[Interest Check] RWBY Roleplay (Co-GM Welcome)

Started by Florence, February 14, 2015, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

So I have to admit, I don't have the biggest plan for what I want to do for this, but I thought I'd see if there was much interest before I really started working on that.

Just a heads up, while this is going to be an AU (I'd rather not be bogged down making sure it fits with the established timeline), and will focus on an original story with original characters, I cannot completely rule out the possibility of spoilers.

Before I go on to what I do have, some information about RWBY for those who may not be familiar, though I would certainly recommend at least starting to watch it:

RWBY is an action-adventure web-series (which can be watched on Netflix instant streaming, or for free on Youtube) created by the late Monty Oum, who sadly passed away earlier this month. It draws inspiration from anime and JRPGs as well as both Western and Eastern folklore. It is set in the world of Remnant, where humanity was once nearly wiped out by the appearance of monsters called Grimm, until the discovery of a substance called Dust, which is... to put it simply, magic in a jar. Using Dust, humanity fought back, and managed to establish a peaceful civilization.

The over all technology of the world is similar to what one might expect from one of the more sci-fi Final Fantasy games. Dust exists as a sort of magitech substance, airships and robots co-exist with much of what you'd see in the real modern world, as well as devices called "scrolls" which can be seen as sort of the logical extreme of real world smartphones or tablets, being collapsible all-in-one handheld devices that seem to combine phones, computers, ID cards, as well as being able to monitor the aura of one's team.

Now, the four kingdoms of Vacuo, Vale, Atlas, and Mistral exist in a state of peace, though there is tension between the two predominant sentient races of the world: Humans, who essentially control the world, and Faunus, who are much like humans, except that they possess certain animal characteristics (ie. cat ears, monkey tails, horns, etc.), who have historically been discriminated against, and even once waged a war of revolution against humanity. A group called the White Fang were created as a result of this discrimination. Initially a relatively peaceful group seeking to better the lives of Faunus around the world, the group has since turned violent, engaging in various crimes to further their agenda.

While the world is, ultimately, still in a time of peace, schools in each of the four kingdoms continue to train individuals known as Huntsmen and Huntresses. They are trained in the use of complex weapons and fighting techniques, including the use of dust, and most importantly, the use of Aura. Aura is one thing that sets the Grimm apart from all other living things. Aura comes from one's soul, and since Grimm lack souls, being creatures of darkness, they also lack Aura. Aura can be used in a variety of ways, to shield oneself from damage, as well as utilizing innate special abilities unique to every person called Semblances. A Semblance can be almost any sort of special ability, for instance, the four main protagonists have the following Semblances: bursts of super speed, conjuring glyphs which can be used as mid-air platforms or to enhance velocity, creating a shadow clone, and growing stronger by taking more damage. It is important, though, to be clear, that as far as has been established, a person can only have ONE Semblance, so you can't have, for example, bursts of speed AND shadow clones.

Another thing to note are the weapons, which are often complex and multi-formed. Ruby's scythe, for instance, is both a scythe AND a high powered rifle. Weapons shifting between ranged and melee forms is common, as well as being capable of both in a single form. Again using Ruby's scythe for an example, it can shift between scythe and gun forms, but even in scythe form it is capable of firing, with Ruby often using the force of the recoil to propel herself forward or to add more velocity to a melee attack. Many weapons, particularly larger ones (again, like Ruby's scythe), are also capable of collapsing into a more easy-to-store form when not in use.

Huntsmen and Huntresses attend school as parts of 4-person teams, named after the first letter of each person's name; for example the two most prominent teams in the series are RWBY (Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang; pronounced Ruby), and JNPR (Jaune, Nora, Pyrrha, Ren; pronounced Juniper). Their duty, once graduating, is to protect the people of the four kingdoms from the threat of the Grimm, or whatever other darkness may threaten the world.

