Old World of Darkness Game: The Isle of Avalon

Started by Sabriel, September 23, 2011, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

I just saw one in the Player's Guide to Garou page 136, Sulis the British Celtic goddess of thermal springs.  Expensive at 8 points, but if we get the extra freebie points, it could work easily enough.

Her bonus is a little confusing, though.  If you're tied in an attribute before it gets raised, like if you have a number of 2s,  does her XP thing apply?  Or only if you only have a single low stat?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Senti

The two fianna ...as in neither of them would be pack leader material. They are bickering teenagers. They may need there heads bashing together on a regular basis.

Sabriel

Quote from: Muse on October 06, 2011, 09:06:29 PM
*bow*  Thank you for giving us this marvelous opportunity, Sabriel. 

I'm starting up a new game soon.  I'd feel I wasn't giving either it or you the attention you deserved if I was spread too think.  Since you have so many applicants, I'll graciously step aside.  Good luck, everyone, and I hope you don't mind if I peak in for a lurk some time.  :)

OK Muse thats understandable and feel free to peek in if you wish hehe

Quote from: AndyZ on October 07, 2011, 08:24:07 AM
I noticed that nobody's discussed a pack totem yet.  Anyone have suggestions thataway?

Well before deciding on a pack totem it may be a better idea to actually decide if the characters are of a pack formed recently and not all familiar with one another, or a pack who are familiar with one another.  I think the first option would allow you for more choice and be perhaps more interesting,  and well it is not entirely necessary that the Garou are all from place near too the Island.

As for the totem well id say pick one that best suits the pack and your characters and what you would like, don't choose it based on what would fit the Island  :P  Maybe choose it because the totem may have some interest in finding out whats going on there and such by all means, but well it should be something that fits the pack and your happy with more than anything else.

Quote from: AndyZ on October 07, 2011, 10:02:44 AM
I just saw one in the Player's Guide to Garou page 136, Sulis the British Celtic goddess of thermal springs.  Expensive at 8 points, but if we get the extra freebie points, it could work easily enough.

Her bonus is a little confusing, though.  If you're tied in an attribute before it gets raised, like if you have a number of 2s,  does her XP thing apply?  Or only if you only have a single low stat?

I would assume really that if all your lowest attributes or abilities where tied then it would not apply, since if you have 2 in every attribute none of them is the lowest they are all equal.  So it would not apply until the point where one was the lowest, it also would not apply to traits of zero you have to actually have points in an ability for it to be considered a lowest thing.  It is still an amazing benefit and power of the totem if it worked the other way it would just be silly and overpowered.

AndyZ

I've personally found that pack/group games tend to work best if all the characters know each other.  If we can't get enough vampires and I end up making a werewolf, that's my vote.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Sabriel

QuoteI've personally found that pack/group games tend to work best if all the characters know each other.

I  would generally agree, but well I can see it working either way.

It would seam that at least two of the characters would know each other anyway, with the Fianna concepts proposed. 

I am OK either way however with what you decide preferable, either a pack where everyone knows each other which finds itself upon going to the island or a new pack bound together and sent there for more purpose and dedicated to such tasks.

There is a big nasty Oil Rig nearby heh which itself could probably provide a reason, I can always have the characters actually end up on the island by "accident" or such shipwrecked or lost at sea in the umbra and finding themselves there.

Although the above option I think lack some of the flesh of the story and would leave the characters more in the dark about the place, and perhaps with less reasons and goals other than to maybe escape the place to begin with although I am sure they might find reasons to stay hehe.

QuoteIf we can't get enough vampires and I end up making a werewolf, that's my vote.

At present it would seam that vampire does not seam to be a popular option, so unless there is a mass influx of sudden interest ill just do things as a Garou game with the island setting.  That is unless the players wish to have a more regular set Garou game, or different time period game although telling me soon would be preferable so I don't go planning to much for the island hehe.

AndyZ

Guess I better throw down my werewolf then.  My vampire idea will be held until there's a good chance for me to play Nicole.  The character sheet for this one is still in the works, and I still need a name (playing with Dances-Through-Shadows but not 100% on it), but here's the idea.

Being different isn't always something that's easy to embrace or accept.  Most of the time, you just think that you're what's normal, because you're the only thing that you truly understand, and you let yourself imagine that everyone else is the same.  Believing that is often the only way to truly be happy.

