What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/islamic-state-said-to-use-mosul-residents-as-human-shields-as-coalition-closes-in/ar-AAj4QSM?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

As Iraqi and Kurdish forces push in on Mosul, IS has resorted to using Human shields to prevent them from firing. As well as using many more suicide bombers than usual.

These are the death cries of an evil empire. The only thing to wonder, will be what happens when the smoke finally clears.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 18, 2016, 10:51:59 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/islamic-state-said-to-use-mosul-residents-as-human-shields-as-coalition-closes-in/ar-AAj4QSM?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

As Iraqi and Kurdish forces push in on Mosul, IS has resorted to using Human shields to prevent them from firing. As well as using many more suicide bombers than usual.

These are the death cries of an evil empire. The only thing to wonder, will be what happens when the smoke finally clears.

There's going to be a long road still after they have lost Mosul, and they're all too likely to pop up again in other countries - in Africa or Asia.  :-( And the really hard part is going to be to break them in Syria when most people there don't see any viable democratic alternative tp rally around, and which could really help take the Assad regime down...

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Sara Nilsson

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/us/montana-judge-incest-case-trnd/index.html

judge defends his 60 day sentence for a man  who r*ped his 12 yo daughter...

60 days? I.. what?!

Missy

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on October 19, 2016, 07:24:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/us/montana-judge-incest-case-trnd/index.html

judge defends his 60 day sentence for a man  who r*ped his 12 yo daughter...

60 days? I.. what?!

I can't decide if the judg or women in this article are crazier "Thy ned their father in their lives even with reasonable restrictions", "th children, especially the boys will be devasated" what do these people think constituts a proper role model???

IN any case I do believe in rehabilitation over punishment, but the sentenes plaed against rapists are far to ight given the severity and effect o the crime. I we want to work on rhabilitation then we ought ot invest in such programs within our prison system.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trigon

The final presidential has been concluded. And to no one's suprise, Trump lost, with a final result of 0-3 in Clinton's favor  ::)  ::)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/trump_s_final_debate_was_a_slow_motion_meltdown.html

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Trevino on October 20, 2016, 07:32:38 AM
The final presidential has been concluded. And to no one's suprise, Trump lost, with a final result of 0-3 in Clinton's favor  ::)  ::)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/trump_s_final_debate_was_a_slow_motion_meltdown.html

*nods* Just heard two pundits on the BBC saying the election "is virtually over" as far as Clinton vs Trump is concerned, the real questions now are how wide a margin she will be able to secure and if Trump's failure will help sweep the senate or the house back to the Democrats. After that (I mean after Trump's campaign has torn up so many rifts, whether or not they'd also lose the senate is a different thing) what happens long-term to the Republican party?

Even if there was a major crisis or a terrorist attack now, in the next two weeks, it wouldn't help Trump win.

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 20, 2016, 01:32:40 PM
North Korea has yet another Missile test that ends in failure.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-says-it-detected-failed-north-korean-missile-launch/ar-AAjbhBV?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

:P

Kim shpuld conduct those tests on the dark side of the moon.  ;D (allegedly, some US generals were warning Kennedy in 1963 they were sure that if he signed the test ban treaty, the Russians would try this subterfuge...)

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

TheGlyphstone

We had a perfectly good Planet Nine already.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 20, 2016, 08:09:25 PM
We had a perfectly good Planet Nine already.

*nods* It was a bit small, though.  ;)

If they do find a large ninth planet cruising around at about 1.000 AU (or, almost a full "light week") from the sun, it could take a hundred years before there's a close-up flyby on it, like there's been with all ther others and Pluto.

Missy

well yeah, but pluto was about the same size as Eris, prompting the addition of a dwarf planet classification and pluto/charons subsequent reclassification.

All this gravity stuff is super interesting though. I mean you think about it humans are weightless in space, but not really, just so infintesimally small as to ecperience essential weightlessness. In reality gravity is constant and everywhere pulling in all sorts of directions. The sun creates a massive gravity field reaching out far more than a thousand AU. On the galactic disc it even bobs up and down and when it passes through the center it and the gravity wells of all the other nearby stars effect one another and their systems. The entire milky way is the product of a humungeous gravity field holding it all together forcing everything within a billion lightyear area to revolve around the galactic core. And then theres the fact that all the galaxies in our local area are also in motion as well, they usually say they'r being pulled, by what they don't know, but theres something else out there making an even more massive gravity field than the Milky Way black hole and core stars. When you think about it, all this stuff has eight too, they must have some special unit to measure and calculate the weight of celestial objects.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 20, 2016, 08:16:34 PM

*nods* It was a bit small, though.  ;)

that is what she said? ^^

I am treating the news with some skepticism, we have kept hearing about this mystery planet for so long. It would be amazing for sure if it turns out to be true.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 20, 2016, 07:29:37 PM
It seems evidence is mounting that there is an undiscovered planet at the very egde of our solar system.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/planet-nine-cant-hide-much-longer-scientists-say/ar-AAjckGy?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15
Fine by me, as long as they give it a name that starts with P so I can continue using the old memory aids I learned for the names of our planets.  ;D
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 21, 2016, 02:55:57 AM
Fine by me, as long as they give it a name that starts with P so I can continue using the old memory aids I learned for the names of our planets.  ;D

Presley has just left the building.  :D

gaggedLouise

After some MPs in Kyrgyzystan asked to see the constitution of the country in its original document (written no further back than 2010, guys!) it turns out that the government may have...lost the original. Moreover, though it had been voted on in a national referendum it's an open question if it was ever signed into law by any political leader.  :P

The only texts available all seem to be copies held by various departments, and as long as you don't have any definite original, it's open to question if those copies may have been tampered with, especially in a country with a line of dictators in its past.

Missy

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 21, 2016, 02:55:57 AM

I think they should call it Athena, since most plants are named for Greek/Roman deities, unfortunately if they did that they would probably go with Minerva instead, which I don't like the sound of as much.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Missy on October 21, 2016, 08:33:00 AM
I think they should call it Athena, since most plants are named for Greek/Roman deities, unfortunately if they did that they would probably go with Minerva instead, which I don't like the sound of as much.

Good suggestion. Persephone would sit nicely too - in Greek mythology, she is the wife of Pluto/Hades and must spend part of each year in the underworld after having eaten of his pomegranates *winks at a certain E member*. There is a minor asteroid by that name already, but it seems the powers that be accept that a name given to a microplanet (includes some asteroids and Pluto) can be reused for a planet or some other object.

Lustful Bride

Dangerous Chlorine Gas Spill in Kansas.

Government issues "Shelter in place" Orders.

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/chemical-spill-in-atchison-kan-oct-21-2016/

If any of you live near the outbreak, get some ductape and use it to seal off all doors and windows, don't be afraid to use too much, and wait for emergency evac or further instructions.

Oniya

Quote from: Missy on October 21, 2016, 08:33:00 AM

We've already got a Minerva.  Persephone (or Proserpine, for the Romans) would also be more appropriate as one of the chthonic deities - being out there where it's so dark and cold and all that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

True, the names of the planets have traditionally been the Roman forms, not the Greek ones (the Greeks would have called them Hermes, Aphrodite, Ares, Zeus and so on). So Proserpine would be the more logical choice.