WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idej

I've been debating on using two separate Detachments with my Custodes.  The Vertus Praetors are really amazing, but was thinking on slapping a Spearhead Detachment to add some Militarum tanks.

Regardless, pure Custodes are not bad at all and really want to get them.

On a related note I have a pack of Witch Aelves and Dark Eldar Wyches and looking at how I can kit bash them to make my Hekatrix Bloodbrides look sorta unique.  First time doing this, does anyone have any tips on kitbashing?

wander

In general I recommend snipping bits using the Citadel sprue clippers, they're pretty damn good for that. The clippers are fairly sharp and I generally use the side of one of the clippers to shave off molding lines as I see them.

You'll probably be needing some green stuff to fill in/cover up obvious joins, to mold up little extra cloth parts of what your conversion is wearing. The new Witch Aelves are a newer model, so you may find that they're larger in scale than the older Wyches. Try and play with converting a single one first, as a test model and try different techniques solely on that one. When you're more confident or you've figured out how you're going to do the conversion, only then move on to the rest.

Also; whilst the conversions may look a little rough unpainted, a uniform paint job and thinning the paints a little less than normal can help partially in covering up any messy joins over where you've tweaked your models.

greenknight

Quote from: Idej on April 03, 2018, 10:09:56 AM
On a related note I have a pack of Witch Aelves and Dark Eldar Wyches and looking at how I can kit bash them to make my Hekatrix Bloodbrides look sorta unique.  First time doing this, does anyone have any tips on kitbashing?
Except that I use GF9 tools and an X-ACTO knife instead of clippers for mold lines, pretty much everything wander said.

If you want to start working with green stuff, remember to keep everything (tools, fingers, work surface) wet to keep the green stuff from sticking. I use a smooth, 1 foot, ceramic flooring tile I picked up at Home Depot as a workspace. It's smooth enough that rolling out green stuff doesn't leave any lines, it stands up to the hobby knife when cutting the green stuff, and water generally stays where I want it. I'll even keep the mixed green stuff in a spare water dish until I'm ready for the next greebly I want to build up on the model.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wander

Geedubs happens to sell 'liquid green stuff'... Anyone have any experience with it?

Over here in my area of Britland we're oldschool Milliputt users.

TheLaughingOne

I am bored... and thinking in a horrible way.

Watching Captain America i realized something with the Hydras energy weapons that completely eliminate anybody they hit, its a rather ineffective way of fighting a long protracted war, which means in 40k, the lasgun makes a great deal of sense for the guards War of attrition style in fluff. Bolters, volkite, and other guns that are heavy and instant kill are great for short quick skirmishes and battles, but long term? Lasguns make more sense.

they cause horrible damage (even non-killing wounds are described as having large smoking holes that are cauterized, which isnt as good as one would think for large wounds, cooked dead flesh will rot and fester faster then that from just plain ballistic trauma), and dont always kill everything they hit out right. while on table top you might hit but not cause wounds as regularly as a bolter or such, there is likely still damage because you hit, it just wasnt enough to put them out of action..

And after battle those wounded are going to take up resources, something like for each injured man it takes 2 more to help care for him? food, medical supplies, all of that, slows army down faster then if you just wounded him, not to mention infected wounds and diseases begining to spread further damaging combat strength of other. Granted that some species like orks and what not thats not a major thing as they arent big on caring for the wounded (aside from throwing him to the Doc, which is oft times more like putting around through his skull, except less merciful), but in the long run it makes attrition battles much more.. "effective" then just blowing them up one at a time...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheGlyphstone

The fluff tends to describe lasguns extremely inconsistently - in some books they blow chunks out of concrete, other times they're just lasers that hit as hard as a modern-day rifle. But I think your last point is the most relevant. Does anyone the Guard fight care about their injured except the Tau?

Orks? Might not even notice giant craters in their flesh, and wouldn't care if they did.
Tyranids? Eat the wounded anyways.
Chaos? Hahahahahaha.
Eldar? Definitely care, but getting into a protracted ground war with Eldar is essentially impossible.
Dark Eldar? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAwheeeze.
Necrons? 0010101010010101010.
Tau? They care. They're also the numerically smallest race, so they lose battles of attrition by default.

