News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

That was kinda what I thought about Port Royale 3. It was like a Pirates! Game with some Civilization elements to it.

Sel Nar

Plus AC IV has Five Skyscrapers with Guns you must Defeat.

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 23, 2014, 09:04:00 PM
Plus AC IV has Five Skyscrapers with Guns you must Defeat.

After which the rest of the game kinda...lost meaning for me.

"Come on, guys. I destroyed legendary hacker warships. What do the rest of you REALLY think you can do to me?"
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Zeth

Quote from: Shjade on November 20, 2014, 03:09:24 AM
Shadow of Mordor.

It just feels good. n.n

Also, new DLC just dropped adding a challenge mode and a female character skin (which I'd hoped for from the start, glee~). I currently have the #1 Elite score on the leaderboard. :D

Ditto, I love Shadows of Mordor. They did a really good in my opinion. It feels like I am playing through a forgotten book by Tolkien.

Oreo

Quote from: Zeth on November 25, 2014, 05:06:48 AM
Ditto, I love Shadows of Mordor. They did a really good in my opinion. It feels like I am playing through a forgotten book by Tolkien.

I felt that way with War in the North. : )

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Shjade

Quote from: Zeth on November 25, 2014, 05:06:48 AM

I dunno if I'd agree with that - I read a column about how the themes of the game more or less go against everything in Tolkien's work in favor of YOU CAN WIN WITH ENOUGH KILL - but as a game it's pretty fun. But that's just me. xD
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Changingsaint on November 17, 2014, 05:42:40 PM
I have played Long War, yes. Basically, if you want a game that feels a little more like oldschool X-com with more deployable soldiers and customization, you might like it. It's much harder than Enemy Within, and while some parts were kind of bullshit back in earlier versions, I feel it's more balanced now. If you want to try Firaxis's X-com with a new style and feel, Long War is definitely a good choice.

Yep, that's how it feels to me. I loved the original XCOM, and still play it from time to time. This harkens back well to it, but you're right that some of the missions are a lot harder. I got the first Council one the other night, the defector pick up from China. Wiped a half dozen times thanks to those 'ing Thin Men and their poison spitting. Eventually gave up on it, as I just couldn't get my target to the extraction point.

I'm dreading the Chryssalid mission, unless I have MEC troopers and plasma weapons :P
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Revelation

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 25, 2014, 05:50:15 PM
Yep, that's how it feels to me. I loved the original XCOM, and still play it from time to time. This harkens back well to it, but you're right that some of the missions are a lot harder. I got the first Council one the other night, the defector pick up from China. Wiped a half dozen times thanks to those 'ing Thin Men and their poison spitting. Eventually gave up on it, as I just couldn't get my target to the extraction point.

I'm dreading the Chryssalid mission, unless I have MEC troopers and plasma weapons :P

Just wait until you start seeing Chryssalids with more health than can be displayed.

My biggest issue with Long War is that many times you'll lose hours before you actually 'lose'. You'll get strapped into a downward spiral and not realize it until you've spent even more time in a losing campaign.

Sel Nar

The guy making long war seems to be o the dwarf fortress mentality of 'losing is fun' without realizing that losing is only fun when a tantrum spiral takes 10 minutes, not 10 hours to inform you you're fucked.

Another good game I pulled out of storage to play again; Serious Sam: The First Encounter.

HairyHeretic

Well, I'll keep on at it for now at any rate.

Have you seen Xenonauts? I've heard good things about it in comparison with the original XCOM as well, and now with the latest Steam sale just starting, it could be a good time to pick it up.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oreo

I've not heard anything Hairy. I was shaking my fist at Steam this morning. I want Lords of the Fallen, but I want it on Xbox. Why can't they have it at half price too?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 26, 2014, 05:52:53 PM

Have you seen Xenonauts? I've heard good things about it in comparison with the original XCOM as well, and now with the latest Steam sale just starting, it could be a good time to pick it up.
Mmm... It's good if you just want something exactly like the original XCOM with almost no modern game design philosophy applied to it. It's bigger, better, but it misses a few key steps like there's no elevation bonuses or penalties making going up stairs a  waste of time.

Personally I prefer Enemy Within, but if you're looking for that old school game with better graphics then you could do worse. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revelation

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 26, 2014, 05:52:53 PM

I've played xenonauts and I did not enjoy it at all. If i wanted the original X-com, but with stupid 'GOTCHA' clauses and the game taking a dump on you... Well, i'd be a masochist.

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on November 28, 2014, 11:34:05 AM
I've played xenonauts and I did not enjoy it at all. If i wanted the original X-com, but with stupid 'GOTCHA' clauses and the game taking a dump on you... Well, i'd be a masochist.
Are you talking about the:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You talking about the false psioncis path and the near useless plasma?

If so, yeah, big middle fingers and poor strategy game design.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revelation

Quote from: Inkidu on November 28, 2014, 07:04:05 PM
Are you talking about the:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You talking about the false psioncis path and the near useless plasma?

If so, yeah, big middle fingers and poor strategy game design.

