Sword Art Online [Light, Bon, Exotic, NC, Extreme]

Started by Sabre, September 10, 2012, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabre

No extra skills just yet, we'll grow into them as we RP though.  Something to look forward to and work for.  I don't mind the HP changes, as long as everyone's on the same page once we agree on a simple stat mechanic we'll all follow for convenience and consistency.

And don't worry about party balance too much if you'd rather play a certain archetype.  If I make a character myself, if I have one at all and not just several NPCs, I'll just fill in any gaps there might be.

NotoriusBEN

that's fine with the hp thing. I intentionally kept it low when I was thinking about it so that it wouldnt hang people up or have a lot of variance between sheets.

Latooni Subota

I was GOING to specialize in hammers for my original concept, but my new one doesn't feel like using hammers as a weapon, only as tools. X3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Sylia

Name: Tsubame Nanaya
Profile name: Sanga Somvolt
Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Offline Bio: Tsubame was one of the beta testers for SAO and stayed on when it was finally released to the public. She had no idea what was in store for her when the madman trapped them all in the game. But one of the first things people noticed about her when everyone's real self was revealed.. was that her looks didn't change at all. If anything it was just a little less makeup, but otherwise it didn't change. The reason being is because she never saw any reason to hide what she looked like behind an avatar and thusly always designed them after herself. While she herself noticed a subtle change in her body, Tsubame didn't fret too much about it. There was a way out and she was determined to get to it.

Level: 8
HP: 1440 (at 180 hp per level)
Strength: Good
Agility: Fair
Endurance: Excellent
Resistance: Poor
Luck: Fair

Skill slots: 7
Equipped skills:
--Sword Skills
--Great Cleave: A mighty leap and overhead chop. Very damaging for its simplicity.
--Stunning Flat: By smacking the foe's head with the flat of the blade, it is capable to stun them for a few seconds.
-GreatSword
-Parry
-Light metal equipment
-Meditation
-One handed Sword
-Sprint
-Escape

Main equipment: Iron Greatsword, Battle dress, Light metal greaves
Items: 2 teleport crystals, 9 Healing potions, 4 antidote potions

Vaulera

Again, with the two excellents, it makes me nervous because that means your characters two best attributes are both equal to and better than my own. I don't know what resistance even is, but it it has anything to do with armor, cloth or leather would be poor. I also count ten skills, not seven.

pendarious

Resistance is ones ability to quickly shake off poisons with a poor resistance one would absolutely have to rely on antidote crystals.

Math is my worst subject so i'm just going to ask someone else to calculate this for me.

If Sylia's character has 1,440 hp now with the 180 hp growth per level then how much Hp would she have at level 78?

the reason I asked that is because in SAO's side story "Black Swordsman" (Anime episode 4) Kirito states that he is level 78 with 14,500 HP
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Vaulera

If she had 180 per level, at 78, she would have 14220, which is less actually. I think that's fine, Kirito is the protagonist. Depending on what luck does, having two excellent stats would be a bit lopsided, considering agility strength and endurance are the three that most strongly or simply affect combat. That is if these stats even really mean much in the roleplay.

Sabre

Around 14000, so it's close.

Maybe Resistance might benefit from having another effect.  Something like poise, the ability to resist being stunned from heavy blows (since there's no pain, it's all mental).

pendarious

ok as I said I suck at math so thank you for the answer.

well technically I think it's resistance to poison, stunning, and of course confusion which has been proven to exist in SAO.

as for the whole pain thing being only mental....well since the nerve gear enacts the neurological impulses of the body and focuses them all in use in the game world I'm pretty sure getting hit still hurts like a bitch it's just since the conciousness is cut off from the real body the only thing it actually does is hurts your character the physical body feels nothing. though thats not to say that since the character is your conciousness your not feeling it. It's just that now that in game is your reality the pain is a hell of a lot worse.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

Vaulera

In the first episode of the show, Kirito explains to another new player that pain wasn't really the same in SAO. I think he said that he didn't feel it, but I wouldn't want to be quoted on that.

pendarious

NotoriusBEN

Indeed.

1 Excellent
1 Good
2 Fair
1 Poor

those are the choices for stats. I know its arbitrary in the end but it feels like min/maxing if people pick anything else.

