Trapped in Purgatory (Dark-Erotic D&D 5.0 Adventure - Closed!)

Started by Roleplay Frog, April 02, 2018, 10:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Blake

Quote from: ThatFantasticBard on April 12, 2018, 11:47:30 PM
I'll have to listen to those later too. But for Ellie, I'm probably just gonna steal the video Deva posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsObv4b-qYg

Yeeesssss so excellent

Quote from: tuckers02 on April 12, 2018, 08:46:21 PM
I see some people are putting in theme songs for their characters.  For Az, I think something from Emily Autumn would fit best.  What do you all think?
Gothic Lolita
I Want My Innocence Back
What If
Swallow
Lucy Has Some Leaches

Listened to them all. Interesting! Fitting, two. Especially, I'd think, the first three.

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on April 13, 2018, 01:03:15 AM
Hmm, if this is the trend, I'll have to figure out a good theme for a dragon barbarian.

Do it. Doooooo it. But I'm biased. I love music to get into the right headset.

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: William Blake on April 13, 2018, 01:48:51 AM
Do it. Doooooo it. But I'm biased. I love music to get into the right headset.

I'm open to suggestions. I'll take a look through stuff when I get home from work too, so I have something to look forward to.

tuckers02

Quote from: William Blake on April 13, 2018, 01:48:51 AM

Listened to them all. Interesting! Fitting, two. Especially, I'd think, the first three.

I don't think the first is as relevant anymore since her escape.

I think the second one is perfect for her, but I don't think it's exclusive to her as it would probably fit Mella just as well...and probably others depending...

I think the third one fits the ironic paradox that is Azderal perfectly so that's probably the one I'll choose.

The last one is I think the perfect representation of Azderal's mental state.

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on April 13, 2018, 01:03:15 AM
Hmm, if this is the trend, I'll have to figure out a good theme for a dragon barbarian.
What about 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings'?

tuckers02

Quote from: ThatFantasticBard on April 12, 2018, 11:47:30 PM
I'll have to listen to those later too. But for Ellie, I'm probably just gonna steal the video Deva posted.

Now Azderal's pocket watch has a purpose :p

Quote from: William Blake on April 12, 2018, 11:41:14 PM
I'll go listen to those in a bit! Until then, accidentally found this and, as a Bard with Sweet Dreams as a theme song...

Az would fall asleep snuggled against Mella if she sang this version of it to her
https://www.youtube.com/QUvVdTlA23w

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: tuckers02 on April 13, 2018, 07:24:53 AM
What about 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings'?

Interesting choice. I like it. Though now I'm torn between that one and I Stand Alone.

William Blake

Quote from: tuckers02 on April 13, 2018, 07:24:53 AM
I don't think the first is as relevant anymore since her escape.

I think the second one is perfect for her, but I don't think it's exclusive to her as it would probably fit Mella just as well...and probably others depending...

I think the third one fits the ironic paradox that is Azderal perfectly so that's probably the one I'll choose.

The last one is I think the perfect representation of Azderal's mental state.

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on April 13, 2018, 09:29:56 AM
Interesting choice. I like it. Though now I'm torn between that one and I Stand Alone.

Be like me. Have a whole list. :D Did you spot it hiding in my character sheet?

Soundtrack

Sweet Dreams, being a wonderful summary of Merielle's outlook, as performed in an appropriately haunting-yet-sacchrine way.
Unbreakable Heart, as a measure of relience and to remind me that Merielle has the grit to improve her life.
Down with the Sickness, for when she flips shit.
Thoughtless, as a wonderful summary of her background.
Help I'm Alive, for when she's scared to get close to people and be vulnerable again.
In The Night as another good summary of her work.
Shatter Me, to remind me she could fall in love.

Quote from: tuckers02 on April 13, 2018, 07:48:07 AM
Az would fall asleep snuggled against Mella if she sang this version of it to her
https://www.youtube.com/QUvVdTlA23w

Alt Version? I'll have to check it out. Though I'm still inevitably drawn to the Emily Browning version I linked above for Merielle. I think it fits her voice better. ;)

tuckers02

Quote from: William Blake on April 13, 2018, 10:38:28 AM
Be like me. Have a whole list. :D Did you spot it hiding in my character sheet?

Soundtrack

Sweet Dreams, being a wonderful summary of Merielle's outlook, as performed in an appropriately haunting-yet-sacchrine way.
Unbreakable Heart, as a measure of relience and to remind me that Merielle has the grit to improve her life.
Down with the Sickness, for when she flips shit.
Thoughtless, as a wonderful summary of her background.
Help I'm Alive, for when she's scared to get close to people and be vulnerable again.
In The Night as another good summary of her work.
Shatter Me, to remind me she could fall in love.

