Legendary Planet Recruitment (Pathfinder 1st edition; 3PP friendly!) [FULL]

Started by indarkestknight, September 22, 2019, 05:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indarkestknight

EDIT (10/04/2020): Alright, so, given the recent surge of players looking for Pathfinder 1e games, I've decided to give this another shot. However, there is presently only 1 open slot.

If I receive any applicants, I will make my selection one week from today, October 11th. Applicants do not have to have a full sheet ready by the deadline, however, having a completed character sheet and/or 10 Minute Background will most likely work in your favor.[/EDIT]

Since Paizo has recently concluded releasing new 1e material, I've had the itch to run a game that would let players have the chance to use all the character concepts they may have wanted to try in 1st edition, but haven't had the chance to. So with that in mind...

Legendary Planet is a pulp sci-fi adventure path that thrusts more traditional high fantasy Pathfinder characters into worlds of planetary swashbuckling and romance.

The first chapter of the adventure path, To Worlds Unknown, begins with the characters having been abducted by aliens. As such, characters are not limited to being from the same campaign setting. A party could consist of a character from Eberron, another from Golarion, a third character from Exandria of Critical Role fame, a fourth character from Forgotten Realms, and a fifth from an entirely homebrewed setting. There are a few settings this is less appropriate for due to their planar nature (Ravenloft and Planescape leap to mind), but by and large, a wide swath of settings are available to player characters as their homeworlds.

As such, I also intend to be fairly permissive about the inclusion of 3rd party publisher materials.

Should all players reach a consensus and decide to all hail from the same homeworld, I could potentially run a prequel adventure, The Assimilation Strain, which begins at level 1. To Worlds Unknown, in contrast, would begin at level 2.

What Legendary Planet is and what Legendary Planet is not

Legendary Planet is not Starjammer or Star Wars or Star Trek. Opportunities to pilot starships are intentionally rare until the final chapter of the adventure path (think of it like finally getting that skyship towards the end of many Final Fantasy games). Legendary Planet is written with the sword-and-planet genre in mind, so it will have a science fiction pulp sensibility about it. For those familiar, the Barsoom series (also known by its protagonist, John Carter of Mars) is the prototypical sword-and-planet work. For those who have played Paizo's Reign of Winter adventure path, Legendary Planet bears some resemblance to its later, planet-spanning chapters.

Legendary Planet runs from level 2 (or 1) to level 20, covering mythic tiers 1 through 7.

Player's Guide
I've made the Legendary Planet Player's guide available here through Google Drive.

This will not be first come, first served. I am looking for a minimum of 4 players to a maximum of 6-ish players.

Buy In
For a significant chunk of the adventure path, it is assumed that the player characters' goal is to find their way back to their homeworlds – or, at the very least, to help the other player characters find their way back to their homeworlds.

Character Creation
Backstory 10 minute background. You can, if you wish, write up a more extensive background, but understand that this will not be accepted in lieu of the required 10 minute background. Additionally, please note your character's native homeworld/setting. Thank you.
System Pathfinder 1st Edition (3PP-friendly. If it's not on the approved list, point me at it, I'll give it a looksee.)
Sheet While my personal preference is for a sheet laid out like a monster statblock from the Bestiary, other sheet formats such as MythWeavers are acceptable so long as I can decipher them.
Alignment I'm not especially confident in my ability to DM for evil player characters. If you feel you have a strong concept, feel free to apply – if I like it enough, I may approve it.
Level 2nd
Hit Points Max at 1st level. When a player character levels up, both the character’s player and the DM roll the character’s new hit die. The character takes the higher result.
Ability Scores Focus & Foible. Choose one ability score as your Focus. Before racial modifiers, this ability score is 18. Choose one ability score as your Foible. Before racial modifiers, this ability score is 8.

To determine the remaining ability scores, roll 3d6+6 four times, dropping the lowest die roll. The DM will then roll 3d6+6 four times, dropping the lowest roll. You may choose one set of scores to assign to the remaining ability scores as you see fit.