The first time she really realized that something was amiss was when she saw the deer, realized that it was kicking its legs but not moving, something strange going on with its neck.  Her packmates saw nothing wrong; they soon pounced upon the doe, fangs and claws striking against the prey while it squealed in agony.  The others quickly had the deer cornered, making sure it couldn't run, or at least it appeared so.

She didn't really understand why she paused.  Certainly she was hungry; food had been scarce of late, although there was no clear reason she could recognize to cause such a change.  She was more focused at the moment as to why, why the prey would not run despite its legs clearly not being caught or hindered in any way.  It looked more like some sort of vine, heavily twisted in upon itself, was around the deer's neck, but no deer was so careless to let such a thing happen by accident without soon freeing itself.

Even though it wasn't raining, thunder without light echoed through the woods.  The thick scent of blood forced its way into her nostrils as the alpha suddenly collapsed, yelping pitifully.  Unfamiliar scents soon followed as the sounds of the storm continued, and finally she heard it:  Laughter.  Human laughter.

Rage filled her, a rage she never before imagined or could fully understand.  She threw herself towards the assailants, getting up onto her hind legs, raking her claws and massive teeth in bloody vengeance.  The men screamed and pointed their strange tools at her; the thunder felt agonizing but would not bring her down.  The Rage would not allow it.  Their blood would be hers.

Later on, basic concepts were explained to her, once she fully understood who and what she was.  Manservants of the Wyrm, hunters, had been laying bait of deer tied with rope in order to draw out the wolves and thin their ranks.  Even though it sickened her that such things would occur, her mentor was quick to clarify that man is not the problem, that the Wyrm causes such things and that not even a return to the Impergium would bring peace.  Mostly she accepts that.  Mostly.

She's supposed to maintain a balance between the human and the wolf within her, she knows, but she has a lot of difficulty with her human side.  Although many would consider her attractive if "she would just clean herself up," she doesn't like to wash off her scent with water, and she refuses to wear the unnatural pigments upon her face that humans find appealing for some strange reason.  She doesn't like to cleave the fur from her legs because she gets cold, and she doesn't like the scent of perfumes, which she refers to as "rolling in flowers."   Although she also dislikes clothes, she tolerates them because they keep her warm in Homid and because it draws too much attention from other humans when she doesn't wear them.

She is wise without being knowledgeable, something that makes perfect sense to a Lupus but often puzzles the Homids who fail to see the distinction between them.  Further, she often finds herself curious about the "Secrets of Man," and she's quite fascinated to learn how humans collect honey without being stung.  Her current theory is that they have someone who collects it and is so often stung that he no longer minds the bees, though she hopes that there might be another way.

Right now I'm playing with the idea of Strength 2, Charisma 2 and Appearance 2.  I could raise Charisma and Appearance to 3 if I make Social my secondary stat, but I wanted to check if you follow the idea of Appearance being pretty immutable, or if you see Appearance as going significantly up or down based on how well a person makes themself look.  If she's always dirty, doesn't ever wear makeup and the like, I would imagine that her Appearance will be down for now and may eventually go up if packmates talk her into trying out such strange things.  However, I've had STs who claim it both ways.

Senti

Too be honest and I usually am :) when people use attractive pictures then they should pay the points. No amount of mud, or no make up will detract from natural beauty.

If one has a app 2 one finds a plain picture.

Otherwise what is the point in someone  paying out lots of points for that stat? As alot of us remember pictures rather than stats I think this is an important issue.

Sabriel

See I have never been one to question appearance much, in fact I think that some of the people who do are a bit quack.  The base of appearance is about your looks although it does include what you can do with them and how you can present yourself, but well like Senti says someone who is just caked in mud is not going to go from appearance 2 to 4-5. It does have everything to do with the way you look its just some are better at using that better than others.

A person with appearance of 4-5 could probably make mud look fashionable  ::)

You probably have a hard time convincing me on raising appearance in game, best start looking for Tzimisces or such cause nobody is going from 2 to 4-5 naturally :P

Why do you want to play a Lupus btw ?

AndyZ

Been checking through all the various books for various Totem options.  In the Silent Striders book, they have a Seagull, page 87.  For an island game, I think this would also be a great totem.

