legend of the five rings [interest check]

Started by BigBuckBob, February 27, 2012, 02:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBuckBob

If everyone who has expressed interest joins, I think that gives us six. a good pace to stop.

This includes you shadowfox.

The twenty questions for those of you new t the game or too lazy to go get your books at the moment... like me.
http://l5rmisty.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/the-20-questions-of-l5r/
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

ShadowFox89

I was thinking a Crane, from a brief look at the clans. As far as character....

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassBookworm

This would probably describe him. Any bit of help making a character is appreciated ^^'
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Character Name: Mirumoto Yamagi
Twenty Questions

• Crane Clan
  • Bushi
  • Kakita

Character Sheet

Name: Mirumoto Yamagi
Clan: Crane
School: Mirumoto Bushi
Insight: 1 (124)
Honor: 4.5
Glory: 1.0

Armor TN:
Initiative: 4k1

Fire: 2
   Agility: 3
   Intelligence: 2
Air: 3
   Reflexes: 3
   Awareness: 3
Water: 2
   Strength: 2
   Perception: 2
Earth: 2
   Stamina: 3
   Willpower: 2
Void: 2

Techniques, Tattoos, Spells and Kiho:

Equipment: Sturdy Clothing, 5 koku
Light Armor: +5 TH; Reduction: 3; +5TN to Athletics and Stealth
Katana - Attack: 6k3 ;Damage: 6k2
Wakizashi - Attack: 6k3 ;Damage: 5k2; Range 20'
Han-Kyu - Attack: 3k3 ;Damage: 3k2

Skills:
Skill (Emphasis) X - XkX
Defense 2
Iajutsu 3
Kenjutsu (katana) 3
Lore: Shugenja 1
Meditation 1
Theology 1
Courtier 1
Etiquette 1
Athletics 1

Advantages: Benten's Blessing (3pt)
Disadvantages: Cursed by the Realm (Sakkaku 4pt), Guillible (4pt), Idealistic (2pt)

Background:

Personality:

Appearance:

Important NPC:
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Here's most of Kyou.  Any thoughts to offer? 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name:      Suzume Kyou
Clan:      Sparrow
School:      Suzume Bushi School
Height:      5’10”
Weight:      
Build:      Medium, with good tone. 

Description:   The lythe beauty of a young man of the crane clan hides very nearly the full strength of the Crab’s young warriors.  Kyou is both of these things, yet neither.  Though he maintains manly stoicism, his eyes offer warm camaraderie and compassion.  He does not anger at petty things, but can be provoked to violence for the suffering of common folk that many would overlook.  Some might think his poverty marks him as a child of heaven wallowing in the mud with peasants.  Kyou smiles in quite pity.  He knows his place in the celestial order better than such fools.  He stands above those he rules, yes, for he is their protector.  They stand beneath him to lift him on their shoulders. 
   Kyou does not voice such radiacal ideas.  He fights for his country, hoping for a chance to stand against the taint.  At court he brushes clean his hakima and tells stories, offering charming smiles to the girls while his eyes promise that there are secrets in his tales he has yet to reveal. 
   There are always more stories to tell. 

Honor:      6.5

Air (3)
3   Reflexes
3   Awareness

Earth (3)
3   Stamina
3   Willpower

Fire (2)
2   Agility
2   Intelligence

Water (2)
3   Strength
2   Perception

Void (2)

Athletics         0
Battle            0
*Caligraphy         1
Courtier         0
Defense            0
Etiquette         1
Iajutsu            0
*Investigation         1
*Kenjutsu         3   (Katana)
Kyujutsu         1
Lore: Bushido         0
*Lore: Heraldry         1
*Lore: History         1
*Lore: Theology         1
Meditation         0
*Perform: Storytelling      3   

Merits: 
(4)   Benten’s Blessing
(7)   Paragon of Compasion
(3)   Voice

Flaws (Max 10)
(4)   Cursed by the Realm: Sakkaku
(2)   Idealistic
(2)   Lechery
(3*)   Overconfident

Technique: 
1:   All Things In Time: 
--The Suzume watches the flow of combat to discover the perfect time for his assault.  At the beginning of each Combat Round, before the first character has taken his Turn, you may reduce your initiative score by 5 to add 1k0 to all your attack and damage rolls for the Round. 

