News:

Main Menu

Tipping Etiquette

Started by Fae Brin, June 25, 2011, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I did act in a positive way I voted for the state higher minimum wage which sets the state wage for tipped workers at a generous $4.29 an hour and everyone else a generous $7.31 an hour as of June 2011.

That is over the $2.13 National Minimum Wage [about 50% less than the state minimum wage] if one does the math on this. And if they bother to post an amendment to raise this again I will vote for it again. But lets see the other laws apply if they don't get tips and salary to match the state minimum wage the employee must get the minimum wage paid. So I don't see how I'm hurting anyone if they get no tips at all they are assured $7.31 per hour for their work so if no one ever tipped a tipped employee they would get that - right?

Since they get the higher state minimum wage I voted giving them a 49+% wage increase I'm so generous and no restaurants closed down over this as far as I can tell. I consider that adequete then if I decide to tip then a small tip of 5-10% should be acceptable its supposed to be extra for ones service but they don't calculate the windfall of the minimum wage in Florida we generously offer. Other states have a higher minimum wage some over Floridas and this includes tipped employees in most cases so I consider that as a factor in tipping.

No one is entitled to tips either one should have a service charge for everyone advertised and notified to the patron or take what tips one decides to freely give and be happy with it. As for the etiquette of tipping just because everyone else does somthing doesn't make it a good practice and you know this as well as I do.

Trieste

Put quite simply: You have no idea what you're talking about. Your posts on this subject (and a few others, I might add) reflect a sense of entitlement that is astounding and an ignorance that is abhorrent in its seeming wilfulness. You have never struggled knowing that you have no way of making ends meet. You use your wheelchair 20 hours a week to soak people out of money that they have spent twice that earning, and then you turn around and look down on the same people for not being as politically active as you think they should be. Did it ever occur to you that the squishy lifestyle you lead on 20 hours of work a week (or was that a month? Doesn't matter, I guess) is partially funded by tip-money? More than likely at least some of the people who contribute money to you because of your wheelchair are funded by tips, and the only reason they will have extra to give you is because other people were much more generous, understanding, and kind than you have been.

I also hope that you don't proselytize to your servers with this self-indulgent "I voted for a $4 minimum wage" diatribe. There is very little more annoying than someone deciding that you personally are responsible for something they don't like, and lecturing to you about it. Waitstaff are not your slaves, to work for you for - oooh, goodie! - $4 an hour, and they are not your servants to be grateful for whatever table scraps you deem appropriate. If you don't like the system, don't bring your inflated sense of entitlement into the eateries that you enjoy because someone busts their ass. If you don't like the system, don't patronize it. But if you're going to patronize it, then respect the people that make the experience nice for you, and pay them properly.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

Beguile's Mistress

That was very generous of your brother.  20% would have been proper and most establishments would have added that to the bill leaving it up to the guest to add more.  A tip of more than $1,000 for that size and nature of a party was wonderful. 

Linwood Badr

I gotta say I agree with everyone who went with I normally always tip. After working as a busboy for almost two years (Which I want to say was worse than what the waiters had to deal with just because we were treated as their lapdogs) I always tip, and I try to be nice to the waiters/servicemen/woman as much as possible. I figure that if I can't remember what assholes I had to serve than I'm no better.

Also, my parents always get a lecture from me whenever they tip less than ten to fifteen percent. The first time I realized they did that I was really annoyed at them, and I don't think they approve of how many times I sometimes go over the 15%.

Kate

Better yet

Add 30 => 50 percent to the cost of everything - and no tipping is necessary (but still permitted) - and the waitresses / waiters get that difference in their base rate

RubySlippers

I'm not opposed to tipping its the cultural expectation in the United States that it automatically is given and must be 15% and more likely 20% everytime for people doing their jobs. In a basic fact I'm not the persons employer I'm the customer its not my job to pay the worker its the employers job so why look to me for more money. Same if you set a fee for a service say a massage therapist charging $50 your fee is your pay, if you need more money ask for a bigger fee. 

If you don't get a wage or set a fee ,I tip bathroom attendents and homeless people doing a service for me well, since like me only get a gratuity for a service if that is a clean bathroom at a busy place or picking up after my dog for me or performing and I like it yes they get a dollar at least. But they aren't employed by someone or can set a fee so its fair they get a modest gratuity.