Two key aspects of the series worth keeping in mind are the theme of colors, and the rule of cool. Color plays a prominent role in the design of the series, most obvious in the four main characters, each representing a different color: Red, White, Black and Yellow. Official guidelines put out by Monty Oum himself establish the importance of color in naming original characters. By 'rule of cool', I mean, this is one of those series where the laws of physics are consistently trumped by the laws of awesomeness. As expected from the creator of Dead Fantasy, characters in RWBY are free to run up surfaces, leap across pieces of falling debris and rubble, survive falls from extreme heights, etc. RWBY is an incredibly stylish and beautifully animated, with a kickass soundtrack to boot.

The concept I do have in mind is a freeform rp that follows the 'rule of cool' over too much worrying about little details. I don't know how many characters would be accepted, but I am thinking perhaps as few as 4, allowing for a full team, while I handle the various NPCs and whatnot. At the same time, I would like to allow more in, but I would have to consider 1) the 4 person team structure that I would like to keep in place, and 2) not letting the rp get dragged down by too many inactive players.

One idea for a concept I had was to accept 4 players as a rookie team of Hunters, with me taking the role of a veteran who is overseeing them on their first mission, as well as various NPCs. This way we can avoid the hassle of replicating school life with classes and all that boring stuff, or trying to work around them, and just focus on the adventure, action and... yes, probably some sex as well.

Alternatively, if I get a Co-GM who can help sort out all of that stuff, we could focus on one of the academies, like Beacon, which would probably be more authentic to the series and allow for characters to really start at square 1, as well as allowing for more player characters than just the 4.

I would like to keep the style of RWBY present in the roleplay, following simple guidelines of 'don't be a jerk and don't godmod or powergame', basically. If you're fighting another player character for whatever reason, ya know, focus more on making the fight stylish and fun than 'winning', and maybe PM the other player to work out some neat little stunts and moves you can pull off. When fighting against NPC enemies, go nuts. All I ask is that your combat actions are at least vaguely plausible. You can run up the wall of a building a little ways and flip off of it, yes, but you can't just run all the way up the building and chill on the roof unless you have something boosting your movement (ie. the scene where Weiss's glyphs help Ruby run all the way up a cliff), and you certainly can't JUMP all the way over a building.

As for erotic content, I think a simple rule of 'whatever makes sense ICly' works. I don't want smut to be the focus of the story, but by all means, if characters are going to bang, let 'em bang. Don't think its the kind of rp where all problems will be solved with sex, though. This is RWBY. Most problems will likely be solved with flashy, over-the-top fight sequences.

As stated above, I am certainly interested in a Co-GM to help keep things running smoothly, particularly if the story focuses on a school setting. Someone to hash ideas out with and pick up the slack if something comes up on my end, play some of the NPCs and stuff like that.

So yeah. There ya go. Who would be interested?

Edit: Also, have some helpful links if you're new to the series.

RWBY Wiki
Character Trailers
Episode 1: Ruby Rose
Official Character Naming Rules

Character Sheet is here!

Character Sheet
CHARACTER IMAGE GOES HERE IF YOU HAVE ONE

Name: Keep the following rules in mind: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaWUEHUCQAAi4zq.png
Color Allusion: In other words, how does your chosen name relate to a color?

Race: Human, Faunus or Half-Breed. Half-Breeds can vary in appearance from totally human to looking like a full-blooded Faunus and shades in between.
Animal: If Faunus or Half-Breed, what species of animal is the character based on?
Age: (Characters are Graduates.) Most graduated hunters are at least 21, but some can be a few years younger if they skipped years during schooling. Do not make your character below 21 unless you feel them skipping a few years of education is important to their backstory and character.
Gender: Being a Liege myself, this rp is most definitely open to any and all variations of gender identity!
Sexual Orientation: This rp is also most definitely open to pretty much any sexual orientation!

Weapon: Please list any and all forms or special features the weapon possesses.
Semblance: You don't have to list every individual application of the Semblance, just make sure to be clear about what the ability is and how it works.

Appearance: Describe your character's appearance here. This is especially important if you don't have a character image.

Personality: You don't have to be super in depth here, and I understand that a character's personality may differ once you actually start to play them, and really start to get inside their head. Simply show that you have a decent concept of a character here.

