Anime Sliders - Interest Check

Started by SpiralSpider, July 19, 2012, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiralSpider

You do not need to be familiar with any anime at all to play this if you're happy just adventuring. ^.^

A few years ago I was President of the Anime club on my campus. Just for fun, my husband ran an epic BESM-based game where we played ourselves - with the eventual addition of fantastic powers of some kind - and hopped from world to world, having a chance to experience story elements and canon characters from different shows. The game's popularity was pretty high and it was requested several times over and we played a few different versions of it. I've since transferred, but I look back on it fondly and I miss my friends.

What I'd like to do for this game is bring the Sliders back. If anyone remembers the 90's scifi show 'Sliders' - it was supposed to be along the same lines as that (or.... Quantum Leap, possibly) where our group of intrepid heroes have some mission given to them (that they're likely unaware of entirely) and they have to complete it and move on to the next world. 

Originally, my husband ran the show because of his good story-telling skills and an extensive knowledge in different shows - Anime, Video Games and one or two western cartoons (like Avatar). For this game, we could rope him (Worshipping Master) into being our GM or we can all (or a small group of us) take turns GMing in the worlds we are most familiar with (while still playing our characters, if we wish). Obviously we will only be able to travel to certain worlds if one of the people familiar with them is willing to GM that world. Master's awareness is pretty big but not all-encompassing, and my own is pretty limited. So if you're looking forward to interaction with a particular character and we don't know the show, it will be a lot easier for you to find someone else to run that part of the game so you don't take it over by, well, essentially talking to yourself. ^.^'

For those of you who may be interested, the following is open for discussion:

• Should we play ourselves? Or Characters? If characters, OC's or people from other storylines (cannons) or a mix?
  • System or no system? (We used Big Eye Small Mouth (BESM D20) last time)  - If no system, how should combat be handled?
  • How much combat would everyone like to see compared with character interaction? If enough people are for it, we can make it more fan service and fun than actual supernatural quest.
  • Which shows (or games, possibly) would you like to see in the list? How should we choose the order we visit them? Dice rolling? Voting?
  • Should sex be an element of this game?
  • Should we open the worlds up to non-anime-style themes? Movies? TV shows?

The one trouble we had when we played this game tabletop is that some people whined and complained when they were in a world they were unfamiliar with. (Master made a list and randomly rolled the next world we "jumped" to) To me, that's a major part of the fun - the exploration and adventure. Obviously, with the opinions, desires and knowledge of many people being involved, you're bound to end up somewhere you you're unfamiliar with, so just keep that in mind.

Also - originally these were short stints of interaction in each world. If you want something that lasts longer, we might want to make a separate game for that so some players don't get stuck in a place they don't know and have no interest in for months on end.

Master World List
*Ah My Goddess
**Ai Yori Aoshi
Bleach
Blue Sub 6
Brisco Count Jr.
Bubblegum Crisis (and variants)
*Full Metal Alchemist
**Full Metal Panic
Hell Girl
Ikki Tousen
**Last Exile (and/or Last Exile - Fam the Silver Wing)
**Kino's Journey
My Hime
*Naruto
Neo-ranga
**Noir
*Pokemon
Rayearth Universe
Read or Die
Sailor Moon
Sakura Wars TV
*Samurai Champloo
Sekirei
Silent Mobius
Simoun
*Tenchi Muyo universe
Tenjou Tenge
Tokko
Wedding Peach
Witch-blade
*Wolf's Rain
Yu-gi-oh
*Yu Yu Hakusho

(* indicates shows myself or Worshipping master are familiar with
** indicates we've seen the entirety of the show.)
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

MzHyde

I see Yu Yu Hakusho is on there.  ;D

Sliders was great until the 4th season or so when XXXX was killed off. If you've seen the show, you know who I mean. Then there was that whole other Quinn thing or whatever they were doing there, and the storyline with the Kromaggs. Ick. It was so much better when they could just have a 'world of the week' and do whatever they felt like doing without being roped in. Same thing happened to the X-Files, and to MST3k.

