Battletech

Started by Jack Stryker, March 13, 2010, 02:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I have no interest in hurting anyone.

(calls in an artillery strike on a mech and a bunch of infantry)

That is their job!  :D

I think I outdid myself on my VTOL its focused but for its role will be really nice if its ok with the GM.

ChaoticSky

i concurr with ana

we should all be onside. theres only two ways a competitive RP can work, the first is a system, the second is if the entire senario (including wins and losses) is worked out before hand, or decided by the GM. though that kinda cheats your players >_>

Jack Stryker

Well, the Ferret is alright with me, except for just 1 point.  the ECM wasn't reintroduced to the Inner Sphere for another few years after the rp takes place.  I've already had to turn down one person's 'mech design because it incorporated both ECM and BAP, both of which didn't re-exist in the rp.  A simple switch for the ECM for a TAG laser, however, would be completely fine.  I find it odd for a chopper to have ECM, anyway.  the rotors are going to be making enough noise and disturbance for anyone within a mile or so to know where you are.

And alright, all playable characters will be mercenary.  I'll keep things interesting, promise.  I've already got their first couple weeks on-planet planned out in my head.

TheGlyphstone

Eh, I went with an absolutely bog-standard Cat, only caving in to have it be the model with the non-utter-fail jump jets. I was originally planning to swap out the Medium Lasers for a couple of Large Lasers to fit its jury-rig nature and also make it suprisingly nasty in close range, but LL have 3x the heat and 5x the tonnage, so I had to scrap it.

It's a pity we're pre-Clan, otherwise i would have loved to take a Mad Cat/Timberwolf...it's probably the iconic Battlemech - 75 tons of sheer win.

Anathanasia

Quote from: Darkling on March 23, 2010, 02:18:38 PM
i concurr with ana

we should all be onside. theres only two ways a competitive RP can work, the first is a system, the second is if the entire senario (including wins and losses) is worked out before hand, or decided by the GM. though that kinda cheats your players >_>

Well...there is a third way...a full on moderator as opposed to a GM; I've seen that work well. Mostly in setups where players moderated threads they didn't have a PC in, but it still usually broke down eventually with some godmodding jerk insisting his character was the second coming of Vader...

>.>
<.<

Yeah, some freeform Star Wars RP groups on Yahoo. Blech.

I agree with Jack on the ECM thing. It could be useful to a VTOL parked behind woods or a hill with a mast mounted TAG peeking over, but you need the TAG system first.

Just one last idea to throw at you, Ruby, if you like and Jack allows, I'd be more than happy to spec out a VTOL to your requirements. You can do a decent bit with a quick little 15 ton single seat VTOL, especially if Jack would let me slap some rocket launchers on it so you could have a little one-shot offense. Just an idea, your call(s) either way. :-)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 23, 2010, 02:48:20 PM
Eh, I went with an absolutely bog-standard Cat, only caving in to have it be the model with the non-utter-fail jump jets. I was originally planning to swap out the Medium Lasers for a couple of Large Lasers to fit its jury-rig nature and also make it suprisingly nasty in close range, but LL have 3x the heat and 5x the tonnage, so I had to scrap it.

It's a pity we're pre-Clan, otherwise i would have loved to take a Mad Cat/Timberwolf...it's probably the iconic Battlemech - 75 tons of sheer win.
its neat because its differnt, myself i favour the nova cat, fafnir and madcat II (in that order) so i had to adapt, but i rather like the way its come out ^^

HairyHeretic

Could you possibly use the Quickstrike rules to work out the results of a combat (minimal dice rolling) and then communicate that for the players to RP out?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

RubySlippers

My VTOL carries 30 parachute dropped sensor detection units I can scatter them every so far apart and use those to triangulate the fire of artillery or use line of sight. Its simple I'm here that is sent on a secure relay to the artillerists and I say this mech is so far away and such degrees over and fire. Just like they do now with GPS tech. Its not necessary I TAG and get close.

I have it worked it out. The VTOL is designed to stay back and use remote sensors to do most of the work. That is why I chose it.

But no ECM that is fine I can tweak. Anyway with its speed and agility and tactics I should not need to worry. And the ECM was to hide her from ranged targeting to add a layer of protection but no biggy.

