Looking for input on a potential way to structure a group game

Started by Fenrisulfr, July 14, 2014, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenrisulfr

I have poking around on some ideas on how to run a shared universe for collaborative writing. When it comes to forum roleplaying, I feel I end up a bit burned out and my muse runs into hiding.

So I thought that perhaps the progression could be managed on a more general level. Then the writing is done based on that progression, instead of the stories leading the progression. This way, the risk of the group getting stuck because someone are busy with something taking a lot of posts/time to write, or not having a lot of time to be online.

So my primary questions:
* Anything that is unclear (or actually, what parts are unclear ;D )?
* Anyone perceiving any potential problems with this?
* Any suggestions that might improve this?
* Any other thoughts or comments?

The group game would be structured in this way:
Threads:
Event planning (sort of time line planning)
Story planning (where the actually stories are hashed out)
OOC and Other types of planning
One Story thread per Player, where the finished stories are posted.

On Elluiki:
Time line
Characters
Collaborated stories in progress

All stories are third person past tense, but limited to the POV of one character. The same event can be written from the POV of several characters, but each will be written as a separate story. This could be of course be handled differently (or not at all if no one feel any need of a similar style).

The events are either from a player suggestion "these characters will do this, which will result in that", from a player mention what the characters are attempting as in "these characters will attempt to overthrow X", or something in between. All players can pitch in with suggestions and opinions if it fits the overall theme. But the GM/GMs have the final say.

The players can write stories around any established significant event or any insignificant event, past or present. The story can be solo written, or done done together with other participants.

A character can be restricted or public.

A restricted character is "owned" by a player (or the GMs), which mean what that character do and how they react is up to that player. The player should have some instructions on how the character thinks, reacts and what plans the character has; in case the the player is on any form of hiatus.

A public character is characters that are to be used freely. Probably mainly minor characters that happens to reoccur often enough. But they can also be important characters someone have made and are responsible for, but the player wants to see what other players do with it.

While creating an actual story post, the "Story planning" thread can be used while hashing out the actual story if collaborating with someone on the writing, and the WIKI can be used to write and edit it together.

A story post don't has to be a collaborated writing, even if it contains restricted character owned by someone else, as long the players involved can agree on how to handle the character.

As it is several separate stories, the common denominator has to be set to what everyone in the group game can consider reading. But each player can have a more limited set of what they might consider writing.

Some miscellaneous thoughts:
* Perhaps the story posts should be posted within a spoiler tag, so the story threads won't be unmanageable long. This also gives the benefit of being able to tag a story, as while a participant might be fine reading something, they might want to not just stumble over it.
* Someone what a limited amount of available time can just keep to a few characters and participating in the event progression; while someone with a lot of time to spend can write on several stories within the setting.