D&D, Elliquiy Style [5e; DM seeking Party]

Started by White Wolf, June 01, 2018, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Wolf

Let's play Dungeons & Dragons, Elliquiy style...

I'm seeking players to embark upon, hopefully, a long-term D&D campaign specifically in the style of Elliquiy.

The players will form a coven to the Prince of Darkness, Graz'zt, a gathering of evil cultists looking to expand their cult of wicked indulgence, savage depravity and horrific pleasure. Nothing is off the table - this is Elliquiy, and the cult can indulge in every desire no matter how debauched or depraved. This is, after all, what the Prince of Darkness demands from his followers.

My intention is to mix what makes Elliquiy great with a sprinkling of Dungeons & Dragons. As far as players are concerned, EVERY kink and fetish is on the table. This is a cult to a Demon Prince of pleasure and debauchery, there are literally no taboos too sick or twisted. As far as the game itself, it will largely be up to the players to decide how much they want the focus to be on PURELY that aspect of the cult, and how much they want to break up the orgy-ing with actual D&D-esque activities. The players will start off as a coven, probably with no regular meeting space. Expanding the cult - and fighting off rivals, be they other cults, crime bosses, or paragons of the Good-aligned gods - is part of the game too, as it grows in size and starts to infiltrate important offices and institutions of the city (it'll be a homebrew city, the details for which I don't have much of yet).

That means, in pure D&D terms, the players will work to get themselves a base of operations - where they will host their depraved orgies, parties and gods alone know what else - as well as an army of cultist followers and other NPCs, both willing and unwilling, that they can order around, use, and abuse as they see fit - whether that be for business, or pleasure...

In pure Elliquiy terms, by contrast, if a player comes to me with an idea for a kink or fetish they wanna' roleplay, they can bring in an NPC to try it out with (or, you know, consenting players can let their characters get it on, whatever each individual prefers). For more exotic requirements, players might have to go off on a mini-quest to bring something back; but then, this is a cult to Graz'zt. A portal to his layer of the Abyss, and regular travels to and from, is all part of the crazy fun.

In housekeeping terms, the way this game will actually be played largely boils down to what players prefer - this could end up being a party game with the party working as a cohesive unit, a la D&D, to overcome challenges and celebrate afterwards with demonic gangbangs. Or, each player could decide they have their own personal goals and desires for what they get out of the game - Alaquin the Bard might want to spend the entire game simply roleplaying sex scenarios, while Kylie the Ranger might decide she actually wants to spend the game rooting out enemies of the Lord Graz'zt and killing them. I'm cool with having a split-narrative within the same game like that, I think it could add a lot of depth and dynamic to the concept. So if there's any mix of ideas somewhere along the spectrum of this game that appeals to you, it'll be able to cater, even if others have other preferences for how the game plays.

I'm looking for a party of around five players (I already have one player who's expressed an interest privately, so, that's one down!). Everything is on the table - all books and UA (with the exception of the Mystic. I do apologise, but I won't have time to read through 30 odd pages of mechanics just for ONE class. I'm sorry). Players start with the Graz'zt cultist feat "Joy of Pain", from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and ONE ADDITIONAL FEAT of their choice. Stats are point-buy, standard array OR rolling (entirely the preference of each individual), and wealth is likewise standard, or rolled, according to preference. Characters will start at Level 1 - the exact system by which I level up the characters will PROBABLY be attached to the size and influence of the cult; as it grows, so too will your characters, in mechanical terms.

In fluffy terms there is no restrictions on what your character is and does. Their backstory can be whatever you make it, so long as it doesn't impinge on other players' freedom of expression and ability to play the game, and their characters, as they see fit. As part of the character creation progress you can of course also create NPCs under your control to serve as allies, servants, bodyguards or playthings of your characters.

While there will be combat, it will most likely be rare (subject to whatever the players decide they're most interested in), so I'm not TOO concerned about party balance. We're here to have a lot of fun and revel in depravity, that's the most important thing.

There is, by definition, NO limit on what you're allowed indulge in, sexually (or otherwise...) in this game, within the bounds of Elliquiy's rules, with ONE crucial caveat - please keep your fellow players in mind. You cannot do anything to another PC without that player's consent, even if, in-universe, the act is not consentual. This is a basic, fundamental rule of the game and probably the most important - everyone's here to have fun, on their own terms. No player should be subjected to a situation that makes them feel uncomfortable. A player's personal preference trumps every other consideration - if you play a female Drow, and feel - righteously - that you should be able to command another player's male Drow to do your bidding, while that may be true within the rules of the setting, if that male Drow's player does not agree, then find someone else to boss around. It's a simple rule, and it makes sure everybody is happy.

