The Children of Mother Earth (open recruitment)

Started by mj2002, July 31, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishWolf

Could we get some more information about the Great Baden Empire mj2002?

Have there been recent wars for the empire? Are these wars over and the expedition ships the best was for military officers to advance their careers? Or are there still threats of wars close to the Fatherland but these expeditions the best chance at adventure?

Could you better define the weapons tech? 1780-1840 saw a lot of development for firearms, from flintlock, to percussion cap to even needle guns, (which were the first bolt actions firearms, with paper cartridges). Pistols went from single shot, to multiple shot pepper-box pistols and revolvers.

Does the dictator have a name and titles (Emperor, General of the Armies, Supreme General, Grand Marshal, ect ect ect)?

Colored uniforms or grey?

mj2002

Quote from: IrishWolf on August 01, 2013, 05:39:40 PM
Could we get some more information about the Great Baden Empire mj2002?

Have there been recent wars for the empire? Are these wars over and the expedition ships the best was for military officers to advance their careers? Or are there still threats of wars close to the Fatherland but these expeditions the best chance at adventure?

Could you better define the weapons tech? 1780-1840 saw a lot of development for firearms, from flintlock, to percussion cap to even needle guns, (which were the first bolt actions firearms, with paper cartridges). Pistols went from single shot, to multiple shot pepper-box pistols and revolvers.

Does the dictator have a name and titles (Emperor, General of the Armies, Supreme General, Grand Marshal, ect ect ect)?

Colored uniforms or grey?
The Baden Empire hasn't been at war very recently, but its existence is the result of wars among the new start up factions of former Europe. Their only neighbor that I am aware of is the British Empire, which is significantly smaller and less powerful. This would probably be the only threat nearby, but they are not at war as far as I am aware. They're more focused on trade, mostly with Kanada and what's left of America.

Expedition ships aren't necessarily good for the careers of the officers/marines, but they do offer a chance to explore the world and get away from the Empire for those who don't really like the place. The Baden Empire though has trouble with its environment as they have exhausted most of the raw materials. They're looking to expand and the expeditions are the first step.

I'd better define the weapons technology for you, but my knowledge of this is simply limited. What they have on board are flintlock rifles and multishot pistols. As I said before, it's an exploration mission so their armament in limited. They do however have an onboard cannon that could probably do significant damage. Again, my knowledge is limited here. More advanced than those you see on sail warships but less advanced than World War 1 stuff.

I'm going to go with grey uniforms still, sorry. ^^

mj2002

No applications? I thought there was some interest, oh well.

IrishWolf

Well I have two characters planned out but with no one else throwing up character profiles, it doesn't seem worth the time to write them up. Sorry mj2002.

Scribbles

Sorry, wasn't aware it was open for apps yet. Will get started, just need to decide on a charry. I want someone with a practical role, which can be applied during the course of the RP, but the jobs seem to blend a little. For example, a mayoress sounds as if she'd work a little as a councillor/advisor, along with any other influential characters. Am I understanding this correctly?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on August 04, 2013, 03:31:44 AM
For example, a mayoress sounds as if she'd work a little as a councillor/advisor, along with any other influential characters. Am I understanding this correctly?
Yes you are. When someone holds an important position, they're automatically considered (naturally fall into the role of) as advisers/councillors, etc. They'll be asked to assist the more influential people, etc.
Quote from: IrishWolf on August 04, 2013, 03:27:39 AM
Well I have two characters planned out but with no one else throwing up character profiles, it doesn't seem worth the time to write them up. Sorry mj2002.
Someone has to be the first though.

eiselmann

Name1: Anders Mueller
Role: Commanding Officer

Background: Born into a wealthy and regionally powerful family in Baden, he is the third son and fourth child of Gert and Heidi. When he was four his mothers sister Elke married the Great Leader propelling the family into one of the most powerful families in the Empire. Anders went to the best schools and at sixteen joined Military College and graduated two years later. Joining the Kriegesmarine. Official performance reports for the next four years show that he was an extremely high performer in all aspects of his duty, the preformance reports made by a representative of the Great leader(no one in the regiment knows this person exists amongst them) shows a generally high performing officer with strong tactical ability, solid planning capability but poor strategic , more feared than respected. Politically reliable.

At 22 Anders was moved to Military Headquarters and served as a staff officer for the Commander of the Kriegesmarinetrained in this role he excelled , his official and secret performance reports almost matched.  At 37 he married Kristiana Von Holstein a 19 year old beauty. They now have two children three year old Elke and two year old Karl-Heinz.

Anders treats his wife with love and respect however he has access to elite clubs where women are available for use , he prefers his women compliant but has no issue breaking them he has an extremely high sex drive requiring multiple women to keep him satisfied.   

Personality: Is calm rational and presents a happy face to the men, but he misses little forgives less and has no issue destroying careers , he is feared rather than respected and is certainly not loved , of course none show that side to him.

People know his link to the Leader and are wary of it , High rank officers however cultivate his favour because while he can't just walk into his Uncles office without an appointment...he can get an appointment when so many can't , plus he has full access during private family events.

260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

mj2002

TheDreadPirateRoberts

I think this sounds pretty interesting, is the role of the rulers son still open?

mj2002

MagicalPen has expressed interest in this role as well, but so far he hasn't posted a character sheet. First come first serve.