The Guard win battles of attrition by having reserves for the reserves of their reserves; it's not so important that a lasgun inflicts a crippling wound when the return fire is mulching humans like popcorn as well. The only race that beats them in the 'swamp them in numbers' race is the Nids.

TheLaughingOne

Wweellll... Thats an issue with everything in 40k fluff, to many writers, not enough solid bedrock. so we have books where the standard guard lasgun can take down a space marine in 2-3 shots, and others where entire battalions only manage to melt the wax holding his purity seals on...

As for races...

Orks: Im sure they would notice, they still feel pain, they just ignore it unless it starts hindering them, at which point they probably just put giant red hot bar against the wound to seal, or if they are REALLY brave, go t the Docs to get "fixed up" Mean time, bullying grots and gretchen about to do stuff keeping them from doing more important work.

Tyranid: Yeah, but in that time the gribblies that ate the wounded have to go back to melting pools and be digested themselves as well, thus taking out possibly multipules for a time, not as effective as others, but still puts a good few out of action while they regrow more.

Chaos: Against cultists and such its effective, as even dedicated to chaos they likely still want to keep their fellows alive... ... Even if just to use them as a sacrifice/meat shield when time comes.. Daemons i dont think it would have much effect... Marines? Depends on alignment, even as traitors they still have some loyalty to each other (at least as a fighting force) though could totally see some of the more "hardcore" simply executing the wounded and harvesting geneseed if damage is to much. the biggest flaw is plague marines..

<Upon catching the guardsman who shot him several times> Hey... You know those holes you put in me..? They are festering REALLY nice, so i wanted to say thanks and share the blessing. *Infectious death breath*

Eldar: I can see it being especially effective here, they have few numbers, and they are very protective of them, if someone is injured and possibly dying, they have to either end it fast and grab the soulstones, or try and let them pull through, otherwise they are just going to get ate up by Slaanesh when they die. So while a standing war is unlikely, even in their hit and runs they are going to take fire and damage that wears them down possibly making the war to costly for them.

Dark Eldar: This is where it gets twisted, because sure, they dont really care if the others die...... BBUUTT now that guy you hate is wounded and defenseless and unable to really fight back and you've got that new crystal knife you wanted to try, or hey! maybe give him to the Haemonculi to win some favor and keep him distracted next time you need fixing, less likely to "take to long" fixing you when they have a project already...

Necron: Totally ineffective strategy with their reanimation protocols and all.

Tau: They care, not just for their own but all of their client species as well. so its very effective against them, especially smaller force size where every person counts, with their slower supply lines, and lacking proper warp travel.

And you forgot one...

Other humans, i kinda feel that the guard were more established to help contain human rebellion on planets and such, rogue guard elements, and things like that. yeah, they have PDF, but they are more like bandaids slapped on til you can get to the doctor.

And Orks can give them a run on Mob tactics, im bored, and contemplating an ork force of nothing but Burna boys..

Vanguard with warboss in mega armor with kombi scorcher, and 4 squads of burna's with 15 in each squad is 979 points. they have crap for range... buttt once anything gets with in 8 inches thats either 15, 30, or 45 auto hit flamer attacks, bypassing their low BS, anything that charges them takes 15d3 overwatch autohits, and then is stuck fighting a bunch of burly orks with s4, -2ap, 1d power weapons. That makes for signs of a VERY bad day... And then if you like you can still lob in a couple trukks after trimming of 3 from the carry squads to ferry them around (and as they are open topped, orks can still shoot while inside the vehicle, and as they are auto hit, no penalties...)

played it in a small scale where my friend basicly unloaded all his troops from chimera and had them "run down" the orks to tie them up in melee, actually went through the chimera pretty quick, but, of ALL things to happen, each one exploded when they died, and while it only removed a few models from mortal wounds, it was still GLORIOUS. we had a bit to drink, and the thought was so funny i just called the game there declaring that with that much burny stuff around you could see the scorch mark from space. Had nothing to do with the fact we were laughing so hard we couldnt get off the floor...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

wander

Ah, the humble lasgun. It's threat doesn't come from the strength of shot it doles out, though the sheer numbers a good Militarum Commander will 'bucket of dice' at you. Also, have you seen the Imperial Guard Primer booklet? I'm sure also there was a Warhammer Community page on dealing with Militarum casualties going from memory...