Defense:   20
--Damage Reduction   3
--Increase the target number of all athletics and stealth rolls by 5. 

Outfit:   
Hakima and Robe under Light Armor and Wooden Clogs.
Straw Pack, Cloak and Hat
Chopsticks
Gourd of Water and Gourd of Sake

Katana
Attack Roll   4k2
Damage      6k2

Wakasashi
Attack Roll      4k2
Damage   5k2
Range      20’

Yumi: 
Attack Roll   3k2
Amunition:   20 Willow Leaf Arrows
Damage   5k2
Keywords:   Large
Strength   3
Range      250’
Special Rules:    Increase the TN of all attack rolls by 10’ if used from horseback. 

20 Questions: 
--1.  My name is Suzume Kyou.  I am a warrior of the sparrow clan.  Do you know what that means?  Let me tell you a story...
--2-3.  Once upon a time there was a man named Suzume Akira.  He worked hard for many years ruling his land, defending his people, and serving his Daimyo.  He had a wife named Moemi, three daguthers--mighty    , beautiful Azuza, and wise Kurumi.  He also had a son, Kyou, which means Apricot.  After many years, Akira was rewarded for his service with permision to retire to a monestary and live out the rest of his life in peace and comfort.  Before he left, Akira told young Apricot the story of a child with mythical powers born from a giant peach, who slew many ogres through strength and wisdom.  Then he left his sword to his son--who was soon to begin his schooling in the arts of the Suzume Bushi--and left his children in their mother's care. 
4.  See above.  Kyou wears a straw hat and cloak over his somewhat mended indigo hakima and kimono.
5.  Trained in swordmanship and storytelling by his mother's father, Kyou grew up surounded by myths and legends.  What he longs for most is to live such a myhthic life himself. 
6.  Kyou's living hero and most trusted confidant is his older sister--   --the eldest of the Akira's children.  He admires both her honor and her strength. 
7.  Kyou is a dreamer--it is his greatest strength and greatest weakness.  Legends of heroisim give him strength while distorting his judgement. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

I would love to be apart of this i have a few questions though.
1. What Edition are we using?
2.Would Ronin be accepted?
3. Would you like any assistance with rokugani history and lore?.
4. Is there any room left?

Pumpkin Seeds

ShadowFox89

Seems like it, I thought you were making a Scorpion >.<

Well, it'll just make things more interesting. Maybe they are directly related?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pumpkin Seeds

I will have to rethink then I guess and try for another.  For now I'll step down.

Muse

Ack! 

I also thgouht you were making a Scorpion, Pumpkin!  (If I'd known you were going for a crane I'd have had Kyou suing for your hand isntead of already in an aranged marriage.  ;)  )
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 29, 2012, 05:01:38 AM
I will have to rethink then I guess and try for another.  For now I'll step down.

Aww, don't step down because of me  :-(
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AllieCat

No, I'm the scorpion.. she was just lamenting the fact that she (as a crane) will possibly get into duels because of the twubble *I* start :)

BigBuckBob

If no overlapping characters is that important to you, Pumpkin, you do get first dibs on the Kakita duelist.

---
marie-

1, current edition. 4 I believe.
2. ronin are fine.
4. I prefer an even party or a female heavy one. and no more then 7 players. [currently at 6]

3. I am more then happy to hear about proper history and lore, In PM. I may or may not end up using the information to correct or adjust in game.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

ShadowFox89

I can always switch to another clan and figure something out. Kakita duelist was the first thing I saw that was interesting.

I'll look for backup ideas.

Would you be fine with characters knowing each other before the game?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

LightNight

Char sheet
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Jin Yasuki
Clan: Crab
School: Yasuki courtier school.
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 180
Honor: 2.5

Air: 2
Reflexes: 2
Awareness: 3

Earth: 2
Stamina:  2
Willpower: 2

Fire: 2
Agility: 2
Intelligence: 2

Water: 2
Strength: 2
Perception: 3

Void: 2

Skills:
Commerce (Appraisal) 4
Courtier 3
Defense 3
Etiquette 3
Intimidation 2 (Control)
Sincerity (Deceit) 2
Animal Handling 2
Temptation 3
Weapon 2 (War Fans)

Advantage:
Clear thinker (3)
Crab hands (2)
Large (3)
Daikoku’s Blessing (4)

