Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2017, 12:31:45 PM
I just had a disturbing flashback to the 'field promotions' in the Star Wars original trilogy.
I was thinking more about the Saturday Night Massacre. If a president has done something like this in the civilian administration before, why not in his role as commander in chief?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Well, that worked out so well for Nixon.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2017, 12:31:45 PM
I just had a disturbing flashback to the 'field promotions' in the Star Wars original trilogy.
Are you sure that was star wars???

HannibalBarca

“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Oniya

*nods*  The bit where he gacks someone during a video-call, then turns to the next guy and addresses him by the dead guy's rank.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Fury Aphrodisia

Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Missy

Various

So the Exalted Psychopath went on a Twitter tantrum when he whined about Sen. Jeff Flake and yelled that he is a no vote on the Randian wet dream of a tax bill the GOP is ramming through Congress.

QuoteSen. Jeff Flake(y), who is unelectable in the Great State of Arizona (quit race, anemic polls) was caught (purposely) on 'mike' saying bad things about your favorite President. He'll be a NO on tax cuts because his political career anyway is 'toast.' - The Imperial Asshole Nov 19, 2017

He was declared undecided on the bill until you decided to be a human colonoscopy. Now he's probably a no. Keep in mind their floor is 52 (as no Democrat will vote for it except maaaybe Sen. Manchin) and they already lost one officially (Sen. Johnson). He may have just bought a tie-breaker vote by Pence assuming Sen. Collins or Sen. McCain don't also bolt. Great brain indeed.

[tr]
[td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Various

[tr]
[td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

MiraMirror

But if it's a tie-breaker, won't Pence just vote yes on it, like he did for that one thing before?  ...Or two?
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Trigon

Quote from: MiraMirror on November 20, 2017, 07:10:36 AM
But if it's a tie-breaker, won't Pence just vote yes on it, like he did for that one thing before?  ...Or two?

Five times so far: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tie-breaking_votes_cast_by_vice_presidents_of_the_United_States

All within this year too!

MiraMirror

Lovely [/s]  So we need more people to vote against, because a tie-breaker is obviously in Trump's favor. :/
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on November 19, 2017, 12:28:46 PM
From the CBS article Oniya linked:Really? Wouldn't he just say "you are fired" and find someone else to follow his orders

The expression "you are fired" for not agreeing to fire a nuclear missile - seems...weirdly appropriate. :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Various

Quote from: MiraMirror on November 20, 2017, 07:10:36 AM

Pence (or any Veep) in theory could vote against the President's interest. In practice, I don't think that's every happened, but it's a very real possibility back when had the winner and loser become President and Vice President respectively.*

I use it as a bad thing (from normal perspective), because of the margin of error involved. Pence having five tie-breakers in a year (including for a cabinet position nomination, the first time ever) speaks to two things. First, to the fact that the Senate is very, very close (52-48 when the independents are counted as Democrats for caucus purposes). Second, one of the areas Trump is absolutely and utterly incompetent in is basic statecraft/math. He does this shit constantly where he'll insult a senator over Twitter (as with Flake last night) right before a crucial vote because of some perceived slight.

*Its dysfunctional nature is why we got rid of it. Could you imagine the insanity of President Trump and Vice President Clinton?

As for Oniya's thing, what that general is talking about is international military law. The 'just doing orders' defense against war crimes does not work as the trial at Nuremberg showed. Committing a war crime is the type of order any soldier is duty bound to refuse.
[tr]
[td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Valerian

Quote from: Various on November 20, 2017, 07:05:29 AM
So the Exalted Psychopath went on a Twitter tantrum when he whined about Sen. Jeff Flake and yelled that he is a no vote on the Randian wet dream of a tax bill the GOP is ramming through Congress.

He was declared undecided on the bill until you decided to be a human colonoscopy. Now he's probably a no. Keep in mind their floor is 52 (as no Democrat will vote for it except maaaybe Sen. Manchin) and they already lost one officially (Sen. Johnson). He may have just bought a tie-breaker vote by Pence assuming Sen. Collins or Sen. McCain don't also bolt. Great brain indeed.

I wouldn't count on Johnson staying as a no vote.  After his threats to vote no on one of the many variations of the health care "reform" bill he got a lot of attention which I think flattered his ego a great deal (and got him to switch to a yes vote with very little difficulty).  He's probably hoping for the same thing to happen here, with a slight tweak thrown into the tax reform bill to make him seem victorious.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

Quote from: Various on November 20, 2017, 07:05:29 AM

So - what did Flake say about Grover Cleveland?  I always liked him because he managed to get elected to non-consecutive terms.

What - the tweet said 'your favorite president'.  That puts 45 right out of the running.

Valerian

See, and my favorite has always been James Buchanan because he's a relative of mine (and even more interestingly, the first openly gay president).  45 needs to learn more precision with his language.  ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on November 20, 2017, 11:35:02 AM
So - what did Flake say about Grover Cleveland?  I always liked him because he managed to get elected to non-consecutive terms.

What - the tweet said 'your favorite president'.  That puts 45 right out of the running.

I always liked Grover Cleveland for being the nemesis of a time traveling mad scientist.

Various

Quote from: Oniya on November 20, 2017, 11:35:02 AM

Consider James K. Polk. Polk was a man who at the end of his first term looked around, then looked at his to-do list and said, "Nailed it! I'm going home!".
[tr]
[td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Oniya

*briefly considers trying to get #MyFavoritePresident trending...*

Fury Aphrodisia

#MyFavouritePresident
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on November 20, 2017, 07:34:32 PM
*briefly considers trying to get #MyFavoritePresident trending...*

(Don't watch this one if your eyes are very sensitive to quick flash photography) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIdzsrt4A0Y

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheGlyphstone

#MyFavoritePresident

"I was elected to Lead, not to Read!"

Trigon

Well, according to this, there is a voter who would trust Trump more than he would trust Jesus: https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-voter-on-cnn-if-jesus-christ-told-me-trump-is-with-russia-i-would-check-with-potus/