Alt Version? I'll have to check it out. Though I'm still inevitably drawn to the Emily Browning version I linked above for Merielle. I think it fits her voice better. ;)

I do love Emily Browning's haunting version.  But it doesn't have the undertone of rage that the Marilyn Manson version has that would resonate with Azderal.

I did see the list!  The first think that came to mind when I saw 'down with the sickness' was Merielle singing it Richard Cheese style to a room of pompous nobles paying little attention to her.

William Blake

Quote from: tuckers02 on April 13, 2018, 11:13:06 AM
I do love Emily Browning's haunting version.  But it doesn't have the undertone of rage that the Marilyn Manson version has that would resonate with Azderal.

I did see the list!  The first think that came to mind when I saw 'down with the sickness' was Merielle singing it Richard Cheese style to a room of pompous nobles paying little attention to her.

*quietly adds tuckers to his list of favorite people*

I have that version on my phone.

Ahem. But yes. Rage. Merielle is a little bundle of it, so they'll get on well - or kill everyone, which I still think qualifies - but you can't let it show. Not in Merielle's profession. Thus, Emily Browning's version. She could perform that to nobles, too. ;)

tuckers02

That gives me the idea of the perfect theme song for Zral.

'Ready to Die' by Andrew W. K.

Roleplay Frog

Alright, let's go to responding proper. Excuse the large post, I bolded the characters to make it hopefully easy to navigate.

Ssezseehsa Zsistu "Zashesa"

We're all good on bestial things then, because you'll more face monsters with .. quasi sentience. Rping simple beasts is not overly interesting any way.
I dunno what a snake-whip is, statwise, can you link me up?
Also, hrmnnn.. A warlock has an idea about their patron, if that is completely accurate is another thing.
However, due to the settings inner workings, I want a clarification on your characters death. It is quite.. vital, ironically. ^^
QuoteI had ideas about Zasesha's life before leaving to human lands I don't think I'll expand mine except to give more details her patron or her demise.

That is all good.. I have not approved her yet, but I enjoy what I see, so basically, answer the two things above and you're good to go... oh you know what, screw it, you promise to fill/clarify those soon and I'll Approve of the snek.

Azderal

Disdain for being revealed in conjunction with fighting for bitter life when confronted with lewdities leaves the character a bit teethering on the edge of 'too extreme'. I have to advice you to tread with caution in that regard. We're meeting for darker themes, yes.. but also erotica. Remember, that for a character to feel misery and despair, they also have to have hope. You propably know that too ofc, but it bears repeating.

Now, to dig into your backstory. I like the subtle implications, the literary devices, also, definitly a possibility of a character, a dark fate, that few dared to explore. To me, sounds like a deliberate attempt to make a broken soul, albeit by one not quite skilled enough for the process, to the characters luck.

The character sheet checks out in the 'WTF do they do' way psions do, either way.

As I said, be cautious about diving too deep into the darkness, however, I can see the work you put into your character, little choice but to.. Approve!
Feel free to post your character and make silly jokes in the OOC.

QuoteKinda hoping that concept gets approved. Having someone worse off than her to shake her out of complacency might be exactly what Merielle needs to not give in to brooding bullshit that could so easily turn her away from what she's supposed to be doing

You're welcome. :P

QuoteSeeing as lengthy backstories are seeming to become the norm, any chance I can redo Ellie's? Or I guess re-redo, since I cut stuff before posting it. If it gets too crazy long, I can just put a tl;dr section like William did, but I don't think it'll be that big?

Far be it from me to ever stop you from writing. The only thing large writeups carry as a caveat, here or IC is that they delay my responsening, by making me review and potentially respond longer myself.

QuoteAnyway I'd love to partake and get into the same boat but I deeply doubt Zashesa would be honest to anyone like ever, much less to a human.

An interesting story of either redemption.. or indulgance in ones own darkness, we will tell. Oh ohohoh *rubs hands enthusiastically*

Perra "Bearclaw" Baharoosh

I am still not satisfied with the backstory you send to me. Review my first posts suggestions and consider updating. I am happy to answer any unclarities.

This leaves us with four approved characters total, and three more in a considerative balance. I am quite eager to start this campaign proper within 48 hours, but for now, giving folks time to complete uncompleted characters and give last minute suggestions.

