\  I've only seen bits and pieces of Lost, but never watched it.  I did watch Alias, it had its moments.  They were also promising a live action star wars tv series, around the time they were doing the prequels, but nothing ever came of it. Somehow, i have this vision of Vader wearing Mickey Mouse ears and singing the mickey mouse club song   :-(

From a discussion thread on another forum, apparently the planned timeline - 20 years after RotJ - fits neatly into one of the few gaps in the otherwise heavily cluttered timeline.

Chris Brady

As long as it removes the Vong from the timeline, it can only be better.

SapphireStar

Quote from: Stella on January 29, 2013, 02:19:24 PM
I'm exactly the same with the novels. I loved the EU up until the Visions of the Future books, then it all started to get silly.

I do have some faith in Disney though. They make great films, and I thought the Avengers and most of the PotC films were good. So. There is some good, but basically, I wish they'd just leave it all alone.

I agree, The Avengers was pretty good, I'm a fan of Joss Whedon.  He did pretty good, and add the fact he worked for Marvel briefly as a writer for the X-men series.  Out of the all the PoTC movies, i think number 4 was my favorite. I'm sort of on the fence, kinda apprehensive, but i will give them the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement until the finished product. I just wish they would stop tinkering with something that was good the first time around.