*after a quick google search...*

Also, that plan of a list with a Megaboss and 60 Burna Boys seems a lil... 'That Guy'ish. Though you'll find most armies will just keep you at range and not let you get close enough to do that, unless they're a decent melee army.

I'd risk it for a biscuit with my Custards, just because they're T5-6, 3-4 wounds, 4 attacks + bonus s5 -2ap misericordia attack, 2+/4++ save and so when up close can be pretty nasty...

And those Boyz only have 6+ save...

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: wander on April 04, 2018, 06:19:12 AM

Also, that plan of a list with a Megaboss and 60 Burna Boys seems a lil... 'That Guy'ish. Though you'll find most armies will just keep you at range and not let you get close enough to do that, unless they're a decent melee army.

I'd risk it for a biscuit with my Custards, just because they're T5-6, 3-4 wounds, 4 attacks + bonus s5 -2ap misericordia attack, 2+/4++ save and so when up close can be pretty nasty...

And those Boyz only have 6+ save...

Yeah, it was more of "hey, we are bored, and just a little drunk. Lets make up bullshit lists and have fun!" Not something i'd do for serious play or such. We have a small group, but enjoy modifying our lists around for weird ideas and such, last game we played ended up shaping into a weird narrative,

putting down terrain i grabbed his unused baneblade and set it on the center of the field, then we proceeded to build around it. Came up with the main capture point for both sides was the bane blade, part of his army but was taken out early in action, some hit took out the crew. Objective was total elimination, surrender, or capture the bane blade and hold for 3 turns (while side wise it being held was either his IG techs repairing the systems for use again, or my blood angels planting melta charges to annihilate it)

We ended up working out a story from it that was part from our 40k only war game, our regiment found an abandoned baneblade, got hit by nurglings and plague bearers and everything was slain and the tank was rest to left. Regiment retook it and fixed it up, but at that battle my dreadnought (librarian dred) sensed the lingering taint and thought it was chaos manned, so it was taken out by a quick strike of some sort. About the same time the squads captain fell to black rage, and with his regiment close behind saw the hostile actions and started counter attacking as all they saw were unfamilear space marines attacking imperial assets, nor had either side been alerted to the presense of the other (Standard imperial cockup), neither side able to reach their command due to jamming from enemies.

He won due to bad placement from me (wasnt paying attention, and let him go first, only for him to hammer my knight with 2 leman annihilators, then wipe out my redemptor dread. Playing blood angel successor i had a ton of death company jumpers flying around, including a squad of all hammer guys, and for troops a bunch with hand flamers and chain swords. The battle almost turned in my favor when i took out one of his tanks and it exploded killing all the troops inside, and damaging a large number of his troops as well (not to mention a good portion of my squad) but that was because we misunderstood the exploding rule. But in the end his better placement and heavy use of flyers saw me widdled down to my reivers, who, back in narrative, managed to make contact with command and made surrender to the guard as they got contact as well.

we go a little less grimdark in our stuff, and while there was resentful feelings to the guard on space marines part, they accepted that the good portion of the problem was their own lack of communication, and the captain falling to the black rage before the battle. they made amends by providing aid to wounded troops, helped repair the baneblade and purify it of taint, and even passed some awards (i gave him a bunch of purity seals and icons) for their dedication to the God Emperor and their might in battle, and some thanks in helping stop their battle lost marines as the group had evidently lost control (most of them at least).

heh, he decorated Key troops and vehicles with the pray strips and icons and all, and while there are still hurt feelings between the two, our next battle is a three way, both of us fielding 1500 point armies (his IG and my BAs working together) to fight another friends army, which he is building with 3000 points, and includes a hierophant biotitan.
My Ons and Offs!

Rad

Hello, all!

Just thought I'd chime in to say that I was very happy to see there's a Warhammer community on this website.

And if I get approved, I do hope there are Warhammer RPs here, as I'd be very keen on one of those :)

HairyHeretic

There are, mostly 40k rather than WFRP ones. They crop up periodically.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

wander

I like to play in both.

