What ever happened to...?

Started by Lancis, May 12, 2005, 01:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lancis

Seasame Street went healthy...

geez, cookie monster has to eat granola bars and oscar is on a no trash diet...

I guess that is the kind of thing that happens when Disney takes over.. that's right Disney owns the muppets (frightening isn't it?)

Brian Henson decided that he couldn't make the revenue needed to keep the Muppet's in the family name so he took Disney's offer, (which included keeping Seasame St on Public Broadcasting thankfully.)

But I am not sure if cookie monster eating cookies made kids want to eat cookies.. thats kind of like when those kids blamed Beavis and Butthead for wanting to start fires...

Or YEARS and YEARS ago (god i feel old) The parents blaming Dungeons and Dragons and Gary Gygax for kids getting high and stabbing each other with wooden swords...

I started my interest in gaming with "Choose your own adventure." books. These books had a story in which you had many choices, (like 3 or 4) for specific story lines... some you'd die or get lost, some would move you on deeper into the story, pity is they no longer make or print these books.

Anyway just sharing some thoughts and memories...

Love to hear what you think!

Lancis
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Iago

I have to agree with you, lancis!

I can still remember in high school (I live in the southern USA, btw), way back when, and there was some interest in forming a "Dungeons and Dragons" club within the school's club structure. You'd not believe the riot it almost caused among the older teaching staff! Why, next thing you'd know we'd all be worshiping the dark gods and making sacrifices on school grounds...  ;)

Were the "pick your own adventure" books the ones published that Steve Jackson helped write? I played those as well and loved every minute of them...

See? You're not so old! Er...well...if you are, you're not alone, at least... :D

Iago

Amberghylles

Choose your own adventure... I still have them, in the sets of five jackets...

Those were awesome. 

Lancis

i believe both of you are correct,

choose your own adventure and pick your own adventure books both exsisted they were popular and came in jackets like amber said or you could by them seperately for like 2 or 3 bucks a book.. the days when a tootsie pop was a dime at the store and you could get bazooka gum for 5 cents :)

Iago, I still know schools that won't allow roleplaying clubs on campus! Including the local college here where I am, course its a baptist college so that might be why.. or is it just that I live in the bible belt? lol

Anyway thanks for the replies :)

Lancis

Iago

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 08:18:39 AM
Iago, I still know schools that won't allow roleplaying clubs on campus! Including the local college here where I am, course its a baptist college so that might be why.. or is it just that I live in the bible belt? lol

Lancis, I feel your pain! ;) Sometimes I think I'm living in the *buckle* of the bible belt. :D

Iago

Spookie Monster

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 01:16:34 AMgeez, cookie monster has to eat granola bars...

First, allow me to state for the record that I did not "go healthy." I've always been healthy. Look at my picture to the left. Take a long look. How do you think I got this lush blue fur and these vibrant eyes? How do you think I've managed to build up the energy required to violate beautiful maidens judge jam/jelly competitions at state fairs? I haven't changed. I haven't flip-flopped. I have not flip-flopped. I merely clarified my position: cookies are a "sometimes" food.

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 01:16:34 AM...and oscar is on a no trash diet...

Next, Oscar is on a no-trash diet because of his cholesterol. He really needs this. Trust me. His cholesterol count is like 265.

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 01:16:34 AMI guess that is the kind of thing that happens when Disney takes over..

Finally, I've begun to associate myself with Disney because... well... have you seen Ariel? Have you seen Princess Jasmine? Do you know of another "in" with them? What choice did I have? "I can show you the world, baby!"

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 01:16:34 AMOr YEARS and YEARS ago (god i feel old) The parents blaming Dungeons and Dragons and Gary Gygax for kids getting high and stabbing each other with wooden swords...

Regarding that... I hear ya, buddy. Completely. Lots of people in my circle freaked when I began to play D&D all those years ago. Everybody was positive that James Dallas Egbert III had roleplayed just next door, y'know? Not that there aren't any true psychopaths who play rpgs, because there are. Then again, though, there are true psychopaths in every walk of life. Should we be afraid of clowns because of John Wayne Gacy? Okay, bad example. Should we be afraid of doctors because of Harold Shipman? I mean, I sympathized with Patricia Pulling, for example, but founding BADD wasn't the way to solve anything. It's been my experience that rpgs cause imagination and knowledge to flourish unlike television or video games or any other accepted forms of retreat. The fact that a few dedicated perverts like me play rpgs shouldn't reflect on anybody else. ;D

By the way, remember Mazes and Monsters? It would have been pretty funny if people didn't take it so seriously.

