I do have an idea for a gm system if you would allow me to explain

Each character will start with the following stats
Health 50
Attack 30
Defence 30
Speed 30
Wit 50
Level 10

If you choose me to be game master i will control the monsters and right a list of monster levels and there stats and then control them and item drops, including chests. The outcome of a battle will purely come down to stats and then to avoid any godmodding i'll have a non combat character. With each floor monsters will get stronger and all the players willl need to do is keep an eye on there stats and those of the monsters

Haztur

something like that would work but that means every character is the same as the others, you could put a minimum, give some creations points and everone could just put the points were they feel accomodates more their kind of play (if someone wants to be more at defense than attack for example)

It also means that there are battles the characters would never be able to win just because of stats alone unless they get a bonus for equipment, weapons, armor, etc (we could make a list and make it random what people get when they win a battle or how much gold they earn so they can buy it in towns)
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained"
-Mark Twain

Latooni Subota

I highly suggest freeform, with some little benchmarks to keep people organized. After all, in Aincrad you only get a limited about of skill slots to fill with things ranging from weapon proficiency to crafting skills, and then however many Sword Skills you learn. Those should be the only things that need to be kept track of, and have a bit of GM adjudication for dealing with combat based on how your actions have been narrated. That's probably the best way to work SAO.

(Also, damnit Sabre. I was trying to get a SAO game going for a month on RPoL, and you suddenly decide to GM it here on Elliquiy? Argh! XD )
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

evangel

Sylia

Sabre

Quote from: evangel on September 12, 2012, 01:03:39 PM
I am quite interested!
Quote from: Latooni Subota on September 12, 2012, 12:51:55 PM
I highly suggest freeform, with some little benchmarks to keep people organized. After all, in Aincrad you only get a limited about of skill slots to fill with things ranging from weapon proficiency to crafting skills, and then however many Sword Skills you learn. Those should be the only things that need to be kept track of, and have a bit of GM adjudication for dealing with combat based on how your actions have been narrated. That's probably the best way to work SAO.

(Also, damnit Sabre. I was trying to get a SAO game going for a month on RPoL, and you suddenly decide to GM it here on Elliquiy? Argh! XD )

I can always count on you guys, can't I?

The more I wrack my brain over it, the more I think a freeform RP would be healthier for the RP in the long run.  We'll have a skills stat sheet to help define our characters and help the GM and player RP better, but I'm not sure number crunching any more than that is necessary unless people start trying to break the game.  And since it is an MMO regardless of the threat of death, I doubt anyone would care to roll-play daily farming runs against mobs, and would rather focus on interesting encounters and boss fights.

Maybe the best defense against god-moding is having a healthy disdain for it and thinking it would make for a boring game.  Though, azzmeister, a few simple numbers for players and monsters could help give everyone a sense of scale.

azzmeister89

sounds good to me, let me know what you need and i'll see if i can come up with something

Vaulera

Should we decide on the range of weapons allowed, because in SAO dual wielding one handed weapons is unique to the protagonist. Also, I must ask, will unique skills be included, or left out?

azzmeister89

i cant imagine they will but i can include a way of doing so if sabre agree's and then we'll work out a way to give them to people fairly

pendarious

im interested in this.

Iv'e  read the SAO light novel and basically ANY non magic weapons except for gunpowder type weapons appear to exist provided the character has the weapon skill.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Sabre

We should consider some world building - settings, NPCs, quests and monsters and bosses for levels 2-25.

As for weapons I think any kind of melee weapon that can be categorized simplistically should be fine for starting characters, and for special weapons maybe we can talk about an extra skill - like Klein's Katana skill - though these should rightly be rare.  No reason why some of our players couldn't be the other handful of players that gain these extra skills though!

As long as it isn't something god-like though like Dual Blade or Holy Sword, I doubt anyone else will have a problem.

Axes, spears, one/two handed swords, curved swords, maces, hammers, halberds, pikes, daggers and throwing knives, unarmed martial arts, claws and scythes, and even bow and arrow should all be game I think.

pendarious

that weapon set seems good though the extra skills arent always rare. Katana for instance is easily obtained by mastering One Handed Sword.

Dual Blades and Holy Sword were designed for one player period. Dual Blades  was given to the person with the highest Dexterity stat.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Sabre

Absolutely, though by Kirito's reckoning there were only about ten or so extra skill users per extra skill.  But PCs are always special, so by nature they'll likely be the ones to earn extra skills like these.

Maybe not katana, though, unless we change the bit about one-handed curved blade masters only.  We can get creative here, fortunately.

Anyone have ideas on the sort of character they'll be playing? Some party balancing and niche filling is always nice so we're not all the same type of player.

pendarious

eh i think ill take a heavily armored halberd wielder

azzmeister89

i'm going to be playing a character who has focused heavily on the smithing skill and like Kirito one handed sword skill (although not enough to do crazy stuff like unlock duel blades) he will have (with every ones permission unlocked a unique skill) "master forge" a unique skill that allows him to forge swords that are totally unique and even fuse ores to make new metal types to build these weapons, other then that his fighting style wont be anything spectacular.

pendarious

ok ive got no problems with that though i think it should apply to all weapons not just swords

Vaulera

I would want to play a character with skills that are limited to, in terms of weapons, claws and throwing knives, or a Warhammer and throwing knives. Something with throwing knives, whether it be using them at a range and swapping when necessary to a melee weapon, or throwing the daggers and then drawing a melee weapon, switching whenever. Whichever seems best. As for out of combat skills, I dunno, brewing?

azzmeister89

Quote from: pendarious on September 12, 2012, 03:30:28 PM
ok ive got no problems with that though i think it should apply to all weapons not just swords

naturally the skill applies to building all weapons types so don't worry

Sabre

If you take a look at Lisbeth's stats and skills: http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Lisbeth

Each class of weapon seems have its own stat to raise.

Edit: maybe we should consider a limited number of skill to start out with, if we start at a rather low level and assume people are still getting into the swing of things and learning new things about SAO every day.  That way we can RP into our desired character build rather than start with one mostly filled out already.

azzmeister89

that does sound better, so if you want to have a certain skill set you need to have your character work for it rather then already have everything, this will make things a whole lot easier

pendarious

I agree.

apparently  there are only about 12 skill slots

Latooni Subota

You already make unique weapons in SAO, as long as you have rare materials and a bit of luck. The Dark Repulsor is a unique weapon that Lisbeth made for Kirito with an extremely rare material and a lucky forging attempt. >.>

Fusing ores to make other ore types seems kind-of weird to me. Considering there's 100-floors worth of materials of various levels of rarity, is it really necessary to overcomplicate it further with materials that only a single person can ever make?

. . . No, I'm not bitter that azzmeister went with a similar concept to the idea I had . .  noo . . >.>;

But in all seriousness, I don't think it's something that needs a unique skill, when all that stuff can mostly already be done in the game by high-level blacksmiths.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

azzmeister89

ok you make a fair point, hmmmm maybe a skill that increases the chance of building unique weapons then and with everything else just gives the weapons higher stats then normal?

pendarious

well whatever the case you'll be working hard to get that thing

azzmeister89

true, if the whole group ends up being part of a single guild i'll probably get all the practice i need building and fixing weapons and armor