Having all teh 40k system rpgs and also I got the Warhammer Fantasy rpg too.

I'm mainly a player though, especially for the latter.

Rad

Ah, nice. I have played Dark Heresy, and I'd love to get back to that. As well as Fantasy.

I've played Fantasy Battles the longest, and am trying to get into Age of Sigmar now (I'm trying, I really am). But I may well start my first 40K Army soon.

wander

I've been pondering if it was worth making a seperate Age of Sigmar thread, though I didn't think it'd make much traction. I do the odd games, though honestly I've only been playing Skirmish with it so far.

Got a fairly awesome Beastman warband in Skirmish, though looking (as mentioned upthread) at Path to Glory. Some awesome armies out there, though I keep veering towards the fluff of the Flesh Eater Courts as them being loopy cannibal ghouls who see themselves as holy white knights of the realm...

... Though I also like the idea of playing a Nurgle warband and having a Rotbringer Sorcerer just spam-summon new Plaguebearers and Plague Drone squads as and when.  ;D

Idej

I've been keen on Rogue Trader and want to find somebody to let me play as the Dark Eldar character I want to play as.

Rad

Quote from: wander on April 04, 2018, 06:54:11 PM
I've been pondering if it was worth making a seperate Age of Sigmar thread, though I didn't think it'd make much traction. I do the odd games, though honestly I've only been playing Skirmish with it so far.

I'd say it's worth giving it a shot, but if I don't get approved, I'll be sorry to miss it. :)

Currently, I'm looking to finish my Dark Elf Darkling Covens army finished. Transfer them from Fantasy Battles to AoS, essentially. I am proper excited for the Daughters of Khaine, though, so I'll add those to my army as soon as I can.

Only question is, before or after I start my first 40K army?

I want too many of them :P

Quote from: Idej on April 05, 2018, 12:12:36 AM
I've been keen on Rogue Trader and want to find somebody to let me play as the Dark Eldar character I want to play as.

Someone else might be better suited to answer this, but if I understand the shtick of this website correctly, this should be a good place to play a Dark Eldar, no?

wander

I'm not really one to suggest hobby project timing, I was very much building up a Death Guard force until 2018 brought in the Custodes and I've been going on to them full-time. I do plan eventually to go back to the Death Guard, though the golden boys have been very satisfying to build up.

Honestly though, keep going with the Darkling Coven, ally in some Daughters of Khaine (or vice versa) and you'll know when something neat comes in to go for it for a 40k force. It's a similar though slightly different game to AoS. Toughness and Armour Saves are more important, as is Weapon Strength and AP. Models tend to have less wounds all around though a higher save in 40k across the board. Your attacks may also be great against one thing though not so hot against another model in wounding them.

As for playing a Drukhari here, it's not the content of the type of thing it is that is the issue. It's a mass of things, such as system gaming not being as popular here outside of d20 games as you'd be led to believe coming in, the 40k system atop of that only having a small circle of GMs you could probably count on one hand and those who would not always in the mood to run a game... Also on Idej's character, they're kinda... particular about their Drukhari and I think a few people question those choices.

If you wanted to write a freeform fic of a Drukhari doing all kinds of dom sadism to someone, yeah you'd probably have more luck with that.

Rad

Fair enough, I see what you're saying.

I do hope I find some 40K RPs here, I've been in the mood for it lately, and haven't really found a group to run it with.

And anyway, my comment about which armies to buy and paint was less about what order to do things in... and more that, bloody hell, there's just so many I'd love to paint.

wander

There's a fair choice alright.  :-)

Why not list which ones are your faves and why you'd like to paint/collect them? I think we could probably explain a bit more on the crunch of the armies to help you out some.  :-) A fair bit would be aesthetic value mind; the reason I don't collect SMs (outside of the DG) or something like Necrons is the sheer boredom I'd have doing them up. Easy painting though on the other hand.

