News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

Quote from: Samael on December 23, 2015, 07:03:07 AM
Hey guys, need a little help.

I am currently looking for good/fun online co-op games on steam.
Any suggestions?

We have "Sonic All-star Racing transformed", "Don't Starve Together", "Saints Row IV" and the "Trine 1 + 2" games.

Looking for more in the vein of those.

Do you and your teammates enjoy any sort of genre or games in particular aside from those?

Blythe

Currently playing:
* Kingdom Rush (essentially a tower defense game, very fun and addicting)
* Black Closet (interactive visual novel, although the skill/dice mechanics push it into 'game' territory for me)
* Qvadriga (very small chariot racing game).

Samael

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 23, 2015, 01:22:50 PM
Do you and your teammates enjoy any sort of genre or games in particular aside from those?

Games with a Puzzle touch are usually preferred, although we'd take a look at pretty much everything.

Just as long as it's coop, and not pvp, or such.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Revelation

Quote from: Samael on December 23, 2015, 03:13:38 PM
Games with a Puzzle touch are usually preferred, although we'd take a look at pretty much everything.

Just as long as it's coop, and not pvp, or such.

Some coop games I play with friends or I have heard good things about

Warhammer: Vermintide (Plays almost exactly like Left 4 dead but with a focus on melee combat, 4 players)
Portal 2 (has a coop campaign)
Borderlands 2/presequel (I liked 2 more, but its up to 4 player coop FPS/Diabloish game)
Helldivers (A madcap top down shooter where you have to complete objectives with your teammates. Part of the appeal is that things can get kind of crazy, and while there is no PvP, friendly fire is turned off, and you are expected to die by your teammates or from yourself a lot, be it being caught by friendly fire, getting in the bullet path of your own turrets, or blowing yourself up with a grenade amongst other tragically fatal but hilarious deaths)
Risk of rain (2d sprite based beatemup of sorts, has online coop and a generally frantic, frenzied pace as the difficulty gets higher the longer you play. A+ soundtrack)
Castle Crashers (Arcade style beat em up)

The only real puzzle game is portal 2 amongst those, however.

Samael

Quote from: Changingsaint on December 23, 2015, 04:12:37 PM
Some coop games I play with friends or I have heard good things about

Warhammer: Vermintide (Plays almost exactly like Left 4 dead but with a focus on melee combat, 4 players)
Portal 2 (has a coop campaign)
Borderlands 2/presequel (I liked 2 more, but its up to 4 player coop FPS/Diabloish game)
Helldivers (A madcap top down shooter where you have to complete objectives with your teammates. Part of the appeal is that things can get kind of crazy, and while there is no PvP, friendly fire is turned off, and you are expected to die by your teammates or from yourself a lot, be it being caught by friendly fire, getting in the bullet path of your own turrets, or blowing yourself up with a grenade amongst other tragically fatal but hilarious deaths)
Risk of rain (2d sprite based beatemup of sorts, has online coop and a generally frantic, frenzied pace as the difficulty gets higher the longer you play. A+ soundtrack)
Castle Crashers (Arcade style beat em up)

The only real puzzle game is portal 2 amongst those, however.

First, big thank you for taking the time to list up these games.
I really appreciate it.

I forgot that we have Portal 2 as well (and had a lot of fun with it).

I may give the Borderland games a look.
I imagine they could be a lot of fun played as coop.
I only remember having played the first one, so that may be a choice.

If you find anything else, let me know ;)

Remiel

Quote from: Samael on December 23, 2015, 07:03:07 AM
Hey guys, need a little help.

I am currently looking for good/fun online co-op games on steam.
Any suggestions?

We have "Sonic All-star Racing transformed", "Don't Starve Together", "Saints Row IV" and the "Trine 1 + 2" games.

Looking for more in the vein of those.

Battleblock Theater is a good one to play with a friend.  It requires cooperation, teamwork, and good reflexes.   Also the narration is hilarious.

Trine 3 is out, I think they have all the bugs patched by now.

Samael

Quote from: Remiel on December 23, 2015, 05:11:43 PM
Battleblock Theater is a good one to play with a friend.  It requires cooperation, teamwork, and good reflexes.   Also the narration is hilarious.

Trine 3 is out, I think they have all the bugs patched by now.

Hm, Battleblock isn't really the style I'd go for, but I add on the "maybe" list.

Definitely going to give Trine 3 a look though.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Sara Nilsson

Dungeon Defenders is a fun co op game :) (pick the first one though, it is better then the sequel)

SinXAzgard21

The Forest.  Beautiful game about you surviving a plane crash only to be put on the menu by naked infected cannibals.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on December 23, 2015, 09:34:55 AM
Downloaded a bunch of virtual console games on my Wii U, so fucking happy they put Donkey Kong 64 on there, and replaced the originally removed Donkey Kong Country 1-3 games. So stoked about my nostalgic era games being available again! It's not even that hard to get into the control scheme with the Wii U game pad.

Also downloaded the Gameboy Advance game Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap. I don't remember it being as difficult to figure out where to go or what to do the first time I played it, but this time around, it is incredibly unclear on what needs to be done to unlock the next objectives. Good thing I have net access, or I'd be stuck permanently.

Little Oni has played the cartridge version, so I checked with her.  She said that in that version, the keys were to use the map and listen to Elzazio.  The worst that she had to deal with was when you go to get the Wind element thingy, and it isn't there, so the game redirects you.  (It's possible that there are differences between the virtual console game and the cartridge version, so I'm putting this up for comparison.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

That Dragon, Cancer

This game....its beautiful and painful..ive literally spent the last thirty minutes crying.

I feel like I need to go find my nearest redcross and donate blood, to empty all the money I have to St. Jude's...I don't know how much to say about this game but its painful and yet I almost want to recommend it.