4 points of Background.  Two points of Area Knowledge for coastal areas, can float very easily in the physical and walk on water in the Umbra.  However, lose two points of temporary Honor, and if we're away from the coast for too long, Gull travels to the shore and we have to go chase her down again.

Quote from: Sabriel on October 08, 2011, 01:57:00 PM
See I have never been one to question appearance much, in fact I think that some of the people who do are a bit quack.  The base of appearance is about your looks although it does include what you can do with them and how you can present yourself, but well like Senti says someone who is just caked in mud is not going to go from appearance 2 to 4-5. It does have everything to do with the way you look its just some are better at using that better than others.

A person with appearance of 4-5 could probably make mud look fashionable  ::)

You probably have a hard time convincing me on raising appearance in game, best start looking for Tzimisces or such cause nobody is going from 2 to 4-5 naturally :P

That's fine.  As I said, I've been in games where it's gone both ways, so when it comes into question, I prefer to ask straight up.

QuoteWhy do you want to play a Lupus btw ?

Partially because that's the idea that I came up with, partially because I'm very tired of Homids after playing several Werewolf the Forsaken characters, and partially because it seems like we have several Homids already and it tends to be more fun when you have some people from all types.  If you prefer, though, I can try to swap to Metis and see if I can beat the concept together.

Sabriel

I dislike Werewolf the Forsaken myself I think it pales in comparison to its predecessor hehe its like value brand Werewolf in my opinion but thats just me. I do totally understand why they removed the choice of playing anything but homids however although not entirely necessary, I think since a sensible storyteller won't just allow things because there in a book and an all Lupus game can be great.

I will state now I am unlikely to accept a Lupus concept, unless I think it is really good and will actually fit within the pack and story well.  If I think it is liable to cause any issue or awkwardness and disrupt things the ill likely say no. 

If you play a Metis I will expect that to fit also, there will be no ignorance of deformity and few Garou who treat such a character equally. 

It does tend to be more fun when you have more people of different types, although id generally apply that more to tribe and auspice, It could also be said it can be fun and novel to play a group or pack of one type, tribe etc. That does not happen to often in my experience despite it happening in the setting :P 

Which sort of begs me to ask if difference is so important why play a tribe that someone else has already chosen to represent ?

I am not entirely convinced on the idea of there being two Uktena as it is one is more than enough, makes sense with some other tribes but I think one Uktena is the token and should be alone in this setting unless there is a connection between them ::)

grovercjuk

Player ID:   Paul
Breed:    Homid   
Auspice:   Ahourn      
Name:   John Fleetwood
Tribe:   Child of Gaia      
Deed Name:   Hard as Oak   
Attributes (7/5/3)
Physical      Pts.      Mental   Pts.
Strength       4
Dexterity       4
Stamina        4

Social           Pts
Charisma       2
Manipulation  3
Appearance   3

Mental
Perception      2
Intelligence     2
Wits                3

Abilities (13/9/5)
Talents   Pts.   
Alertness   3   
Athletics     4   
Brawl     4   
Dodge        4
Primal Urge 2
Drive           2   
Firearms      4
Melee          4
Survival       2
Computer    1
Medicine      2
Occult          1
Rituals         1

Cost      Breed   Auspice   Tribe   House
Cost      Master of fire   Razor Claws   Resist Pain   

Renown   Perm.   Temp.   Next Level
Glory   2      
Honor   1      
Wisdom         
Experience Points   
Constitution   Permanent   Temporary
Rage/Torment   5   
Gnosis   3   
Willpower   6

Sabriel

OK everybody I am going to proceed with just doing this as a Garou game, so lets get everything together  :-)

I have made a OOC character and discussion thread so we can move things along and get into play

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=121516.0

I am accepting up to 6 with 8 players maximum allowing for 2 slots for Kinfolk characters, I may allow other things if asked and concepts are proposed to me which make sense. I.E I may allow a Corax who may be acting as a guide to the Garou, or who may have lead them to the place perhaps knowing about it and how to get to it easily via hidden routes etc.

AndyZ

Right now the two Garou ideas that I'm playing with are a Get of Fenris Ahroun and a Metis Stargazer Theurge.  The deformity I'm considering for the latter is Fits of Madness, though I understand if that's not a physical enough deformity and I'd have to pick something else.

Woke up sick so my creativity is pretty sapped today.  I'll be on Yahoo for chatting, but I won't promise coherency.