(for example, if the PC rolls 9, 14, 15, 13 and the DM rolls 8, 9, 16, 15, the player would then have to choose one of the sets of four to use)

At 4th level, 8th level, 12th level, 16th level, and 20th level, you receive four ability boosts. For scores below 18, boosts increase an ability score by 2. For scores 18 and above, boosts increase an ability score by 1. An ability score cannot be boosted more than once at any given level (for example, a player could not boost Strength twice and Constitution twice at 4th level, but could boost Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Wisdom at 5th level, and the same ability scores a second time at 8th level.)
Traits You may select one trait of your choice and one trait from the Legendary Planet Player's Guide. If you wish to have more traits, the Additional Traits feat is available. Drawbacks (and, by extension, taking a drawback to gain a third trait) are subject to DM approval.
Starting wealth 1,000 gp
Automatic Bonus Progression is in effect, with the exception of armor and weapons, which function normally.
Hero points are in effect. Each player character begins with one. All spells and magic items pertaining to hero points are allowed.
Milestone leveling is in effect.
An important feat for consideration for any multiclass players.
• At BaB +6, a player character gains Vital Strike as a bonus feat. At BaB +11, Improved Vital Strike. At BaB +16, Greater Vital Strike.
Breath of life is also called cure deadly wounds and may be cast spontaneously by clerics and oracles that channel positive energy.
• In addition to granting Chaos, Charm, Good, Strength, & Travel, Cayden Cailean also grants access to the Liberation domain and the Freedom subdomain.

Gameplay
Initiative Party actions will be split into no more than two initiative groups based on their rolls vs enemy combatants. Enemy combatants will likewise be grouped into no more than two initiative groups. Ideally, that means combat will look like this: (Player Character Group A, Enemy Group Y, Player Character Group B, Enemy Group Z). From the time I signal it is a PC group's turn to act, you will have a minimum of 72 hours (3 days) to post your actions. If any players in the player group have not posted their actions by the time I post enemy actions, your characters will move adjacent to the nearest PC and spend their action to use aid another.
• If you do not have time to post a full narrative description of your character's actions but know what you want to do mechanically, please post the mechanical bare bones. I would rather have people do that than miss a round entirely.

Classes (If it's not on the approved list, point me at it, I'll give it a looksee.)
All Paizo classes are open season. Players may choose chained or unchained variants for classes that have unchained variants.

Pre-Approved 3PP
Where possible, I have linked to free resources.
Akashic Mysteries from Dreamscarred Press (includes Akashic Realms, Akashic Trinity, the Rajah, the Zodiac, and the following from City of 7 Seraphs: Knowledge Passion for Daevas, Shanti Philosophy for Gurus, and Path of the Scholar for Viziers.)
Beguiler1 (and Beguilers of the Inner Sea)
Divine Channeler from Rite Publishing
Eidolon Knight from Rogue Genius Games
Legendary Shifter from Legendary Games
Masquerade Reveler from Rite Publishing
Path of War from Dreamscarred Press
Psionics from Dreamscarred Press
Sisters of Rapture from Fantastic Gallery
Spheres of Might from Drop Dead Studios
Spheres of Power from Drop Dead Studios
Ultimate Kineticist from Legendary Games
Owen KC Stephen's Conversion of the 5E Warlock to Pathfinder

1 While beguiler guilds may exist if a player decides to play a beguiler, there will be stretches where such an organization will not be available to player characters. As such, I will be lifting the restriction on beguilers only being able to level up the class as part of a guild with a master of their order.

Races2
All Core and Featured Races as well as Androids, Aphorites, Changelings, Duskwalkers, Ganzi, Kasatha, Kitsune, Lashunta, Samsaran, Suli, Triaxian, and Vanara. Other races from Paizo may be allowed on a case by case basis, but please check with me first.