But no one has a right to a gratuity and if I do give one for good service its never over 10% I just think anyone is worth an 15 to 20%+ tip for doing their jobs in a case where they have a base income or set a fee. Just my opinion and choice naturally.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Trieste on July 29, 2011, 08:12:03 PM
Put quite simply: You have no idea what you're talking about. Your posts on this subject (and a few others, I might add) reflect a sense of entitlement that is astounding and an ignorance that is abhorrent in its seeming wilfulness. You have never struggled knowing that you have no way of making ends meet. You use your wheelchair 20 hours a week to soak people out of money that they have spent twice that earning, and then you turn around and look down on the same people for not being as politically active as you think they should be. Did it ever occur to you that the squishy lifestyle you lead on 20 hours of work a week (or was that a month? Doesn't matter, I guess) is partially funded by tip-money? More than likely at least some of the people who contribute money to you because of your wheelchair are funded by tips, and the only reason they will have extra to give you is because other people were much more generous, understanding, and kind than you have been.

I also hope that you don't proselytize to your servers with this self-indulgent "I voted for a $4 minimum wage" diatribe. There is very little more annoying than someone deciding that you personally are responsible for something they don't like, and lecturing to you about it. Waitstaff are not your slaves, to work for you for - oooh, goodie! - $4 an hour, and they are not your servants to be grateful for whatever table scraps you deem appropriate. If you don't like the system, don't bring your inflated sense of entitlement into the eateries that you enjoy because someone busts their ass. If you don't like the system, don't patronize it. But if you're going to patronize it, then respect the people that make the experience nice for you, and pay them properly.

+1.

I always found it ironic when a person who is using social services and other government assistance decides to look down on folks who work for tips.  "I get money for free!  You don't deserve a tip even though you work for a shit wage!"

Ignorance, plain and simple.

Oreo

I have to agree. I have been on both sides of that fence; a waitress and now disabled. I still leave a 15 - 20% tip on the rare occasion when I can afford to eat out. I also leave a dollar tip in places where someone has to come bus my table after I leave, like a buffet diner.

It actually bothers me to no end that I eat better on disability than I did when I was working. Ain't that a kick in the pants?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Blitzy

Quote from: Trieste on July 29, 2011, 08:12:03 PM

Fully and totally agree.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Kate

Actually I have a much better idea.

If any have read the Culture Series by Ian M Banks.... the would know its a utopia that is somewhat feasible - although in the distant future.

AI is awesome => Machines and computers are all programmed with a bias of being pleased making people happy - but not at the expense of other peoples happiness or other options - they run and do everything ... and mainly are designed to create utopia for people, and all people do is do whatever they want, if they like killing people => Fine machines / computers etc simulate whatever the like.

If they WANT to work - they can overseeing directions of some robots somewhere - even if its less efficient, most people just run around trying to see to romantic and artistic endevours.... wanna be in command of something ... as long as most of it is robots ... or those who WANT to be under you ... no problem.

Project Utopia

Silverfyre

Quote from: Kate on July 31, 2011, 12:08:50 AM
Actually I have a much better idea.

If any have read the Culture Series by Ian M Banks.... the would know its a utopia that is somewhat feasible - although in the distant future.

AI is awesome => Machines and computers are all programmed with a bias of being pleased making people happy - but not at the expense of other peoples happiness or other options - they run and do everything ... and mainly are designed to create utopia for people, and all people do is do whatever they want, if they like killing people => Fine machines / computers etc simulate whatever the like.

If they WANT to work - they can overseeing directions of some robots somewhere - even if its less efficient, most people just run around trying to see to romantic and artistic endevours.... wanna be in command of something ... as long as most of it is robots ... or those who WANT to be under you ... no problem.

Project Utopia

This hardly solves the current problem of people not using proper taxing etiquette.  Robots and utopian futures are nice, but that's a whole other discussion.

Kate

Well with THAT attitude its a different topic ...

oh if people only knew such views are part of the problem :) lol :P

Silverfyre

Soooooooo, because I don't think that robots and utopians societies are going to happen overnight, my attitude is a problem that affects how I tip?  Sorry, you are offering solutions that are both unrealistic at the moment with our current levels of technology and a long way off.  Tipping etiquette deals more with the human element and the discussion on what would be the proper amount and the reasoning behind each person's opinion on what they feel is reasonable to give/not to give, is it not?

Kate

QuoteThis hardly solves the current problem of people not using proper taxing etiquette.  Robots and utopian futures are nice, but that's a whole other discussion.

Ok silver-seriousness :)

My intention wasn't to solve a current problem over night

Quote from: Fae Brin on June 25, 2011, 12:51:37 AM
It's-- sort of educational?

For anyone with vague or concrete travel plans, anyway...

Tipping Etiquette Around the World

"for anyone with a vague OR concrete plan" .. as in concrete OR vague.

My "vague" futuristic utopian injection wasn't intending to offend - it was light hearted but yes related.