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 01:16:34 AMI started my interest in gaming with "Choose your own adventure." books. These books had a story in which you had many choices, (like 3 or 4) for specific story lines... some you'd die or get lost, some would move you on deeper into the story, pity is they no longer make or print these books.

I loved, loved, loved Choose Your Own Adventures and Pick-a-Paths and similar books. I still have a few around. I spent time with the ones that involved D&D and Top Secret S.I. and Gamma World; I played the ones for which you needed dice. Heck, the intro scenario in the D&D boxed set - the one with the snake and the wizard and the goblin? - basically was a Choose Your Own Adventure. I had a few favorites - one involved a mansion filled with classic horror monsters, one involved winning the lottery, one involved a time machine - but I don't recall their titles. One of my particular favorites was The Invaders of Hark... if I still had a copy, I'd read it again. The funniest one I saw was based upon the movie Staying Alive (really), although the Magnum, P.I. one was a close second.

Anybody want to collaborate on a monster-rape related Choose Your Own Adventure for old times' sake? ;D

Quote from: lancis on May 12, 2005, 08:18:39 AMthe days when a tootsie pop was a dime at the store and you could get bazooka gum for 5 cents :)

Ah, those were the days... I used to love these pretzel sticks that cost a nickel apiece down at the general store... damn modern kids, with their cellphones and CDs and I don't know what all...

Great post, lancis! :)
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Ajoxer

I'd be willing to help with the Choose your Own Adventure book. >_>
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Lancis

Way to funny Spel! (laughing out loud doesn't cover it.) but don't waffle on us and pull a Kerry... lol

As far as writing a maiden and monsters choose your own adventure, I'd help..

Question is do we actually include a path that doesnt involve the maiden being taken by the monster? lol

As far as the move to Disney.. I completely understand the draw of the well blessed women... especially Jasmine and Ariel.. even Mulan isnt that bad.. course the disney animators seem to prefer buxom cuties. But even Lilo's big sister (her name escapes me) is pretty cute... as was meg in hercules... anyway i digress.

Another memory of yesteryear came to light today... SILLY PUTTY! :)

I just hope if i am ever a parent I never have to give one of those "When I was your age speeches."

Thanks again to everyone that has reponded so far :)

Lancis

Spookie Monster

Quote from: lancis on May 14, 2005, 03:03:50 AMWay to funny Spel! (laughing out loud doesn't cover it.) but don't waffle on us and pull a Kerry... lol

Thanks for the kind words, and I will do my utmost best not to waffle on...

... oh, waffles, waffles, I...

... I...

What were we talking about again?

Quote from: lancis on May 14, 2005, 03:03:50 AMAs far as writing a maiden and monsters choose your own adventure, I'd help..

Ah, yes - a Choose Your Own Adventure from hell. I'm glad to see that you guys would indeed be willing to work on something like that; is anybody else interested? Choose Your Own Adventures weren't known for their great length, of course, but... well, the more, the merrier, as they say. And you imply an interesting point, Lancis - should the protagonist be a woman? I was thinking that the protagonist might possibly be a monster, à la FORESTER's Eden series. I've always been more satisfied when I write as a male: I enjoy the experience more, and, speaking as an individual with a penis, I feel more convinced that I did an accurate descriptive job.

Anyway, I don't think this is the place to talk about it; let me get Lilac's blessing to start a thread in Storytelling - Heavy, and I'll post back here. Start thinking up some ideas! :)

Quote from: lancis on May 14, 2005, 03:03:50 AMQuestion is do we actually include a path that doesnt involve the maiden being taken by the monster? lol

:o Perish the thought! Seriously, though, when I was thinking of a monster protagonist, I was going to suggest vagina dentata as one of the bad endings... ;D "*crunch*"

Quote from: lancis on May 14, 2005, 03:03:50 AMAs far as the move to Disney.. I completely understand the draw of the well blessed women... especially Jasmine and Ariel.. even Mulan isnt that bad.. course the disney animators seem to prefer buxom cuties. But even Lilo's big sister (her name escapes me) is pretty cute... as was meg in hercules... anyway i digress.

Mulan... Mulan... I forgot about her! I'll see if I can't catch her in the parking lot after work. As for Meg from Hercules... hmmm... I don't think I'm familiar with her. Yet.