'GOTCHA' clauses
Yes I am. Both of those trees/paths were really bad, and I see no good reason for them to be in the game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on November 29, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
'GOTCHA' clauses
Yes I am. Both of those trees/paths were really bad, and I see no good reason for them to be in the game.
Gotcha clause reasons
The reason they're in there is a bit of a subversion/middle finger to veteran XCOM players where psionis and plasma were the endgame, but making them pointless branches of actual research you can invest in was stupid. They could have put in some slights in the scientist's reports, but no it's basically a nasty trap designed to rob you of your first win.

LostInTheMist

I'm now playing Tropico 5. On Friday, I learned how to make large-scale capitalist societies function at least into the Cold War. Today after raking leaves, I'm going to see if I can make a totalitarian state last as long.

It's fun game, combination city builder and ruler simulator.

You start sometime in the late 18th century or early 20th century as the governor of a colony of the British Empire. You spend some time playing nice with the British Empire, letting the East India company exploit you, etc. as you slowly build up your forces and cash to declare independence. At this point in the game, you subsist mostly by selling cash crops and raw materials. The only industrial building available to you is a lumber mill so you can sell planks instead of logs. Once you declare independence, you can pay for your independence. I'm not sure if the British ever actually go to war with you over your independence bids. I usually try to keep my relations with them pretty cordial so they're willing to accept 10,000 or 20,000 cash for my independence (which is a LOT of money, especially in the early going). I think it's based on relationship though, and they will probably invade if you've pissed them off a lot.

After you declare and win your Independence it is January 1, 1914, no matter how much or how little time it took you to become independent. You enter the World Wars stage, and new buildings become available. (Including some real industry like steel mills, canneries, and cigar factories.) You also start to determine your constitution, things like voting rights, religious freedoms, and army recruitment. My capitalist society, for example, allows only the wealthiest portion of the island to vote, is a secular state (no state religion, but religion isn't forbidden), and conscripts its soldiers. (Meaning no education is required to become a soldier.) The game kind of combines events from the first and second world wars, including the "Axis" and "Allies" factions. You can trade and ally with either of them, but honk one of them off enough and they'll invade. My island was invaded by the Axis faction twice in my game, but my forces beat them back. (They don't send very many troops so far from home.)

At some point, you sign a treaty with both sides and time advances to 1946 and the Cold War era. That's where I am now. New constitutional decision, etc.

Anyway, it's a fun game, and it's on sale for another couple of days for only $19.99 on Steam. It may be the 5th in the series, but it's quite possibly the most approachable entry. Just... don't waste your money on the DLCs unless they're in the 70-80% off range (as they probably will be during the holiday sale). They're $3.99 apiece, but probably worth $.99 on a good day.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Zeth

I am enjoying Saints Row IV. It has a sort of Matrix/Tron feel to it. It may be too over the top for some people's tastes though.

CaptainNexus616

I remember when I was just doing drug deals with a crazy hippie in his van in Saints Row......

SPOILER

...then aliens blew the Earth up.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Oniya

Quote from: LostInTheMist on November 30, 2014, 01:22:58 PM
I'm now playing Tropico 5. On Friday, I learned how to make large-scale capitalist societies function at least into the Cold War. Today after raking leaves, I'm going to see if I can make a totalitarian state last as long.

It's fun game, combination city builder and ruler simulator.

Knew that name looked familiar.  If anyone wants to see gameplay of this, one of my fave YouTubers did a runthrough here:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7j0JO-w0xWkFVRjbie4w5-G5GqScjR1C

(Don't mind the title of the first entry on the list.  The reason is explained in the first few minutes.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

The Long Dark is a remarkably good survival game set in northern Canada. Without zombies.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on December 04, 2014, 05:32:50 AM
The Long Dark is a remarkably good survival game set in northern Canada. Without zombies.
So you're just surviving, huh? :|

Oniya

There's wolves and hypothermia to deal with, as well a a strangely empty collection of houses.  (I saw one episode of an LP on it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on December 04, 2014, 09:22:15 AM
So you're just surviving, huh? :|

Yes! As it should be.

It manages to keep survival though, though. Wolves are scary, but not in the zombies kind of way, as they can be kept at bay. What kills you is lack of food or water. Or freezing. It's not difficult to forage for wood, but it never works out the way you plan. You decide to go out and forage because you're running low, and then, bam, there's a blizzard, and you're trapped inside. And then your stores of clean water start running low, because you don't have any wood to start a fire to boil water ... and things escalate from there.

It does get repetitive after a while, but then, the game isn't actually finished. It will have a story mode on release, which should provide more of an incentive to keep playing. The developers seem to be doing a pretty good job of tweaking the game and implementing new features per player suggestions, too. And release regular updates.

Quote from: Oniya on December 04, 2014, 10:14:56 AM
There's wolves and hypothermia to deal with, as well a a strangely empty collection of houses.  (I saw one episode of an LP on it.)

It's 'strangely' empty because it's a post-disaster scenario - not just being randomly stuck in the wilderness. There are people around, though. But they're all dead. Every time I see one of them, I go "that will not be me".

Inkidu