News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Ideas to help writing along.

Started by Sebastian Aran, December 27, 2009, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Aran

I've been running through a bunch of ideas for increasing my productivity for when I'm writing...

How many of you all listen to music when you're typing? What kinds?

I'm trying to find a decent bunch of instrumental pieces, light-hearted in mood...

But, so far all I have is Iron Maiden. It seems to work for now. =)
Notice things that no one else notices. Know things that no one else knows.

Brandon

I listen to mostly video game music when Im writing for scenes. A few really good tracks that have some great meaning behind them are:

Godsibb Vocals (From Xenosaga Ep 3)
Id's theme (from Xenogears)
Rydia remix (Final fantasy 4)
Of Sinistrals and men (Lufia 2)
Turbid guidance (Lufia 2)
Dark palace of waterfalls (Castlevania Lament of Innocence)
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Serephino

Yeah, I sometimes listen to music when I write.  I usually pick something that matches the mood of what I'm writting.  I guess it depends on what you like.  I have eclectic tastes, so there's a lot to pick from.

I like Celtic music for really emotional scenes.  For battles, there's Within Temptation and Disturbed. 

Starlequin

<---The newbie would like to recommend Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, and Flyleaf. The whole "haunting, dark, melodic chick voice" thing does wonders for scene idea generation. I mostly use it for simple freewriting, though, as it gets tres distracting if you try to write a whole story with Cassie or Amy wailing in the background. Also, Celtic/Irish fiddle music is fantastic to write to. It may not always be light and friendly, but holy crow will it get your adrenaline flowing.

BTW, Brandon, where did you get those songs? Would love to expand my poor, sad lil vg music library... <puppy dog eyes>
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Saerrael

I actually get distracted when listening to music while writing.
However, certain games seem to need a certain mindsetting, and if I come across such a game, I listen to fitting music before I start to write.
I'll not bore you with the list, it goes on and on. My advice would be to just listen to a wide range of music when not doing anything yet and at that time decide what type of game it would fit.

Just my two cents.

Dizzi

Quote from: Starlequin on December 29, 2009, 03:32:48 AM
<---The newbie would like to recommend Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, and Flyleaf.
whoo!  flyleaf!

For me, I have lots of nice insturmental songs (INK soundtrack.  INK is an amazing indie movie BTW.  great soundtrack), the District 9 theme, sometimes some mozart (Lacrimosa, o Fortuna), Requiem for a dream (Not it's actual title, but I forget what it is called)

etc. etc.  It all depends on what the scene wants

consortium11

Quote from: Dizzi on December 29, 2009, 11:44:23 PM
whoo!  flyleaf!

For me, I have lots of nice insturmental songs (INK soundtrack.  INK is an amazing indie movie BTW.  great soundtrack), the District 9 theme, sometimes some mozart (Lacrimosa, o Fortuna), Requiem for a dream (Not it's actual title, but I forget what it is called)
etc. etc.  It all depends on what the scene wants

Lux Aeterna

Mathim

What helps me is the type of thing I'm trying to write. When I want to write something dark, I listen to really creepy stuff, if I want to write action, I need loud, up-tempo stuff, if I'm trying concentrate, classical, and if I want something funny, I'll listen to something like Fiddle de Chocobo from FFVII. Those help you get in the frame of mind to write what you are trying to do. You're going to want to listen to something different if you're writing fiction than if you're writing an essay for class.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Skye

Cirque Du Soleil
Instrumental
Two Steps From Hell
Future World Music

Just to name a few...  ::) (The last two are courtesy of my 'Epic Music Dealer')

Also some random articles help to get my mind back on track, after it's been distracted with randomness to the point of failing at posting. (Story Sensei) I mostly click on random articles on the right side panel. -nodnodnod- These are things we already know...it just helps to be reminded every now and then.
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]