For now, I do believe that is enough from me. I may update this thread as necessity demands, to expand upon my idea as I explore it more and begin to bolt down setting details and additional rules, but failing that those details will be added in an OOC thread for the party once a party has been assembled.

For anyone who is interested in joining but did not arrive early enough to get a spot in the game, you may now submit your character sheet, character picture and background details as a pos on this thread, to reserve a place in the event that another player drops out and we need a replacement.

Thank you for your interest!

The stars are coming right. Is this really the end?

Zaer Darkwail

*drops DM*

Literally drop a DM on you or PM? Anyways I voice interest on this and I believe there was one attempt of similar concept over a year ago (albeit related to Malcanthet's cult). Considering Grazz'zt cult lore, would female chars who please Grazz'zt (personally in sexual depraved manner) get boons from him or is it more gender equal for this game?

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 01, 2018, 12:10:47 PM
*drops DM*

Literally drop a DM on you or PM? Anyways I voice interest on this and I believe there was one attempt of similar concept over a year ago (albeit related to Malcanthet's cult). Considering Grazz'zt cult lore, would female chars who please Grazz'zt (personally in sexual depraved manner) get boons from him or is it more gender equal for this game?

Same question xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

ererruz

White Wolf

Quote from: ererruz on June 01, 2018, 04:16:22 PM
Are LGBTQ+ characters OK? :-)

I do not think the Lord of Limitless Pleasure differentiates between the sexes ;) Absolutely everyone and anyone is welcome in this game :)

Zaer Darkwail

Also for those who do not have Mordenkaine's tome; what Joy in Pain does?

Florence

I'm interested! I have some idea characters I could go with.

I had one idea for a cleric, but I'm not sure what domain a cleric worshipping Graz'zt would have for a domain.

If not a cleric, then I'm thinking Warlock or Sorcerer.

Race wise I'm thinking either a tiefling, or a Fallen Aasimar, or maybe some kind of elf.

I'm thinking the character would either be female or intersex (assuming that's okay), and identifying as female regardless.

Edit: I'm thinking of going with Winged Tiefling if that's okay. I know having at-will flight from level 1 can be a bit OP, so if it's too much I'll go with something else.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

White Wolf

Quote from: Florence on June 01, 2018, 06:48:50 PM

I'm thinking the character would either be female or intersex (assuming that's okay), and identifying as female regardless.

Edit: I'm thinking of going with Winged Tiefling if that's okay. I know having at-will flight from level 1 can be a bit OP, so if it's too much I'll go with something else.

Like I said above, absolutely anybody is welcome in a cult of Graz’zt. :D He does not care who it is, so long as they can (in theory) provide him with pleasure.

And in this game a Winged Tiefling is fine. I expect combat, what little of it there may be, to be a little unbalanced but that’s fine - it’s not the focus of the game, and if anything adds to concept by highlighting that these characters, being cultists of a Demon Prince, are dangerous individuals.

(I will edit with a response to you, Zaer, once I get out of bed and get to my books xD)

VonDoom

Also interested!

And since Mordenkainen's doesn't appear to be available in ebook format yet, I'd appreciate the details on Joy in Pain as well. Is there a lot of pertinent material in there?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Diabolus Lupus

I wouldn't mind trying this out myself. I'll have to wait until I get home to figure out a character, but I'm thinking something possibly oddballish. Maybe a dragonborn of some kind or half orc, unless we're allowed other races outside the standard in which case I might take a little longer deciding.

Edit: reread the initial post, so yes would like to play character choice will be made when I have a chance to look through my books more.

White Wolf

Making my edits here, so you're all informed of the notification -

(Welcome, VonDoom :D )

First off, my apologies, I didn't explicitly answer your first question, Zaer. It's an extension of my answer to ererruz and Florence - if you are ever ABLE to travel to Azzagrat, and tend upon Gaz'zt in his pleasure palace, then...if you survive the experience :P ...there will definitely be boons to be had. This has nothing to do with character gender - The Prince of Darkness does not care. When faced with a never ending banquet, why limit yourself to savoury or sweet only? And every cult of Graz'zt is a banquet of flesh to be enjoyed.