Quote from: lancis on May 14, 2005, 03:03:50 AMAnother memory of yesteryear came to light today... SILLY PUTTY! :)

Silly Putty is outstanding indeed. Many a time in my childhood I marveled at my wit as I lifted part of Garfield RIGHT OUT OF THE FUNNY PAGES. Actually, have you every gone to the Silly Putty website? They offer the "Master of Silly Putty Degree"!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Lancis

hmmm maybe some dragon peril...

so is there a happy ending then? lol maybe a beauty and the beastish thing! ohh we also forgot Belle! :)

anyway, its always fun to read your posts spel :)

Let's see dragon peril, tentacle peril, umm what other kinds of peril can we throw the maidens into? lol cookie peril?? lol

Spookie Monster

Okay, my fellow astronauts, I started a thread in Storytelling - Heavy called Pick-a-Path Parodies AKA Twistaplot Terrors. Head over there and we can talk about the project further! :D

By the way, on gamebooks.org (nostalgia alert) I discovered the titles of two of the old books I mentioned liking: the one involving "a mansion filled with classic horror monsters" was the Twistaplot called Midnight at Monster Mansion and the one involving "winning the lottery" was the Twistaplot called Instant Millionaire. On the page I was also reminded of the Twistaplots Golden Sword of Dragonwalk and Horrors of the Haunted Museum (YEAH!). And maybe somebody here knows the answer to this: Did the Twistaplot Journey to Vernico 5 involve kicking an alien in the privates, which, it ended up, were located in his knees? If so, I loved that one. Er... I mean... yeah... why wouldn't I?

Quote from: lancis on May 15, 2005, 04:52:22 AMits always fun to read your posts spel :)

Thanks! :) Very cool of you to say.

Quote from: lancis on May 15, 2005, 04:52:22 AMumm what other kinds of peril can we throw the maidens into? lol cookie peril??

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

(Sorry.)
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Iago

Quote from: lancis on May 14, 2005, 03:03:50 AM

Another memory of yesteryear came to light today... SILLY PUTTY! :)

Okay, Lancis...you remember Silly Putty...how about Play Doh??? Nothing like leaving a small blob of that accidently on the floor until it turned into a substance hard enough to cut glass. That's about the time Dad would step on it while he was barefoot. Thence the beatings would commence!  ;D

Iago

Hunter

Quote from: Spel on May 15, 2005, 05:42:57 AM
"Gimme some sugar, baby."

(Sorry.)

*bangs head against wall*  And people call me cheesy.   :-\

Lancis

i always thought you were nacho flavored Hunter *chuckles*

Another memory for the masses...

I know this is still big today, but I have good memories of COTTON CANDY... that pure sugar substance whipped into a pink foam? umm cloud? lol whatever it was man i remember the sugar highs.. that and PIXIE STICKS! non whipped colored and supposedly flavored sugar lol

Anyone remember the original Jolt cola? they rereleased it not so long ago with flavors!

So now there is orange jolt, grape, cherry, and i am not sure what else... *laughs* drink a bottle of this stuff and it will make coffee jitters look like a good day. lol

Anyway :)

Lancis

Spookie Monster

I'll see your cotton candy, Pixie Stix, and Jolt and raise you a few packages of Smarties, a Wacky Wall Walker, and the entire series of Thundercats.

Incidentally, if you've never been to x-entertainment.com, I highly recommend it.

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Amberghylles

Thunder

THUNDER

THUNDERCATS!!! HOOO!!!!

Lancis

Quote from: Spel on May 16, 2005, 10:32:31 PM
I'll see your cotton candy, Pixie Stix, and Jolt and raise you a few packages of Smarties, a Wacky Wall Walker, and the entire series of Thundercats.

Incidentally, if you've never been to x-entertainment.com, I highly recommend it.

Spel

I raise you Voltron, Battletech, Balsa wood wind up airplanes, and those funky parachuting plastic army men. lol

Lancis

Amberghylles

Voltron.

I've got four words to say when it comes to Voltron.

"I'll form the head!"

Spookie Monster

Which Voltron are we talking about here? I need to be sure. Are we talking about the crummy Voltron I or the sweet, sweet Voltron III? I totally deny the fact that in the 4th grade I traded some kid some stupid toy for a gold-plastic-plated Voltron I figure with metal wheels in the feet. I totally deny that I went to the toy store and so wanted to buy this plasticy-rubbery Voltron I... thing. I totally deny all that.

Although I did love Voltron III. I used to pretend I was the guy in the green lion.

Really.

In fact, I still do sometimes.