Pre-approved 3PP
Firbolg
Legendary Planet Player's Guide Races
• Races from Eberron
• Races from Akashic Mysteries
• Races from Dreamscarred Press' Psionics
Shirren
Skittermander
• Taninim from In the Company of Dragons Expanded by Rite Publishing
Vesk
Wyrmtouched from Legendary Games (doubles as Dragonborn)

2 While living constructs such as the warforged are available as choices for player characters, be advised that they may not be as suitable for this adventure as other races, and the adventure may require some modification to accommodate them. As such, if it comes down to deciding between including one of two characters, one of whom is a living construct and the other of whom is a more traditional race, if all other things are perfectly balanced as all things should be equal I will favor the non-construct PC. I would strongly advise players interested in such characters to consider the android or the auttaine races instead.

Misc
• Paizo released a small number of obscure archetypes in the Worldscape comic book that may be suitable for use in this adventure, based on the likeness of famous pulp heroes. The archetypes are as follows: Jungle Lord (Tarzan, the archetype), Sword Devil (Red Sonja, the archetype), and Warlord (John Carter of Mars, the archetype).
• A note regarding 1st party sources. When using material created by Paizo that is found on d20pfsrd, please make sure you trace it back to its original source. I once played in a game where a human antipaladin took a religion trait found on d20pfsrd, only to later discover it was intended for worshippers of a chaotic good halfling goddess. I would like to avoid a repeat of that. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
• If you would like to reskin something, it is better to ask permission than forgiveness.

Lockepick

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TFcommando

I love sword and planet stuff, as my avatar might indicate!  One character type I've wanted to play around with is a mystic sniper... a Spellslinger/Magus Arcane Archer using a rifle.  What level of firearms is in play?  Another could be a sword and pistol swashbuckler, or a "plain" Magus.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Chulanowa

Phaia

GreenFlame

Yeey a Pf game. I must say I'm a huge fan of Spheres, and as of late. Being from different settings opens up Eberron (PF conversion I personally really like), but I'm worried about more commonplace guns may upset the balance of the game.

indarkestknight

Quote from: TFcommando on September 22, 2019, 12:59:04 PM
I love sword and planet stuff, as my avatar might indicate!  One character type I've wanted to play around with is a mystic sniper... a Spellslinger/Magus Arcane Archer using a rifle.  What level of firearms is in play?  Another could be a sword and pistol swashbuckler, or a "plain" Magus.

When they use firearms, as far as I can tell, they tend toward early firearms, along with a smattering of unique alien weaponry and a few weapons that may be familiar from the Technology Guide. That said, I'm willing to work with you to make sure you'll have access to what you need to execute your character concept.

Quote from: GreenFlame on September 22, 2019, 03:22:00 PM
Yeey a Pf game. I must say I'm a huge fan of Spheres, and as of late. Being from different settings opens up Eberron (PF conversion I personally really like), but I'm worried about more commonplace guns may upset the balance of the game.

Spheres is definitely one of the 3PP subsystems that will be approved for play. I'll be looking over the Eberron conversion. (EDIT: Are there any specific elements you'd especially like me to review for approval?)

As mentioned above, the default adventure doesn't feature a lot of advanced firearms, if that's your main concern.

With at least 5 interested parties, I'll be working over the next few days to write up a recruitment post that contains relevant houserules, pre-approved 3PP sources, and character creation rules. Stay tuned, and thank you for the interest!

GreenFlame

My concern is that firearms can prove a lot more powerful than regular bow and crossbows.

indarkestknight

Quote from: GreenFlame on September 22, 2019, 03:40:52 PM
My concern is that firearms can prove a lot more powerful than regular bow and crossbows.

Firearms are a potent option, but come with a number of downsides in comparison to crossbows and bows (reload time, misfires, need to be in the first range increment to target touch AC, don't add a modifier to damage unless you're a gunslinger compared to bows). Additionally, if I'm honest, this adventure path does feature mythic protagonists, so I wasn't expecting the power curve to be tame.