Also, pondering a song from -my- perspective.. hrmnn.. something for the OOC. ^^

Kathyan

Quote from: Deva on April 13, 2018, 02:40:45 PM
Ssezseehsa Zsistu "Zashesa"

We're all good on bestial things then, because you'll more face monsters with .. quasi sentience. Rping simple beasts is not overly interesting any way.
I dunno what a snake-whip is, statwise, can you link me up?
Also, hrmnnn.. A warlock has an idea about their patron, if that is completely accurate is another thing.
However, due to the settings inner workings, I want a clarification on your characters death. It is quite.. vital, ironically. ^^
That is all good.. I have not approved her yet, but I enjoy what I see, so basically, answer the two things above and you're good to go... oh you know what, screw it, you promise to fill/clarify those soon and I'll Approve of the snek.

Ok, glimpses of cleverness are cool. Simple Beasts are not only not interesting but a turn off for me, with a few exceptions made from time to time. :P

About the snake whip I just thought it'd be an interesting way to call it but it would be just a whip stat wise, I thought it would be a whip which masde out from a snake but it could also be just a whip which resembles a snake.

Her patron I havent given much thought to but the first that occurs to me is a living sword with a blade that waves live a snake, something like Ivy Valentine's sword from Soulcalibur.

And if you want clarification about her death, I assume about the identity of those who killed her, I think I'll go with bad luck and say they ambushed by brigands say hobgoblins. I would rather prefer that her disguising has been good enough as to lose any yuan-ti following her and say that it was not any criminal seeking revenge not only to avoid being incompetent in her job but also to not hold a grudge towards future criminals since we got a couple in the party.

Also do you any answer on what I asked about her armor?

Roleplay Frog

Ah, yes, the armor and the tricky question of giving you ideas without spoilering. Something I'ma hide from. I got a good enough idea of the character.

I'm ok with you dropping the lesser armors and your crossbow to get a better armor and focus more on the frontlines.

tuckers02

Yay!  I'm approved!

I'll move my character and responded in greater detail when I get home.  Not easy to type and format over phone.

Kathyan

Quote from: Deva on April 13, 2018, 04:07:56 PM
Ah, yes, the armor and the tricky question of giving you ideas without spoilering. Something I'ma hide from. I got a good enough idea of the character.

I'm ok with you dropping the lesser armors and your crossbow to get a better armor and focus more on the frontlines.
Nice, I'm gonna move my character to the appropriate thread then.

Roleplay Frog

William Blake

Diabolus Lupus

Perra "Bearclaw" Baharoosh

I am still not satisfied with the backstory you send to me. Review my first posts suggestions and consider updating. I am happy to answer any unclarities.

What is unsatisfactory about my backstory?

And which post/s are you referring to? The only post I found with 'suggestions' for my character specifically asked about expanding fetishes, which I figured was covered by being open to exploration to pretty much anything not on my dislikes list.

William Blake

tuckers02

Azderal

Disdain for being revealed in conjunction with fighting for bitter life when confronted with lewdities leaves the character a bit teethering on the edge of 'too extreme'. I have to advice you to tread with caution in that regard. We're meeting for darker themes, yes.. but also erotica. Remember, that for a character to feel misery and despair, they also have to have hope. You propably know that too ofc, but it bears repeating.

I wanted to point out where my mind is on this.  I don't see the disdain for being revealed is due to modesty or lewdness.  Azderal is okay with nakedness in general.  If anyone else is nude, it won't bother her.  Sex in itself holds no stigma with her.  Having no memory of civilized life, she doesn't understand the contempt with public nudity or sexuality that most sentients have.  As far as Az, if it doesn't hurt, if it feels good, then it makes her happy.  Not to mention that Zral is a total pervert and will say things that even Azderal would be too ashamed to say.  But since Zral is a figment of her imagination, that's more like her having the sense to not say what she's thinking.

That said, her disgust and insecurities center around her scars.  She hates her scars.  She wishes she could just get rid of them.  She'd cut them off if they wouldn't just make bigger scars.  That's what she's trying to hide.  She doesn't want to see them as they remind her of the torture she went through.  She doesn't want others to see them because she thinks they're ugly/hideous.  That is the reason she won't remove her hooded robe (which is all she wears since form fitting clothes like shirts and pants just don't feel right or comfortable).  So if someone tries to forcibly remove the robe or show undesirable attention toward them, that's when she'll fight to keep them covered.  But once the covering is removed, there's really nothing further to fight for.  And if she feels secure enough by those around her that her scars are not the vile taint that she currently believes they are, then she can be talked into baring those scars of her own accord...which is one of the goals I'm hoping will be achieved as the game progresses.

