The Dark Just After the Dawn (NC, Apoc)

Started by OldSchoolGamer, October 05, 2012, 10:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Last night, you went to bed just like normal.  The world of Southern California was its usual crowded, busy, glitzy self.  The news was about a prominent movie star back in rehab, a coup in the Middle East, a plane crash near Australia.  Apple was expected to announce a new iPad.  A wave of thunderstorms had rolled across Arkansas and Texas, spawning three tornadoes, killing 2 people.  The European Central Bank had announced it was holding firm on interest rates.  A car chase across the Southland ended when the vehicle failed to negotiate a turn and ended up smashed against an embankment while doing a little over 90.  New York City and Boston had been hit by simultaneous blackouts believed to be caused by power grid operators failing to adequately compensate for a voltage spike.

Then you turned the TV or radio off and went to sleep...not realizing you would never watch TV or listen to the radio again.

Ever.

The next morning you wake up...to a changed world.

This is a story very loosely modeled after the Revolution TV series.  There are some significant changes and twists, to wit.

1) No canon characters.  This is an entirely separate story universe.  Revolution is inspiration for this, not direct source material.

2) Your character's storyline begins right after the blackout starts--not 15 years later.

3) The cause of the blackout won't be immediately apparent, but you'll figure it out, after a time.

As in Revolution, the blackout kills electricity.  Batteries don't discharge or charge.  Generators don't work.  Anything based on the integrated circuit is dead: radios, computers and computing devices of any kind (desktops, laptops, tablets, calculators, cell phones).  Cars generally don't work, as they require batteries.  Cars with manual transmissions *can* be push-started, but any cars made past the early 1980s have computers in them to optimize the mixture and whatnot, so they will run rather choppy and rough.  Cars made past the mid-1990s are too computerized to operate--the engine will turn over if push-started, but will immediately die.  Hybrids and electric cars are dead. 

As for characters, I'm looking for villains, primarily.  The kind of people who will "go rogue" when civilization crashes.  Most of these stories focus on the heroes and the innocent--I'm looking for the guilty.  Of for those who would be guilty, were there any courts or laws to try them.

Your character can be from any walk of life.  However, to make things reasonable, he or she can't be a gun nut.  Competent with firearms, yes, but you won't get to start the game with an arsenal and Special Forces training.

You can choose to have your own thread, or to begin the game with others who agree to start with you.  What relationship you have/had before the blackout is entirely up to you.  All the threads occur in the same story universe...but the universe is a big place, especially after the blackout takes away communications.  Please pick a partner(s) who plan(s) on at least roughly the same posting rate as you.

Character sheet

Player name:
Character name:
Height:
Weight:
Description:

PRIMARY skill (1) (what your character is BEST at.  CANNOT be martial.):

Major skill (2) (things your character is GOOD at.  One may be a martial skill, but CANNOT be gun-related):

Minor skill (5) (things your character can do with reasonable competence, though not excellence.  Three may be martial skills, two gun-related):

Examples of non-martial skills: accounting, fast-talking, law, running, fishing, small engine repair, burglary, welding, orienteering, swimming, escape artist, rock climbing, first aid, medicine, chemistry, avionics, geology, sewing, con artist, card shark, carpentry

Examples of martial, NON-gun-related skills: kickboxing, jui-jitsu, evasion, brawling, pursuit, archery, karate, fencing

Examples of martial, gun-related skills (cannot be "shoots real good"): gunsmith, ammunition technician, sniper, tactics, skilled in (choose pistol, rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher, field artillery)

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation:
Limits:
What I want out of this game (i.e., "rape and pillage," "find out stuff," "plotline," etc.):

Fair warning: this is an apocalyptic scenario, so there will be blood.  And sex, including liberal amounts of non-con.  This is a GM-led game, however, suggestions as to content and situations to encounter are always welcome.

