House of Ravens (was Want to run D&D)

Started by greenknight, November 08, 2013, 07:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagan

If you like, I'll trade poor Genji in?

(How about a mouse familiar? Just for fun?)

Miroque

and my (mouse)Slayer named Hawk would have an field(mouse) day...

Im all good with your cat having an familiar, but as I said, it might turn into problems IC. (and one thing I hate is when people forget there are familiars/comppanions/pets with the group)

Tagan

Me, I tend to have IC conversations with my Familiar.

I love having another character viewpoint to comment.

Miroque

well.. familiars cant talk anymore, until level 5. Empathic link until then. (unless you have raven familiar, they can talk)

Tagan

True.  I would have to wait until 6th lvl.

Ah, well, it's better than being stabbed with a banana.

Miroque

Quote from: Tagan on November 11, 2013, 04:21:10 AM
True.  I would have to wait until 6th lvl.

Ah, well, it's better than being stabbed with a banana.

^^^^^^ PURE Signature material ^^^^^^

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

greenknight

Current roll call

Miroque as Victoriana Harkess(?), heir after Sir Kerith (his name alluding to Valor in Suel dialects) - conjurer
AndyZ as Aria _______, a more distant heir to county, perhaps from a different family - paladin
Zaer Darkwil as ________, a mercenary seeking a steady job - marshal (need sheet)
RubySlippers as ________, a rogue with a knack for everything, spared by Lady V in return for service(?) - JOAT rogue  (need sheet)
Tagan as Dora, the kitty
Ulthakptah as ________, the ranger (need sheet)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

RubySlippers

RubySlippers as ________, a rogue with a knack for everything, spared by Lady V in return for service(?) - JOAT rogue  (need sheet)

She will not work for the lady ratting out those in her profession, period, she has a code of honor some things a professional won't do.

If she saved my characters life she would "owe her" so that would be her in as in she was going to be killed in an attack and her life was saved.

Will get in sheet tonight.

AndyZ

What's the traditional naming convention for last names of nobility?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Zaer Darkwail

Cat is fine also to me :). So no problems. Now I can make sheet asap but I need determine what PrC I can enter and such so I need discuss it further.

Quote from: greenknight on November 10, 2013, 11:55:13 PM
Sanctified One: We'll have to work on this one. If you're going for Kord, remember you'll have to have a pretty radical alignment change. I'm also not happy with his chaos ability. I'm also not using affiliations.

pretty radical alignment change ??!! According the Wiki he is chaotic good and I have said since start that my marshal is chaotic good?! Why I need change alignment? Also note marshals do not have alignment restrictions either. Anyways Chaos ability can be used only once per day each time it's taken. Considering the other nice powers (like the one which gives you prc x 2 level sacred bonus to Str), it's unlikely someone takes same feature 3 times. Even so; it works only vs critical hits and it's meant to save your ass when foe with x3 critical multiplier would murder you in one hit. Of course it protects also spell effects (like critical hitting disintegrate ray). So overall not the most OP stuff what's out there. I would rule the spellcaster related ability in Kord abilities more broken than any other three.

But if you still think a once per day a life saver from being one shot with critical is OP, how you would nerf it?

Pious Templar: See above. Also, this PrC ties you to a specific location; if your loyalty is truly to Victoriana, you might pine for it but not join it. Also, I'm not using faith feats/points, either. I have no desire to start tacking on extra systems.

NPC Pious Templars stick on the temples, not PC ones. It would make class unplayable in any normal DnD party if that would be requirement to PrC. A PC Pious Templar can be adventurer and travel widely or even work as employee for a noble. But it can create drama/conflict if church duties cross with his employment ones, but same deal could be said with paladins and so far you have not demanded our paladin change class. Overall Pious Templar could be considered just a paladin, a divine champion, of the given church. Of course it's common they stick to specific temple sites but it's not a demand. Considering Kord as the deity of choice there is nice quote from Space Marines chaplain; "Battlefield is my chapel and I spread gospel with my bolter upon heathens." Kord is deity of battles after all and so Pious Templar of Kord is stationed where there are regular conflicts or battles or physical challenges to overcome.

