News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Music Requests

Started by ChainsawAdams, August 01, 2012, 11:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChainsawAdams

Hey all, just waiting for approval.  In the mean time I've been updating my music library as I might soon have my own program on a podcast based out of NY.  I'm looking for suggestions for playable artists as the program director prefers to play music not in the main stream.  The show focuses on the following genre's.  Punk, Ska, Swing, Rockabilly, and Psycho-billy.  If you know any good bands in these areas of music let me know who they are and how to find their music.  Thanks everyone!
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
(Fridays 11pm EST on Party 934)
ON / OFF's
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152802.0

JackWhite

- No Use For A Name
- Billy Talent
- Less Than Jake
- Bowling For Soup
- Bad Religion
- Pennywise
- Anti-Flag
- Face to Face
- Four Year Strong
- Teenage Bottlerocket
- Millencolin
- MxPx
- New Found Glory
- NOFX
- Sum 41
- Zebrahead

(The Clash, The Ramones obviously)

ChainsawAdams

So many ska bands and you leave out the Reel Big Fish?  Shame on you, lol!
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
(Fridays 11pm EST on Party 934)
ON / OFF's
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152802.0

Chaosfox

Yea I saw that he left out Rel Big Fish to off the top of my head Ones I didn't see up there

-Gold Finger
-Street Light Manifesto
-Mighty Mighty Boss tones
-The Planet Smasher
- No Doubt (Yes their Early stuff was Ska look it up)
-Five Iron Frenzy (This  band Along with the Ska Christian Band Super tones got me into ska) 
-Oreskaband (This one is a Japanese band but I love there music)
-Flogging Molly
-Rise Against
-Catch 22

That is  all I can think of
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

yobo

Hopalong Knut from Norway ain't bad.

TentacleFan

The Clash
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
The Cramps
The Specials
Madness

...what? I like old stuff.  ;)

Naked Raygun
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks

I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Devilyn Sydhe

As far as punk goes, you've also got Blondie, Adam Ant, and I didnt notice any Green Day.  On the other genres, The Stray Cats are the only Rockabilly which come to mind, and, by extension, you have the Brian Seltzer(sp?) Orchestra in swing.  Also the Squirrel Nut Zippers.  I'm not sure with psycho-billy though that might be where the Rev. Horton Heat is classified.  Sorry, its been a long time since I last heard them so I could be remembering wrong lol

EternalStarLight

Unfortunately I can't think of any off the top of my head but I do love to share and talk about Symphonic Rock/Metal --- Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica.... good luck with your search!

Devilyn Sydhe

I first found Nightwish about six months ago myself, dont know a lot of their music, but definitely like what I've heard, just something about a strong female voice backed by hard rock guitars! :)

KieraJade

I'm so glad someone mentioned Flogging Molly! (Thanks, Chaosfox!) In that same vein, there are also the Dropkick Murphy's. Two of my favorite bands.

My husband recently introduced me to Skillet as well, and they have a great punk/rock sound. Similar to Evanescence, I think. Very strong female and male lead vocals.

#prismbreaker
"I am not a committee!"

rick957

Quote from: TentacleFan on September 01, 2012, 10:01:40 PM
The Clash
The Sex Pistols
The Ramones
The Cramps
The Specials
Madness

...what? I like old stuff.  ;)

Naked Raygun
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks

*breathes huge sigh of relief*

These styles of music are very old ... very very old ... and anyone who wants to get to know them should spend some time with the founders, like those mentioned above, rather than focusing exclusively on the later-generation imitators.  I like some of those too ... I'm just saying, the first wave artists are still essential listening.  If you skip them, you not only miss out on lots of great music, but you get a warped and diminished impression of the entire musical style.  IMO.

TentacleFan

Quote from: rick957 on September 19, 2012, 09:20:51 PM
*breathes huge sigh of relief*

These styles of music are very old ... very very old ... and anyone who wants to get to know them should spend some time with the founders, like those mentioned above, rather than focusing exclusively on the later-generation imitators.  I like some of those too ... I'm just saying, the first wave artists are still essential listening.  If you skip them, you not only miss out on lots of great music, but you get a warped and diminished impression of the entire musical style.  IMO.

Always good to see some fellow appreciators giving the old school love. I too like some of the newer material (I've enjoyed some Rise Against and other more contemporary groups) but there's no school like the old school.  8-)

As much as I love early punk I also really can't recommend enough the stuff that came around the same time or just after.

Public Image Limited (Johnny Rotten/John Lydon's band after/other than the Sex Pistols.)
Gang Of Four (One of my favorite groups of all time)
Joy Division
Magazine (What Howard Devoto was up to after his stint with the Buzzcocks)
Devo (God how I love this group and their social commentary)
Among many others.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread

Teo Torriatte

What is Psycho-billy?