That said, even Voltron III could never hold a candle to Thundercats as far as I'm concerned. Hell, I'd play a Thundercats monster rape game in a second. "Slithe, you beast!" But I have to ask: Was anybody concerned when the Thundercats were totally naked in the pilot episode? Panthro should always, always wear pants; when he goes without, it's just not right.

So... any love for the Starriors out there? Now that tale would make a fantastic rpg or video game or movie or television series or...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Hunter

Voltron?  I remember that.  I'll raise you Racer X and Space Battleship Yamato.    :-X

Lancis

hunter,

I raise you "Hong Kong Fuey" and "Secret Squirrel", heck i will even throw in "The Rocky and Bullwinkle show." and "Captain Kangaroo."

:)

Now where did I put my cane? lol seriously though some good old campy stuff coming up here, fun to remember times long past... I am not sure which iteration of Voltron I remember, I just know that the original power rangers was a rip off of it.

Have you all heard that they are going to do a live action transformers movie?!

The things people think of, i wonder if the "Dare to be Stupid" song will be in that one to lol.

Lancis

Spookie Monster

Quote from: lancis on May 19, 2005, 11:30:36 PM"Captain Kangaroo."

These words are more than permissible. You've heard of "all that"? Bob Keeshan was "all that."

Quote from: lancis on May 19, 2005, 11:30:36 PMpower rangers

These words, on the other hand, are not permissible. Please make a note of it.

*shudders*

Quote from: lancis on May 19, 2005, 11:30:36 PMHave you all heard that they are going to do a live action transformers movie?!

Allegedly, Señor Spielbergo himself will be executive producer. I like him, although I prefer his older stuff to his newer stuff. For those of you out there who don't think there's any potential for a Transformers movie (e.g., sane people), I invite you to check out this Citroën commercial: i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=6550. Yeah, baby, yeah! After that, how can you deny the possibilities?

Quote from: lancis on May 19, 2005, 11:30:36 PMThe things people think of, i wonder if the "Dare to be Stupid" song will be in that one to lol.

Regarding the soundtrack of the movie, I want only to say...

I got the touch
I got the power

After all is said and done
I've never walked, I've never run
I'm a winner

I got the moves, I know the streets
Break the rules, take the heat
I'm nobody's fool

I'm at my best when the going gets rough
I've been put to the test, but it's never enough

I got the touch
I got the power

Hi, everybody. I'm Spel. I'm awesome. I am also a huge Transformers fan. Not as huge a fan as I am of Thundercats, but pretty huge nonetheless. So who was your favorite Transformer? DON'T MAKE ME MAKE A POLL!

:D Mine was Huffer! :D

By the way, I suggest bwtf.com for any fans looking for a little nostalgia.

Once again, Lancis, this was a great post! Having a fun time with it! :)
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Valkos

Space Battleship Yamato, aka Starblazers!  I would run home from school to watch it on channel 29 out of Philadelphia.  I would sing along with the intro song.  I started building a plastic model of the Argo.  I took several ship models, like one of the USS Arizone, and turned it into a space ship (the wave motion gun didn't turn out so well, but the extra gun turrets rocked!).  I also watched random episodes of Battletech, though as I recall it was usually on when I wasn't home.   I remember when the Super Dooper Looper at Hershey park was a totally awesome ride!  Now I ride it and think I'm going to fall asleep...

On the subject of foods... does anyone remember the Marathon Bar?  Caramel laid out like a long, rectangular pretzel and covered with milk chocolate?  When a $1 bill would buy you a whole paper bag of candy from the convience store?

Or... how about the old atari gaming systems?  A far, far, far cry from an X Box or a PS2.  When you laughed at the older generation who used 8 track tapes while you used the more modern cassette tapes?  Two words... HAIR BANDS!  "I wanna rock!" 

so tell me... are you afraid of things when you turn out the light? Just follow me, and you'll set yourself free! Now won't you come out and play!

and... since part of the line was posed, might as well continue it,  "... Randolph Scott? Riding the trails alone..."
Hogwarts: Denora Crabin, Ebyn Farmer
Urban Arcana- Yancey Square: Zi, Chang  "Daisy"
Dark Side of the Senshi: Kaiou, Michiru
Elven Maiden vs. Human Barbarian: Unther/Telen'mar

*have AIM, YIM, ICQ, and MSN  feel free to say hi

Lancis

i had a neighbor with a Celeco Vision! :)

god i remember such games as Frogger, centipede, and even *gasp* PONG!

lol

I remember the Marathon bar :) the new candy bar Take 5, reminds me a lot of the Marathon :)

Of course Jolt Cola! :)

which came back with FLAVORS lol