Legendary Leader: Not in the focus of the campaign. I think you'll be disappointed at the lack of opportunity to use your abilities.

Ok, so no leading armies or such. Although I kind hoped for some of that action.

Outcast Champion: yes, but the racial component stays. Half-elves and half-orcs aren't separate societies, they are more appropriate as growing up among humans. Remember that half-orcs aren't green Klingons, they readily pass as (ugly?) humans.

So, if all PrC's are eliminated you have no problems my marshal being half-elf then? Who was born among frost barbarians but because of his racial heritage he was social outcaste in there and he left to find place in the world and has ideas to form specifically a place where half-breeds are welcome to stay?

Would same concept work if instead half-elf we use tiefling or aasimar? I remember in Adaption suggestion section of the PrC told a planartouched race would also qualify with little to no trouble and tieflings are social outcastes like half-orcs are.

Dragonlord: No. The altered campaign model doesn't apply, so the whole of Dragon Magic is out.

Altered campaign model? I did not intent PrC change the setting but more as change PrC to fit on the setting itself. I thought it be cool if frost barbarians have reverance to totems (like usual norse culture) and so dragonlord takes inspiration from totem to be a efficient warlord.

Dreadful Wrath: No. I haven't considered any regions that would be analogous to Rashemen to expand their regional feat set.

Umh, reason why I asked the feat is because I think Rashemen and the Barbarian States are very similar to each other culturally speaking (some fine details are different and inclusion of witches in Rashemen but witches are not anyway related to feat itself and what feat presents). Rashemen are barbarians who are fearless in battle and have tendency go battle rages. They are outright frigthening to enemies when they come screaming at you.

So your saying frost, ice nor snow barbarians do not fit on the bill having similar battlefield influence which is presented with dreadful wrath feat?

Devotion feats: Not as written.

Ok, thought it could had been cool 'once per day' power to have but can live without.

Zaer Darkwail

As a joke of the day, I share you this (warning, has gorey details);

Joke of the day

greenknight

Alignment on Sanctified One. I was stuck on stupid and thought you were LN. I guess that's why my comment didn't make a lot of sense. Go for it.

Chaos ability: I don't like it as a Chaos ability. As a Luck ability, it's great and flavorful, it just doesn't click as "Chaos-y," especially as named Chaos Warp. YMMV.

Legendary Leader. I don't know if you'd get more than a level or two before the end of the story and I didn't plan on large scale actions. That may be the further adventures someone wants to run later. Still, you can get enjoyment out of the early abilities at the party/skirmish scale.

Outcast Champion. Yeah, no problems with the half-breed growing up with humans. They're not killed at birth or anything like that. On that subject, if you want a big sword rather than the traditional sword and board, there are no problems. The latter are just what the Fruztii, Schnai, and Cruskii traditionally use. As for tiefling, that's fine, too, but do you want to spend the LA? And have you considered your lady's patriarch? His patron is a quite rigid, one true path and thou shalt not stray kind of god.

For setting up a segregated culture, or a place just for the half-elves or whatever, that's seen as dangerous in the Flanaess, as one of the bad guys(TM) that came out of hiding in the recent (ended ~10 years ago) Greyhawk Wars was the Scarlet Brotherhood, a rabidly racist Suel monastic order that took over the Tilvanot Peninsula abut 300 miles to the south and cause a lot spoiling trouble. They continue to use spies and assassins to stir up trouble all around. Then you have the elves of Celene, who say stay out of my forest and I'll stay in my forest and folks are somewhat okay with because 1) THEY'RE ELVES...IN A FOREST! and 2) the forest cuts off the humanoids overrunning another peninsula from causing trouble for everyone else. Because the orcs and goblins have to cross A FOREST FULL OF ELVES! That's like invading Russia in winter.

