Maiden Voyage: Umberlee's Blessing [Closed]

Started by ambrosial, October 08, 2012, 12:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambrosial

Maiden Voyage: The Blessing of Umberlee

Recruiting closed for now; check back later!

1370 DR
City of Baldur's Gate - Harbor
Early spring, morning

A crowd gathers in the city harbor, coats still buttoned over their clothes though it is the earliest days of spring. The chill of night has left frosted puddles in the streets and makes clouds of their breath. Today the Blessed Trident sets sail on her maiden voyage, chosen by Umberlee's faithful for a voyage across the Trackless Sea - for reasons left unstated. Few in the crowd openly adore the Bitch Queen, but nearly all have come to praise Her as the ship sails, in the hopes of appeasing Her wrath and keeping their lives and those of their loved ones from the sea's cold grasp.

Although Umberlant clerics are often known to accompany ships to offer their protection (after the church is given a hefty donation, of course), that the Water Queen's House would sponsor a voyage of its own seems unusual. The High Priestess atop the platform offers the crowd a frightening sermon and urges them to be faithful to keep Umberlee's wrath at bay. She does not say why the Blessed Trident sails this day, only that it goes forth in the name of Lady of the Depths.  

In addition to the crew of the ship itself, a small party of mercenaries and other assorted ilk has been summoned to sail aboard the Trident (rumor has it the church is richly compensating them for their services), all accompanied by a junior cleric of Umberlee.

The Long:

So, with the flavor-text introduction out of the way, let me get down to business. I've been replaying the old Baldur's Gate video game series as of late, and it's spawned a game idea I can't quiet. I aim to GM this game (disclaimer: mostly novice GM here!), hopefully with a Co-GM to help me out. I will be taking the role of the priestess of Umberlee aboard the ship, since this character will serve as the source of most exposition/plot reveals. I'd like a crew of 3-4 other players (the Co-GM can certainly be one of the player roles!) to keep things on the small, manageable side, and I'd like each player to have some familiarity with the Forgotten Realms setting that will be our backdrop and be able to post once a week to keep the story flowing.

sleepingferrt has expressed interest in Co-GM'ing this game, and with his DM expertise, it is likely that this will be a system game. Details for how scores, rolls, etc will be handled will be discussed once we've gotten player interest.

Our characters will sail around on their (un)holy mission, running into trouble with pirates, storms, sirens - all the fun sailing adventure stuff. And over time, it will become clear that their mission is more complex than any of them - even the cleric of Umberlee - had imagined. There can be tension between characters but no PvP that results in death because that's just not fun for anyone - unless you want your character dramatically killed off.So expect healthy doses of adventure, action, and intrigue!

As for characters themselves, I have a level range of about 8-10 in mind and welcome any traditional classes and races - except Drow and other Underdark or monster races, unless you can give an intriguing/believable backstory for how your exotic character has come to be among the party.

To apply, please PM me a character sheet (see format below) and a brief writing sample (one paragraph) from your character's point of view. You can be of any alignment and have any motivation you like for being aboard the Trident: faithful of Umberlee (or not), sailor/mercenary out for the reward money, traveling merchant, spy from another church - anything you can come up with. Stats and ability scores and all that can come later; this character sheet is just to gauge interest and the overall feel of the character.

[u]Character Sheet:[/u]
[i]Name:[/i]
[i]Race:[/i]
[i]Class:[/i]
[i]Alignment:[/i]
[i]Gender:[/i]

[i]Physical Description:[/i]

[i]Biography/Personality:[/i]

The Short:

What: Seas-based adventure/intrigue game
Who: 3-4 players
Where: Set in the Forgotten Realms (3.5 ed.), starting in the city of Baldur's Gate, then heading across the Trackless Sea
How: Simply PM a character sheet to me (Ambrosial) and sleepingferret or post your interest/questions here
Why: Because it'll be fun! :)

Characters So Far:

1. Human cleric of Umberlee (Ambrosial)
2. Half-ogre ranger (BenedictWolfe)
3. Human fighter/rogue (OldSchoolGamer)
4. Tiefling wizard (Silverfyre)
5. Human beguiler/swiftblade (Enshin)
6. Human monk (Countdown0)

Other Game Threads:

OOC
Rules
We'll make the honeysuckle jealous.

Ambrosial's Wine Tasting - Original and Fandom Plots (Updated May 2014)
Ons and Offs and Current RP - Updated Sept. 12, 2014
Avatars- For a visual sampler (Updated June 2, 2013!)
Absences - Semi-Absent Through 01/20/15. Please read!

ambrosial

Update: The awesome sleepingferret will be Co-GM for this game.