List of accepted characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=154076.msg7030754#msg7030754

Bloody Rose

mmm do you only accept bad guys for now? I am not very good playing them :(

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Bloody Rose on October 05, 2012, 10:34:44 PM
mmm do you only accept bad guys for now? I am not very good playing them :(

I'm not making that a hard rule.  I just think it would be interesting to look in the other end of the proverbial telescope.  If you play a "good" character, you will likely be victimized by bad guys though.  >:)

Bloody Rose

Better then hehe if I make a non combat girl? I was planning to do a doctor or something like that.

Bloody Rose

Player name: Bloody Rose
Character name: Jessica Cooper
Height: 5'5:
Weight: 225
Description:

PRIMARY skill (1) (what your character is BEST at.  CANNOT be martial.): Medicine

Major skill (2) (things your character is GOOD at.  One may be a martial skill, but CANNOT be gun-related): Cooking, Running

Minor skill (5) (things your character can do with reasonable competence, though not excellence.  Three may be martial skills, two gun-related):   Archery, Sewing, Chemistry, Swimming, Fishing

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation: Bisexual
Limits: Scat, Gore, Vore, Bestiality, and anything too extreme.
What I want out of this game (i.e., "rape and pillage," "find out stuff," "plotline," etc.): Perhaps being captured by the bad guys and raped? rescued later? since the only thing my char can do well is with a bow she cannot defend herself so she can be subject to a lot of things. The sky is the limit.

Tackyhillbilly

Player name: Tackyhillbilly
Character name: Timothy Rayne
Height: 6'4
Weight: 210
Description:

PRIMARY skill (1) Electrician? Doing wiring and all that stuff.

Major skill (2) Computers, Mechanic

Minor skill (5) Pistol use, Driving, Swimming, Climbing, Pilot (Helicopters)

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual
Limits: Homosexuality, toilet, hard gore, vore
What I want out of this game: To have fun, I suppose? Each in their time.

OldSchoolGamer

Chreestafer

still looking? if so i know you were talking bout no special force training or anything but does that restrict total military like navy? i was thinking of making a character who was a naval aeronotic mechanic
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Chreestafer on October 06, 2012, 01:20:33 AM
still looking? if so i know you were talking bout no special force training or anything but does that restrict total military like navy? i was thinking of making a character who was a naval aeronotic mechanic

That's fine.  Characters can have military backgrounds, just not be John Rambo or GI Joe.

Reia

Definitely interested in this. Trying to figure out a character that would fit in the setting. Would it be alright if they were mostly in the grayish area in regards to how "bad" they are?
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

PuckThePlayful

I'm interested, and have come prepared with a character.

Player name: PuckThePlayful
Character name: Arthur Richards
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 215lbs
Description:

Trouble since the day he was born, Arthur could have gone far in life with a little direction and guidance. Instead of a career in spots, it was a childhood in and out of juvie, followed by career in the fast pased industry of the convience store chains. After bikes, and rock concerts, drugs and girls, he was in hell. Arthur was ready for the world to end, if only to save him from its monotany.

PRIMARY skill (1) (what your character is BEST at.  CANNOT be martial.): Doing stupid things at high speeds on a motorcycle.

Major skill (2) (things your character is GOOD at.  One may be a martial skill, but CANNOT be gun-related): Small engine/motorcycle repair; Brawling.

Minor skill (5) (things your character can do with reasonable competence, though not excellence.  Three may be martial skills, two gun-related): Skilled at Pistols, Running, burglary, swimming, street pharmasist

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual/Bi-curious
Limits: Scat, Excessive gore (There will be blood.), Vore, Bestiality.
What I want out of this game (i.e., "rape and pillage," "find out stuff," "plotline," etc.): A nice sized building, a small harem (willing or otherwise), to be the king of my own city state... But I can start small.
"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear."

—The opening of Puck's epilogue.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Reia on October 06, 2012, 07:33:07 PM
Definitely interested in this. Trying to figure out a character that would fit in the setting. Would it be alright if they were mostly in the grayish area in regards to how "bad" they are?

Sure...your character need not tear the wings off butterflies, nor sacrifice cute animals to Satan.  Dyed-in-the-wool, extreme "Neutral Evil" gets boring.  A common person with one or two significant moral weaknesses (perhaps even partially balanced out by a mild to moderate virtue here and there) is more interesting.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: PuckThePlayful on October 06, 2012, 08:43:29 PM
I'm interested, and have come prepared with a character.