Dragon Magic intentionally alters a campaign models and everything is linked to that. Dragons aren't about meddling in world affairs in my game; that's where the inherent influence of the Dragonlord derives.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

AndyZ

Is there any traditional convention for nobility surnames?  Or should we just go with it?

greenknight

Just go with it. Some in use in Nyrond are Talnith (Duchy of Woodwych), Huldane(County of Mowbrenn, just north of the duchy), Orberend (Duchy of...), Boomgren (Royal Duchy of Womthan), Aspranth (March of Woodverge), Korenflass (Duchy of...), Klendern (Earldom of Gamboge), Damar (Duchy of Flinthill), Ventrose (Viscounty of Eventide), Beremen (County of Brackenmoor, south of and also on the border with Urnst), and of course, Nyrond (Kingdom of...).

AndyZ

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, I go with Sanctified One and then perhaps multiclass as barbarian or stay with Marshal after I complete the PrC. Because BAB requirement I can enter PrC at 8th level. But if I get only 2 levels as legendary hero I presume the 8th level is max anyway what we reach in the story? Anyways I am fine you rename the Chaos Warp to something else, the Luck of Battle already presents 'luck' but it could be renamed as 'Blessing of Valor' or such and then rename the Chaos Warp as 'Luck of Kord'.

Anyways, I may be willing take LA hit but if I can enter sanctified one, there is little to no need be non-human to enter another PrC (I mostly thinked have just 1 PrC max which is flavorful).

Anyways any opinion on Dreadful Wrath? I thought take it as one my first level feats if it gets approved. But I can live without it but I thought I be very useful ability.

greenknight

On Dreadful Wrath, it's much more appropriate to a Flan influenced region. The Rashemi are much more First Nations than "viking" in the underlying shamanic culture, even if they look like Conan movie extras and Mardi Gras float riders. Not having access to all the fluff, I can see this as very much a manifestation of drawing the Rashemi ancestor spirits round the character in a fearsome, dare I say mask-like, display.

Tagan

AndyZ

AndyZ

This is why I put a funny accent whenever I say poin-ted stick.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: greenknight on November 11, 2013, 10:00:41 AM
On Dreadful Wrath, it's much more appropriate to a Flan influenced region. The Rashemi are much more First Nations than "viking" in the underlying shamanic culture, even if they look like Conan movie extras and Mardi Gras float riders. Not having access to all the fluff, I can see this as very much a manifestation of drawing the Rashemi ancestor spirits round the character in a fearsome, dare I say mask-like, display.

Well, as note in player's guide to faerun same feat is expanded listed to Cormyr and that's a chivalrous knight nation than shamanic/tribal culture. The one I linked is from older FR sourcebook. But overall what I understand the 'masks' are only for wychlaran witches stuff than barbarian stuff. There are male witches but they sit 24/7 in enclave and make magic items (where as wychlaran are forbid to ever make one).

But if borrow bit norse warfare, historically speaking in RL vikings used much of intimidation tactics as actual warfare tactics in equal measure. So I can imagine vikings could have dreadful wrath sort ability (they charge and just are damn frightening). Same way how dragon is frightening (as they possess frightful presence also) in combat.

But as I said; there is nothing magical about the ability as it's extraordinary than supernatural. So rashemi barbarians do not conjure phantom images of ancestors as visual display as they charge, they charge with their tribal war painted faces onto enemies who just crap on their pants because they have mastered the art of intimidation.

We can argue with the flavor of the feat but the main question is; is the feat function itself ok or not? Is it okay I can once per encounter, once 24 hour per foes in 30'ft radius, able force them roll a will save to see are they shaken for 1 minute (shaken does not mean they flee, they just take -2 penalty to attack rolls and some other rolls also)?

greenknight

Yes, Dreadful Wrath is also too good. It allows you to, at range, as an automatic added effect, against multiple opponents, and for 10 times the duration, do something that normally requires its own standard action, requires you to be adjacent to and threatening the target, and succeed on a an opposed roll, all without requiring any actual skill in Intimidation and excluding the normal limitation that creatures of higher level/HD are immune to your frightful presence. And it's an ability that first level characters can get.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, ok. But can it be possible later get Imperious Command? It provides a extension to normal demoralize action so it's more useful to use. I will work on my sheet then, as I cannot take this feat until 6th level anyways.