The new Dark Eldar touting has me so tempted, though they have tissue paper armour and vanilla light toughness, my playstyle is more comfortable with more heavily armoured/tough shock trooping.
I mean, I could do Haemonculus Coven and go heavy on the Talos and Cronos... Though, eh. I like everyone else dig the other models, like the Wyches, Incubi, Kabalites, Wracks and Mandrakes.

greenknight

When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Rad

Quote from: wander on April 05, 2018, 05:31:18 PM
There's a fair choice alright.  :-)

Why not list which ones are your faves and why you'd like to paint/collect them? I think we could probably explain a bit more on the crunch of the armies to help you out some.  :-) A fair bit would be aesthetic value mind; the reason I don't collect SMs (outside of the DG) or something like Necrons is the sheer boredom I'd have doing them up. Easy painting though on the other hand.

I feel like that's an interesting discussion: how does one choose an army? Fluff, mechanics or painting?

For me, the lore is a major draw, that's why I'm heavily into Eldar and T'au. Because I like them. But the T'au are a lot less fun to paint. At the same time, the Imperium's lore is just so bonkers. Especially the IGs and Inquisition, they've got the most chutzpah of any army. Space Marines are just... maybe they're just too in your face all the time, I don't know. And ohhh, when the plastic Sisters come out, I'll be very excited for that. And the Orks, well... the Orks are just hilarious. If I'd play Orks in a tabletop game, I'd just be shouting "Moar Dakka" the whole time, and that's fun too.

I've been watching some tabletop plays on Youtube, found some fun channels, just to get an idea of how the different armies play. And while the T'au's 4+ hit seemed underwhelming for a shooting army, they still seem pretty well equipped to dish out some serious hurt. And who doesn't like giant Gundam suits, I mean, come on.

QuoteThe new Dark Eldar touting has me so tempted, though they have tissue paper armour and vanilla light toughness, my playstyle is more comfortable with more heavily armoured/tough shock trooping.
I mean, I could do Haemonculus Coven and go heavy on the Talos and Cronos... Though, eh. I like everyone else dig the other models, like the Wyches, Incubi, Kabalites, Wracks and Mandrakes.

Yeah, the channels I mentioned above, some of them are really into the new Drukhari codex. Apparently, they're a strong contender now on the battlefield, whereas in previous editions, I gather they were not?

wander

First up, of course InCase is the best thing known to man.  ;D

Okay, as for Orks... I'm a Brit and I get their whole 'football hooligan' slang in how they speak, with the whole East-end London twang thrown in. It's more of a noticeable parody for a Brit to get it, perhaps. Orks are very... working class English in their speech. I dig 'em, though they speak honestly like the kind of twat you'd keep a wide berth from.  ::)

I went to Geedubs today and they almost sold me on the Wyches after chatting on my own game-style... Apparently they can get a 4++ in melee and can charge after advancing, so Turn 1 charge is a thing... 8pts each, so 160pts for x20 wyches and they're glass cannon though have a silly amount of attacks... That's pretty fuckin' tempting...

Rad

I know exactly what you mean about the Orks. I'm quite familiar with the type of person they're a parody of. I still find them funny. Maybe for that reason, specifically.

So those wyches sound great. Advance and charge is great. Better even that the Howling Banshees I'm so fond of. But yeah, I guess you better hope to grind them significantly in your first round of attacks, or suffer for it later.

And what's "InCase"? I don't think I'm familiar with it.

wander

Well, the Geedubs dude was talking to clearly sell up the Drukhari as through small-talk it's kinda obvious I have a soft spot for them, even though they don't fit my playstyle. I have no idea if stratgems (of which you need Command Points to use) come into what he was saying. Though yeah, Wyches have always been glass cannons, same as the Witch Aelves in AoS, they're pretty much the same.

InCase is a comics artist that does lewd fantasy comics, the person who did the art for the comic strip in the link greenknight posted. They have a pretty distinctive style and I'm a pretty big fan of them. :)

Rad

So wait, you're telling me... GW employees are trying to sell you stuff? Perish the thought!

I'll definitely give the Drukhari book a look (heh). But for some reason, even though in Fantasy, the DElves were my main army... Dark Eldar just never had the same appeal for me.

And ah, I might have known if I'd followed the link above. I think someone recommended Alfie to me a while back, I'm just not big on webcomics in general.