Player name: PuckThePlayful
Character name: Arthur Richards
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 215lbs
Description:

Trouble since the day he was born, Arthur could have gone far in life with a little direction and guidance. Instead of a career in spots, it was a childhood in and out of juvie, followed by career in the fast pased industry of the convience store chains. After bikes, and rock concerts, drugs and girls, he was in hell. Arthur was ready for the world to end, if only to save him from its monotany.

PRIMARY skill (1) (what your character is BEST at.  CANNOT be martial.): Doing stupid things at high speeds on a motorcycle.

Major skill (2) (things your character is GOOD at.  One may be a martial skill, but CANNOT be gun-related): Small engine/motorcycle repair; Brawling.

Minor skill (5) (things your character can do with reasonable competence, though not excellence.  Three may be martial skills, two gun-related): Skilled at Pistols, Running, burglary, swimming, street pharmasist

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual/Bi-curious
Limits: Scat, Excessive gore (There will be blood.), Vore, Bestiality.
What I want out of this game (i.e., "rape and pillage," "find out stuff," "plotline," etc.): A nice sized building, a small harem (willing or otherwise), to be the king of my own city state... But I can start small.

: nods :

Sounds good.

Reia

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on October 06, 2012, 08:47:30 PM
Sure...your character need not tear the wings off butterflies, nor sacrifice cute animals to Satan.  Dyed-in-the-wool, extreme "Neutral Evil" gets boring.  A common person with one or two significant moral weaknesses (perhaps even partially balanced out by a mild to moderate virtue here and there) is more interesting.

Awesome, will try to come up with something by tomorrow.
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

OldSchoolGamer

the Dramatis Personae thus far

Jessica Cooper (Bloody Rose), 25F, doctor
Timothy Rayne (Tackyhillbilly), 39M, electrician
Arthur Richards (PuckThePlayful), 27M, convenience store clerk
TBD (Reia)
Christopher Phoenix (Chreestafer), 24M, Navy avionics tech
Rachel Greenbaum (Branwen), 18F, petty criminal and junkie
Lancerious Trouwers (flassche), 24M, tracker
Brietta “Brie” Fox (Phoenyx), 26F, museum docent/researcher

Bloody Rose

will this take place 15 years later like the series or the day it happened?

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Bloody Rose on October 06, 2012, 09:27:52 PM
will this take place 15 years later like the series or the day it happened?

The story begins at the time the blackout starts.

Bloody Rose

ah ok perfect, I am watching the only three episodes so far, kinda neat series

Chreestafer

Player name:Chreestafer
Character name: Christopher Phoenix
Height:6'2
Weight:198
Description:

Chris came from a troubled life, he did ok in school but was constantly bullied in school. An abusive father enrolled him in boxing to teach him to not be a wuss.  His senior year he cold cocked James Mccrew, highschool quaterback, for reasons still unknown.  This action putt the quarterback out for the remainning 3 games costing the school the championship.  Chris was given 2 options, navy rotc or juvy, choosing the rotc led him into his career as a naval mechanic on the airplanes.

PRIMARY skill (1) (what your character is BEST at.  CANNOT be martial.): mechanical engines and engineering

Major skill (2) (things your character is GOOD at.  One may be a martial skill, but CANNOT be gun-related): boxing, guitar

Minor skill (5) (things your character can do with reasonable competence, though not excellence.  Three may be martial skills, two gun-related):knife fighting, minor gun range experience, swim, running, bow hunting

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation:bi-curious
Limits: gore, vore
What I want out of this game (i.e., "rape and pillage," "find out stuff," "plotline," etc.):just to enjoy my grand self :)
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Branwen

If you're still accepting characters, I'd like to audition.  If not, I'll just move along.  Character below.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Player name:
Character name:  Rachel Greenbaum
Height: 5'0"
Weight:  95lbs
Description:  Five feet of not much and a whole lot of daddy issues wrapped up in the grime of the streets.  Rachel has the perpetually shifty look of someone needing her next fix and habitually wears jackets or long sleeves to cover the marks of her addictions.  Don't let her baby blues fool you; this girl is trouble.