That said, I will be keeping an eye on whether or not firearms rules are enhancing the experience for players or having a deleterious effect on their experiences, and may tweak them if I find that to become necessary.

Was there anything specific in the Eberron PF conversion you wanted me to look more closely at?

GreenFlame

That's right, I was able to go down reading as a swift action but it still won't allow for many more than 1 attack around. there may be a fun build with PoW where you use move action to reload, swift for boots and standard for a manoeuver. A pure SoP build would have to be like a gunfighter so they can have quick clear and then add a musket master on top of that. Swift to loud, move to aim and standard to attack. Either way, I got a lot more character ideas then just guns so maybe something somes to mind as we move forward.

Green Goo Theory

Interested.  But it's been a minute (2014ish) since I've played any Pathfinder and maybe half as long since I've done any regular online play.  I'd be a little rusty. 
Coming soon...

indarkestknight

Quote from: GreenFlame on September 22, 2019, 04:52:59 PM
That's right, I was able to go down reading as a swift action but it still won't allow for many more than 1 attack around. there may be a fun build with PoW where you use move action to reload, swift for boots and standard for a manoeuver. A pure SoP build would have to be like a gunfighter so they can have quick clear and then add a musket master on top of that. Swift to loud, move to aim and standard to attack. Either way, I got a lot more character ideas then just guns so maybe something somes to mind as we move forward.

Early firearms certainly have that issue. Even then, there's the pepperbox (which, you'll note, has a higher misfire rate than a flintlock pistol) – but unless you take rapid shot, you won't be making multiple attacks until level 6 anyway. (Sidebar, archers also get Manyshot, which is basically a free extra attack on a full attack, gunners do not. Archery is considered one of the strongest Pathfinder options for a reason.)

Advanced firearms are a lot more forgiving on action economy.

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on September 22, 2019, 05:02:25 PM
Interested.  But it's been a minute (2014ish) since I've played any Pathfinder and maybe half as long since I've done any regular online play.  I'd be a little rusty. 

Not a problem. You're more than welcome regardless.

TFcommando

Yeah, while the sword and gun look is cool and iconic to sword and planet action, the only way it can work is with advanced firearms so you've got a revolver in one hand and sword in the other.  It's impossible to reload with your other hand full.  But even with Guns Everywhere in effect, a revolver costs 400 GP, generally beyond any starting GP.  Though at level 2, you could have one.  Might just be better to go Swashbuckler and fire the pistol in your off-hand when needed.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

indarkestknight

Quote from: TFcommando on September 22, 2019, 05:37:31 PM
Yeah, while the sword and gun look is cool and iconic to sword and planet action, the only way it can work is with advanced firearms so you've got a revolver in one hand and sword in the other.  It's impossible to reload with your other hand full.  But even with Guns Everywhere in effect, a revolver costs 400 GP, generally beyond any starting GP.  Though at level 2, you could have one.  Might just be better to go Swashbuckler and fire the pistol in your off-hand when needed.

For a spellslinger or magus it's a little easier once you hit level 5 and can pick up spell cartriges, which lets you load your gun with force bullets (no hands necessary, swift action) but in that case you have no free hand to cast spells... unless you pick a race with three or more limbs, or pick up a tiefling or ganzi and take a few tail feats.

Phaia

My question is this. If we start captured will we have class needed gear? I was looking at the cartomancer and a Harrow Deck is required for her to work. It is her familiar/spell book and basically without it she would have no access to spells!
that are some other classes that are like that as well.
Spell books, familiars, hunter's pet, etc.

GreenFlame

Quote from: TFcommando on September 22, 2019, 05:37:31 PM
If you want to use SoM there is Impossible Reload so you can reload even with a sword in hand and there many feats that will grant you battered firearm.
Quote from: indarkestknight on September 22, 2019, 06:23:09 PM
For a spellslinger or magus it's a little easier once you hit level 5 and can pick up spell cartriges, which lets you load your gun with force bullets (no hands necessary, swift action) but in that case you have no free hand to cast spells... unless you pick a race with three or more limbs, or pick up a tiefling or ganzi and take a few tail feats.
You can get it as soon as level 1, here a few ideas to get it

1) A human gunslinger. What you need is Adopted trait, and use it to get Arcane Dabbler (d20pfsrd offers a bit more powerful version that don't require being adopted). From that, your level and feat and bonus human feat can be used to gain both Arcane Strike and Spell Cartridges (this is 100% first party)

2) A human magus, with DM permission you can exchange your proficiencies with Martial Traditions, or you can pick up Runic Knight archetype that gives it as part of the archetype. You sill need to use two feats to get to Spell Cartridges.

Either way, Spell Cartridges are nice because just using a swift action you can get for your loaded for the whole round. This allows you to use Rapid Shot, Barrage Sphere (inclouding cone of death), Snap Shot, Two weapons fighting and all kind's of ranged goodness.

Like legit you can get two

Either way, about this AP, are we going to need ranged attacks like in SratFinder or are melee builds just as useful as ranged?

Also, this being Elliquiy as all, what role will nsfw play in this game?

Chulanowa

I'm feeling like breaking out a Ysoki (ratfolk) Psychic / Psion that has been rolling around in my head for a while. Maybe he's not the sexiest character in the galaxy, but hey how often do I get the opportunity to play a literal lab rat with BRAIN POWERS.

'course if beign sexy is intended to be a big part of this, I guess I can come up with something.

Phaia

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 23, 2019, 03:15:21 AM
I'm feeling like breaking out a Ysoki (ratfolk) Psychic / Psion that has been rolling around in my head for a while. Maybe he's not the sexiest character in the galaxy, but hey how often do I get the opportunity to play a literal lab rat with BRAIN POWERS.

'course if beign sexy is intended to be a big part of this, I guess I can come up with something.

Will he have a sidekick/familiar called 'Pinky' and call himself  'The Brain'?  :o ;D ;D

Ryu Wojin

A concept for the gm to consider. What kinda alignment are you hoping for? Are evil characters intune with what you had planned? One idea I have was perhaps someone influenced by elder gods. Ustulav in Glorian's setting would be a prime idea for that. And plenty of reasons for aliens to abduct a unique specimen. Character build would be the aberrant aegis, and I'd give her tentacles and other features that make her distinctly abberant-esque.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Phaia on September 22, 2019, 09:42:15 PM
My question is this. If we start captured will we have class needed gear? I was looking at the cartomancer and a Harrow Deck is required for her to work. It is her familiar/spell book and basically without it she would have no access to spells!
that are some other classes that are like that as well.
Spell books, familiars, hunter's pet, etc.

Your characters’ personal effects should become available to them shortly after the beginning of the adventure.

Quote from: GreenFlame on September 23, 2019, 02:20:50 AM
If you want to use SoM there is Impossible Reload so you can reload even with a sword in hand and there many feats that will grant you battered firearm.You can get it as soon as level 1, here a few ideas to get it

1) A human gunslinger. What you need is Adopted trait, and use it to get Arcane Dabbler (d20pfsrd offers a bit more powerful version that don't require being adopted). From that, your level and feat and bonus human feat can be used to gain both Arcane Strike and Spell Cartridges (this is 100% first party)

2) A human magus, with DM permission you can exchange your proficiencies with Martial Traditions, or you can pick up Runic Knight archetype that gives it as part of the archetype. You sill need to use two feats to get to Spell Cartridges.

Either way, Spell Cartridges are nice because just using a swift action you can get for your loaded for the whole round. This allows you to use Rapid Shot, Barrage Sphere (inclouding cone of death), Snap Shot, Two weapons fighting and all kind's of ranged goodness.

Like legit you can get two

Spell Cartridges has no minimum damage. As such, Spell Cartridges is only useful if you have a caster level of 5 or higher.

Quote from: GreenFlame on September 23, 2019, 02:20:50 AMEither way, about this AP, are we going to need ranged attacks like in SratFinder or are melee builds just as useful as ranged?