History: If you have anything you'd like to keep secret, run it by me in PMs. Otherwise, give us an idea of what the character has been up to up until the start of the rp.

Ons: What sexual activities are you down with concerning this character?
Offs: What sexual activities are you NOT down with concerning this character?

Symbol: Optional; If your character has a recurring motif or symbol, describe it, or post an image here, and explain what its visible on. Use spoilers for images.
Theme Music: Optional; If your character has a theme song or theme music, list it here. Use spoilers.

[center][img][/img][/center]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Color Allusion:[/b]

[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Animal:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]

[b]Weapon:[/b]
[b]Semblance:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b]

[b]Ons:[/b]
[b]Offs:[/b]

[b]Symbol:[/b]
[b]Theme Music:[/b]

Example sheet coming soon!
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Wolfy

Totally interested! :D

Also, in case you didn't know and if anyone is interested, you can find the entirety of Season 1 and Season 2 on Netflix. ^-^

Florence

I think I mentioned Netflix in my post actually, but yes! It's pretty awesome!

Also, I added the character naming rules that Monty Oum posted to twitter a while back into my first post. I actually meant to include them originally, but I took so long writing that, by the time I hit 'post' I had completely forgotten about it xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Juggtacular

Color me interested as well. See what I did there?  ::)

Zaer Darkwail

I voice out interest also :). I reserve below pic (yes, aim for faun) and name for myself;

Gray

Sessha

This looks interesting. I have a few characters in mind to use in the RWBYverse so yeah count me un.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Silk

I've recently just watched it on netflix so I'm hella interested. :)

DarkNevaeh

DinaFlower

I am 100% interested. And if you need a co GM for things that have to do with the world, I can help with that part. I have watched the show a LOT. So I could help with that part. But I am not a good GM. =/

RIP, Monty. Your death has been hard for us all. You will be remembered and Loved for a long time yet.

Florence

Well, there's certainly enough interest to do something! I'm surprised by the sudden burst of interest while I slept.

The question now is what to do.

Considering the interest, I'm thinking of foregoing the four person team concept and instead focus on perhaps... a strategic location for the kingdom of Vale, where there's a high concentration of Grimm. Somewhere on the edges of civilization that has a number of Hunters stationed there long term, guarding against Grimm and taking various missions when needed.

Something like that might work, and can account for player characters coming and going as needed, I think.

DarkNevaeh

We could always set up a base in that fenced off, half grimm invested area in the SE.

Silk

Well the idea of four person teams was something Ozpin used, so it doesn't nessercarily need to carry over, especially if it's not a time of peace so escalation could easily be a thing.

DinaFlower

Would a Beacon thread be something that could happen? I really REALLY want to do some RP at Beacon with other students. Maybe it could be a "history" type thing? Or something? IDK... And maybe people could say that they where on the same team together when they where at Beacon and so it will give them a strong relationship?

DarkNevaeh

Florence

Quote from: DinaFlower on February 15, 2015, 12:41:40 PM
Would a Beacon thread be something that could happen? I really REALLY want to do some RP at Beacon with other students. Maybe it could be a "history" type thing? Or something? IDK... And maybe people could say that they where on the same team together when they where at Beacon and so it will give them a strong relationship?

I honestly would love to have the rp at Beacon, but my biggest problem with that is figuring out how to go about handling the classes and other school related events in order to make it feel authentic. That would be my biggest need from a Co-GM, figuring out how to handle that sort of stuff and working it out so things flow smoothly.

I could probably put up a flashback thread, though, for people who want to explore their characters histories, whether at Beacon or elsewhere.

As for them being on the same team together, by all means, you're free to work out those sort of details amongst yourselves. You'll probably want to plan out your names so the team name can actually sound like something clever.

And don't forget the color naming rules. :-)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

You guys start thinking up some characters, I'll try to have at least some sheets up soon.

DarkNevaeh

Name: Tyrian Nyte (Tyrian is Purple)

Race: Human

Weapon: Twin bladed scimitars that come together at the hilt to make a bow.  One hilt holds an auto stringer, the other a rotating dust container.