If we gotta put a story element to this, beta testers have found that these amounts are the best available array for point distribution. Anything else is weaker because you dont have enough to purchase higher stats or you'd be leaving out points. (ie, even with three poor stats, its impossible to buy 2 excellent stats. -or- having 2 poor stats, its impossible to buy 1 excellent and 2 good stats. having 2 good stats, a fair stat and 2 poor stats wastes points because you cant buy a fair stat with what points are left, yadda yadda theory craft.)

tl;dr  dont try to shift stats.

For the skills, Sylia is ok.
7 of them are skills from the 50 list, but Great Cleave and Stunning Flat (the ones with two hyphens) are Sword Skills. The --Sword Skills is just the title for her skills in her character sheet.

pendarious

I find it rather arbitrary to complain when people choose to make their characters slightly weaker by using 1-2 excellent stats especially if the GM hasn't complained about it.

Sabre

I likely won't be the only GM, but let's stick to just one pattern when dealing with player stats.  One excellent and one good would promote more individual characters instead of two excellents.  We have two characters now with excellent strength and endurance, and it would be more interesting to have one with excellent strength with the other having excellent endurance instead.

Sylia

Just for the sake of not rocking the boat, I changed my strength to good

Vaulera

Thanks a bunch, I know it might seem like minor griping, but it makes me feel more at ease anyway.

pendarious

ah well I dont want to cause too much hassel so i'll drop my endurance to good. and boosted my HP to 1,300 to go with the gear and good endurance.

Vergil1989

So what would a fair Endurance rating net me for HP do you guys think if we're up to the thousand range now?
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Latooni Subota

Well, if we assume that Sylia is our benchmark for TANKIEST OF TANK HP, then wouldn't this work?

Excellent = 1400-ish
Good = 1200-1300
Fair = 1000-1100
Poor = 800-900

I think it's a pretty decent arrangement, and should work fine considering it's just an abstraction.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

azzmeister89

Name: Tetsuya Taiga
Profile name: Tetsuga
Appearance: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=anime+guys&start=196&num=10&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1440&bih=740&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=X042jwI1j2LllM:&imgrefurl=http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-597196/why-do-some-people-have-crush-on-anime-characters%3Fpg%3D3&docid=9R7gKrzkbTDF4M&imgurl=http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/57738fd5260506669effe3467c5091a81263101505_full.jpg&w=401&h=300&ei=kfFUUNyiM8nO0QXKuIHADQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=937&vpy=184&dur=905&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=174&ty=83&sig=111797263833808697974&page=8&tbnh=158&tbnw=231&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:196,i:18
Offline Bio: Tetsuya had always been off school with bad health, and his parents found him to much of a burden and gave him computer games to occupy his time when his home tutor wasn't around, at age seventeen he was told he had maybe four years left to live so his parents bought him <SAO> to take his mind of things.

Level: 7
HP: 85
Strength: good
Agility: poor
Endurance: excellent
Resistance: fair
Luck: excellent

Skill slots:
slash weapon forging
thrust weapon forging
one handed blade
equipment maintenance
battle healing
light armor
parry 
Equipped skills:
sword arm change
arc slash
mirage thrust
under cut

Main equipment: steel plated right leg armor, steel plated left boot, steel plated right gauntlet, steel plated left arm armor full, steel plated breast plate, one handed long sword
Items: 1x teleport crystal, 1x Antidote crystal, 1x healing crystal

Vergil1989

Works for me.  Thanks Latooni.  Athena as I've called her is more rogue than tank, hence why I had her Endurance be only a Fair and her Agility an Excellent if I remember right.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

pendarious

Latooni Subota

A couple other things I've had people point out:

Crystals- Crystals aren't exactly common, or cheap. I can understand everyone saving up to buy a teleport crystal for those OHGOD moments, and MAYBE one of the cheaper ones like an antidote if they're a moneymaking class (i.e. the blacksmiths, and I think someone was a brewer?) but I'm seeing a LOT of crystals. We're low level guys!

Field Forge- I'd . . ask for approval on that. We've only seen forging inside actual buildings with whole rooms devoting to it so far, so I'd be hesitant to agree with an item to forge weapons in the field, no matter how useful it would be for me. x.o

Sylia

Not to mention that's the kind of thing people get ganked over. So no need for giving the pkers ideas, y'know?

Vaulera

Hmm, I didn't think of that Latooni, thanks, I'll go change that right now, cut out the antidote and reduce it to 1 and 1. It only makes sense, considering how almost none of the lower level players had this kind of abundance, and Kirito saying that the client paid a fortune for one tp crystal with a specific destination.