I’d say the balance is about what I’d expect for a standard Pathfinder adventure. But I have very rarely seen a Pathfinder adventure where a melee-focused character wouldn’t want a ranged weapon as backup.

Quote from: GreenFlame on September 23, 2019, 02:20:50 AMAlso, this being Elliquiy as all, what role will nsfw play in this game?

As GM I will not be participating in any explicit scenes. NPCs may or may not be romanced as appropriate but anything that isn’t PG-13 will go to Fade To Black.

Player characters are free to participate in explicit scenes with each other.

Quote from: Ryu Wojin on September 23, 2019, 10:39:39 AM
A concept for the gm to consider. What kinda alignment are you hoping for? Are evil characters intune with what you had planned? One idea I have was perhaps someone influenced by elder gods. Ustulav in Glorian's setting would be a prime idea for that. And plenty of reasons for aliens to abduct a unique specimen. Character build would be the aberrant aegis, and I'd give her tentacles and other features that make her distinctly abberant-esque.

While the adventure allows for some common cause between characters of any alignments, and while I am open to Lovecraft Mythos-influenced characters, I am presently less than confident in my own ability to manage evil player characters.

TFcommando

Will it have the John Carter-style clothing and armor style of "little to nothing?"  Even if there's no sex as part of the main game, will there be ample nudity? :)
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Muse

Quote from: indarkestknight on September 23, 2019, 10:56:23 AM
While the adventure allows for some common cause between characters of any alignments, and while I am open to Lovecraft Mythos-influenced characters, I am presently less than confident in my own ability to manage evil player characters.

In that case, i'd be very excited to express interest.  :) 

Perhaps...  A drow cleric of Eiistraee from Faerun? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ryu Wojin

Quote from: indarkestknight on September 23, 2019, 10:56:23 AM

I think actually a redemption arc from someone who's experinced so much insanity and effectively lost their humanity could be interesting, if you're willing to do that.

might've had an evil past, but no longer. trying to recover from it but still being seen as a 'monster'

Muse

"A soul to heal?  I'll help you, sweet friend. 

"Come and dance with me under the stars.  Take off these shapeless robes.  Don't be shy.  You might not have been born in this body, but i'm not afraid of it.  You are a child of gods.  You are beautiful in Eilsitraee's eyes.   

"And in mine."
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

indarkestknight

New recruitment post with all the info is 95% done, I just need to, uh. Finish up the homebrew race I'm throwing in as an option, pretty much. *cough*

Quote from: TFcommando on September 24, 2019, 04:14:32 AM
Will it have the John Carter-style clothing and armor style of "little to nothing?"  Even if there's no sex as part of the main game, will there be ample nudity? :)

There aren't a ton of humans, as far as I can tell, and not a lot of aliens that are as human-looking as, say, lashunta, elves, and red martians. That said, I don't see why I couldn't bend things in favor of that aesthetic where humans do arise (or can be substituted in), if everyone is agreeable.

Additionally, in the recruitment post I put together, I did include the following note...

Quote• Paizo released a small number of obscure archetypes in the Worldscape comic book that may be suitable for use in this adventure, based on the likes famous pulp heroes. The archetypes are as follows: Jungle Lord (Tarzan, the archetype), Sword Devil (Red Sonja, the archetype), and Warlord (John Carter of Mars, the archetype).

Quote from: Ryu Wojin on September 24, 2019, 09:35:28 AM
I think actually a redemption arc from someone who's experinced so much insanity and effectively lost their humanity could be interesting, if you're willing to do that.

might've had an evil past, but no longer. trying to recover from it but still being seen as a 'monster'

That could be an interesting angle to take, I admit...

Quote from: Muse on September 24, 2019, 08:57:07 AM
  Perhaps...  A drow cleric of Eiistraee from Faerun? 

Would be very much welcome (and also very appropriate for the sword and planet aesthetic).