Semblance: Shaper-Able to shape small particles (no bigger then a quarter) into other particle things and hold it together as long as the fingers touch them.  using this and the rotating dust container, he can make arrows using dust.

Basic...stuff.  How's that Florence?

Sessha

Name: Primrose Holiday (Primrose if both a color and a flower)  ;D

Weapon: Dual lever-action sawed off shotguns with bayonets. One named Morning Rose and the second one named Evening Rose

Semblance: Double-Tap, first hit marks the the victim with a target, hitting the same spot again would cause an explosion

DinaFlower

Name: Crimson Snow

Race:Human

Height:4'10

Outfit Desc:She really has no set style. It changes day to day. I will let you know what she has on in my post though.

Physical Appearance:Crimson has thick, long, soft, wavy, auburn hair that flows to her lower back. Her skin is rather pail and nearly flawless. There is a small, crystal scar across the left side of her neck. Her lips are full and more red than pink. Long, lush eyelashes hang over her emerald eyes. Her small frame seems fragile to most. "Huntress" is not the first thing to come to mind when you look at her. At only 91lb she looks as though a strong wind would blow her away.

Weapon: Twin Dragon. A two headed scythe that can come apart into two hand scythes. In each one is also a shotgun that shoots massive buck shot. When he is in his "closed" state he can act as a double barrel shotgun by the end of a scythe shooting out to act as a stock. When she uses the shotgun part, Crimson calls it "breathing fire."

Semblance: Blink- Short range teleportation.

DinaFlower

As for Beacon. The classes could be implied? Unless someone just wants to be a Professor and teach a class. Post could make a reference to classes and the like. Stuff like being late to a class. Just getting out of a class. having an assignment they need to do. And there could be stuff, like going into the forest to get a jar of sap, that everyone has to do. That was there would be the combat stuff that everyone wants. And still have the ambiance of a school manifest in the RP?

IDK, just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Florence

Quote from: DarkNevaeh on February 15, 2015, 04:46:51 PM
Name: Tyrian Nyte (Tyrian is Purple)

Race: Human

Weapon: Twin bladed scimitars that come together at the hilt to make a bow.  One hilt holds an auto stringer, the other a rotating dust container.

Semblance: Shaper-Able to shape small particles (no bigger then a quarter) into other particle things and hold it together as long as the fingers touch them.  using this and the rotating dust container, he can make arrows using dust.

Basic...stuff.  How's that Florence?

... that is actually a remarkable similar weapon idea I had for a RWBY character, though I don't think I'll that for this rp.

Definitely like it :3

Quote from: Sessha on February 15, 2015, 05:11:48 PM
Name: Primrose Holiday (Primrose if both a color and a flower)  ;D

Weapon: Dual lever-action sawed off shotguns with bayonets. One named Morning Rose and the second one named Evening Rose

Semblance: Double-Impact: It gives the ability to coat a single bullet in aura forming a drill end on it for deeper penetration while the second shot from the second gun has the dust hyper-accelerated to produce a bigger explosion. Both of which are fired with a tenth of a second of each other so the bullets will hit the same target at nearly the same time. The first round pierces the hide and digs deep while the second one explodes after entering that hole causing more internal damage.

Hope this is a good start as well.

My only concern here is that her semblance is a little... specific. Most semblances seem to be more like general abilities, where this sounds like a very specific technique.

Otherwise, sounds cool!

Quote from: DinaFlower on February 15, 2015, 05:52:42 PM
Name: Crimson Snow

Race:Human

Height:4'10

Outfit Desc:She really has no set style. It changes day to day. I will let you know what she has on in my post though.

Physical Appearance:Crimson has thick, long, soft, wavy, auburn hair that flows to her lower back. Her skin is rather pail and nearly flawless. There is a small, crystal scar across the left side of her neck. Her lips are full and more red than pink. Long, lush eyelashes hang over her emerald eyes. Her small frame seems fragile to most. "Huntress" is not the first thing to come to mind when you look at her. At only 91lb she looks as though a strong wind would blow her away.