Qt

I'm interested though it might take me time to think up what I would like to play.

mj2002

Quote from: Qt on August 06, 2013, 03:29:14 PM
I'm interested though it might take me time to think up what I would like to play.
That's alright, I don't think anyone here is in a great hurry.

Scribbles

Still trying to come up with a nice character myself, I'm currently leaning toward a tavern/inn owner. That or an experienced tracker/huntress or an influential mill owner/councillor (if that's possible).
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

mj2002

Quote from: Scribbles on August 07, 2013, 01:08:46 PM
Still trying to come up with a nice character myself, I'm currently leaning toward a tavern/inn owner. That or an experienced tracker/huntress or an influential mill owner/councillor (if that's possible).
All those sound good to me, though female trackers/huntresses are somewhat uncommon, still you can do that without any issue. Councillors are good too, mayors, port mistress are all good as well. If you really want to go for an influential position, there's room in the ruling family for basically any role you could want.

SugarAndSpice

This sounds really interesting and I have an idea for a possible characters. Quick question though before I put my character up, what do you consider to be an acceptable post length for this?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 07, 2013, 03:05:05 PM
This sounds really interesting and I have an idea for a possible characters. Quick question though before I put my character up, what do you consider to be an acceptable post length for this?
This depends on the situation. Generally, I like to go with posts that are 2-3 paragraphs long (or more if you feel so inclined) but sometimes shorter posts work best in conversations or simply when the contents of a post don't represent a long time frame.

SugarAndSpice

Thanks :) Give me a bit of time and I will put up a character, I'm thinking of a harbour mistress, can I pick a particular harbour town or is there somewhere specific you'd like?

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 07, 2013, 03:18:20 PM
Thanks :) Give me a bit of time and I will put up a character, I'm thinking of a harbour mistress, can I pick a particular harbour town or is there somewhere specific you'd like?
Assuming the expedition arrives at the Southern most point of the island, the position of harbor mistress/mayor of Julianhab would make sense. This character plays an important role as she will likely be the first leading figure to come in contact with the foreigners. As such, she'll be considered somewhat of an expert from then on, assuming she wants to take that role, and be dragged into the plot as it unfolds.

SugarAndSpice

Name: Agnete De Vann
Role:  Harbour Mistress of Julianhab

Background: Agnete's family has always been part of the fabric of Julianhab, her first memories are of standing at the very front of one of her family's fishing boats and not being scared because she could swim "better than a fish" as her mother said. Her strong head for business and managing people meant it was no surprise to anyone that Agnete rose to the rank of Harbour mistress. She married her husband Bjarke when she was 23, and he helps run her family's still thriving fishing business. They have a  nine year old daughter Carina.

Personality: Though she is shrewd and some what aloof at the business table. Outside ofoffice hours Agnete is warm and friendly. She loves her family and enjoys her work, especially when she gets to talk with the traders from Kanada, many of whom she is good friends with. She also thinks that society should start to show a little more faith in men, if they can prove themselves on a fair ground.

(Let me know what you think :) )

mj2002

Looks good! Don't get too carried away with the business atmosphere though, it's somewhat of a communist utopia still. ^^

SugarAndSpice

I understand but there is still an element of organisation and management :) I'll keep an eye on this thread so I know when we start playing :) I have to go now, talk soon.

mj2002

Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 07, 2013, 03:53:14 PM
I understand but there is still an element of organisation and management :) I'll keep an eye on this thread so I know when we start playing :) I have to go now, talk soon.
Don't worry about it, just giving a heads up!

SugarAndSpice

I've been thinking about this and I have a couple of questions. Can women be a member of The Rangers? Also is there any indication of authority in what people wear? I was thinking an equivalent to a mayoral chain. Also how do you think the towns would be set out, I have an idea myself, of things being very communal (kitchens, crèches etc), centred around the harbour, I also had an idea that the harbour mistress (whoever she is) moves into a specific house in town, which is quite grand by Thule standards but not by Baden. Also attitude towards pets? Thoughts?

mj2002

It's not common for women to be part of the Rangers, though I don't really see a reason why to make an exception. There would have to be some kind of explanation for it in the character's biography, though. As for the towns, think a little more medieval, ancient Greece. There's no need for crèches, as there's  enough time for the parents to take care of their children. If not, a neighbor would be willing to look after them. As for kitchens, I would imagine that every citizen is able to live comfortably enough not to have to go to a communal kitchen. If you're looking for avenues of interaction with other citizens, think more along the lines of parks and the harbor. A city on the coast is usually centered around it's harbor, unless there's something else of great importance in that town (I can't really think of anything at this time), as fishing is a rather important part of the country's economy.

The harbor mistress would most likely move into a different house, perhaps one close by the harbor itself in order to be close to her office. Thule doesn't have classes other than the ruling family though, so an exceptionally large house would be frowned upon. As for pets, I would imagine dogs and cats are  the norm, but wilder animals wouldn't be allowed as domesticated animals.

If you have other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them!

SugarAndSpice

Thanks mj, that's helpful, I was asking about The Rangers because I was thinking Agnete's daughter wants to join them when she's older, or shows an aptitude for their kind of work.