PRIMARY skill:  Pickpocket

Major skill:  Stealth, switchblade.

Minor skill:  Streetwise, contacts (criminal, narcotics), lying, escape, scrounging

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation:  Heterosexual, not even remotely bicurious
Limits:  Underage, vore, scat/pee, guys named Eddie.
What I want out of this game: to take advantage of the trusting nature of good people and be a bad, bad girl.  Character survival optional.

DarkEnigma

Hope you have room for one more!

Player name: Flassche
Character name: Lancerious Trouwers.
Height:6'3
Weight:190
Description:

Lance’s life could be summed up with one word; death. When birthed in this world he claimed his first life, tearing his mother apart from the inside out. She died before she could even see her son. The years that followed were tough on the young man. His father was a professional hunter on a nearby game preserve, in charge of keeping animal population under control and turn would be poachers over to the authorities. Not to mention the yearly handholding of millionaires who wanted the thrill of hunting live prey.

His father -lacking the standard parenting skills- took the boy along on his trips, teaching him how to track and hunt. Most of his time was spend observing animals or searching for tracks, yet on occasion the boy did participate in the act of killing. He never felt more at ease when taking another life, feeling as if it was natural or a way of live.

PRIMARY skill (1) (what your character is BEST at.  CANNOT be martial.): Tracking.

Major skill (2) (things your character is GOOD at.  One may be a martial skill, but CANNOT be gun-related): Archery, herbalist

Minor skill (5) (things your character can do with reasonable competence, though not excellence.  Three may be martial skills, two gun-related):knife fighting, swimming, evasion, judo, climbing.

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation: Bi-curious
Limits: Being the submissive in a M/m scene, dismemberment
What I want out of this game (i.e., "rape and pillage," "find out stuff," "plotline," etc.): Hunting, all.

phoenyx

i'm interested, but more comfortable playing a "grey" charater with a hidden dark side, if possible.
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O

OldSchoolGamer

See updates to Dramatis Personae, above.

I've got room for one more.

Now comes time to pick teams or coalitions.  You don't have to have partners, of course, but you might find it interesting.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: phoenyx on October 07, 2012, 01:36:48 PM
i'm interested, but more comfortable playing a "grey" charater with a hidden dark side, if possible.

Sure...like I said upstream, those are more interesting than the Hannibal Lecter types anyway.

phoenyx

a'ight then, will work up a char to throw out *smiles*

and here she is:

Player name: phoenyx
Character name: Brietta “Brie” Fox
Height: 5’7”
Weight:  137 pounds
Description:

Brietta grew up always trying to figure things out much to her parents’ joy at first that turned to worry and embarrassment as she grew older. Having a curious and sharp mind, she did well in school, but was often bored. It wasn’t until High School, and the help of a History teacher, that she finally found some sort of outlet for her constantly working brain. She got her a volunteer job helping a Museum Curator research the things that came into the museum. Eventually it became a full time paying job when high school was over.
Brietta’s curiosity has led her down many paths, both dark and light. She’s been in both juvie and jail a time or two, hugged a tree, saved a whale, poached, stole a car, knifed a girl when she was 13, for stealing her boyfriend, and wanting to know what it would feel like, just to name a few experiences. Of course, the knife incident led her to swords, and she has practiced with them ever since.

PRIMARY skill (1): finding out things, i.e, research, experimentation, observation, stumbling across it, trying to build it, ect.

Major skill (2): sword use, building things, i.e. tree houses, hand crossbows, anything not overly mechanical.

Minor skill (5): knows which end of a pistol means business (but rarely hits anything she aims at), cooking (at least it’s edible anyway), street fighting, observation, direction sense (generally knows where North is).

Elliquiy stuff
Sexual orientation: Hetero
Limits: as a writer, I haven’t come across any yet. Maybe PM me first with an idea to discuss?
What I want out of this game: storyline, fun, and whatever the story brings out, I’m flexible like that.
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O