Weapon: Twin Dragon. A two headed scythe that can come apart into two hand scythes. In each one is also a shotgun that shoots massive buck shot. When he is in his "closed" state he can act as a double barrel shotgun by the end of a scythe shooting out to act as a stock. When she uses the shotgun part, Crimson calls it "breathing fire."

Semblance: Blink- Short range teleportation.

I like it! Her weapon is sort of like... a different spin on Ruby's scythe.

Quote from: DinaFlower on February 15, 2015, 05:59:08 PM
As for Beacon. The classes could be implied? Unless someone just wants to be a Professor and teach a class. Post could make a reference to classes and the like. Stuff like being late to a class. Just getting out of a class. having an assignment they need to do. And there could be stuff, like going into the forest to get a jar of sap, that everyone has to do. That was there would be the combat stuff that everyone wants. And still have the ambiance of a school manifest in the RP?

IDK, just trying to throw some ideas out there.

I'm thinking for now anything Beacon related will be relegated to flashbacks.

On that note, one blanket response to all the characters so far is age.

Since the main timeline of the rp will be set after the characters graduate, they should be at least 21. I'll accept characters as young as 19, but their backstory will have to explain why they skipped a year or two of school.

From what we see in RWBY, most students (Weiss, Blake and Yang, for example) are accepted into Beacon at 17. They do seem to, at least in some cases, allow accelerated entry into the academy, as in the case for Ruby, who's 15.

Based on Ozpin's dialogue concerning how long the teams will be together, it seems that it takes about 4 years to graduate, meaning most students will be 21 upon graduation.

On a final note, when I have the character sheets up, I'll put up an example with them, which will be a key NPC in charge of coordinating the local hunters and organizing missions. She's a senior huntress herself, but generally doesn't go out on field missions. Her name is Vanna Soun.

Her weapon is a naginata which doubles as a rifle. The blade can also be detached, remaining connected to the rest of the weapon via retractable chain. Similarly, the rifle end (which consists of most of the length of the handle) can be detached (unlike the blade, it detaches completely, with no connecting chain), allowing her to wield the rifle separately from the blade, as well as giving her a smaller handle to more easily control the motion of the chain with. Like many weapons in RWBY, it can also be collapsed into a smaller, travel-size version when not in use.

Her Semblance is the ability to psychically project her consciousness. Essentially, she can use it, via a form of meditation, to view distant events. She can even speak telepathically with those she is viewing. This is the primary reason she was relegated to a command position, as it gives her a unique edge in coordinating hunters on the field.

As far as her personality and character go, she's a respected hunter, well known among hunters, though she doesn't quite have the same level of celebrity among civilians, due to her lack of a field presence, except with the locals. She's known to be harsh but fair in her treatment of other hunters, and exceptionally selfless in her dealings with civilians. What little stories there are of her working on the field tell of her being extremely ruthless in her treatment of enemies, be they Grimm or people.

Her father Prak Soun was something of a celebrity among hunters before his death, though unlike his daughter, he was a field agent for his entire career. He used the same weapon she uses, but his Semblance was more akin to Ruby's, giving him bursts of speed.

Edit: Oh, and anyone curious about the names.

Vanna and Prak are Khmer names.

Vanna means Golden, and Prak means Silver.

Zaer Darkwail

Silber Grau (silver grey in german)
Weapon: Pair of battle gauntlets which sprout long razor sharp blades to the side and allow extend them longer and wider to allow glide from heights/slow falls while keeping arms spread (they are thin and light weight). The blades also can be launched from the gauntlets (either as long blades or rapid short bladed barrage).
Semblance: Unknown (has never shown up, but has exceptional Aura which allows very rapid natural healing rate and extreme endurance)
Background: Silber Grau arrived to Beacon academy from one four academies from the world but later on was figured out he entered with false papers but she had already been three years in Beacon part of her team, so Ozpin left her be but investigated her past further through private interview where she told her reason for secrecy and fake ID. Whatever reasons she told Ozpin accepted them and she continued still under her false alias and so far haven't told even her teammates what exactly her story is. More told it's for their own safety she does not tell anything and if it shows up or becomes relevant she will tell. But her own real age is older than what Beacon usually accepts (one reason why she used fake ID) and age with fauns is hard to tell on surface. So far she has not shared any details of her personal life with anyone (in sense she is quiet sort but sociable and as she keeps her secrets she easily keep others secrets unless they endanger themselves or others).