Now we just need some interested players! Come on, FR/DnD folks: let's see what you've got! ;)

sleepingferret

I just sent my acceptance, actually.  So, yes bring on the heroes or villains as it may be, but the high seas of Toril await.

BenedictWolfe

I've sent in an application to Ambrosial, so you have at least one interested party.

ambrosial

Quote from: BenedictWolfe on October 10, 2012, 11:27:32 AM
I've sent in an application to Ambrosial, so you have at least one interested party.

Fantastic; reply sent to you.

sleepingferret

Just a small note to any considering "exotic" races (commonly refered or considered as anything outside the PHB).

I've hated the lvl adjustment rule, so I'm more "old school" when it comes to what 3.5 considers to be "powerful" races (anything with a level adjustment or ECL).

ECL 0-1 No penalty
ECL 2 -10% to XP earned
ECL 3 -15% to XP earned
ECL 4 -20% to XP earned
ECL 5+ -(20 + 10/ECL > 4)% to XP earned (max -80%)

ECL calculations for XP penalties include initial Racial Level Adjustment and Racial HD (if any).  They do not include character class levels.  Thus a 1st level drow fighter (LA +2), would be treated as an ECL 2 for purposes of determining XP penalties, same as if he were 10th level; even though by the "book" he is ECL 12.

Side note Update: I'll mostly be the "referee" for this game.  As stated by Ambrosial, further details about full handling of things will be given as we get more interest expressed.  For the most part however, suffice to say, that the majority of the "die rolling" will be for combat.  Characters should still be created with full skill sets, and should possess what some may consider "trivial" skills such as knowledge, profession (blacksmithing), etc, etc as it fits your concept.

Countdown0

I'm interested in this.  I've always wanted to play as an evil character in D&D, so I'll definitely be doing that :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Koyume

So, you said level 8-10; should we just choose a level between those, or are we assuming 10 now for starting level? Also, what about ability scores and hit points (i.e. roll, take the average every level, etc)?

ambrosial

Quote from: Koyume on October 11, 2012, 04:09:53 AM
So, you said level 8-10; should we just choose a level between those, or are we assuming 10 now for starting level? Also, what about ability scores and hit points (i.e. roll, take the average every level, etc)?
A good question!

At this stage, I'm leaving it as a general level range, just to give people an idea of what the characters' power levels are. The purpose of this initial character "sheet"/application is just to get a solid idea of the character concept, so I wouldn't worry about ability scores, exact level, etc at this point.

Those technical details will come after we're settled on character concepts and players.

However, since ferret will be in charge of most of our technical game-running decisions (he's the director to my producer, if you will), if he wants to pipe in now with an official ruling on how ability scores, hitpoints, etc. will be determined, I won't object. ;)

ambrosial

Update: As of now, we have received and accepted two character concept applications (from BenedictWolfe and OldSchoolGamer). I think one or two more will round out the bunch, and then we can move on to the nitty gritty of character sheets and details.

For those who have posted in the thread and remain interested: a place is being "held" for your application until you say otherwise, so don't worry about having to rush a character to beat it to the punch or anything. Still welcoming character concepts from anyone interested though! :)

Felenari

I'm totally down to play. I'll be PMing a character sheet soon. I would like to play a Rakshasa who is neutral good. (Don't worry I'll be able to pull off a good reason for the character to be neutral good/chaotic good and why he's so far away from his lands.) I was going to try for warrior or preferably palladin. I know that race is kind of OP compared to some and I'll gladly take some epic debuffs to play the race.

I've played DnD a few times and have never done dice rolls on the internet so I might need some help with that aspect. Other than that I'll start writing the character sheet as soon as I get the go ahead for a rakshasa character.

What gold, gear etc are we starting with also? Do we get to pick our own depending on lvl gold or are you handing out gear?

sleepingferret

Paladins, still have the alignment requirement of being: Lawful Good.

As for a Rakasha....I'm going to lead towards no.  Half-celestial human or maybe even a half-dragon, ok maybe.  But Rakasha are essentially "developed" characters as they are.

Countdown0

Alright, I have a basic character concept.

I'd like to make a human Swashbuckler/Rogue who is Lawful Evil. Being a Swashbuckler would fit in with the characters doing a lot of sailing about and "Sailing" could be the 'mundane' skill that he would have. Being a Rogue though, he would have a lot more utility. He would be resourceful and independant, preferring to do things himself rather than rely on other. Of course, he'd happily make an exception for manipulating others.

Still, he'll work with the group mostly for reason that are quite selfish.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

ambrosial

Quote from: Countdown0 on October 11, 2012, 06:06:23 PM
Alright, I have a basic character concept.