I don't want to clog up your topic with TV chat though, so I'll stop there. I don't know a lot about anime at all. The only ones I've seen are; Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slayers, Samurai Champloo, and Trigun. Never really got into Bleach or Naruto or anything like that.

SpiralSpider

Yes, I blame that on you.  :P

And I agree with what you said... there was really no point in keeping it going then. -.-

Do you want me to add those to the list... that is, if you're interested perhaps?

MzHyde

Naw, I'm just not into anime enough. I just couldn't resist commenting about Sliders.  :P

SpiralSpider

Wheresmycow

Just popping in right now to let you know I like this idea, I'm a big fan of BESM 3E myself, and I'll properly answer those six questions right after this post.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Wheresmycow

Should we play ourselves? Or Characters? If characters, OC's or people from other storylines (cannons) or a mix?
Ourselves is always a tricky affair.  It can be really fun, but if sex gets involved and other drama arises, things can get nasty real fast.  So while I'm willing to do it, it's something that takes a lot of trust.  OC's I like over canon, but I don't have a problem with mixes.  I just don't like playing canon characters because I'm bad at that, not any moral reservation over it.

System or no system? (We used Big Eye Small Mouth (BESM D20) last time)  - If no system, how should combat be handled?
I personally like systems, but it can slow down if people aren't familiar with them.  I like BESM 3e quite a bit, largely because I so rarely get to use it.  That being said, there's a lot of other systems I'm familiar with, and I can freeform it as well.  If there isn't a system, combat can be resolved with "Rule of Interesting": if it's more interesting to take a hit, take it.  If it's not, don't.

How much combat would everyone like to see compared with character interaction? If enough people are for it, we can make it more fan service and fun than actual supernatural quest.
I'm weird, I like playing combat characters in social situations.  Combat is just something for me to show off my system skills: a large portion of my fun comes from doing talky bits.  But hey, I'm for killing dudes too.

Which shows (or games, possibly) would you like to see in the list? How should we choose the order we visit them? Dice rolling? Voting?
Random!  Always random!  More seriously, I'm for whatever.

Should sex be an element of this game?
Does not matter to me if sex is in or not.  I won't bemoan it if it isn't, and I won't hate it if it is.

Should we open the worlds up to non-anime-style themes? Movies? TV shows?
Well, if we are using BESM and stuff, I might suggest sticking to anime.  I guess things depend on how the overall tone of the game is, and then maybe finding appropriate worlds to drop into.  Because a high adventure sliders game I don't think would mesh well with something like Walking Dead.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

avorae

Wow I haven't seen that show in forever. I need to see if Netflix has it and re-watch it now.

As for the game itself I would be quite interested in it so9 on to the questions...

1.Should we play ourselves? Or Characters? If characters, OC's or people from other storylines (cannons) or a mix?

A. I say we do a mix of all three. Though me personally I would more than likely do an OC.

2.System or no system? (We used Big Eye Small Mouth (BESM D20) last time)  - If no system, how should combat be handled?

A. I'd say we do a system and BESM is played quite a bit on this site so it would work just fine. (Though most run BESM 3rd edition)

3.How much combat would everyone like to see compared with character interaction? If enough people are for it, we can make it more fan service and fun than actual supernatural quest.

A. My personal split is usually 50% interaction, 25% mystery/puzzle solving/ETC, and 25% combat and I would love to have lots of fan service thrown in when possible.

4.Which shows (or games, possibly) would you like to see in the list? How should we choose the order we visit them? Dice rolling? Voting?

A.  Ah My Goddess, My Hime,  Ai Yori Aoshi, Brisco Count Jr., Witch-blade (Live action or anime or even both), Ikki Tousen, Sekirei, and Tenjou Tenge are just a few of the ones I'd like to see us pop into at some point. As for how to decide which we would end up in I say make it a random dice roll as it fits more in line with the show.

5.Should sex be an element of this game?

A.I don't mid if sex is a part of the game as long as it does not become the entire focus of it
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

SpiralSpider

I'm afraid Master and I are completely unfamiliar with the TriStat edition of the BESM game. :/

avorae

I am familiar enough with the D20 version as well if that is the way you wish to go.

