Windows 8 and gaming

Started by persephone325, May 12, 2013, 11:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

I recently just bought a new laptop. My old one somehow got a virus or something and wiped the OS and fried the hard drive. That's what the guy who was trying to fix it said. ...I think. lol

Anyway, I'm a Sims addict. I own all the Sims 2 games, but this laptop doesn't have a disk drive. So...I had to pirate them. Not sure if I can say that here. lol Problem is, every time I try to load up the game I get an error that says

"Failed to enumerate any DirectX 9 compatible graphics adapters in this system!"

So I can't load the game. Would anyone be able to help me out? I came across this problem before, but on a different operating system. So I don't know what to do for W8.

Computer Specs

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130306-1502)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 650M
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Trieste

When I got my new laptop, I found that even small things tended not to work until I got ALL of the (100+) Windows updates that needed to be run on my computer. So make sure you go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update and make sure all of the available updates are downloaded and installed. You'll have to reboot about a million times, but making sure that my OS was up to date solved a LOT of problems.

You also need to make sure all of your drivers are updated and current. Make sure that you only download drivers from trusted sources, though, because downloading fake drivers can really mess up your system.

persephone325

Quote from: Trieste on May 13, 2013, 02:30:51 AM
When I got my new laptop, I found that even small things tended not to work until I got ALL of the (100+) Windows updates that needed to be run on my computer. So make sure you go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update and make sure all of the available updates are downloaded and installed. You'll have to reboot about a million times, but making sure that my OS was up to date solved a LOT of problems.

You also need to make sure all of your drivers are updated and current. Make sure that you only download drivers from trusted sources, though, because downloading fake drivers can really mess up your system.

Ah, I see. Then I'll have to give that a try. Hopefully it'll help. Though we all know how EA works with getting patches and fixes up and ready to use... lol
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Silverfang

Quote from: Trieste on May 13, 2013, 02:30:51 AM

Concerning this I would clearly encourage you to really ONLY download the drivers from the original website for your laptop and not from third-part websites!!! I for example bought myself an Acer Laptop last year and also put win8 on it. For the drivers I only use those from the Acer Website. There is the possibility to choose exactly your own model and they propose you the latest drivers for all the components inside your computer ;) ... concerning games there are sadly some huge problems concerning WIN8 and older games. In my case for example "Battle of Middle Earth" don't work anymore with the new OS on it. It's crap but there isn't much to do against it -.- ... in this case I just say Windows-Bullshit :-( ... Maybe you should look up in the internet concerning Sims2 compatibility with Win8! - I for example wanted to install the old "Trackmania Sunrise" on the notebook. It didn't worked and after some searching in the internet, I found a tutorial how to make it playable on Win8. After totally ~4 Restarts and ~6 Patches the game was "made" compatible to the new OS.
I hope you can find a way to resolve your problem! :-) ... Maybe I can do some research for you later this week after I had my exam^^

-Silverfang