News:

Main Menu

Favorite Reboot

Started by CaptainNexus616, January 17, 2015, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

Alright it is no secret it is really hit or miss with reboot films and TV shows these days. However not all of them are terrible, so what was one reboot you actually enjoyed and why?

I would have to say one of mine would have to be Batman Begins. It took the Batman franchise back to its dark roots following the Nipple Armor era and gave it a more realistic approach which was rare for a Superhero movie to do without someone shooting lasers out there eyes or something.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Zekromnomnom

Fairly obscure ones here, but Cartoon Network ran both a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon in the early 2000s and I rather enjoyed both. Both, for me, seemed like they would be very accessible to children without being as hokey and campy as the originals. And I felt like both had some neat and weird twists for some episodes, like in one He-Man episode they found these bee people who made a special kind of honey comb that was like steroids for the good guys and bad guys, or in one episode of the Ninja Turtles one, they ended up on a jungle planet fighting like these weird alien dinosaur monsters and they had to make new weapons out of some red crystal they found.

Inkidu

As a reboot-reimagining combo XCOM Enemy series.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Well, aside from all the brilliant Batman ones . . .

Dredd. Dredd was an amazing action movie - one of the few true action movies I've seen in recent years.

Mathim

Frankly if there was a reboot/remake of something I'd want to see, then we'd have something to talk about. If they decide one day to remake Soylent Green, that will be awesomesauce. That, and maybe a remake/sequel to They Live which they could call "They Live, We Sleep". Both would benefit greatly from today's sfx.

But the only remake I can possibly think of that I enjoyed over the original? Fright Night. It just worked way better, as far as writing, casting and setting. The sfx were only marginally important to upgrade, the rest of it was what made it more enjoyable.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

xerohour

My favourite reboot of a franchise that I can think of off the top of my head is the Amazing Spiderman movies. The first Tobey Mcguire one was pretty good, but Spiderman 2/3 were both pretty bad (both in special effects and in keeping to the source material). I have yet to figure out why so many people don't like the new ones though, it's almost like Tobey crying every six seconds sits better with them as Spiderman as opposed to Andrew Garfield's take of being acrobatic and a smart alec. You know...the way Spiderman actually is.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on January 18, 2015, 06:59:00 AM
Fairly obscure ones here, but Cartoon Network ran both a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon in the early 2000s and I rather enjoyed both. Both, for me, seemed like they would be very accessible to children without being as hokey and campy as the originals. And I felt like both had some neat and weird twists for some episodes, like in one He-Man episode they found these bee people who made a special kind of honey comb that was like steroids for the good guys and bad guys, or in one episode of the Ninja Turtles one, they ended up on a jungle planet fighting like these weird alien dinosaur monsters and they had to make new weapons out of some red crystal they found.

Two amazing shows in their time, I wish He-Man ran longer than it did. The 2003 TMNT is what got me into that franchise I heard the 2012 CG version has been doing well for itself as well.

Quote from: Hemingway on January 18, 2015, 01:26:37 PM
Well, aside from all the brilliant Batman ones . . .

Dredd. Dredd was an amazing action movie - one of the few true action movies I've seen in recent years.

Yes. Just Yes. I expected little out of Dredd but I was so pleased with it, that movie deserves a good sequel.

Quote from: xerohour on January 18, 2015, 08:06:01 PM
My favourite reboot of a franchise that I can think of off the top of my head is the Amazing Spiderman movies. The first Tobey Mcguire one was pretty good, but Spiderman 2/3 were both pretty bad (both in special effects and in keeping to the source material). I have yet to figure out why so many people don't like the new ones though, it's almost like Tobey crying every six seconds sits better with them as Spiderman as opposed to Andrew Garfield's take of being acrobatic and a smart alec. You know...the way Spiderman actually is.

Well I think he does a great Spider-Man but as for Peter Parker its a bit iffy for me. Though I think a big issue with Spider-Man today and I have said this on another thread. We have been seeing solo Spidey films for over ten years now and when you really strip them down to the basics its just Peter dealing with real life problems then Web Swinging into battle.

Though I do like the twist they got for the new ones on having this big mystery around Spidey's parents whom were rarely if never mentioned in the Tobey McGuire movies.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Then you must never have had a single conversation with someone who's seen them, since the list of complaints is fairly bulky and completely valid. But we can talk about it in the superhero movies thread. Not saying the originals were good, but these remakes (Mark WEBB as the director? Did they seriously think that was funny?) aren't even trying.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Zekromnomnom

For me,  I think CaptainNexus makes a fair point, but also I kind of thing some of it has to do with people who are just used to Tobey Macguire being their Spiderman. I know it's been that way for a lot of people I've talked to.

CaptainNexus616

Has anyone here seen the remake of Thundercats back in '11? Any recommendations?

Zekromnomnom

I got like five episodes in but I watched it through a streaming site that kinda sucked. It was pretty neat insofar as I got, but I heard the show ended on a really dumb note.

Jag

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 19, 2015, 01:31:43 AM
Two amazing shows in their time, I wish He-Man ran longer than it did. The 2003 TMNT is what got me into that franchise I heard the 2012 CG version has been doing well for itself as well.

Mini-Jag and I watch the new TMNT all the time. She loves it and I like it too. I was put off by the animation style at first, but the plot holds well. It's light hearted at times, but still manages to have a very serious (and even sad) side to it for a kids show. Both their Monster of the Week and plot episodes are good.

It actually ran into one of the issues that Korra did. Which was on-screen character deaths. They realized that the turtles were going to have to kill Foot Ninja to accomplish their goals and so went back to what the original cartoon had with robotic Foot Ninja. That way they wouldn't be killing living people on screen, but could still do full fight scenes.

Nick ended up moving it from it's original Saturday morning cartoon spot to a later at night spot because it got moved up from a G rating to a PG rating and now a PG-13 rating.

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 23, 2015, 02:37:58 PM
Has anyone here seen the remake of Thundercats back in '11? Any recommendations?

I tried to watch it. But the storyline for it got weird and not in a fun way.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Jagerin on January 23, 2015, 03:01:47 PM
Mini-Jag and I watch the new TMNT all the time. She loves it and I like it too. I was put off by the animation style at first, but the plot holds well. It's light hearted at times, but still manages to have a very serious (and even sad) side to it for a kids show. Both their Monster of the Week and plot episodes are good.

It actually ran into one of the issues that Korra did. Which was on-screen character deaths. They realized that the turtles were going to have to kill Foot Ninja to accomplish their goals and so went back to what the original cartoon had with robotic Foot Ninja. That way they wouldn't be killing living people on screen, but could still do full fight scenes.

I remember Samurai Jack using the same loophole years back. It got pretty violent at times and they even used Oil to splatter all over Jack in one or two episodes to substitute for blood. There is no way that scene would have flew under the radar on today's Cartoon Network. 

Jag

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 23, 2015, 03:15:53 PM
I remember Samurai Jack using the same loophole years back. It got pretty violent at times and they even used Oil to splatter all over Jack in one or two episodes to substitute for blood. There is no way that scene would have flew under the radar on today's Cartoon Network.

Oh, now I miss Samurai Jack. I haven't thought about it in years. That was a great show. I was so sad when Mako died, he did so well with the voice of Aku.

I loved Jack's character and the Scotsman.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment