Darkest Nights: Modern Supernatural Horror/Fantasy - Accepting Characters!

Started by Bloodied Porcelain, September 10, 2013, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodied Porcelain

The darkest nights in centuries have fallen on the city of New Haven...

A Coming Storm

The world is changing. New powers are rising, and old ones are falling. Alliances are crumbling and the denizens of the Underground are finding allies in the most unlikely of places. While the denizens of the Underground are busy living their lives, vying for power, and fighting out their petty squabbles, a storm is brewing on the horizon.  Will the supernatural forces of the mortal realm find that power is a useful tool, a burden, or a myth?

Darkest Nights is a dark, modern horror game that focuses on storytelling above all. We are not here to make a game choc-full of combat (though it may happen on occasion), nor are we here to play out a bumping, grinding sex scene every 10 posts (though sex will of course be a factor). The story is set in and around the city of New Haven, one of the hubs for supernatural living and activity on the east coast. With a myriad of races available for play, players chose what race and/or faction they belong to and what their character’s goals are before setting out to accomplish the task. This information will then be used to build a custom-made storyline for the group your character is assigned to (determined based on your posting frequency/availability) Will you play a witch determined to be the head of the most powerful coven in the city? A vampire planning a hostile takeover of the throne? Or perhaps you will be a shifter just trying to survive? With political mind games, love affairs, and the general day-to-day of supernatural entities on the line, anything can happen!

Information of note:

• The following races are available for play: Vampire, Were, Shifter, Witch, Mage, Sidhe
  • Combat is based on a logic system. We're not using dice. Because this is a storyline heavy RP, players are expected to work out the details of a fight before RPing it out.
  • No one's character can be killed without their permission. However, characters can be written out of the game by a Storyteller. You will be warned if your character is being removed from the game or is at risk of such.
  • Most of the storyline information provided is being taken from a series of novels I am writing. Please have the respect to NOT use any of it outside this game
  • In order to not directly copy everything from my books, I am heavily borrowing from World of Darkness for vampires and their abilities.
  • I may be willing to work other races in to the setting upon request, however the following races are strictly forbidden: Dragons/Half Dragons, Angels, and Demons
  • Darkest Nights will be running like a political adventure game, with characters being split up in to groups (largely based on that character's posting frequency/availability). I, as the Storyteller, will be putting various storylines and plot arcs in to effect for the characters to play through. Nothing is set in stone, however, and character actions will effect where the story ultimately goes.
  • Major positions of power in society will be held by NPCs initially, so as to keep things fair. You want to eventually be on the council? Run a coven? Be the Prince? Earn it both IC and OOC
  • OOC drama will not be tolerated in any form.
  • As this is a storyline based RP, good grammar, punctuation, spelling, and post length are expected. Even if your character isn't physically doing much, there is plenty going on around them. React to it. A reasonable post length in most cases should be a minimum of 400 words.

Still interested?

You can find the primary info/directory/rules thread here
OOC is here

Note #1: The last time I ran this game, I recieved multiple requests to allow people to bring in some mass murderer or serial killer... Please, guys, lets remember this is a political game. Not a "who dun it" or combat-centric setting. I'm not going to allow you to bring in a character who spends most of their time killing off NPCs and throwing the supernatural world in to a tizzy. Especially not this early in the game. So remember... be realistic with your character choices. :)

Note #2:  Group 1 is accepting one female and two male characters. Group 2 is in need of two males. Player sex is irrelevant.

Note #3: I may be willing to open a third group if enough people show interest.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

TheHangedOne

I'm the first, mwu-ha-ha.*Finds a nice spot to set up his hammock.*  8-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Winterborn

*tosses his mead cork at TheHangedMan*

Lies and deception! I was here the whole time, watching and waiting, just biding my time.

Bloodied Porcelain

I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Raziel

Yay! We're back! And I was here first...just napping, didn't y'all see me in the corner? :P

Winterborn

TheHangedOne

Your lack of maturity just shows you can't handle the position.  8-)
Check out my poet tree!

Winterborn

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Winterborn on September 10, 2013, 04:28:10 PM
*goes off in a corner and sulks, maturely and with much gravitas*
So, you'll be playing a vampire, then, right?

I am joking, of course. All in good fun.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Winterborn

ElCapitan

Hey, risking potential GM wrath, I went ahead and copied my character over.

Everyone else should too, so then there's too many to punish!

bubby

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

bubby

A very tired and pain filled bubby, but a bubby nonetheless!  ;)

*Hugs Hanged*

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Winterborn

bubby

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 11, 2013, 02:49:40 AM
*Hugs  back, and massages away the pain.*  O:)

Quote from: Winterborn on September 11, 2013, 02:51:20 AM
*takes a note from R.A.H. and rubs her feet*

*Melts into a pain free puddle, and promptly falls asleep* I'm off boys. Looking forward to starting.

Raziel

bubby

Quote from: Raziel on September 11, 2013, 02:57:07 AM
yay! Bubby's back too *waves at bubby*

*Waves to Raz* The whole gang's here! *Blows kisses all around* Bedtime for this old lady. Night guys!

1SAZ

This sounds like a fun challenge, count me in if you have the space.

ElvenKitten

If it's going to be like the like the Sidhe in the Dresden files I'm so in

Bloodied Porcelain

To all my returning players, you're all welcome to post your character sheets over from the old accepted characters thread in to the new one. If you have any changes, please make them and PM me your sheet.

Quote from: ElvenKitten on September 11, 2013, 04:13:37 AM
If it's going to be like the like the Sidhe in the Dresden files I'm so in

They're not. Please read through the thread detailing the sidhe.

ElvenKitten

I just read it, they seem pretty similar...well similar enough for my character idea to work. :D