I'd like to make a human Swashbuckler/Rogue who is Lawful Evil. Being a Swashbuckler would fit in with the characters doing a lot of sailing about and "Sailing" could be the 'mundane' skill that he would have. Being a Rogue though, he would have a lot more utility. He would be resourceful and independant, preferring to do things himself rather than rely on other. Of course, he'd happily make an exception for manipulating others.

Still, he'll work with the group mostly for reason that are quite selfish.

Will send you a PM shortly.

Update: I also added a list of accepted character concepts thus far. I probably should have gotten on that a bit sooner, but it's there now!

Silverfyre

If you are still seeking players for this, I would love to get involved.  I have been playing an ongoing campaign within the Forgotten Realms since the days of 2nd Edition so I definitely know the material and the gaming system involved.  I'll send you both a PM with a character concept shortly.

ambrosial

Quote from: Silverfyre on October 12, 2012, 11:16:33 AM
If you are still seeking players for this, I would love to get involved.  I have been playing an ongoing campaign within the Forgotten Realms since the days of 2nd Edition so I definitely know the material and the gaming system involved.  I'll send you both a PM with a character concept shortly.
(How did I not know you were a Forgotten Realms fan? :O)

Anyway, yep, got 2-3 spots open/in the works at the moment. So all applications are welcome! Send 'em in to me and sleepingferret, folks! ;)

Silverfyre

We keep doing this, don't we?  I rarely look at the Group listings and seen your name pop up so I had to check it out for curiosity's sake since you are one of my favorite writing partners.  And here I find you are a FR junkie like myself.  I knew I loved you for many reasons!

sleepingferret

<--- note the new avatar, I'm also a FR junkie.  I've built up a collection of nearly every 2nd and 3rd edition book and module of FR material.

OldSchoolGamer

Some of my favorite tabletop games were in FR.  I began gaming around 1980, so I remember when the setting came out.  I used to have the full-color map before I lost most of my gaming stuff in a move gone horribly wrong.

Silverfyre

I noticed the Elminister avatar.  You got to love the dirty old man mage.

I have a lot of the original grey box maps festooned around the house, along with the 3rd and even 4th edition world maps.  It's nice to find a Realms game that is both 3.5 and set during a period of its history that doesn't involve chaotic good drow Gary Stus and blowing up the campaign world.

ambrosial

I refuse to acknowledge that the 4th edition transition happened, so..yeah. >.>

Anyway, another muy importante update:

Update: Recruiting on Hold

Because the number 5 was really bugging me, I've expanded the number of character slots to 6 for this game. However, I'm placing recruiting on hold until those who have expressed interest in joining have had a chance to submit applications, if they want: Felenari, Koyume, Countdown0, and Ershin. If you're no longer interested, I won't hold you to anything - just lemme know.

So newcomers, hold off on tossing your hat in for a bit; should one of those who has raised their hand end up not joining, I'll open this back up. Just want to make sure people get the chance to get their apps in. (If you're really, really interested and not one of the three listed, PM me and ferret anyway and we'll talk. I'm nice like that. ;))

sleepingferret

Character creation details: Ability scores (point buy or die roll), starting gold, etc.  Will be posted up this weekend (either tonight or tomorrow).

If anyone has any other "technical" game related questions please feel free to ask in the meantime.

Silverfyre

sleepingferret

Well... since I do have time now and since you asked. :P

Ability Scores: 28 pt buy (let's have a little fun)
Hit Points: Max for your Class HD (at 1st lvl) then Average for HD type (see page 168 Dungeon Master's Guide)
Starting Gold: 40,000 gp (limit per single item: 15,000 gp; please PM me for if you would like to ask for an exception for an item between say 15,000 - 18,000 or something that would just fit your character and is outside the 15,000 gp limit)

Reminder: Level adjustments only affect future earned XP, and I will take overall party strength into consideration when Ambrosial and I are discussing/planning encounters.  But your Level Adjustment which by book rules would affect your ECL, does not affect your starting level.  ECLs will only be used as an overall baseline for encounter planning, as well as affecting your individual XP earning.

Update: Added ECL XP penalty Chart to this post as a reminder.

ECL 0-1 No penalty
ECL 2 -10% to XP earned
ECL 3 -15% to XP earned
ECL 4 -20% to XP earned
ECL 5+ -(20 + 10/ECL > 4)% to XP earned (max -80%)

ECL calculations for XP penalties include initial Racial Level Adjustment and Racial HD (if any).  They do not include character class levels.  Thus a 1st level drow fighter (LA +2), would be treated as an ECL 2 for purposes of determining XP penalties, same as if he were 10th level; even though by the "book" he is ECL 12.

Silverfyre

Fantastic.  I do love your guidelines on ECL.  I'll get a sheet to you soon.