Disadvantage:
Greedy (3)
Overconfident (3)

Outfit: Traditional Clothing, Wakizashi, Knife, Calligraphy
Set, Traveling Pack, 5 koku

TECHNIQUES:

RANK ONE: THE WAY OF THE CARP
The Yasuki are masters of commerce and practice it far more
openly than other samurai families; they do not consider it
to be a breach of etiquette to engage in open commerce. You
gain a Free Raise when using the Commerce skill, and you do
not lose Honor or Glory for using the Commerce skill even
in public. Also, Yasuki are taught from youth to be adept
at sizing up their potential customers. When speaking with
someone you may make a Contested Roll of your Commerce/
Perception against their Etiquette/Awareness to discern some
material object or service they want or desire.

(wanted to make sure the char was ok before I do some finishing work.)
Enjoy the Fantasy just don't live your fantasy.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, if we are going to pursue an investigation type group then maybe we should look at making characters to really compliment the group's purpose and make ourselves diverse.

I would think we would need something along the following lines.

1. Investigator ( The Dragon of course come to mind with their Kitsuki Investigators, but also the Crane and Scorpion magistrates would be good here.  Another likely canidate might be the Kuni as they do produce both shugenja and Witch Hunters).

2. Political informant ( A Crane or Scorpion courtesian would be good here since they can mingle and information gather at the upper echeleons of society.  Their wits and ability would open doors needed to further an investigation and to also smooth over ruffles feathers.)

3. The common man (A character to associate with the common folk, the peasants and merchants.  This person could also do the "dishonorable" stuff such as sneak and follow people.  Ronin come to mind here, but also the Scorpion are a clan specialized in doing what has to be done.  There are also the Sparrow for their pull with the common people, merchants that might have sway with their money and power)

4. The mystic (Someone to commune with the spirits for answers and give the group a supernatural edge.  Plus, magic is always useful.  The Phoenix would be big here, but also perhaps the Crane with their emphasis on peaceful relations with the spirits.)

5. Muscle (Things have to get done and people don't always like doing them.  A fighter, through and through would be useful.  Honestly, I think the Dragon might be best here since their swordsmen operate well without armor and are feared for taking on multiple opponents.  A Lion could also work well with their percision and focus on duty.)

6. Duelist (Yes, I know I wanted to be the duelist but I do believe one is necessary, especially for investigation games.  Simply put, disagreements are settled with duels.  None are better than the Crane at these rigid formalities unless perhaps the Dragon.)

ShadowFox89

Well, Pumpkin, if you don't want to double up on character types, I was thinking of switching to a Dragon Bushi (I can pretty much keep the stuff I have, just changing some bits around).

Though, from what I understand, the Dragon and Crane primary Bushi schools (the Mirumoto and Kakita) are rivals and there'd be a bit of tension between the two.

edit: And my preference is always for players to play what is 'fun' for them, rather than worrying about trying to hammer everyone into a good mix.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

BigBuckBob

I agree with shadowfox.

If your team is lacking in something, I'll keep it light. And if i do use it, its because I want to see you work around it.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

Marie Reynolds

There would be another duelist. Cause I would most likely be playing a apart of the sun Tao ronin bushi school

ShadowFox89

So likely 3 duelists, since I'm doing either a Dragon or Crane (depending on what Pumpkin plays/says) Bushi >.>

edit: I'm also working on a potential connection between my character and another player's character....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

BigBuckBob

This is what I currently believe to be true.

Pumpkin- Kakita Duelist
allie- Scorpion courtier
Muse- Sparrow Bushi
Shadowfox- pending, Dragon/Crane bushi
lightnight- Crab courtier

Marie-possible ronin bushi

Haven't heard back from jassara.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

Pumpkin Seeds

Marie Reynolds

Pumpkin you can balance your skills between social and combat so you do not need to be a primary duelist.

Pumpkin Seeds

Duelist is a fairly specific focus.  So when three people identify their characters as duelists, that is three seperate characters focusing on the same type of combat.  This is three different people saying that their characters are all focused on iaijutsu duels. 

BigBuckBob

3 is definitely excessive.

pumpkin, you called duelist first, so you get first dibs.
do you want it
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

Pumpkin Seeds

I think I will try for something different since the duelist seems so popular.  Thinking perhaps an investigator from the Kuni family, a shugenja perhaps.