That name just intrigues me for some reason.

rick957

@ Luna

Since no one else chimed in yet about "psychobilly," here's a link that might help:
http://www.allmusic.com/style/psychobilly-ma0000002801

I wasn't familiar with the term myself, but it turns out that I'm already a fan of at least one band that is considered "psychobilly."  I'm not going to start using the term, though, because it strikes me as a bit silly, at least for the time being.  Then again, I'm still struggling to get comfortable with the term "grunge," and that term is going on two decades old now .... I'm a crank.  ;)

@ TentacleFan

Your taste in music is impeccable, good sir!  I'm already a huge fan of a few of the bands you've mentioned in this thread; most of them, I confess, are artists whom I have read about frequently and plan to listen more to, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  There are many such bands that I'm always planning on getting around to, and every so often, I get around to one of them.  :)

I've got this wonderful Punk box set from Rhino Records ("No Thanks! The 70s Punk Rebellion"), and I'm pretty sure that every or nearly every artist you've mentioned is on it, somewhere.  I'm planning to get to know the boxset well ... someday soon ...

Punk is (still) the shit.  There are a great many bands and pop culture figures nowadays who falsely lay claim to the term and ought to be annihilated for soiling true punk with their opportunistic pretensions.  (Sorry, Avril Lavigggner fans, et al.)

About half of my favorite bands would fall into the second or third or fourth or fifth etc. wave of subsequent generations of bands who were influenced by punk and took it in interesting new directions.  (... The other half of my faves, just FYI, descended from the almighty Black Sabbath.)  (Represent!)

TentacleFan

Quote from: rick957 on September 20, 2012, 11:03:51 PM
@ TentacleFan

Your taste in music is impeccable, good sir!  I'm already a huge fan of a few of the bands you've mentioned in this thread; most of them, I confess, are artists whom I have read about frequently and plan to listen more to, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  There are many such bands that I'm always planning on getting around to, and every so often, I get around to one of them.  :)

I've got this wonderful Punk box set from Rhino Records ("No Thanks! The 70s Punk Rebellion"), and I'm pretty sure that every or nearly every artist you've mentioned is on it, somewhere.  I'm planning to get to know the boxset well ... someday soon ...

Punk is (still) the shit.  There are a great many bands and pop culture figures nowadays who falsely lay claim to the term and ought to be annihilated for soiling true punk with their opportunistic pretensions.  (Sorry, Avril Lavigggner fans, et al.)

About half of my favorite bands would fall into the second or third or fourth or fifth etc. wave of subsequent generations of bands who were influenced by punk and took it in interesting new directions.  (... The other half of my faves, just FYI, descended from the almighty Black Sabbath.)  (Represent!)

Thank you kindly! I recall posting in your previous music thread as well. We do seem to share a good bit of common ground. I looked up the listing for that Box Set and it seems like a truly solid representation of punks foundation. It made me recall some other favorites that I can't recommend enough. The only reason I'm not seeing about ordering it is I have too many of the albums featured. It would be easier to get the ones I don't yet have.  :D

The Damned (the song New Rose is one of the all time classics of punk in my opinion.)
Television (Part of the New York original CBGB's crew and they don't really sound like what you might think of when you think punk. Marquee Moon is such a great album though)
Iggy Pop and also Iggy & The Stooges (Probably more responsible for punks emergence than anyone)
Wire (I just love angular British Post Punk)
Richard Hell & The Voidoids (The song Blank Generation is probably punks defining anthem)
Suicide (Otherworldly music that is really hard to define.)
Siouxie & The Banshee's (Punk, proto-goth, one of my all time favorite female vocalists.)
Talking Heads (Their later stuff is good to but talk about one of the finest first 4 albums ever. Especially that 4th album Remain In Light, not a single bad track in my view.)

Oh and The Birthday Party, Nick Cave's band before the Bad Seeds. They're good too. I could keep this up all night.  ;D

There are a ton of great books on the Punk Scene that can be found. I highly recommend the book Rip It Up & Start Again by Simon Reynolds. It focuses on the years 1978-1982 and the Post-Punk scene. A great read I've been through it 4 times myself.

For now however I'll wrap it up with one of my favorite songs. Gang of Fours : Anthrax (aka Love Like Anthrax) Their deconstructionist anti-love song. Beware it opens with a little over a minute of hardcore feedback experimentation so don't listen with speakers at full...

Gang of Four - Anthrax

imran102

Lux12

Well I have to reccomend the following:
Antiflag
Tiger Army
Horrorpops
Rise Against
The Misfits
The Sex Pistols
Sum 41