RubySlippers

Ok my character is done. whew

I just have a standard Ferret with extra electronics, double the armor and a larger power plant and two armored beds outsdie that can go down to hold wounded soldiers or downed pilots (is a 1 Armor Factor Pod) but I lose one armor on the side used to protect my copter.

But I don't see anyone having an easy time hitting my VTOL at full speed. Even cruising speed should be faster than most hovercraft built for speed.  ;D

My VTOL has nose art a nude woman wrapeed around a artillary shell with "Death from Above" in bold letters. Ok she is not all that dangerous but the artillary unit she heads is and its going to be hard for you not to get needed intel from her.

Anathanasia

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 23, 2010, 09:12:02 PM
Ok my character is done. whew

Hehe, yay, Ruby!  ;D

Glad to have you aboard. One step closer to launch!

NotoriusBEN

I just have this idea of Ruby running her VTOL out over the field of battle dropping her range probes all over the night before to give the company fantastic targeting data for a killzone.  >:)

Im a bit hot and bothered by it,  :-* hahaha

Jack Stryker

This is shaping up to be an amazing array of players.  I should say again that near all company commands are open.   So far only the main A Company and the E 'Ghost' Company have commanders.  If anyone wants to grab them, they've been open since the start.

For starting things, I should have things ready to go by this weekend.

RubySlippers

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on March 24, 2010, 01:14:33 AM
I just have this idea of Ruby running her VTOL out over the field of battle dropping her range probes all over the night before to give the company fantastic targeting data for a killzone.  >:)

Im a bit hot and bothered by it,  :-* hahaha

I have ,er, weapons.

Goes over and mounts on of the two Long Tom Artillary pieces and four Sniper Artillery are in front of them. Lets call it overcompensation since I don't have a mech, I have to settle.  ;)

Anyway the sensor devices are in the Feret description and I pack twice the normal load, oh and my VTOL has a 2t engine she should be able to outfly anything under an aerospace fighter actually its an engine with a VTOL built around it. lol

ChaoticSky

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 24, 2010, 09:11:27 AM
I have ,er, weapons.

Goes over and mounts on of the two Long Tom Artillary pieces and four Sniper Artillery are in front of them. Lets call it overcompensation since I don't have a mech, I have to settle.  ;)

Anyway the sensor devices are in the Feret description and I pack twice the normal load, oh and my VTOL has a 2t engine she should be able to outfly anything under an aerospace fighter actually its an engine with a VTOL built around it. lol
now... im not the expert, but its nearly impossible to get *one* of those things on a Mech, unless you build your entire fitting around it. having 6 arty pieces on a glorified helicopter does not seem in any way possible D:

TheGlyphstone

Yeah - it's very entertaining in MC2 to build a custom Atlas that dual-wields Long Tom Cannons, but that takes up its entire tonnage allotment, or at the very least its grid allotment. Something 1/20 its tonnage and size....

I guess I'll take a company command if it's being offered. B or C company, for long-range direct tactical fire support. Give me an NPC lance of a couple more LRM-kitted heavy mechs and a flanker/bodyguard to keep us safe and I'll be a happy clam. 3 long-range support mechs and a medium/short-range combatant for defense seems like a good lance structure.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Darkling on March 24, 2010, 09:26:42 AM
now... im not the expert, but its nearly impossible to get *one* of those things on a Mech, unless you build your entire fitting around it. having 6 arty pieces on a glorified helicopter does not seem in any way possible D:

Fixed emplacements they fire maps away not hexes I just need to get the coordinates to my firing team.  ;)

Ferrets were designed for that and I well upped the ability of my VTOL to do that.

Jack Stryker

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 24, 2010, 10:20:53 AM
Yeah - it's very entertaining in MC2 to build a custom Atlas that dual-wields Long Tom Cannons, but that takes up its entire tonnage allotment, or at the very least its grid allotment. Something 1/20 its tonnage and size....

I guess I'll take a company command if it's being offered. B or C company, for long-range direct tactical fire support. Give me an NPC lance of a couple more LRM-kitted heavy mechs and a flanker/bodyguard to keep us safe and I'll be a happy clam. 3 long-range support mechs and a medium/short-range combatant for defense seems like a good lance structure.

Well, I still need your character and 'mech profiles.  After that we can talk about a command.

