News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[NCES] Exalted: Yu-Shan High

Started by kongming, May 09, 2013, 02:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re Z L

Quote from: Thorn14 on May 14, 2013, 11:41:30 PM
What would be some good backgrounds or artifacts?

Really depends on what you're trying to go for.  There's plenty of all-around good artifacts (Perfected Boots, Silk Armor, Transformative Armor, Hearthstone Bracers...) but even some of those might not really be that great depending on what you're going for with your Abyssal.  Same thing is true with backgrounds.

It'd be easier to make some suggestions if we knew what your concept was beyond perky goth girl necromancer.  Will she be dealing with ghosts (social type character), will she be using Necromancy to make undead servants, what's your caste, will she be a crafter, etc.
A&A

AndyZ

Can't be on long since I need to go to work soon but I'll list off what I can.

If you're loyal, Liege absolutely rocks.  In this game, however, Underworld Manse won't do much for you.  You absolutely need a Manse, though, and you want a soulsteel artifact that can hold the hearthstone if it's not an Abyssal hearthstone.

I love Whispers.

Omniscient Literary Advisor (64 WotLA) might be good for you also.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Jefepato

If you want something suitably creepy and Abyssal-y, those black widow bracer things might be a good weapon.  But then, I don't know how good at physical combat you really need or want to be.

AndyZ

Personally I'm hoping there's at least some combat but I realize how difficult that would be for people who aren't fourth year or teachers. There would have to be mooks in that instance
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Jefepato

I imagine that the Exalted version of PE class needs a steady supply of mooks in order to keep exercises going.  (Being able to survive a ninja ambush in style is just part of being a competent adult Exalt, after all.)

Hopefully we can find an external source so we don't end up having to use the unExalted students as punching bags.

Thorn14

Jefepato

Well, it'd be nice to have a source to use Wyld-Shaping Technique on, but unless we leave Yu-Shan on a lot of field trips I don't see too many Fair Folk showing up.

(Let's everyone get our Shaping defenses in order before we do that, okay?)

Thorn14

Haha.

I cna't find an abyssal Hearthstones I like, though I like this Lunar one that allows you to shape shadows.

How do they work against something that isn't yours again?

Jefepato

Artifacts of the wrong magical material are one thing (they cost more to attune generally), but the aspect of a hearthstone isn't a big deal.  You can use any hearthstone you own just fine, even if it's not Abyssal-aspected, if that's what you're asking?

AndyZ

It works but Abyssals have to have them mounted in soulsteel to work correctly and not take a penalty.

Thorn14

Okay. I might just get an amulet or bracers and maybe the lunar 1 point shadow hearthstone. It gives a bonus defense to range and I thought using shadows would be fitting.

AndyZ

Kinda surprised more people didn't stick around to make stuff.

avorae

I am still around just trying to figure out  a concept.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

AndyZ

Well, if you wanted a Night, I can switch my concept over to Zenith easily enough in order to open up the spot.

avorae

I might just do that cause I am not coming up with anything as far as thr god-blood is concerned or more precisly the cost to buy the extra Essence will kill me.

Nevermind I think i can do it with the points I was given.

Oh and if I take manse does it have to be a dorm? could i make it something like a private quarters assuming my lineage is high enough?

kongming

It doesn't have to be a dorm room, no - it's just that every dorm room is a manse, and the hearthstones are given to the dorm leaders accordingly. Anyone can have their own separate manse, however.

And yeah, with high enough lineage they'd let you stay there rather than forcing you to stay in a dorm with others.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Yano2mch

I still have a lot of reading to go through before I even consider an idea for a character... God the first 80 pages were long...

avorae

Quote from: kongming on May 16, 2013, 05:14:34 AM
It doesn't have to be a dorm room, no - it's just that every dorm room is a manse, and the hearthstones are given to the dorm leaders accordingly. Anyone can have their own separate manse, however.

And yeah, with high enough lineage they'd let you stay there rather than forcing you to stay in a dorm with others.

Awesome.. and I actually have my concept worked out now thanks to some help from Andyz. Iam going to play a 3rd or 4th year Twilight that runs the occult club.

I should be able to work on the actual sheet after i get home from work assuming the wife is not using the PC.

avorae

Hey Kongming I was wondering what your ruling on craft the craft skill is.

Do we have to purchase each craft separately?

Or does each dot of craft gives us one mundane craft skill until at level 5 we have them all and then we have to purchase the estoric skills as specialties?

Just wondering as I am going for crafting instead of a sorcery. After reading the rules on magic I decided to change it up.

kongming

Oh right, they changed their minds a few times about Crafting. I say we do it the simple way: the second way you described.

Also, in the next few days (possibly the weekend) I'll get some threads started up for people, to get the fun happening.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

ShadowFox89

I think I might make an Alchemical...

Not entirely sure, but I think third year, head of the Automatona Club.

Are we using standardized bonus points? IE, everyone has costs as Solaroids (because getting charged 10bp for essence is really annoying, and actually means a teacher wouldn't be able to actually have essence 6....)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Jefepato

Teachers get +45 BP.  At 10 a pop, that's more than enough to get Essence 6.  Not enough to get very much else BP-wise, but still.

...Hey, I only just noticed that teachers need a Virtue at 5+.  This is anti-Fiend discrimination!

kongming

The Fiends have Virtues, just... twisted through their own perceptions!

And although it is perhaps a little unfair that Solars get such good rates on their Essence gain, I don't think changing everyone else to match them is the best idea.

Ons/Offs:

Jefepato

Quote from: kongming on May 22, 2013, 07:06:20 AM
The Fiends have Virtues, just... twisted through their own perceptions!
Oh, lots of folks twist the Virtues through their own perceptions (even, arguably, the Unconquered Sun who embodies Virtue).  But there's a big difference between an Abyssal who thinks high Compassion means killing everyone gently, and an Infernal who literally can't raise her Virtues above 1 ever again.

Hollow Heart Transcendence is so worth it, though.  It just means poor Whisper's going to have to find alternate employment once she graduates.  (That, or get the rules changed during this next year.)

Keelan

So... I saw Student Council Pres, Treasurer, Head Cheerleader, 2nd-3rd-4th years...

So, I had 2 ideas... first is to make the Headmistress, head o' the school (bwahahaha!), definitely a Sidereal, likely Endings (after all, Bureaucracy is one of their caste skills). 

Second... well, it technically breaks the rules and is pre-existing, but... a Terrestrial DB who - through a LOT of effort - is the first Terrestrial to be initiated into the Sidereal Martial-Art circle, could be a student and if so would be the 'unofficial representative of the Terrestrials'  or something of the sort, or could possibly be a teacher instead.  Obviously to do this I will need permissions... and it'd be helpful if I can get permission to give her a charm the equivalent to what the Celestials get to reduce the Essence and MA requirements by 1-dot each for charm prereqs... can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

So yeah, just tossing the ideas out there... any preferences?