Either case in Beacon she was regular troublemaker, as she very vocally and also physically defended other fauns in the Beacon. Fight bullies and get into fist fights with them regular basis. She's proud being faun but whenever asked about White Fang she gets quite troubled and likes change the subject to something else. So far she has told she does not agree on what White Fang is now though. She is close and personal fighter and has enjoyment for wrestling with friends and likes drinking hard alcohol (and drink people under table through drinking contest as her aura boosts her metabolism rates to ridiculous levels). She likes to jog, sprint and otherwise enjoy long exercises outdoors. Snow makes her go melancholy mood as it reminds her about her childhood home.

Florence

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 15, 2015, 08:17:53 PM
Silber Grau (silver grey in german)
Weapon: Pair of battle gauntlets which sprout long razor sharp blades to the side and allow extend them longer and wider to allow glide from heights/slow falls while keeping arms spread (they are thin and light weight). The blades also can be launched from the gauntlets (either as long blades or rapid short bladed barrage).
Semblance: Unknown (has never shown up, but has exceptional Aura which allows very rapid natural healing rate and extreme endurance)
Background: Silber Grau arrived to Beacon academy from one four academies from the world but later on was figured out he entered with false papers but she had already been three years in Beacon part of her team, so Ozpin left her be but investigated her past further through private interview where she told her reason for secrecy and fake ID. Whatever reasons she told Ozpin accepted them and she continued still under her false alias and so far haven't told even her teammates what exactly her story is. More told it's for their own safety she does not tell anything and if it shows up or becomes relevant she will tell. But her own real age is older than what Beacon usually accepts (one reason why she used fake ID) and age with fauns is hard to tell on surface. So far she has not shared any details of her personal life with anyone (in sense she is quiet sort but sociable and as she keeps her secrets she easily keep others secrets unless they endanger themselves or others).

Either case in Beacon she was regular troublemaker, as she very vocally and also physically defended other fauns in the Beacon. Fight bullies and get into fist fights with them regular basis. She's proud being faun but whenever asked about White Fang she gets quite troubled and likes change the subject to something else. So far she has told she does not agree on what White Fang is now though. She is close and personal fighter and has enjoyment for wrestling with friends and likes drinking hard alcohol (and drink people under table through drinking contest as her aura boosts her metabolism rates to ridiculous levels). She likes to jog, sprint and otherwise enjoy long exercises outdoors. Snow makes her go melancholy mood as it reminds her about her childhood home.

I Like it! :D

Also, a heads up on something I hadn't really considered before:

Half-Breeds. It was confirmed during a Rooster Teeth livestream that Humans and Faunus are capable of interbreeding, but since we haven't seen any half-breeds in the series, there's not much to go on in terms of what they're like.

For the sake of this roleplay, Half-Breeds can pretty much vary heavily, some looking entirely human, others looking just like a full-blooded Faunus, while others have more subtle animal characteristics.

Sessha

I edited my sheet for something a little different.

Zaer Darkwail

I think half-breeds in general have quite diminished appearance. I think Blake borderlines what half-breed would look like (I heard rumor one creators had said this Blake is very close to half-breed faun in appearance, to point other fauns could mistake her as one). But fauns can be very subtle in appearance (like the puma bookstore owner did not look feral till he attacked). So it indeed varies even full blooded fauns how they look.

But I think my fauns case as her entire feet are animalistic she has naturally faster running/spring speed than human perhaps (and other traits slightly above human average before aura gets to picture).

Wolfy

Are we working from a premade Character profile template, or making our own? :3