Now, to dig into your backstory. I like the subtle implications, the literary devices, also, definitly a possibility of a character, a dark fate, that few dared to explore. To me, sounds like a deliberate attempt to make a broken soul, albeit by one not quite skilled enough for the process, to the characters luck.

Thank you.  I worked hard on it and I wanted to do something different.  This was a lot of fun to do even though it was hard work.  The features, backstory, and random characteristics all intertwine and feed on each other to make the cohesive character.  The harrowing event I had already decided what that was going to be.  But the quirk, personality trait, ideal, bond, flaw, and trinket were all rolled randomly (I admit I did switch the results for the bond and flaw because the bond I rolled couldn't work with the character concept).  I then had to come up with a specific reason why each of those manifested in Azderal for the background.  My favorite was the quirk, the imaginary companion, and so I created Zral and why he existed.  I'm still working on integrating the watch somehow.  I also used the background to decide which stats were my dump stats and then decide why they were the dump stats.  Even the Disciplines and skills I chose were RP choices over benefits.  The Adaptive Body powers are pretty useless at low levels but the focus fit the character concept.  Also there are better Disciplines than Crown of Disgust but that fit best with her background.

I tried to keep what exactly happened to her vague for several reasons.  First, it's already dark.  I didn't want to go even darker by going into detail.  Second, she doesn't talk about what happened.  The only two that know what actually happened is Azderal and the Chain Devil.  One can speculate what happened to her by the scars and her behavior, but whether that speculation is true or not can only be validated by those two.  Third, This is not about what happened to her.  That was just a means to an end.  This story is about who she is now and who she will become despite her history.

I don't want to speculate about the Chain Devil's motives.  For one, it really doesn't matter.  At least it doesn't to Azderal.  What was done, yes.  Why, not really.  It was done, it's over, knowing why really won't change anything.  And also, it keeps the limitation to the DM to a minimum.  If the DM chooses to bring that NPC into the game, he doesn't have to worry about trying to match my personal idea of it.  I mean, other than being a Chain Devil that kept Azderal captive and tortured her, there's no real detail about it...though I did elude to it being a 'him' in her background but that can be easily explained away as her madness and Deva could make it a female, futa, genderless, or could change reproductive organs at will.  Maybe the Chain Devil had a cloaca.

The character sheet checks out in the 'WTF do they do' way psions do, either way.

Yeah, I had to read through the mystic class a few times to get a good understanding of it myself.  But once you get through all the convoluted wordiness, it's fairly simple to compare it to other classes, mostly spell casters.

Psi Points: Every level has a certain number of psi points (pp) a day.  2nd level has 6.  Each level also has a limit that tells the maximum number of pp for one power.  2nd level has 2.  So I can use 1 point per power 6 times a day, 2 points per power 3 times a day, or mix and match.  But I can't use 3 points on a power because my limit is 2.  At 3rd level, I get 14 pp per day and have a limit of 3.  One of my features also allows me to heal 1 HP for every PP I use up to maximum HP so every time I use a power I heal myself.

Talents: Talents are basically the same thing as Cantrips.  They are at-will and don't use PP.  I know a certain number of them per level.

Disciplines: I get a certain number of Disciplines each level.  At 2nd level I get 3.  At 3rd level I'll get 4.  Each Discipline has a focus and a list of powers.
I'll go over the powers first.  Every Discipline has a power that uses 2 or less pp, one that uses 3 pp, one that uses 5 pp, then there are some that use 6 or even 7 pp.  That means I can only use the powers that are 2 or less at 2nd level and won't be able to use the ones that are 3 or more until I gain the appropriate level.

Some powers have a set number of PP  You use that amount of PP to activate the power and it has a static effect.  For example, I can use 2 of my 6 PP to activate 'Environmental Adaptation'.  Then for the next hour, the creature I touched ignores extreme heat or cold (but not fire or cold damage).

Some powers have a varying number of PP.  The more PP I use, the more powerful the power.  For example, Mend Wounds has 1-7psi.  That means I can use either 1 or 2 PP to activate it at 2nd level, or 1, 2 or 3 at 3rd level.  Every PP I use increases the amount healed by 1d8.  So 1d8 hp using 1 point, 2d8 using 2 point, and so on.  This is similar to preparing 'Cure Wounds' in higher level spell slots to make it more powerful.

