George Carlin Dead at 71

Started by OldSchoolGamer, June 23, 2008, 12:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Brandon

Ah man. I used to watch his specials on HBO all the time and would laugh my ass off for a long time. The worlds going to miss him
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

The Overlord

I considered him the grandmaster of his art, along with monoliths of comedy including Bill Cosby and John Cleese, he was on my must-see list.

Fortunately, I got to see him in April when I did an extended weekend in Vegas. I see as recently as this weekend he was doing shows at the Orleans, which is where I stayed and saw him. He didn't mince words and called it like he saw it, the articles are proclaiming him a counterculture hero.

It was his quirky perspective on the world, his sarcastic wit, his willingness to give the establishment, including religion and politics, but sometimes the entire species, a hugely irreverent FUCK YOU, YOU'RE ALL BULLSHIT! Gave us the seven words you can never say on TV, and had a judge uphold his right to free speech. Hell yes, as close to a personal hero that I'm ever likely to see in a comedian.

Rest in peace George, you're the man. You fucking rule. Maybe now you got some answers to the big questions at last, and are getting a good hard laugh at the universe.

Trieste

I suspect someone like Carlin would not want to rest in peace. I can picture him being a mover, a shaker, a partier. I can't picture him playing a harp somewhere, singing hosannas.

The Overlord

Quote from: Trieste on June 23, 2008, 02:19:56 PM
I can't picture him playing a harp somewhere, singing hosannas.

I had this very conversation with family in an email...George wouldn’t be the only one having issues with this. If the standard issue Christian image of heaven is correct, pearly gates, harps and puffy clouds from a fabric softener commercial, then the afterlife is going to suck hardcore.

In that respect the Muslim concept sounds a little stronger; 72 virgins for eternity.

To paraphrase Pacino in Devil's Advocate, it's going to be part of some sick fucking cosmic gag real on God's part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGR4SFOimlk