3 players wanted for Western Horror Fantasy

Started by Ixy, June 19, 2016, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonDoom

Everyone did, kind of. In my case I just said reviving an old character, so I figure I'll step away for the others who actually said the specifics from the start.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

nailcrosser

Sent a version of this to Ixy, have made minor changes:

Name: Ray McCallister
Concept: Traveling Missionary and Exorcist
Amazing abilities: Can perform minor miracles through prayer, i.e. turn sand into water, heal wounds, burn demons/undead/monsters on touch, revive people momentarily. Has prophetic visions and speaks to the dead in dreams.
Brief summary: When Ray turned 21, he kissed his family goodbye. The prophet of their commune received word from their god: Ray was destined to leave home, spread the word of the lord, and banish evil from the land. It's been two years, and Ray's faith is worn down. For every victory, there are ten failures. Temptation lurks in every crack of his continually fractured being. He keeps to himself but is clearly a fish out of water in the world of the wicked. He hopes to return to his family once he has made a dent in the forces of damnation, but, so far, the dent has been made in himself. His desire for sex, violence, and vice builds within. Watching bad men die is cathartic, pleasurable. The flesh of whores compels him to do vile, savage things. His devotion to his god is skirting on a razor's edge. Ray's intentions are good, he will help and provide salvation whenever he can. But the day where he is consumed by carnal and primal urges looms ever near.

Ray tries to find the best in people and won't raise a gun to an innocent man (yet). His mission has taken its toll but he is still more or less the kind-hearted farm boy from a peaceful haven in the mountains. He is inspired by the protagonist characters in Dogs in the Vineyard, Cotton Mather from the TV show Salem, with a little Constantine, Jonah Hex, and Jesse Custer from Preacher thrown in to inspire his powers. His role in the story can go a number of ways, though I would like him to engage in some debauchery. He comes from a commune founded by the Followers of Sekt, an ancient religion that is heavily mistrusted and misconstrued in modern civilization. The wild west is the perfect setting for the Followers to thrive and open new minds to their ways.

Ixy

I'm really torn by the concepts here.  Any preferences for groups would be accepted via PM. 

Right now, I would have group potentially shaping up in my mind.  I don't mean to exclude anyone, and there's room to expand.  For one, Captain Whitebread, I love the idea of John.  I'm just not sure how to introduce him yet.  If you tell me a little more about where he's from and what he's like, I think I can work him in easily... otherwise if you have an idea, throw it out there. Von Doom-- still listening, let it out.  Hairy, Curvy, Aida, and all others I didn't mention by name: still listening, like I said.  Put ideas on the table and we'll talk.

What we do need from all players is a post a week and be ready to move forward-- if you can't keep pace for whatever reason, I'll try to keep it moving and will do my best not to godmode your character in any way you wouldn't want.  No player should godmode another character or NPC unless the other player or ST indicates "go with X outcome if you like", in which case it's not bad gaming-- it's just writing :)

Proposed intros and tie-ins... feedback appreciated, this story is as much yours as mine.

Purgatory, New Mexico. 

Ray McCallister: Traveling 'Preacher' of a Questioned God 

Wandered, or called, to purgatory by way of Oklahoma the trail of faithful along the mountain roads.  Where he didn't find the shrines, he found the mad leading the way with their call... like their prayers themselves were blighted.

Leanna Fairburn: The Ghost with No Grave

The road has led here, paved with corpses and fragments of testament scrawled in pockets, whispers of names in the wind.  Who would have thought that the murder of a rancher family would have been so... complicated?  Where others were slain for their money, their cattle, or simply for sport, her hunt for her family's killers-- and her own, for that matter-- hint at someone, or something, named Sauvage.

N'emea: The Cat of Blades

Adventure awaits! Without a doubt, something is amiss in the sagebrush deserts of New Mexico, and the people that live there seem to whisper of it.  The cavalry rides this way, and the people here eagerly await a hero-- but against what?

Captain Whitebread

The song lyrics tell it all.

He's originally from New Orleans and is running from a murder charge.  He's quite and shy except when he's drinking.  Then he becomes loud and boisterous.  When drunk he likes to gamble and his temper get the better of him.  It was when he was drunk that he killed somebody over a woman.  That's why he doesn't drink anymore.   Now he just digs in his silver mine and comes in to town weekly to sell whatever he's managed to dig up and to buy supplies.  He tries to avoid the taverns and brothels and mostly he succeeds.
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

Kadigan

Looking forward to the game. Is there a start date, a seperate board, etc etc standard questions.

Ixy

Glad to hear it :)  I will start a thread once we get confirmation from everyone, and I'd really like to get first posts up by 7/8 or 7/9 if possible.  That is, of course, assuming that the participants work out.

Captain-- There are certainly a couple of silver mines in the area that would make for a reasonable tie-in.  Give me a few hours tonight and we'll see.

Captain Whitebread

His is just a small one.  It might make for an interesting plot twist if he's mining the other end of a vein than somebody else has staked out.

nailcrosser

All good on my end. It'll be good to have a silver miner on the team. We could finagle some silver bullets, blades, symbols, etc.

Captain Whitebread