Focuses:  Each Discipline has a focus.  A focus is like a feature, an ability that is always active and doesn't use PP or concentration.  The difference is that you can only have one focus active at a time and you have to use a bonus action to change your focus.

For example, I have 3 focuses for the 3 Disciplines I have.  I can only have one active at a time but can change which one is active on my turn as a bonus action.  So most of the time I'll have the Adaptive Body focus active which makes it so I don't have to eat, breath, or sleep.  When we enter a battle, I'll switch to the Crown of Disgust focus which makes every square within 5' of me difficult terrain for any enemy that isn't immune to being frightened.  If someone falls below 0 hit points and is dying, I'll activate my Psionic Restoration to stabilize them with a touch.  Then the next turn I'll switch back to the Crown of Disgust, then after the battle I'll switch back to the Adaptive Body.

Next level I'll get a 4th Discipline so I'll have 4 focuses to switch between.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on April 13, 2018, 05:54:46 PM
What is unsatisfactory about my backstory?

And which post/s are you referring to? The only post I found with 'suggestions' for my character specifically asked about expanding fetishes, which I figured was covered by being open to exploration to pretty much anything not on my dislikes list.

I am referring to my very first post, the one that describes the setting and more impotantly contains code for a backstory in which I make clear what I want your backstory to tell me about your character, if however you want a detailed answer:
In the pm you send me, you adequately describe your characters growing up and their strength, but pay little attention to their motivations beyond revenge. Now, revenge alone as driving force can work.. but not for a CG character.
You don't express their hopes and fears, nor do you give a reason for their eventual failing. You don't even devote a word to how they felt, having their entire village destroyed (presumambly as a child?) and being raised by strangers. Did they feel like they didn't belong? Did they embrace it all the more to cope? I don't even mind the generic backstory, of a doomed hometown, set out to take revenge on the doome' but between this and you simply posting your character when I asked for more detail before, I am growing convinced that you are either unable or unwilling to pay closer attention to what I write. Unsuprising this does not bode well for a future roleplay with me as your DM. I will give you one last attempt to impress me with a story that tells me what a character Perra is, if you want to take it.

QuoteAzderal is okay with nakedness in general.  If anyone else is nude, it won't bother her.  Sex in itself holds no stigma with her.  Having no memory of civilized life, she doesn't understand the contempt with public nudity or sexuality that most sentients have.  As far as Az, if it doesn't hurt, if it feels good, then it makes her happy.  Not to mention that Zral is a total pervert and will say things that even Azderal would be too ashamed to say.

This helps alleviate my concerns, thanks. I was marginally misunderstanding her there.

High level healing magic could actually fix 'em scars up too, but we're likely beyond that scope as lvl 2's for now. *chuckles*

QuoteThis was a lot of fun to do even though it was hard work.

I can tell.
It reads to me as if you excell in restricting creativity, haven't often seen folks make use of those random backround roll things, less so as more than a 'ok I rolled it, done with that' deal, but they seem to work for ya. ^^
Don't you worry about the watch, that thing sounded like something for me to pounce on on first read, similiar to cross-dressing-cowboys dead man walking thing and bad-day-elfs secret desire for a heroic tale. (Until I played with you for a few days and properly memorized them names you'll get codenames. Yours is 'torture-deluxe'. Just as with Cross dressing cowboy, Ellie?.. err. anyway, don't expect a sacrifice of rp over build going to waste.. though I first need a better idea of how 5.0 psions do in a party with your setup. ^^

QuoteThird, This is not about what happened to her.  That was just a means to an end.  This story is about who she is now and who she will become despite her history.

Nothing to do but nod there. I do have to respect you putting that work into setting up a character yet being clearly aware of the purpose of a backstory.

QuoteMaybe the Chain Devil had a cloaca.

Well just for that one I'm -so- tempted to reveal one of the settings driving aspects to you.. but not yet. *chuckles* The way I set up my world, I can use anything and nothing from the characters worlds as I please. Yes, your ultimate trial could be a fight with your literal old Devil.. but that would be too easy, we both know that. *winks*

Also, was half joking about the psion, not that I mind your explanation, haven't seen much of them in the fifth, but I was one of the few DM's/Players that enjoyed psions in 3.5 and pathfinder, for their refreshing value alone. If a group of players seemed in unrest and too experienced with the generic spellcaster devil whathave you enemy, drop in a psion, it'll either make them worry about or angry at the villain.. either is a win for me.

*Flails a bit* tinkered out the first post in my head already... don't blame me if I put up a first post already, we do have four and... *nodponders* Its easy to have people wake up a moment later than others.