Wheresmycow

I have the d20 version of BESM as well, so I could give that a whirl.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

SpiralSpider

Or we could go with Wheresmycow's idea of " If there isn't a system, combat can be resolved with "Rule of Interesting": if it's more interesting to take a hit, take it.  If it's not, don't"

That might be the easiest way to include the most amount of people without starting a crash course in a system?

The only way I see that rule being an issue is if one character had to fight another rather than an NPC.

Wheresmycow

Then heads-or-tails becomes your best friend.  Someone is 1, someone is 2 and dicebot determines the winner.  Don't do it for each action though, just determine the scene winner, and then tell the fighters they have x amount of posts to make it look good.

Or if the players trust each other enough, negotiate.  "I'm willing to lose if I get -this-."
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

SpiralSpider

MzHyde had a really nice system she used in the Dark Tournament (Yu Yu Hakusho) game she ran. I could ask if she wouldn't mind if we adopted that one.

It was based on a D20 roll - with a 1 resulting in losing a term 2-14 miss 15-19 hit and 20 being a critical (doing 2 pts damage verses 1).

This dice system makes it a little more complicated than a coin toss, but if the hp isn't too high, it might make for a more interesting scene. The negotiation is good, though.

I'm up for anything, really, as long as I understand it and everyone else is happy with it.

avorae

Well I am more of a system person myself but I am up for whatever the majority votes for.

Vaulera

I have a definite interest in playing this game, it looks like a lot of fun.

SpiralSpider

Awesome. ^.^

Any thoughts on the discussion points?  - Particularly - do you have a preference for system/no system?

Vaulera

Though I have practically no experience with system rp's I would like to learn, and I think system just plain makes it easier to deal with combat in an anime-style roleplay.

Bloody Rose

I am a BESM 3.0 Story teller so yeah if I join I would go for System. Also I have knowledge in Naruto, Bleach, Mai Hime, Yu-gi-oh! and a few others.

Cayden

I would like to play I wouldn't mind just playing myself and d20 besm is fine by I'm quite familiar with the game.

Muse

If you don't have too many already, I find this to be a really neat idea. 

I've been branching out into free-form lately, but still prefer system--or at least system light.  I've reviewed BESEM d20 before and suspect I could work with it just fine. 

I do prefer at least a bit of action, and at least the opportunity for sexuality to play into it.  It can be a lot of fun to 'pump a guard for information' or flirt with an enemy to distract them.  I'm also a bit of a xenophile myself and can imagine a 'captain kirk' type occurring in this scenario--new girl in every world. 

I don't mind random world of arrival--though I don't want the GM to feel compelled to stick to it. 

All the worlds you've brought up so far sound interesting too me, I'm somewhat familiar with some of them, less with others.  If you know enough to run it, it would be nice to put Read or Die on the list.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

SpiralSpider

O.O Muse....

I have read some of your shit.... (You play with a friend of mine) You can be one scary motherfucker....

Sorry for the language. And, no, I don't think we've reached our limit yet but I hope we can come to some sort of an agreement with the people we do have so far as to what system we'll use. (Either mostly free-form or BESM D20 seems to be in the lead, though some have opted for 3rd Ed BESM, which I am unfamiliar with, sadly.)

avorae

It seems that most of us are fine with BESM D20 for the game from my last count.

SpiralSpider

Can I get an idea of how many people would be up for GMing some worlds?

If no one else volunteers, then Master will run everything but we'll be limited to what he knows. (Indicated by asterisks above)

avorae

Well I am not very good at running games but if need be I can act as a co-GM if you need any help with a particular world.

Here is what I am familiar with that has thuds far been Listed....

Master World List
**Ah My Goddess
**Ai Yori Aoshi
**Brisco Count Jr.
*Full Metal Alchemist
**Full Metal Panic
**Ikki Tousen
**Last Exile
**My Hime
**Sekirei
**Tenjou Tenge
**Witch-blade
Yu Yu Hakusho

*shows familiar with
**seen the entirety of the show