It explores Faith realistically and shows us how..life should be loved. It doesn't matter who or what we are...we are here for so little time, life is painful and ends...but all we really need is Love.

Now I'm going to go cry some more...maybe see if my church is doing another Blood Drive soon.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 15, 2016, 12:10:50 PM
That Dragon, Cancer

This game....its beautiful and painful..ive literally spent the last thirty minutes crying.

I feel like I need to go find my nearest redcross and donate blood, to empty all the money I have to St. Jude's...I don't know how much to say about this game but its painful and yet I almost want to recommend it.

It explores Faith realistically and shows us how..life should be loved. It doesn't matter who or what we are...we are here for so little time, life is painful and ends...but all we really need is Love.

Now I'm going to go cry some more...maybe see if my church is doing another Blood Drive soon.
Don't need to play that game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Inkidu on January 15, 2016, 09:22:02 PM

*Finished crying* I actually feel good.. I would reccomend it but I guess I spoiled the game abit didn't I?

Yeah only play it if you are in the mood for tears.

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Inkidu on January 15, 2016, 09:22:02 PM

Actually actively blocked it from popping up on my steam queue.  :-\
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

DudelRok

My local store is awesome! Found a copy of Mega Man Legends, he sold it to me for $20! (Missing booklet, so got it for disk-only price + my discount for just being a regular.)

Still trying to DESPERATELY power through FFX... I'm finding it to be one of my least favorite, just above FF1 and FF4 at the bottom, maybe...

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Inkidu

Quote from: DudelRok on January 30, 2016, 12:01:16 AM
FF4 at the bottom, maybe...
Sir, if you say that Final Fantasy XII or XIII is at your top with IV being near the bottom, you and I are going to have a conversation. -__-

Just kidding.

OT: No, I really haven't played any good games lately, at least ones I haven't already played. I have a very particular itch for a genre that's not really being scratched.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Skynet

I clocked in nearly 80 hours of Metal Gear Solid V, and nearly done the main story.  I had a great run, but things are starting to feel repetitive in places and I'm glad that we're building up to a finale.  It was a great run, and well worth the money.

I plan on trying out the Witcher next.

Oreo

I am down to the last chapter of Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. I almost want to stop playing because then I will have to choose something else to play and this has been so good. *sigh* Loads of story, and I never thought I would enjoy going back to school, but I did.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Do games that we've watched other people play count?

Three that have popped up on my radar recently:

Space Engineers - an exploration/building game involving space travel.  Not much in the line of story, definitely a 'Player vs. Environment' thing, but looks fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Crashlands - a very cute 'Don't Starve' sort of thing with quests and monsters.  The story of an interplanetary package delivery team who just wanted to get the mail delivered and ends up fighting this evil floating head dude.

Dying Light - This one is back on my radar since there's an expansion (sequel?) coming out soon and the YT crowd is all over it.  Dying Light is a zombie-infestation story where your character is trying to find information on a cure.  In the original, it's definitely a scientific cure - not so clear in the sequel.  Lots of parkour, crafting, scavenging, negotiating with other characters and the like.  Not a lot of heavy weaponry - mostly melee weapons.  Plenty of story to go around on this one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ChefofDreams

I just picked up Skyrim again, I love how it just pulls me back in every few months still. I am playing a Khajiit unarmed fighter and healer in heavy armor, makes it pretty fun class to try out.
Slowly it burns.

Mathim

I just picked up Aliens: Colonial Marines and Aliens Vs. Predator. Huge difference between the two, but what I can say is that whatever was wrong with Colonial Marines, they more or less fixed in AVP. For one thing, you no longer die in one hit from a hostile's attack and you have a melee move to push them off you if you need to reload or get a better shot. What I still hate is that it's always so fucking dark you can barely tell what's going on and there is no lock-on command so you're just shooting erratically at whatever you can hope to hit, and when it comes to facehuggers, that small-ass target is so scurrilous it almost makes it impossible. Also in Colonial Marines, you don't immediately have access to play as the aliens (or maybe I missed something...if not, though, then HUGE flaw not being able to play as either or from the start.) AVP lets you choose whichever of the three you want, and now that I'm kind of sick of the Marines campaign, I'm going to try my hand at being a Predator next. I just hope it's more about combat and killing and not just a bunch of slow, tedious stealth crap, I hate games like that.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Beorning

Okay, I have a question:

Last time I played anything, it was Skyrim, then Mass Effect 1 & 2 (I actually still have to finish the second one). I wasn't paying attention to games in the last few years, so I don't know if anything worthwhile came out since, say... 2008.

So, *did* anything interesting come out? I'd be especially interested in RPGs, horror-themed games and something like the old adventure games (are point-and-click adventure games still being made)?

Oniya

Last year or so?  You might check out an indie producer named Scott Cawthon.  Could be what you're looking for.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on February 15, 2016, 10:46:06 PM
Last year or so?  You might check out an indie producer named Scott Cawthon.  Could be what you're looking for.
You know I've only played eight minutes of the first game. You think you like horror games, you think you like being scared. I realized much of my bravery ends when confronted with an overnight stay in a Chuck-E-Cheese analogue.

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Beorning on February 15, 2016, 08:08:11 PM
Okay, I have a question:

Last time I played anything, it was Skyrim, then Mass Effect 1 & 2 (I actually still have to finish the second one). I wasn't paying attention to games in the last few years, so I don't know if anything worthwhile came out since, say... 2008.

So, *did* anything interesting come out? I'd be especially interested in RPGs, horror-themed games and something like the old adventure games (are point-and-click adventure games still being made)?

RPGs? Play the Witchers. You can play the first one on a potato.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night