If my perspective is something you want to be irrelevant - then ignore it.

Silverfyre

I apologize if you think I'm calling it "irrelevant" in general: I meant it in the sense that it is hardly a plausible solution to the current discussion.  While utopian theory is something I personally find fascinating, a world full of robots that do our bidding is a long, long way off from a scientific stand point and hardly contributes to how we should handle tipping.  Again, my opinion.

Kate

What is plausible / relevant / subjective vs objectively "topical", who was mis-interpreted - it doesn't matter lets drop it - all cool :)

Haloriel

I've never stiffed a person in service, and I always give at least 10%, usually 20%.  I've also never had a rude server -- not ever.  For catering events I will give a hundred to divide between the staff, depending upon number.  When I married, my officiant did not charge us.  We tipped her two hundred dollars.  Things like taxes and tips do not bother me, and tolls.  Most countries pay much more for their social services. 

Personally, if there was a way to raise the minimum wage to that of a living wage for every worker in the country, I would love that, and I wouldn't care if my taxes were high as a result, or I had to pay more for goods.  I still would be a tipper, even then. :)  Service is a hard job, that is unappreciated, like teachers.  It's ridiculous that we give millions to entertainers, but those that ensure our society remains, those that educate our children have so little.

I'm more inclined to give a homeless person a bite to eat, or some money also, before I would send money to some charity -- even though such are also worthy.  There's something about the smile and gratitude when such things are done personally that's amazing.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Haloriel on July 31, 2011, 03:42:53 PM
I've never stiffed a person in service, and I always give at least 10%, usually 20%.  I've also never had a rude server -- not ever.  For catering events I will give a hundred to divide between the staff, depending upon number.  When I married, my officiant did not charge us.  We tipped her two hundred dollars.  Things like taxes and tips do not bother me, and tolls.  Most countries pay much more for their social services. 

Personally, if there was a way to raise the minimum wage to that of a living wage for every worker in the country, I would love that, and I wouldn't care if my taxes were high as a result, or I had to pay more for goods.  I still would be a tipper, even then. :)  Service is a hard job, that is unappreciated, like teachers.  It's ridiculous that we give millions to entertainers, but those that ensure our society remains, those that educate our children have so little.

I'm more inclined to give a homeless person a bite to eat, or some money also, before I would send money to some charity -- even though such are also worthy.  There's something about the smile and gratitude when such things are done personally that's amazing.

Very well said. You captured my own view on the subject matter better than I could have said it. My mother raised three kids as a waitress and while single so I never stiff my servers.  I know how hard that sort of work is and it is just ridiculous not to tip them.

TheGlyphstone

Not to mention the staggering level of willful naievity necessary to say 'just strike/unionize for better wages' - the recession is far from over, and the unemployment rate is still at 9.2 percent as of June. There's far too many jobless people who'd be happy to take that waitressing or busboy spot even if it's not enough for them to live on, because that's still more than the nothing they have currently...any tip-worker who gets 'uppity' will just find themselves fired and replaced.

Haloriel

I worked in service for sometime myself.  I think the political process stalls in Washington because so few of our government officials are often independently wealthy to at least a small degree.  They haven't a clue what it is like to live from paycheck to paycheck, or perhaps lose a job due to downsizing.

I grew up in a well to do home, yet my father insisted we all get jobs as soon as we could get permits. :)

Haloriel

So many are independently wealthy, I mean.  Hurray for typos. :)

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 31, 2011, 05:30:11 PM
Not to mention the staggering level of willful naievity necessary to say 'just strike/unionize for better wages' - the recession is far from over, and the unemployment rate is still at 9.2 percent as of June. There's far too many jobless people who'd be happy to take that waitressing or busboy spot even if it's not enough for them to live on, because that's still more than the nothing they have currently...any tip-worker who gets 'uppity' will just find themselves fired and replaced.

Not to mention the states that are putting up laws to yank the teeth out of 'collective bargaining'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

dana eleanor

I tip servers anything between $5-10, depending on if they were nice and had a smile on their faces, because I have had some bad servers who had fake smiles and they were having bad days, so I only tipped them $5.

Kate

Hey guys i know the unemployment rate is higher than figures show as many figures include part time etc - ie below what really can support a person let alone a family.

how bad is it in the usa now ?

Blitzy

In my town right now it's god awful. The space center just shut down and we lost something like, 3 thousand people were laid off. That's not including the ones who's jobs had been cut before Atlantis landing, those who's contracts are due to expire very soon, and the fall out from various businesses closing down around our towns because there's less tourism. :( It is bad.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.