As for those of you who've asked for Joy of Pain, the direct description from the book is as follows:

Whenever this creature suffers a critical hit, it can make one melee weapon attack as a reaction.

And, Diabolus - as I said in my initial post, everything from every book and the Unearthed Arcana is available for this game. Party balance doesn't matter as combat is not the focus of this game; and when it does happen, it will be fun to be a little unbalanced. Play whatever you like! :D

Personally, in a cult whose objective is just a never ending orgy of depravity, the more monstrous and exotic races we can shovel into this thing the better, as far as I'm concerned :D

ererruz

For my character, I'm thinking a drow or half-drow paladin of treachery (from UA), with a possible dip into hexblade or sorcerer later in the game.

White Wolf

THE ROSTER IS NOW UNFORTUNATELY FULL UP. IF PLAYERS DROP OUT AND/OR WE SEEK TO EXPAND, I WILL BE OPENING IT UP AGAIN FOR NEW PLAYERS. IF YOU'RE READING THIS AND YOU'VE GOTTEN IN TOUCH ABOUT PLAYING, DON'T WORRY, YOU'RE IN!

THANKS, EVERYONE!

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: White Wolf on June 02, 2018, 03:22:04 AM
And, Diabolus - as I said in my initial post, everything from every book and the Unearthed Arcana is available for this game. Party balance doesn't matter as combat is not the focus of this game; and when it does happen, it will be fun to be a little unbalanced. Play whatever you like! :D

Personally, in a cult whose objective is just a never ending orgy of depravity, the more monstrous and exotic races we can shovel into this thing the better, as far as I'm concerned :D

Well then I am very much going to see how hog wild i can get with a first level character. >:)

White Wolf

Haha..."hog wild". Such an unfortunate choice of wording in a cult of depthless depravity :P

Also, everyone!

I decided to give everyone Joy of Pain on top of a feat of your personal choice because in Mordenkainen's new rules, EVERY cultist of Graz'zt gets it as a feat, irrespective of their actual NPC template (if you have a Noble NPC who is in a cult of Graz'zt, he gets it the same as the little throwaway Cultist NPC your players are cutting down in their dozens). I decided to keep with the theme of a Graz'zt cult by treating your PCs the same way - Joy of Pain for EVERYBODY!

However, the feat itself is only really useful if you're a melee fighter - if you attack at range, you can't really do anything with it.

SO.

For purposes of our game, I'm amending the Joy of Pain feat that everybody gets to read as follows:

When this creature suffers a critical hit, it gains a point of inspiration. This inspiration does not stack over successive critical hits.

Florence

Quick question: I was thinking of giving my character a pipe (and some tobacco), but there's not really any price or anything listed for stuff like that, so should I just give it to her for free, or is there a price you'd put on it?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

White Wolf

One silver for a pipe, 5 coppers for a pouch of tobacco, I guess :D

I will put up an OOC thread over the weekend so we can move the character creation process to a dedicated thread :)

Zaer Darkwail

*cheers*

Ok, myself I can play variety of roles and classes and will check unearthed arcana for anything interesting. Possibly warlock/hexblade or some fighter choices or play cleric.

Florence

Just to update, I'm going for a warlock (not hexblade) winged tiefling.

Zaer Darkwail

Florence, how would sound we make tiefling twins? Both warlocks but my case going for hexblade?

Also to ask; there in unearthed arcana there are invocations which give 'variant' weapon for hexblade when manifesting their weapon. So can we custom build invocation involving Grazz'zt sword (or sort replica) to hexblade devoted to him?

Florence

Haha! Twinsies! I don't mind Nereza having a twin!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Florence on June 02, 2018, 06:24:35 AM
Haha! Twinsies! I don't mind Nereza having a twin!

Glad to hear it :). Let's take further discussions details on PM's though.

White Wolf

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on June 02, 2018, 06:15:56 AM
Also to ask; there in unearthed arcana there are invocations which give 'variant' weapon for hexblade when manifesting their weapon. So can we custom build invocation involving Grazz'zt sword (or sort replica) to hexblade devoted to him?

So long as you follow the rules laid out in that UA segment, you absolutely can. I like that idea a lot :D

Florence

I just realized my character is basically the image in the first post.

White Wolf

Quote from: Florence on June 02, 2018, 07:09:20 AM
I just realized my character is basically the image in the first post.

I happen to be harbouring a serious crush on the image in the first post, so that works out very well as far as I'm concerned :D