What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Arkham City is one of those games that I'd rather play on consoles. I mean, I'm a proud member of the Master Race of Gaming and all, but in those games, thumbsticks are actually better, if you ask me.

Wyrd

SHHhhshsHHH!! You'll abger the elitists, you fool!
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

I am the elitists!

Also.

Ace Combat is a great game. But there should be a warning label on the box. This game loves the sort of missions gamers hate. Probably a quarter of the missions have you protecting something. It's not so bad most of the time - if you ignore constantly getting yelled at by the game - but sometimes a single mistake means you have to start from the last checkpoint. A lot of the times I manage, it's by the slightest margin. It only occasionally gets frustrating, but it does happen.

One thing I sort of wish they'd managed to replicate from ... the only other Ace Combat game I ever played, which I believed was ... Ace Combat 4 ( It was released as Distant Thunder here, and I think Shattered Skies elsewhere ). That is a sort of sense that the enemy pilots are also people, and ... well, here, the most difficult part about shooting down an enemy is getting behind them. You're never in any real danger - not from enemy fighters, anyway.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 19, 2011, 12:43:43 PM
Arkham City is one of those games that I'd rather play on consoles. I mean, I'm a proud member of the Master Race of Gaming and all, but in those games, thumbsticks are actually better, if you ask me.
Master Race, huh? Should I hand you a banjo and the script to Deliverance now or later? :D

On topic: Console's the only way to go on Arkham City. So much of it is gut-punch visceral and it has excellent rumble action scripting. PC tanks on tactile feedback. How can you be the Goddamned Batman if you don't feel it? Feel it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I just ordered a new video card, specifically for the purpose of playing Battlefield 3. On my computer. All hail to the Master Race.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on October 20, 2011, 02:11:45 PM
I just ordered a new video card, specifically for the purpose of playing Battlefield 3. On my computer. All hail to the Master Race.
Yet, I could buy the same game and not have to fork over money on a new video card as well. :/
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on October 20, 2011, 04:31:33 PM
Yet, I could buy the same game and not have to fork over money on a new video card as well. :/

You could buy the same game and play it with inferior graphics. And that's not just the fanboy in me speaking, just look it up. Of course, graphics don't really matter, not that much. What matters more is that consoles are limited to 24 players, apparently for technical reasons. PC player limit? 64. That's a hell of a difference, and it's the sort of thing that turns a dull deathmatch into a warzone.

But I am biased. Unabashedly so. I think it's justified.

Geeklet

My favorite part of Arkham City? The end credits. Why?

(Note: the video itself contains no spoilers, but I'd try to avoid the comments if you decide to look at the actual page)

Batman: Arkham City - Joker singing "Only You" (End Credits)

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on October 20, 2011, 04:31:33 PM
Unfortunately, Inki, it'll look like crap in comparison on a console.

I have the hardware necessary to run BF3, though I have no interest in doing so. I can run the game at max settings and 60 frames a second in 1080p on a 46-inch LED HDTV.

It doesn't get much better, imo.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on October 20, 2011, 09:48:36 PM
Unfortunately, Inki, it'll look like crap in comparison on a console.

I have the hardware necessary to run BF3, though I have no interest in doing so. I can run the game at max settings and 60 frames a second in 1080p on a 46-inch LED HDTV.

It doesn't get much better, imo.
I find the graphics argument to be a weak one these days. Sure, if you pressed me I would say yes PCs can run better graphics, but honestly it's not that much of a difference to justify a graphics card that could run you as much as the game itself brand new. With the graphical-fidelity-to-cost ratio reaching its inevitable plateau slightly smoother shadow and movement textures hardly justifiable.

Honestly, the 24 to 64 deathmatch players is the most-valid argument I've actually heard lately. :\
That's to say if the PC wins it won't be on graphics these days.

Sabby

Graphics are SOO important. I can't enjoy a game if it doesn't have HDR Lighting and at least 4x Anti Aliasing. I mean, how am I supposed to play without Textures on High and 60fps?

Unrelated, I am playing Alien vs Predator 2. From 2001. Which looks like ass. And I'm having fun. You sarcasm detector wasn't picking up false negatives :P

Sabby

o.o Wow... that was awesome. Trying to ace all the Challenge maps in Arkham City. Got surrounded by, like, a dozen dudes. Grab one guys knife arm, break it, boot his chin, another three come in, jumping cyclone kick sends all three cartwheeling away, then slam a Cryo Grenade at my feet. Everyone freezes solid.

Whack, bam, pow, slam, just smack every ice figure until everyone is laying on the ground, flip up into the air, and toss a handful of Batarangs down, knocking everyone of them out.

Sabby

Inkidu

I suddenly feel very out of practice. I used to be absurdly good at Arkham Asylum.
My problem with Arkham City is he's got more of those special moves now and I'm used to hiting just AX or BY. BA and YX just don't mesh. The quick-use gadgets aren't so bad.

Sabby

Remember that when you get to your 12x Combo bullet time, it will beef up your next gadget, which will end your slow down, but it's definitely worth it. Cryo Blast only hits one guy, but in Bat Time, it freezes whole crowds, for ages. I haven't tried the Gel yet, but from that video, it seems like a damned A-Bomb.

Keefie

Right now, i've got Timesplitters Future Perfect in my PS3.
I got to talking about it not long ago, felt nostalgic and thought. Hey, i still have it, it'll work on my PS3, why not?
So i'm totally gonna bash that right now, school my bf in what good games really are. xD
I have to admit, i loved it, it was hilarious, with a decently worked story and lots of fun parts. So much playability and even a map maker. It had everything, one of the best of it's times. I think so anyway. It's good enough to tear me away from Gears Of War 3, so that says something for it.
Anyone else a fan of this classic?

Brandon

Cant say I have, the only timesplitters Ive played was the original one which was...not very good IMO. I heard the second one was better but never got my hands on it and I wasnt aware they made timesplitter games beyond that

Anyway, like everyone else Im playing Arkam city right now and its pretty awesome. Im not quite ready to call it better then the last one but its sure getting there fast.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Wow... I just blew 15 bucks I'm not quite sure I could safely spare on the Catwoman content for Arkham City, and it was over in half a damned hour -__-

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on October 23, 2011, 08:52:24 AM
Wow... I just blew 15 bucks I'm not quite sure I could safely spare on the Catwoman content for Arkham City, and it was over in half a damned hour -__-
I got it for free for buying the game new. Still, I think the main draw is using her in the challenges... story not so much.

Wolfy

Arkham City = Awesome...I'm going to be playing this game for a while to finish all the riddler challenges...plus there's always Calender man...

Sabby

Inkidu

meikle

Quote from: Hemingway on October 19, 2011, 12:43:43 PM

This is why I bought an xbox 360 controller to use with my PC. :)
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on October 23, 2011, 06:13:31 PM
Boo! Hiss! That's no fun.

And spending an entire year waiting for 10 Gamerscore is?

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on October 23, 2011, 06:55:14 PM
And spending an entire year waiting for 10 Gamerscore is?
It just spoils the surprise is all. ^___^

I'm really just looking for any excuse to pan out time until Skyrim. Nineteen days and counting.