And for the arty, we'll have 2 Long Tom pieces, and four Sniper pieces.  the Long Toms are on the tracked vehicles of the same name, and the Snipers will be placed on Marksman tanks

TheGlyphstone

I sent it to you already, I thought.

EDIT: Apparently, i didn't. That explains why you never responded to me...sent it again.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Jack Stryker on March 24, 2010, 02:01:39 PM
Well, I still need your character and 'mech profiles.  After that we can talk about a command.

And for the arty, we'll have 2 Long Tom pieces, and four Sniper pieces.  the Long Toms are on the tracked vehicles of the same name, and the Snipers will be placed on Marksman tanks

Doesn't matter they are likely not going to be getting into range of other mechs if I have any say on the matter, after all your jobs is to go and hit the enemy in closer combat. Mine is to soften the big targets up and then well provide support. BTW will the arty have defensive units for anti-aircraft and counter infantry the guns are not good in close or against air units. And she has to protect her people.

Anathanasia

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 24, 2010, 02:41:32 PM
Doesn't matter they are likely not going to be getting into range of other mechs if I have any say on the matter, after all your jobs is to go and hit the enemy in closer combat. Mine is to soften the big targets up and then well provide support. BTW will the arty have defensive units for anti-aircraft and counter infantry the guns are not good in close or against air units. And she has to protect her people.

Exactly, Ruby. Our artillery assets should be kept far, far behind the front lines. Sounds like they are all mobile (as in mounted 'in' a heavy vehicle chassis), as well, which is very helpful; they can be used in tried and true "shoot and scoot" fashion, to help prevent the enemy from back tracking projectile trajectories to determine their position. The enemy will only find their last known, instead. Very handy.

When my friends and I were upgrading some of the conventional forces of the Inner Sphere (we even made things a little better for infantry by reducing the effectiveness of big single target weapons like PPCs...come on, the infantry soldiers would be smart enough not to all hide behind the same shrubbery, really. :P ), we often included SRMs and anti-missile systems as defensive armament on mobile artillery. SRMs are great for eating VTOLs (all those little 2pt chance to hit the rotors or otherwise score a crit on the fragile little things), and AMS works wonders to save your artillery from a sneak SRM infantry attack (then you run away). Naturally, an MG or two is a must...commando type infantry waging strategic warfare is probably the biggest risk to artillery.

Speaking of mobile artillery, when do Arrow IVs become available again? I had a neat little ICE powered hover Arrow IV platform (big cannons and hovercraft don't make sense, the massive kick, but I think big missiles more or less vertically launched are workable). That's a fun bit of mobile firepower, the speed of a hovercraft makes for some good 'scoot', plus the ability to launch from the middle of a lake is pretty handy defensively...  ;D

RubySlippers

Well that is what infantry is for on our end, I see it as mainly to counter their infantry. And anyway I can always place a sensor pod in my fire zone for the artillary to give them a hads up. Why do you think I carry double the number than an ordinary Ferret and move alot faster?

And the VTOL itself has excellent electroncis and detection capability to.

Jack Stryker

Arrow arty didn't come back for a couple years after the rp. 

And yeah, much of the two Support Companies are arty, some light vehicles, transport trucks for supply runs, a couple fighter lances, and some infantry

HairyHeretic

The fighters have a different opinion of just who is the support and who is the real stars of the show ;)

Someone has to keep you groundpounders in line, and pull your asses out of the fire  :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

Arrow missles didnt resurface until after the clan invasions. There *may* have been Arrow mounted vehicles at Tukayyid where the final fight of the invasion was fought. Something that ComStar might have unveiled as a secret weapon. (I have the Blood of Kerensky Books, and I *think* I remember reading about them, then).  The 3040's were an interesting time, but the Clan invasions of the 3050's *really* pushed the tech forward by leaps and bounds. I remember Phelan Kell was just absolutely floored by the tech that the Clanners brought with them. ER lasers, pulse, weapons and mechs there were lighter and more heavily armed, Battle Armor that takes everything below well placed laser fire... When you get to the 3060's your start to see mechs so loaded with fighting systems the pilot only needs to push the "I-WIN" button.

HairyHeretic

I thought being Kai Allard Liao was the I WIN button? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die